Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: This Person is a Member of the US House of Representatives

Default This Person is a Member of the US House of Representatives

How does this happen? How is this person one of just 435 people in control of the nation's purse strings? His incoherent ramblings would seem more of a fit for a milk crate on the steps of a public library than the corridors of power in the most powerful nation on earth. What was it Churchill said about democracy?

I know this isn't the first example of such antics on the House floor and it surely won't be the last, but they always make me wonder how anything gets done in Washington. I think lobbyists get a bad rap. I would rather have some kind of professional, even one with vested interests in a particular outcome, craft legislation than the person shown above.
    Last edited by PanzerJaeger; 03-29-2012 at 02:57.

Amphibious Trebuchet Salesman Member Whacker's Avatar

Default Re: This Person is a Member of the US House of Representatives

Is this thread about idiots in the government or that little thug that got shot?

"Justice is the firm and continuous desire to render to everyone
    that which is his due."
    - Justinian I

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Whacker View Post
    that little thug that got shot?
    This helps explain where you go on your prolonged absences from the Org.

As for Bobby Rush, he has a long history of grandstanding. He not the first, the best, nor the most embarrassing.

Is this thread about idiots in the government or that little thug that got shot?
    I don't even know. The way this kid's death has been used by the usual suspects to promote racial division in this country to serve the agendas of groups from the National Action Network all the way up to the Democratic Party is as disgusting as it was predictable. Despite all evidence to the contrary, the antagonists desperately want need this to be proof that America is a racist nation and that black people are still oppressed in order to justify their own existence. A couple of weeks ago I made a post about the race industry in this country, and this is yet another clear example that it is running at full steam despite our supposed post-racial shift.

Here in Memphis, at a rally supposedly in support of the young black man killed by a Latino, we were lectured on white oppression and the need to vote for Democrats to fight it.

"If Trayvon had killed a white man, he'd be in jail right now," added Ervin.

Before police were called, many at the rally say organizers started getting off point, bringing politics, police and racism into what was supposed to be a rally for Martin.

"Memphis, Tennessee has the largest black population in the state of Tennessee, but yet it's ruled over by a white population a white minority population," ranted Ervin.
    I did not think the profiteers could sink any lower than the boy's own parents who trademarked his name and image to hock merchandise, but now we've got politicians trying to cash in on the ginned up racial outrage. It's a particularly sick kind of exploitation that is all too familiar in the United States.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    This helps explain where you go on your prolonged absences from the Org.

As for Bobby Rush, he has a long history of grandstanding. He not the first, the best, nor the most embarrassing.
    Yeah yeah, I'm clearly racist. From what I read the kid was a thug, multiple school suspensions and a bad track record. The shooter claims the kid punched and assaulted him, but this is all yet to be seen. I didn't say the kid deserved to be shot, going to wait and find out what comes out in court and see if I believe it first and it was true self defense. Either way, I'm definitely leaning towards his character was less than stellar and that he was a little thug.

I gotta agree with PJ's post for the most part, I'm utterly sick and tired of the race card being pulled all the damn time. It's got to the point where I develop this almost instinctive immediate counter-reaction and whenever a situation arises and the race card comes out, I start to believe the opposite party in the conflict.

that which is his due."
    - Justinian I

Another one of our stellar representatives...

Last edited by PanzerJaeger; 03-29-2012 at 06:46.

Senior Member Senior Member gaelic cowboy's Avatar

Bah I see your clowns and raise you a complete rogue apparently his biggest regret is not getting a sports stadium built.(the financial crash of course being nowhere near the list of regrets)

Ye americans are only in the hapenny place when it comes to gougers in the houses of Parliment
    Last edited by gaelic cowboy; 03-29-2012 at 09:40.
    They slew him with poison afaid to meet him with the steel
    a gallant son of eireann was Owen Roe o'Neill.

Internet is a bad place for info Gaelic Cowboy

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yeah yeah, I'm clearly racist. From what I read the kid was a thug, multiple school suspensions and a bad track record. The shooter claims the kid punched and assaulted him, but this is all yet to be seen. I didn't say the kid deserved to be shot, going to wait and find out what comes out in court and see if I believe it first and it was true self defense. Either way, I'm definitely leaning towards his character was less than stellar and that he was a little thug.

I gotta agree with PJ's post for the most part, I'm utterly sick and tired of the race card being pulled all the damn time. It's got to the point where I develop this almost instinctive immediate counter-reaction and whenever a situation arises and the race card comes out, I start to believe the opposite party in the conflict.
    Even allowing for the dreadful "stand your ground" law, the chap who shot him should have been arrested on suspicion of murder. His defence on those charges would have been he was assaulted and responded appropriately. For him not even to be arrested is where the trouble arises. That he was even advised by the police not to follow the individual which he ignored hardly helped his case. He intentionally placed himself in harm's way and shot his way out of it.

I hardly keep up to date with all times unarmed suspects are shot. Perhaps there are dozens of white suspects getting executed as well. Does anyone have the numbers broken down by race?

Suspended from school is not sufficient reason to gun someone down.

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PanzerJaeger View Post
    I don't even know. The way this kid's death has been used by the usual suspects to promote racial division in this country to serve the agendas of groups from the National Action Network all the way up to the Democratic Party is as disgusting as it was predictable. Despite all evidence to the contrary, the antagonists desperately want need this to be proof that America is a racist nation and that black people are still oppressed in order to justify their own existence. A couple of weeks ago I made a post about the race industry in this country, and this is yet another clear example that it is running at full steam despite our supposed post-racial shift.

Here in Memphis, at a rally supposedly in support of the young black man killed by a Latino, we were lectured on white oppression and the need to vote for Democrats to fight it.

I did not think the profiteers could sink any lower than the boy's own parents who trademarked his name and image to hock merchandise, but now we've got politicians trying to cash in on the ginned up racial outrage. It's a particularly sick kind of exploitation that is all too familiar in the United States.
    While I agree that attaching racial issues on anything you can think of and that it is often to the detriment of justice and common sense, the truth still is that as long as the USA had existed, there has been a systematic and organized repression of the black people (and various other minorities, usually to the lesser extent). Just because the situation is improving and the blacks today are in much better position than 30, 50 or 200 years ago it is by no means equal and one would be naive to think that centuries old repression which are still applied in certain parts of US territory and US system would be so easily forgotten.

Another point is that black population problems today are also in large part direct or indirect consequences of that centuries-old repression.

You guys should have much, much higher level of tolerance for black people.

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PanzerJaeger View Post

How does this happen? How is this person one of just 435 people in control of the nation's purse strings? His incoherent ramblings would seem more of a fit for a milk crate on the steps of a public library than the corridors of power in the most powerful nation on earth. What was it Churchill said about democracy?

I know this isn't the first example of such antics on the House floor and it surely won't be the last, but they always make me wonder how anything gets done in Washington. I think lobbyists get a bad rap. I would rather have some kind of professional, even one with vested interests in a particular outcome, craft legislation than the person shown above.
    And yet... he made the point he was trying to.

He put on a hoodie, and was immidiately told to step down because of the hood.

As far as this guy not being arrested - I have seen no evidence he was assaulted yet, and the man he shot was unarmed.

As such, he should have been arrested, questioned, and then charged and bailed. When a man dies by your hand you should be tried in a court of law, not just let off.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Senior Member Senior Member Graphic's Avatar

As said, there's no evidence wannabe Rorschach was assaulted, but even if he was, put yourself in Trayvon's shoes: what would you do if some creepy a-hole was stalking you at night while you were just out getting snacks and you feared for your life. Would punching him really be out of the question? Nevermind the fact that Trayvon looked like he weighed 120 pounds.

People downplaying this or dismissing it out of hand are playing the rape card, like a twisted version of "oh well she was wearing slutty clothes, she was asking for it!" The fact that you even mentioned that he was suspended from school is ridiculous because it's completely irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by rory_20_uk View Post
    Even allowing for the dreadful "stand your ground" law, the chap who shot him should have been arrested on suspicion of murder. His defence on those charges would have been he was assaulted and responded appropriately. For him not even to be arrested is where the trouble arises. That he was even advised by the police not to follow the individual which he ignored hardly helped his case. He intentionally placed himself in harm's way and shot his way out of it.

I hardly keep up to date with all times unarmed suspects are shot. Perhaps there are dozens of white suspects getting executed as well. Does anyone have the numbers broken down by race?

Suspended from school is not sufficient reason to gun someone down.

Quote Originally Posted by Philipvs Vallindervs Calicvla View Post
    And yet... he made the point he was trying to.

He put on a hoodie, and was immidiately told to step down because of the hood.

As far as this guy not being arrested - I have seen no evidence he was assaulted yet, and the man he shot was unarmed.

As such, he should have been arrested, questioned, and then charged and bailed. When a man dies by your hand you should be tried in a court of law, not just let off.
    This
    Last edited by Graphic; 03-29-2012 at 12:54.

Uh-oh. Watch out, here come the crazies...

http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/26/justic...?iref=obinsite
    "And if the people raise a great howl against my barbarity and cruelty, I will answer that war is war and not popularity seeking. If they want peace, they and their relatives must stop the war." - William Tecumseh Sherman

“The market, like the Lord, helps those who help themselves. But unlike the Lord, the market does not forgive those who know not what they do.” - Warren Buffett

From what I read the kid was a thug, multiple school suspensions and a bad track record. The shooter claims the kid punched and assaulted him [...] his character was less than stellar and that he was a little thug.
    This is a kind of strange perspective to take, especially given that video of the shooter taken a short time after this supposed assault shows the shooter completely unmarked. Nothing on his face, not limping, no marks, no grass stains, nothing. Surely if he were assaulted so fiercely that lethal force was appropriate, he would show some indication of having been in a fight, yes?

Besides which, the creepy thing is not the racial angle, but the legal one. The notion that I can shoot an unarmed person dead on a public street and not even get taken into custody? Please tell me how that is not insane. At the absolute minimum the police should have taken the shooter, relieved him of his weapon, and interviewed everyone within a hundred yards to get the clearest picture of what happened. None of that occurred. To fall back behind, "Well, the kid was a thug," is thoughtless, mindless.

I'm utterly sick and tired of the race card being pulled all the damn time. It's got to the point where I develop this almost instinctive immediate counter-reaction and whenever a situation arises and the race card comes out, I start to believe the opposite party in the conflict.
    As you are clearly demonstrating. Think about the implications of this over-broad, over-reaching "Stand Your Ground" law. It's not good. Try to stop reflexively reacting to the racial angle.

Quote Originally Posted by Graphic View Post
    People downplaying this or dismissing it out of hand are playing the rape card, like a twisted version of "oh well she was wearing slutty clothes, she was asking for it!"
    There's more to it. The "Stand Your Ground" law originated with ALEC, a group which pushes a variety of far-right legal agendas. ALEC has been pushing various versions of "Stand Your Ground" in all 50 states, and this case marks a real setback. What to do? Ah yes, declare that the dead person was a thug who had it coming. That will work!
    Last edited by Lemur; 03-29-2012 at 14:55.

All I can think of as I read not just this the op and watch telly or read a newspaper is exactly what the hell is America so bloody afraid of.

Seriously laws like Stand Your Ground can only develop in a society that is litterally terrified to go outside. It's telling this was a gated community and involved a man described as "mild mannered but fixated on crime".

Regardless if the lad was a commie space nazi junkie terrorist he had every right to be inside that gated community.

Stand Your Ground laws are about protection there defintely not about stalking people like Batman in some Mad Max world.
    Last edited by gaelic cowboy; 03-29-2012 at 14:42.

Well, there is a legitimate question about whether the Stand Your Ground law even applies to this situation, although that is the pony the local PD and prosecutor hitched themselves to in justifying why they did not take the shooter into custody or confiscate his weapon. The primary sponsor of the Florida law writes:

[T]he transcripts of the 911 tapes from the evening of the incident clearly show that Mr. Zimmerman was instructed by authorities to remain in his vehicle and to cease pursuit of Mr. Martin. George Zimmerman seems to have ignored the direction of the authorities and continued his pursuit of Mr. Martin.

Mr. Zimmerman's unnecessary pursuit and confrontation of Trayvon Martin elevated the prospect of a violent episode and does not seem to be an act of self-defense as defined by the castle doctrine. There is no protection in the "Stand Your Ground" law for anyone who pursues and confronts people.

-edit-

Also note that grandstanding idiot Bobby Rush appears to be reacting to grandstanding idiot Geraldo Rivera, who was claiming on national TV that hoodies were "as responsible for Martin's death" as the shooter. So we appear to have a case of idiots yelling at idiots over an idiotic point.

Last edited by Lemur; 03-29-2012 at 15:37.

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Wether or not the man is a racist is irrelvant, you can't really prove that.

What you can prove is he left his car and began following a man and asking him questions.

This does not justify force.

When its all said and done he will probably plea out.
    Last edited by Strike For The South; 07-18-2018 at 15:46.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

US police had 'sought to arrest Trayvon Martin killer' - report

Updated: 07:43, Thursday, 29 March 2012 RTE News

Police in Florida initially sought an arrest warrant for the neighbourhood watch guard who shot and killed unarmed black teen Trayvon Martin, but were overruled by prosecutors, according to media reports.

The Miami Herald said police in Sanford, Florida applied for the arrest warrant in the early stages of the investigation, contrary to suggestions that there had been inadequate probable cause for a prosecution.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The daily cited a police incident report that described the shooting of the 17-year-old by neighbourhood watch captain George Zimmerman as "homicide/negligent manslaughter."

Prosecutors however, held off approving the warrant, pending further review, according to the Herald and other media reports.

Mr Martin, a high school student, was fatally shot on February 26 by Mr Zimmerman, a white Hispanic who said he acted in self-defense.

A surveillance video meanwhile released late Wednesday by ABC News showed Zimmerman handcuffed at a police station after the shooting, but showing no apparent signs of serious injury.

Mr Zimmerman had said Mr Martin punched him in the nose, knocked him down and slammed his head into the ground before he had pulled the trigger of his gun.

The case has unleashed a national uproar and reopened old wounds over race relations in the United States.

A controversial Florida law allows the use of deadly force when a person has a reasonable fear of death or serious injury - which Mr Zimmerman, through surrogates interviewed in the media, has said was the case when he shot Trayvon.

Since the teen's death, there have been numerous large public protests calling for Mr Zimmerman's arrest, but the 28-year-old has not been detained, prompting outrage from rights groups which describe the shooting as a case of racial profiling and decry what they allege are racial inequalities in the US criminal justice system.

Special prosecutor Angela Corey told the Miami Herald that police filed a "capias request" to the state attorney, a recommendation that criminal charges be made.

"But obviously something gave investigators pause," an anonymous source in the state attorney's office told the newspaper.

"We get capias warrants all the time. That doesn't mean we file charges right away. We investigate to see if it's appropriate," the source added.

Chris Serino, the lead detective on the case, meanwhile told ABC News on Tuesday that he filed an affidavit on the night of the shooting stating that he was unconvinced about Zimmerman's version of events.

Serino separately told MSNBC that he was not at liberty to discuss the case, but felt encouraged by the new investigation into the shooting, and he was "looking forward to the truth coming out."

Mr Martin's mother, however, told CNN that she thought authorities were properly probing the circumstances of the shooting.

"I feel confident that they are going to do a thorough investigation," Sybrina Fulton told the US broadcaster.

"We're trying to be patient, even though it's been over a month. We're still trying to be patient and still trying to press on for justice."
    Looks like it the fault of the ruddy lawyers when reading this take on it.

Furthermore, I'm kinda bemused by PJ's and Whacker's surprise and outrage that race baiters are picking such a low-hanging fruit. (Not to mention PJ's spurious comparison to the fabricated Tawana Brawley case.) Of course the peddlers of black victimhood will come out of the woodwork. Of course they will overstate their case and make ridiculous claims. It's as silly and divisive as the never-ending rightwing fixation on the Black Panthers at the voting site, a minor incident that still gets played for applause three years later. (Note that black Americans do not have a monopoly on playing the racial outrage card.)

But does any of this invalidate the creepiness and weirdness of this case? Nope. You two seem to believe that if idiots take up a cause, the cause is automatically spurious and invalid.

Anyway. The race stuff is a distraction. The issue that needs to be addressed is the appropriate use of force. Note the complete lack of national outrage over a similar case in Wisconsin. The difference? Our shooter was in his own home, and had no idea why someone was crouched in his enclosed porch. Did he instigate it? Nope. Did he seek a confrontation? Nope. Did he have grounds to be afraid for his personal safety and property? Yep. So no outrage. Sure, there's talk about re-examining the Castle Doctrine, but there has not been the same racially-tinged shouting and madness over our incident that there is with the Florida case.

Seriously, armed man seeks out confrontation with unarmed man and kills him in public. And nobody gets arrested. It doesn't pass the smell test.

-edit-

An American conservative makes a good case for why this is yet another issue which the GOP, Limbaugh, the NRO and the rest of the conservative media complex would be wise to avoid politicizing:

Republicans have no reason to intervene in this fight. Seventy-five percent of the public thinks Zimmerman should be charged with something. Second-degree manslaughter certainly sounds pretty good to me. This wouldn't be "scapegoating," as conservative talk show hosts are already nattering, it's just common sense. Zimmerman wouldn't be guilty of anything until tried by a jury, but it's better than being tried in the newspapers. In any case, the idea you can gun somebody down in the middle of the street and just walk away doesn't appeal to me and probably not to the vast majority, either. [...]

[W]hy do Republicans have to get involved in this mess? Wouldn't it be better to utter a few words of regret and move on to something more political? But no, good old Newt can't miss the chance to alienate three-quarters of the American population. What sets him off is President Obama's comment, "If I had a son, he would look just like Trayvon Martin." What's wrong with that? When President Obama went to Israel he said, "If somebody shot rockets at my house where my two daughters were sleeping at night, I'd do everything in my power to stop them." Was that introducing sex and religion into international relations? No, he was just empathizing. That's what Presidents are supposed to do.

But old Newt can't let that pass. Like a big, lazy trout he jumps for the bait. Obama's comment is "disgraceful" and "appalling," "trying to turn this into a racial issue." Good old Rick Santorum isn't far behind, accusing Obama of "introducing divisive rhetoric." So all of a sudden, it's Obama versus the Republicans with three-quarters of the population on Obama's side.

Last edited by Lemur; 03-29-2012 at 18:15.

Master of useless knowledge Senior Member Kitten Shooting Champion, Eskiv Champion Ironside's Avatar

There's more to it. The "Stand Your Ground" law originated with ALEC, a group which pushes a variety of far-right legal agendas. ALEC has been pushing various versions of "Stand Your Ground" in all 50 states, and this case marks a real setback. What to do? Ah yes, declare that the dead person was a thug who had it coming. That will work!
    It certainly will...

You can totally hear "Chasing down the thug and delivering swift, hard justice" in the name of this law.
    We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7
    Activity Recorded M.Y. 2302.22467
    TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED

Ironside, at least in that case the killer was arrested and went before a judge. Many factors better than the other case (even if killing a man over a car stereo seems excessive and unwarranted).
    Last edited by Lemur; 03-29-2012 at 18:27.

Ironside, at least in that case the killer was arrested and went before a judge. Many factors better than the other case, even if killing a man over a car stereo is a bit of a stretch.
    And they're both Hispanic. No racial controversy. No hoodie-wearing congressmen.
    "And if the people raise a great howl against my barbarity and cruelty, I will answer that war is war and not popularity seeking. If they want peace, they and their relatives must stop the war." - William Tecumseh Sherman

“The market, like the Lord, helps those who help themselves. But unlike the Lord, the market does not forgive those who know not what they do.” - Warren Buffett

rvg, in the recent Wisconsin case, the shooter was white and the unarmed person doing the dying was black. No media firestorm, no controversy. This confirms my suspicion that the vast majority of people who are disturbed by this case (myself included) are not particularly interested in the racial angle.

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

race isnt the biggest reason to be up in arms over the police bungeling of this case

Of course I'm sure they have some sympathy. Overweight white guy with a gun, seeing demons everywhere, itching to pull the trigger.

Describes the majority of cops
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Member thankful for this post:

rvg, in the recent Wisconsin case, the shooter was white and the unarmed person doing the dying was black. No media firestorm, no controversy. This confirms my suspicion that the vast majority of people who are disturbed by this case (myself included) are not particularly interested in the racial angle.
    True, but in Wisconsin case the guy who got shot was on the other guy's property, no? I don't know if being under someone's porch qualifies as home invasion, but it certainly feels like it should. And people tend to be very understanding when it comes to shooting a potential home invader. As the Petit case showed, it's better not to take chances and shoot first and shoot to kill.

Quote Originally Posted by rvg View Post
    True, but in Wisconsin case the guy who got shot was on the other guy's property, no?
    Yes, but it was still a case of a white civilian shooting an unarmed black civilian. If the Martin case were an example of hysterical race-baiting and nothing more, as both PJ and Whacker seem to be arguing, there would be some sort of similar circus around it. And yet there is not. To my mind, this destroys their argument. The Martin case is disturbing for many reasons, and race is at most a sideshow.

Yes, but it was still a case of a white civilian shooting an unarmed black civilian. If the Martin case were an example of hysterical race-baiting and nothing more, as both PJ and Whacker seem to be arguing, there would be some sort of similar circus around it. And yet there is not. To my mind, this destroys their argument. The Martin case is disturbing for many reasons, and race is at most a sideshow.
    Ahh, I see. No, I think there's more to it than race baiting.

Master of useless knowledge Senior Member Kitten Shooting Champion, Eskiv Champion Ironside's Avatar

Ironside, at least in that case the killer was arrested and went before a judge. Many factors better than the other case (even if killing a man over a car stereo seems excessive and unwarranted).
    True, but it's the same state. And if I got correct info from another forum, that Stand Your Ground law gives arrest immunity until proven wrong. Ergo, if it's used and the prosecutor goes "don't bother, since we can't get a conviction", then it's quite possible that it's not abysmal police work (only poor) and only an abysmal law.
    We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7
    Activity Recorded M.Y. 2302.22467
    TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED

Now I remember why I don't come back here that often. Serious reading comprehension issues.

Did I say the kid deserved to be shot? Bonus points for correct answer.

Did I say race was the only or main issue at hand? More bonus points for correct answer.

Did I say anything about the shooter being arrested or not? Wow! Amazing!

What I said was from what I read the kid was a thug, nothing more and nothing less. I said I'm sick and tired of the damn race card getting pulled constantly, this is a perfect example. Those of you who think race isn't the major issue here aren't paying much attention to the news, because that's what's plastered all over the major news sites and on the TV. Race race race. Do I agree that race is the core of the problem or even an issue? No, not at all, hence my disgust.

I'm completely undecided on whether or not lethal force was appropriate in this situation, hence why I will wait and see what comes out of the eventual trial.

To the "stand your ground" discussion. I am 100% in favor of being able to defend oneself with lethal force if the situation warrants. Specific to what happened, I have a few thoughts. First, I don't think the shooter was very smart to go out and confront the kid in person. Second, on the other hand, it's a well established fact that police response time can be way too late if at all, so I can at least sympathize in a way with a person's desire to keep their home, family, and neighborhood safe. This is the whole point of neighborhood watches. Third, I can't find any fault with a stranger simply asking questions of another stranger to the effect of "who are you and what are you doing here?" There is nothing inherently aggressive or dangerous with simply asking questions. If one aggressively confronts another person, that's a different story. I have no idea how the confrontation in question played out, hence why I said I will reserve judgment until the trail produces some results. But simply going out and asking someone questions on it's own is not inherently aggressive nor indicating a desire for physical conflict, ie. "asking for it". Lastly, I'm undecided on what constitutes an appropriate situation for use of deadly force for self defense, and don't think there's an easy answer.
    Last edited by Whacker; 03-29-2012 at 19:42.

that which is his due."
    - Justinian I

Member thankful for this post:

What I said was from what I read the kid was a thug, nothing more and nothing less.
    Your actual quote was "the little thug that got shot." And now you're shocked and disgusted that anyone might give you any pushback on that. Sir, step away from the internets.

I have no idea how the confrontation in question played out, hence why I said I will reserve judgment until the trail produces some results.
    Initially it did not look like there was even going to be a trial, hence the widespread shock.

Your actual quote was "the little thug that got shot." And now you're shocked and disgusted that anyone might give you any pushback on that. Sir, step away from the internets.
    No, I'm disgusted when people don't read all of what I say, or give responses which indicate that they either didn't read all of what I said or seem to willfully ignore some of it. Kinda hard to debate like that, eh?

that which is his due."
    - Justinian I

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast