Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415

Thread: This Person is a Member of the US House of Representatives

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Default Re: This Person is a Member of the US House of Representatives

Quote Originally Posted by ICantSpellDawg View Post
    Firearms are great, you guys are boring, Strike for the South wont know a good thing until it is gone. He effectively played the manliness card with me - I'm interested in guns for manly purposes whereas he is so manly that he doesn't even notice it. I play pokemon, hate beer and sports and look at pictures of cuddley puppies. I don't care about manliness. Trannies, women, nuns and cheerleaders should own firearms, too.
    I don't want anyone to take anyone's guns away, I played the "joke" card in reference to Greyblades post.

I do think the idea that a tyrant would be stopped by privately owned firearms is a delusional fantasy, which assumes the tyrant doesn't have numbers and a militarized police force. Fascism/Communism/Tiddlywinks will come to America with most people thinking it's a good thing. A gun is only as good at safeguarding liberty as the brain behind it. To quote an oft repeated trope " a gun is just a tool". The same tool can just as easily be used to oppress .

I'm all for guns in personal safety. The lack of manners in the public sphere is appalling and would be better served by more guns. I would like to warn every would be hero out there though. You're much more likely to shoot yourself or a family member than an intruder. You are also statistically not likely to hit the intruder when you fire. So I guess that falls in the delusional fantasy camp as well.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Member thankful for this post:

Part-Time Polemic Senior Member ICantSpellDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    I don't want anyone to take anyone's guns away, I played the "joke" card in reference to Greyblades post.

I do think the idea that a tyrant would be stopped by privately owned firearms is a delusional fantasy, which assumes the tyrant doesn't have numbers and a militarized police force. Fascism/Communism/Tiddlywinks will come to America with most people thinking it's a good thing. A gun is only as good at safeguarding liberty as the brain behind it. To quote an oft repeated trope " a gun is just a tool". The same tool can just as easily be used to oppress .

I'm all for guns in personal safety. The lack of manners in the public sphere is appalling and would be better served by more guns. I would like to warn every would be hero out there though. You're much more likely to shoot yourself or a family member than an intruder. You are also statistically not likely to hit the intruder when you fire. So I guess that falls in the delusional fantasy camp as well.
    I do agree with you on those points. Zimmerman was wrong and negligent for his own safety and that of others when he pursued a lone individual in the night. Basic understanding of any animals is that when they feel threatened, they will become more threatening. The initial action led to a chain of events, compounded by the extremely poor decision of Martin to assault Zimmerman which was the proximate cause of Zimmermans self defence action which resulted in Martin's death. This could have been avoided so easily one would hope if everyone would rely less on machismo and more on "the lizard brain"

Guns are not a stop-measure for tyranny. Much better would be an educated, reasonably compassionate and engaged populace. With that type of a populace, guns are not as much of a threat either, so in a Utopia, guns are still not a bad thing.
    Last edited by ICantSpellDawg; 07-18-2013 at 02:21.
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
    -Eric "George Orwell" Blair

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    (Lincoln's First Inaugural Address, 1861).
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Philipvs Vallindervs Calicvla View Post
    Your rate of murder and mass killings is much higher - part of that is access and glorification of firearms.

Oh - and we overcook the meat to make sure we don't get parasites that make us crazy, risk prone, and cause stillborns.
    +1 for properly cooking your meat.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Just to clarify, does medium rare count as properly cooked? Because that's how I order my steaks.

IIRC if it's still pink inside, there's a chance of parasite.

I just found a website that deals with the subject (Warning, contains potentially offensive language but also useful links): http://www.ihaveabrainparasite.com
    Last edited by Husar; 07-18-2013 at 12:05.

Oh I remember that parasite. God damn it, I was really paranoid about it for a long time.

The wikipedia page suggests that you need to cook slabs of beef at least to medium in order to ensure it is safe. Thanks for scaring me again. Good thing I don't really eat meat unless I am at my parents house.

Well, even in the US where we love our red meat, it seems that there is relatively little risk that I am infected with the parasite.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...5979/table/T1/

At worst, there is a 16% chance I am infected. If I happen to be one of those 16%, that's just bad luck that I could not do anything about. I have been more or less vegetarian since I went off to college, I only eat meat when I go home. Obviously there was little say I had in the matter when I was young about eating whats on my plate.
    Last edited by a completely inoffensive name; 07-18-2013 at 12:28.

Part-Time Polemic Senior Member ICantSpellDawg's Avatar

Listen, I order my meat medium-well, because at every restaurant that means Medium. Over cooking increases you risk of gastrointestinal carcinoma, a hallmark of the nanny state. I'm gonna go into Manhattan, open carrying, while smoking a bowl, riding up and down an escalator for hours, eating rare meat and beef chugging a 90 ounce slurpee, in a thong. F thr state. Obviously not because I don't want to get arrested, but you can imagine what it it would be like if I did, right? No? Everybody on the bus.
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
    -Eric "George Orwell" Blair

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    (Lincoln's First Inaugural Address, 1861).
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Member thankful for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by ICantSpellDawg View Post
    Listen, I order my meat medium-well, because at every restaurant that means Medium. Over cooking increases you risk of gastrointestinal carcinoma, a hallmark of the nanny state. I'm gonna go into Manhattan, open carrying, while smoking a bowl, riding up and down an escalator for hours, eating rare meat and beef chugging a 90 ounce slurpee, in a thong. F thr state. Obviously not because I don't want to get arrested, but you can imagine what it it would be like if I did, right? No? Everybody on the bus.
    Dude, it is 8am on the East Coast right now, how are you STILL drunk?

The trick is to simply cut the meat into smaller pieces and then cook it until it's done, not black (which is what I'd call overcooked) but not raw anymore either. The smaller the pieces, the easier to do that. Noone forces you to to cook an entire animal in one piece, you cut or bite pieces off to eat it anyway.

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Here's some positive news, via Gallup polling...
    Fewer Blacks in U.S. See Bias in Jobs, Income, and Housing
    The poll asked "On the average, blacks have worse jobs, income and housing than whites. Do you think this is mostly due to discrimination against blacks, or is it mostly due to something else?"
    In 1993, the poll was almost even split. Now 37/60- with 60% sayings something other than discrimination is the main reason. The younger demographics are much more likely to say "something else" (30/68), while blacks 55+ are split (47/51).

To me, this is somewhat reassuring to see. Younger generations are less likely to blame discrimination- and this trend will probably continue. Maybe things are getting better, despite the best efforts of many civil rights leaders to convince them otherwise.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Members thankful for this post (2):

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415