Thread: CTD during AI Pahlava's turn

Default CTD during AI Pahlava's turn

Playing as the Romani around 110 BC. I've hit a snag where whenever I end the turn, the game crashes on Pahlava's turn. They only have one settlement (Asaak), and I'm pretty sure it's not in revolt (it doesn't have the flaming pitchfork symbol), so I'm not sure what's going on there. Also, I've tried to go back apx. 10 turns, but it hasn't had any effect. Any advice on what I can do about this? I'd really rather not be forced to abandon this game. -M
    My Balloons:

Default Re: CTD during AI Pahlava's turn

Anybody? Seems like I've ruled out all the usual problem, if anyone has any advice I'd really appreciate it.
    My Balloons:

Now sporting a classic avatar! Member fallen851's Avatar

Go back a bunch of turns and send an army there to take the city. Or just cheat and take it over. Then give it someone else and continue your game.
    "It's true that when it's looked at isolated, Rome II is a good game... but every time I sit down to play it, every battle, through every turn, I see how Rome I was better. Not unanimously, but ultimately." - Dr. Sane

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6eaBtzqqFA#t=1h15m33s

Member thankful for this post:

You can use "Perfect spy" to see if there is a public order problem. Since they only have one city, that is extremely doubtful. If it is a public order problem, adding negative population should solve it quickly enough.

It is also possible that the problem is related to a conflict in traits. In which case there is no easily identifiable solution. If you are lucky an assassination (through script or assassin) may work. If you are not, you'd have to hunt down the culprit, and take out the conflicting traits.

Hmm...based on what you guys are saying (thanks, btw! balloons for everybody! ), it seems like the best solution would be just to wipe out the Pahlava (not too difficult, given that they only have one province). How would you recommend cheating to do this (if it's even possible)? -M
    My Balloons:

Bear in mind, I am not an expert in CTD hunting. I may be off the mark.

Easiest way is to spawn an army / unit of your own near their city, siege it, and using "auto_win" to take control of the settlement. There should be plenty of guides around how to spawn armies on these forums, in case you are struggling with that. If you spawn enough units, you'll have the building capacity for the necessary ram / ladder as well (or spawn spies to help you open the gates). You can then use force diplomacy to give it to some surrounding faction. Since you have really nothing to look for in Pahlavan country.

It is perfectly possible wiping out Pahlava results in a crash as well.

You mention it is Asaak, so one cause could be the number of buildings in the settlement. The engine has a limit, and if control of the settlement changes often enough, it will be filled to the brim with government buildings. You can easily check that by using "Perfect Spy" as well. Once you have activated the EB script, hit "F1", and then the question mark. The advisor should pop up. Just click on the "accept" icon, to activate the genericScript. If memory serves, it has just a few lines, to enable Perfect Spy.

An alternative way of checking that out would be to simply use "process_cq Asaak". If it results in a crash, there is a strong possibility it has something to do with the buildings of Asaak. Probably then the easiest way to deal with a surplus of buildings is to take control of the AI Pahlava (Hax has released a guide on that some time ago, if memory serves), and demolish a few superfluous buildings. Then of course, use the same method to regain control over the SPQR.

If it is a trait conflict, it will be much harder to sort this issue out. You'd have to use a boatload of spies, to identify all FMs, and see what the particular problem is. Then you have to alter the genericScript to take out the traits that are the problem. Which can be a pain, since you'd have to find out the internal name of the offending FM. For some factions that can be rather hard.

Hope this helps.

Ok, so I've had an interesting time with this...

In order to get control of Asaak and wipe out the Pahlava, I bribed one of their units that was outside the city, besieged the city, and then used "auto_win defender" every time they tried to break the siege. (I have to admit, it got pretty hilarious when there were only 5 or so men left and they all had triple-gold chevrons and were apparently unable to lose to an army 100 times their size.) The first time I did this, it resulted in a crash when I conquered the city, but the second time my besieging unit apparently killed their last family member when they tried to break out of the siege, which meant that while they still got a "draw" for the battle, the faction was destroyed anyway. When the AI's turn ended, I then bribed the city and destroyed every building I could in it. There were an inordinate number of buildings, especially government buildings, certainly more than the 20-24 the game allows, although not that much more. I then gifted the city to Hayasdan and ended the turn...and it crashed anyway.

So...I don't see it being a trait conflict on a Parthian general, since they're all dead, or an overload of buildings in Asaak, since they're all gone...but at the same time, the game crashed when I conquered Asaak, so I think the city is the problem. Unless you have any other ideas, I think I'm going to have to rest on my laurels at 109 BCE. Ah well, it was a good run, and I have a Princeps named Caius Caesar, so it's a happy ending. :) Thanks so much for your advice!
    Last edited by Mulceber; 04-26-2013 at 03:31.
    My Balloons:

And if you keep the city in Eleutheroi hands? Does that make any difference? Does not running the script make any difference (after you wiped out Pahlava)?

It might be the case that there is some issue with Hayasdan as well. Or a bit of bad fortune with the crash in the latter case. Sometimes the game crashes for something inexplicable.

Looks like 109 BCE might be the end of the line for your campaign. :(

Now sporting a classic avatar! Member fallen851's Avatar

Just trying keeping the city in your hands.
    "It's true that when it's looked at isolated, Rome II is a good game... but every time I sit down to play it, every battle, through every turn, I see how Rome I was better. Not unanimously, but ultimately." - Dr. Sane

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6eaBtzqqFA#t=1h15m33s

Good idea, thanks. I'll just use auto-win on that one province whenever I need.
    My Balloons: