Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New patch?

Default Re: New patch?

Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    Nanbans are nerfed that heavily? I'm a sad froggy - they were the only reason I could see to convert to Christianity! They were overpowered, but considering the time, expense and future hassle involved in converting, the reward needs to be suitably alluring.

I can't remember seeing any general's speeches since I installed FotS. I haven't tried a S2/RotS campaign yet, so I can't say whether it's a general lack or something specific to my campaign.

That one has been around for a long time. I unlocked it in June, if I remember correctly I 'earned' it during a castle siege. I have never played a single MP game.

I've been given another MP achievement: my 'requiem of the dead' has been exchanged for 'skilled warrior'. The unlock date remains the same, meaning that I supposedly unlocked the achievement 4 months before it existed! No idea if I will be able to unlock requiem a second time.

The in-game encyclopaedia, or the one you can access outside of the game via the steam menu?

There are bug threads on the official forums, totalwar.com. CA do read them, although they frequently do not reply. There's a few CA staff who read threads here too. I think that there is a way to submit bug reports via Sega's technical support pages.
    @Nanbans: In your guide, you said skilled players could sink fleets with a single ship. That is no longer the case, now you need 3 Nanbans against a typical AI fleet in naval battles for certain victory.
    It's confirmed that FotS has no general pre-battle speeches, my beef is that my game is somewhat glitched since some battles in particular(?) don't give a speech while others do.

@Achievements: Prior to the patch, I wasn't getting achievements I should have earned by right. Now it's the other way round, coupled with your case it appears adding in the FotS achievements has once again screwed up the Achievements system.

@Encyclopaedia: I would think it doesn't matter which way the encyclopaedia is accessed, but I can confirm the browser-based encyclopaedia has the messed-up order.

@Bug reporting: I've signed up on the official forums and posted a thread regarding the speeches on the technical support side, as of yet I've not seen any replies.

Quote Originally Posted by Harleyquin12 View Post
    @Nanbans: In your guide, you said skilled players could sink fleets with a single ship. That is no longer the case, now you need 3 Nanbans against a typical AI fleet in naval battles for certain victory.
    Gah! Nanbans are relatively expensive and slow to build, needing so many kills any hint of an advantage. There goes my only reason to play the occasional Christian game.

It's confirmed that FotS has no general pre-battle speeches
    I hadn't seen anything about that and so didn't know if it was related or not.

I can confirm the browser-based encyclopaedia has the messed-up order.
    In that case I can confirm that particular problem is not universal. Mine displays the ninja family correctly, and I haven't spotted any errors elsewhere.
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.

Gah! Nanbans are relatively expensive and slow to build, needing so many kills any hint of an advantage. There goes my only reason to play the occasional Christian game.

I hadn't seen anything about that and so didn't know if it was related or not.

In that case I can confirm that particular problem is not universal. Mine displays the ninja family correctly, and I haven't spotted any errors elsewhere.
    For my Mori long game on hard, having the big Nanban navy and one normal stack of regular ships seems to work and doesn't break my budget, it helps that I used my huge treasury to buy myself a 40+ rice surplus so that trade is no longer a red figure. That would probably leave playing Christianity as a means of getting all of the Chi arts researched long before the AI does, plus the nice rebellions.

There's at least one thread on the official forums mentioning the lack of speeches in FotS.

I had a quick check on the encyclopaedia in-game and the off-game version using my browser. In-game the building order is correct, using my browser as I type this on the other hand reveals a messed-up order for the Craftswork, Intellectual, Naval, Smith and port chain buildings. This is when I check this: file:///C:/program%20files%20%28x86%29/steam/steamapps/common/total%20war%20shogun%202/data/encyclopedia/buildings.html

Senior Member Senior Member Forward Observer's Avatar

There is big argument going on about changes in graphic quality on both the official forum over at TW center. One guy was able post before and after shots by recreating screenies he had taken of the historical battle of Sekigahara prior to the patch. Based on those shots, the graphics have definitely taken a hit for the worse.

Anyway, several people are in a uproar about it. Now it could be that some of these changes were put in place to boost general performance and also to accomplish having 40 units on the battlefield, but a big contention is that none of this is mentioned in the patch notes

Previously, many had complained of the glossy plastic look of the units, which now appears to have been removed. Some argue that they like the change while others are saying that they want it back. However, the real crux of the matter is that it appears other graphic changes were also made in the process. CraigTW has posted that CA made a design decision to remove the gloss from the units, but he has not acknowledged any of the other perceived graphical changes which include:

1. Swords and spears no longer glint in the Sun.
    2. The draw distance has been reduced. One can pan back from a unit and easily see each soldier's face disappear at a point that is a bit too obvious.
    3. The special AA (I forget what it's called) that was added for ATI cards doesn't work any more. I have NVidia, and never used this setting.
    4. Textures have been reduced to the point that black and red costume components look simply garrish with no depth or clarity. This may associated with the gloss removal, but The Mori particularly look bad now.
    5. Blood effects (decals) on dead bodies are gone. (this has been confirmed by CA as a possible bug)
    6. It is claimed that DOF and HDR are not working correctly also. I don't use these, so I can't comment for sure.

I'm sure there are another one or two complaints, but these are just off the top of my head. Some of this I might not have noticed if not mentioned. I never cared for the over glossy look of the units, but overall I am less pleased with the look of Shogun II after the patch.

It also could be my imagination, but too many of the battles now look like there is layer of dirty industrial smog everywhere. I just don't think the battle side of the game looks as good as it did, but I'll refrain from whining too much about it until the guys at CA formerly respond to the complaints.

Cheers
    Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.

I had not paid that much attention to it but yeah, now that you mention it. All reflection effects as well as sword glints are actually gone.

-E- One thing I seem to notice atm is that the game seems to randomly crash at time >_> Like just stop working. The process just ends, desktop, Shogun gone lol.
    Last edited by Sp4; 04-07-2012 at 17:05.

I haven't played since the patch, although I have an on-going Mori long campaign.

I decided to take a look; graphics are darker and flatter (if that makes sense :p)
    The reports logged here actually make me hesitant to play a turn; I don't like surprises in the middle of a game. I have no DLC at all so the question is: why am I subjected to the patch? If I get my nerve up I'll play a few turns tomorrow; thank you all for the information on the current state of the game.
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Quote Originally Posted by HopAlongBunny View Post
    I haven't played since the patch, although I have an on-going Mori long campaign.

I decided to take a look; graphics are darker and flatter (if that makes sense :p)
    The reports logged here actually make me hesitant to play a turn; I don't like surprises in the middle of a game. I have no DLC at all so the question is: why am I subjected to the patch? If I get my nerve up I'll play a few turns tomorrow; thank you all for the information on the current state of the game.
    Going forward, if you can stand it, place and leave STEAM in OFFLINE mode until you finish a game. That'll prevent unwarranted updates. I too have a game going pre-patch and have kept STEAM in OFFLINE mode until I finish my current game. There's nothing on STEAM that's so important to ruin an ongoing game.

Member thankful for this post:

A hotfix is now available:

Quote Originally Posted by CraigTW from .com
    Hi all,

We've just released a patch for a couple of issues.

Fix for blood effect in blood pack
    Fixed occasional crash when entering Avatar Conquest Map
    Miscellaneous other crash fixes
    Fixed an issue where trees could appear black
    Fix for level 9 clan skill lockout

Enjoy!

The Creative Assembly
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.

Feedback isn't that great for the hotfix, it seems the problems they fixed in the hotfix are only partial, not complete. There are complaints that the blood decals only cover half the body.

I've got problems with draw distances after the hotfix. Units use low detail models much sooner, and they visibly 'pop' between the various detail levels as my camera gets closer and further. Unless my camera is right up in their faces, they are so lacking in detail they look like plastic miniature soldiers. They used to transition seamlessly, and use higher detail for much longer. This with a geforce 560 ti 1GB, latest drivers. I do not have the blood pack.

Considering overall game performance took a big dive with the FotS patch/FotS installation, I'm not that happy. I had to turn a bunch of settings down in order to restore a smooth frame rate, and now the game won't even display properly at that reduced level. Add in the missing gloss and detail maps (e.g. chipped lacquer on helmet rims) and the game has taken a large visual hit on my machine. I'm not a graphics nutter but this texture popping business is distracting, and reducing both performance and fidelity is a losing combo.

I'm not trying to do anything crazily ambitious either. These aren't 40v40 battles - I haven't even fought a 20v20 since the patch! These are all medium-sized battles.

Yesterday I started a new campaign with the Oda. The perfomance is much better then before the patch. (before the patch the game often only accepted one command per second).
    The Takeda were very friendly to me, but the rest were extremly aggresive, but not effective. Often they didn't try to capture the prefectures, they attacked my stacks, when they were near or putted something in fire. In the first two years I got three declarations of war without any reason, several incoming half stacks and 2 nearly full stacks. So I had no units left to defeat the rest of the Imagawa, so I made a peace treaty with them. In this time I made an alliance with the takeda. In the third year the ikko-ikki came with 2 Stacks, ronin-heavy stacks,(how the f. they could get them so fast?) but where defeated by one and a half stacks from the Takeda and one of my stacks. Don't ask me why they supported me.
    After that the game was easy. The Takeda still supported me without any reason and they where the only other surviving clan, which sended stacks together. The rest send their stacks separate -> ineffectiv.

My Oda campaign was very different - after I destroyed Tokugawa and made peace with the Imagawa they stayed loyal but first the Takeda and then the Hattori attacked me.

Had exactly the same experience with the Ikko Ikki ronin hordes in several pre-patch campaigns.

Did think that the AI was more aggressive but not sure now....

Is anyone else having problems after this week's three hotfixes? I cannot get the game to load at all, it just sits there on the initial loading screen forever. Verifying the game's cache with steam didn't help.

Senior Member Senior Member Forward Observer's Avatar

Is anyone else having problems after this week's three hotfixes? I cannot get the game to load at all, it just sits there on the initial loading screen forever. Verifying the game's cache with steam didn't help.
    No problems here. I also have the same GPU as you. My CPU is 1st generation 2.9 Ghz I7 that I got in anticipation of Empire back in 2009. The card is the only upgrade I've made to my system since then.

I will add that I rarely, if ever, got a crash with Shogun 2, but since the release of FOTS and the subssquent patch to the main game, I get either a complete lock up or a "Shogun II stopped working" default for about every 2 hours of game play. It's not as bad, but it almost reminds of the early days with EmpireTW--LOL.

Cheers
    Last edited by Forward Observer; 04-29-2012 at 20:15.
    Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.

War Story Recorder Senior Member Maltz's Avatar

I got a similar problem some time ago and wrote to Sega. This is their reply - hope it helps:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting SEGA Support.

In order to troubleshoot the issue, please follow these steps and try running the game after each one:

1) Use the secondary installer for Visual C++ and rename the ClientRegistry.blob file:
    - Navigate to the following folder: C:\Program files\Steam\steamapps\common\total war shogun 2\redist
    - Inside the "redist" folder, double click on the "vcredist_x86" executable
    - When installation is finished, and after making sure that Steam is not running (if it is open, use the top menu: "Steam" -> "Exit"), navigate to its installation path: C:\Program files\Steam
    - Right-click the file named "ClientRegistry.blob" and select "Rename". Change the name of this file to "ClientRegistryOld.blob"

2) Uninstall C++ 2005 and reinstall it, as it might have become corrupt:

- Click on Start -> Control Panel
    Windows Vista / 7: Select “Programs and features” (or “Uninstall a program”)
    Windows XP: Select “Add or remove programs”

- Click on Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable and select “Uninstall”. Do this for all instances of Visual C++ 2005
    - Once Visual C++ 2005 has been completely uninstalled, access the following path: C:\Program files\Steam\steamapps\common\total war shogun 2\redist
    - Inside the "redist" folder, double click on the "vcredist_x86" executable to reinstall Visual C++ 2005

3) Check the Steam client Properties:
    - Ensure that the Steam installation folder and its contents are not set to “Read-only”
    - Check that the “Steam.exe” application file is not being run in “Compatibility mode” and that you are running it as an Administrator. To check this, right-click on the file and select “Properties”, then the “Compatibility” tab

4) Look for Steam client updates:
    - Open Steam
    - Click on the top left menu: "Steam" and select "Check for Steam Client Updates..."
    - Steam will restart automatically if an update needs to be applied

5) Verify the integrity of the game’s cache:
    - From the Steam Games Library, right-click on Total War: Shogun 2 and select "Properties" from the menu
    - Select the Local files tab and click the "Verify integrity of game cache..." button
    - Steam will verify the game cache files - this process may take several minutes
    - If Steam finds that some files need to be reacquired, repeat the verification process once more

6) Disable your Antivirus and any other security software:
    You should be able to temporarily deactivate your Antivirus by right-clicking on its icon in the notification area, next to the system clock. If you cannot deactivate the Antivirus using this method, please refer to the instructions from your software provider.

We hope these steps help you to run the game. If you continue encountering the same issue, please reply to this email so we can offer additional help.

Kind regards,

Thanks for posting that, Maltz. Fortunately the game is working again after yesterday's patch. Phew!

Exited an Oda campaign; Steam informs me Client Update available.

d/l the update and now Steam will not load the game: corrupt! pirated! does not compute!

Guess I'll have to do a complete re-install; I (this space intentionally left blank) hate Steam!
    Ja-mata TosaInu

War Story Recorder Senior Member Maltz's Avatar

This problem is reported in the Official CA forum (and is reportedly fixed).
    Here is the link:
    http://forums.totalwar.com/showthrea...l=1#post378746

Apparently a lot of people are affected.

Thank you for the link Maltz; misery loves company :)

Looks like I should have waited for a fix; the re-install is still downloading....
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12