Hi Zarakas and welcome to the Redux-Area and the forum…
Assuming here that Redux is installed correctly (no MTW-version conflicts, a blue front-end etc. etc.) - why indeed?
Arrows have always been included in Redux from day 1, and here is a pic on some arrows in Reduxed battle...
Now, do your archer-units fire at all? This, by for instance using left mouse-button, first selecting/clicking your archer-unit, then by using the same left mouse-button again, selecting/clicking on a target/enemy-unit X (within range that is)? Thus also changing the mouse-pointer into a small drawn bow & arrow – when doing so? Still, no arrows-GFX, animations or sound effects around anywhere?
No, the archer units do not fire at all. Enemy in range, mouse-pointer shows drawn bow & arrow. However no arrows are fired. The archer units just march into melee. I have loaded redux on two computers, and both with same result. Redux works fine on both computers when playing except for arrows issue. I have loaded other mods successfully and do not have this issue. I installed redux on new MTW install etc. Any guidance on this matter is much appreciated.
I must admit that I have never encountered this problem before. Thus, I am afraid that you will have to “help me help you” by answering a bunch of dreary questions and performing various dull tasks for me. Don’t take offence if I am overly obvious here as it has nothing to do with you personally. I am that because experience shows that it is better that way, then the other way around. If you have further questions on these things, feel free to ask and we sort it out as we go. Now, regardless what happens next - I need more information, facts and clues to be able to do this….
Do a bunch of solo-battles and systematically test the following…
• Longbowmen, do they fire arrows? Y/N? (English, have ‘em)
• Royal Archers, do they fire arrows? (Polish…)
• Archers, do they fire arrows? (Polish)
• Feudal Archers, do they fire arrows? (Spanish)
• Slavic Bowmen, do they fire arrows? (Polish)
• Slavic Forresters, do they fire arrows? (Polish)
• Muslim Archers, do they fire arrows? (Moors)
• Crossbowmen, do they fire bolts? (English)
• Skirmishers, do they throw spears? (Spanish)
• Naptha throwers, do they throw “jars”/pottery and do the following explosions show up? (Byzantine)
• Regular Infantry, do the torches show up when they attack either a castle gate/fort wall/shack/tent/whatever on the battlemap? Does the fire show up, when a tent is destroyed? Use the “Acre”-battlemap to find that out… (English)
• Do corpses show up as units take casualties?
Do all these things show up as supposed to? If not, then which/what unit/thing fails to deliver?
Files… Check on these files…. I want to know their timestamps….
• “ProjectileStats.txt”, when was it last changed? (Use properties to find out)
• “crusaders_unit_prod11.txt”, when was it last changed?
• Do you have an “XPLOPAGE.LBM” file? When was it last changed? You find it within “?:\...\...\...\Redux - Total War\Textures\Men”.
Please post up the relevant data....
Screens…. Make me some screens….
Use the “F2” button to take screens and post em up and they should be at least 1024x768 or above in resolution. Convert the relevant TGA’s to high quality jpegs (80+). You find them in the TGA folder within the main gamefolder. Upload the screens somewhere (then provide links here) or preferably put them up directly here. If the pics are real big, use spoilers, if you don’t know how to do that, then I can throw them in for you later. Anyways, I want…
• 1 full fontend-screen with the MTW-version and Redux version clearly visible.
• 1 camp/strat-map screen with interface visible, for instance select your most developed province and show what buildings you have there or some such.
• 1 full battle screen showing the problematic archers/unit (feudal or Byzantine archers will do for instance) in action, preferably with other units around. The white unit markers and all interface should be visible.
• 1 full battle screen showing various units in action. The white unit markers and all interface should be visible.
• 1 full battle screen clearly showing trees, houses and surroundings and some units in it. Interface need not be visible.
A bit excessive perhaps, but it will be better this way... Just to make sure essentially.
What Redux-stuff have you downloaded? Where?
What is your OS (state both, if different)?
GFX-card(s) (state both, if different)?
Have you remapped keys or something like that?
Have you modded the game somehow? If so, what?
Once I have all that information, my chances of sorting this out are considerably better and we might get a successful conclusion (I hope). Be as accurate as possible, when possible. As I get more information on this I can hopefully narrow things down and get a better clue what might be the problem.
Hi Axalon, appreciate the detailed response. I have answered as best i can.
• Longbowmen, do they fire arrows? Y/N? (English, have ‘em) - No
• Royal Archers, do they fire arrows? (Polish…) - No
• Archers, do they fire arrows? (Polish) No
• Feudal Archers, do they fire arrows? (Spanish) - No
• Slavic Bowmen, do they fire arrows? (Polish) - No
• Slavic Forresters, do they fire arrows? (Polish) - No
• Muslim Archers, do they fire arrows? (Moors) - No
• Crossbowmen, do they fire bolts? (English) - No
• Skirmishers, do they throw spears? (Spanish) - No
• Naptha throwers, do they throw “jars”/pottery and do the following explosions show up? (Byzantine) - No
• Regular Infantry, do the torches show up when they attack either a castle gate/fort wall/shack/tent/whatever on the battlemap? Does the fire show up, when a tent is destroyed? Use the “Acre”-battlemap to find that out… (English) The fire shows up when tent is burning, smoke, dust shows up. However no torches show up.
• Do corpses show up as units take casualties? - Yes
Files… Check on these files…. I want to know their timestamps….
• “ProjectileStats.txt”, when was it last changed? - Created 24th February 2012. Modified 19th January 2008.
• “crusaders_unit_prod11.txt”, when was it last changed? - Created 24th February 2012. Modified 23rd November 2008
• Do you have an “XPLOPAGE.LBM” file? When was it last changed? - 24th February 2012. Modified 14th January 2008.
I could not print/save screen shots.
Downloaded from atomicgamer, MTW Redux Beta 1002 and Redux VI - upgrade Beta 1002
Version copied to - MTW V2.01
OS - Windows vista 32bit
GFX card - ATI Radeon4870
Thanks for all info so far, however I must insist on a few "ingame"-screens to enable me to get total clarity here. If the "F2" option does not work (which it should) for you - then use the "Print Screen" button. Press it 5-6 times on each screen I need here. Then use "Alt+escape" to get out of the game and paste (ctrl+V) your screen-dump onto a blank page in MS Paint (found in assessoaries) - then save that, select JPEG as file-format.
Attach the results directly to this thread, or upload them somewhere (Image Shack or whatever) and then link it to this thread somehow, using BB code (see: http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/misc.php?do=bbcode), or whatever solution you like. The important part is that I must be able to see the screens (preferably here) somehow. There is no way around this. I must have the screens somehow before I can truly do this.
• A game-start-meny/Front-end/"first thing that show up"-menu, starting the game-program. Entire screen.
• A Strat/camp-map screen with visible interface. Take one of the British Isles or Scandinavia for instance. Preferable with an army-piece or castle selected.
• A battle-screen/solo-battle with Feudal Archers and some 5+ other units "in action".
• Another battle-screen/solo-battle with various other units in action, archer/crossbows/regular infantry/royal knights no matter. Try to have view with some trees and fort as well in it. Otherwise do an additional screen with fort/castle/trees specifically AND a visible interface with the white unitmarkes. Carcano is good map for this stuff.
It is already clear to me that something is seriously wrong but I do need the screens to see the extent of all this. So, please post up the corresponding screens somehow.
After you posted up the screens, I suggest you do an additional clean plain install of MTW and patch it up (if neccesary) - exactly in the fashion outlined by CA. Deviating from that while installing or patching up can make the game behave weirdly (don't ask me why). Once that is done, you store that fresh install somewhere and use it as a future reference-copy to make additional copies from for future use.
Anyways, I suspected as much.... Now if you have already made a healthy fresh and properly patched install of MTW V.2.01 (if not, do so) - make copy of that and then download and install the following stuff ASAP on top. First...
And then see how that goes... As it is - and the screens proves this - you are currently using an outdated 2nd ED version which was retired in 2011 (Redux 1.0b - to be exact). RXB1002 (ReduX Beta 1002) is a part of the newer generation betas (for 3rd ED) launched in 2011 which is still under development prior to the official release of 3rd Edition of Redux - which in effect will be Redux 2.0 someday (essentially). In short, a later, better and reworked version of Redux. Anyways, once the above stuff is downloaded and properly installed we will be on the same page at least.
Also try to change Vista-catalyst drives as they are the reason you have these problems in the first place. Try the latest drives available for HD48xx (failing that, the 2010 April/may drives might work) and if that don't work out try to find some Catalyst 11.8 or later drives up to Cata 11.12, that might also work. Regardless, it is the ATI/AMD Vista-drives (and possibly the Vista OS as well that is) causing the fuss and anomalies here - that much is clear. In case you have missed it, Vista (any version) hold the status of "not officially supported"/unconfirmed OS for all RXB 1xxx releases.
As of RXB1003, Windows 7 will be officially supported by Redux. Vista however will remain unconfirmed indefinitely. Some people claim it works but I don't have any Vista so I can't check anything on that OS. Regardless, install all new stuff and see how it goes. Hopefully, things will work out with some other GFX-drivers. Do a bunch of systematic tests as outlined in my first post. Please report back here with your findings, once all new stuff is in place and tested.
As a last, last resort fire up a raw MTW game and check if that works with the arrows - in the event that it actually does - then you copy
an original MTW V2.01 "XPLOPAGE.LBM"-file and use that to replace the Redux-version. Only do that when all else fails.