Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: This Person is a Member of the US House of Representatives

smell the glove Senior Member Major Robert Dump's Avatar

Default Re: This Person is a Member of the US House of Representatives

Quote Originally Posted by a completely inoffensive name View Post
    I am having a hard time believing that a welfare check is a big enough incentive to ward off people falling in love with each other and forming families.

Maybe I just don't know anything about people.
    You can fall in love and start a family just fine without getting married, which is exactly what happened, so there is no official record of the a dad in the picture, and this "dad" disappears during social worker visits.

You think it is a myth, I have an entire step family of idiots who have been doing this for 2 generations and they openly admit that they have no incentive to get married. In fact, the "dads" actually avoid signing the birth certificates for this same reason, which is kind of funny because with the moms blinded by greed for their benefits they don't see that this screws them out of child support in the future....

If poor white trash will do it then poor black trash is doing it, too. Without the marriage contract the relationship becomes a drift-in and drift-out again arrangement.

Lack of an able bodied male increases benefits, as did each child. In the 1980s a single mom of 5 could make a middle class salary without raising a finger, and got food stamps and WIC on top of that.

I'd be curious to see numbers on two-parent signed birth certificates these days.
    Baby Quit Your Cryin' Put Your Clown Britches On!!!

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

It may be common sense, but it does not actually make sense when the historical statistics on black family creation are examined. In order to convincingly hypothesize a link between slavery and the poor state of the black family unit today, one would expect to see a steady, or at least a steadily trending, rise in the percentage of single parent families from that era to today as the effects of the family breakups compounded and became normative. Instead, the data shows that slavery was not all that damaging to the black family and that the percentage of single parent families decreased dramatically for multiple generations until the sudden reversal that began in the '70s. Why would the existence of slavery more than a century before cause a sudden and rapid deterioration of the black family when it seemingly had no effect on earlier generations that were chronologically closer to the institution?

I agree that the welfare theory is incomplete, but it does make more sense in my opinion than trying to draw a link back to slavery. For over thirty years black parents had a financial incentive to live apart. A family could not receive welfare if there was an able-bodied male living in the home. That is enough time for some very insidious habits to form, habits that correlate very closely with the sudden breakup of the black family. Add to that the Cloward-Pivenite social activists that targetted inner city black communities specifically to normalize welfare and swell the rolls, and you have a very unique incentivization for broken families that did not exist in other parts of the country such as Appalachia. In any event, it seems to be a theory that many social scientists and historians are gravitating toward.
    Could it not be a combonation of both?
    Quote Originally Posted by Centurion1 View Post
    ask antonio cromartie

There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Master of useless knowledge Senior Member Kitten Shooting Champion, Eskiv Champion Ironside's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PanzerJaeger View Post
    I agree that the welfare theory is incomplete, but it does make more sense in my opinion than trying to draw a link back to slavery. For over thirty years black parents had a financial incentive to live apart. A family could not receive welfare if there was an able-bodied male living in the home. That is enough time for some very insidious habits to form, habits that correlate very closely with the sudden breakup of the black family. Add to that the Cloward-Pivenite social activists that targetted inner city black communities specifically to normalize welfare and swell the rolls, and you have a very unique incentivization for broken families that did not exist in other parts of the country such as Appalachia. In any event, it seems to be a theory that many social scientists and historians are gravitating toward.
    Doesn't really hold up outside the US.
    A more generous welfare net, more focus on independant women and less focus on marriage, yet there's no simular breakdown in the Scandinavian countries.

It might have exacerbated the problem, but it's not a root cause.
    We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7
    Activity Recorded M.Y. 2302.22467
    TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

We were talking about Zimmerman, right?

Turns out he did have a bloody head - http://abcnews.go.com/images/US/ht_g...0419_wmain.jpg

In other news, charges will be filed and there will be a trial. Good. That's how this is supposed to work.
    No. Just because you can file charges doesn't mean you should. In this instance trying to get second degree murder is ridiculous. Overcharging because of public pressure is the exact opposite of what should happen.
    http://www.popehat.com/2012/04/13/ho...use-affidavit/
    http://www.emptywheel.net/2012/04/14...use-affidavit/

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed Rabbit View Post
    No. Just because you can file charges doesn't mean you should.
    So Florida continues to demonstrate how not to do criminal justice, big surprise. However, both of the legal blogs you link suggest that Zimemrman should be charged, just charged better.

I'm curious, do you think Zimmerman should not face trial?

Blog Entries

I'm iffy on the trial. I don't think a person should be charged unless you think beyond a reasonable doubt he's guilty. So, I don't really think he should face a trial, because from what I know about the case he's not guilty of anything (including manslaughter) beyond a reasonable doubt.

I don't see where they said Zimmerman should be charged, only that he could have been charged better.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Senior Member Senior Member gaelic cowboy's Avatar

I'm iffy on the trial. I don't think a person should be charged unless you think beyond a reasonable doubt he's guilty. So, I don't really think he should face a trial, because from what I know about the case he's not guilty of anything (including manslaughter) beyond a reasonable doubt.

I don't see where they said Zimmerman should be charged, only that he could have been charged better.

CR
    Surely a person can be charged by police/DA on a reasonable doubt CR, then it is a matter of there being convicted or discharged on the reasonable doubt of the presiding judge or jury.

otherwise we would hardly charge anyone these days.
    Last edited by gaelic cowboy; 04-20-2012 at 16:05.
    They slew him with poison afaid to meet him with the steel
    a gallant son of eireann was Owen Roe o'Neill.

Internet is a bad place for info Gaelic Cowboy

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

CR
    Absolutely not. Reasonable doubt never should affect your decision to make an arrest and file charges. That's not how the criminal justice system works. Courts do that.

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Blog Entries

Prosecutors are supposed to use discretion in who they bring to trial.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

Senior Member Senior Member gaelic cowboy's Avatar

Prosecutors are supposed to use discretion in who they bring to trial.

CR
    Well clearly in this case Zimmerman should have been brought before a judge.
    They slew him with poison afaid to meet him with the steel
    a gallant son of eireann was Owen Roe o'Neill.

Internet is a bad place for info Gaelic Cowboy

I don't think a person should be charged unless you think beyond a reasonable doubt he's guilty.
    Isn't that the criteria for conviction? Surely messy, confusing cases can and should go to trial. That's the point, no? Let everybody lay out their witnesses and evidence, and try to get down to the truth, or as close as we can get.

Exemplum gratum:

None of this is to say I think George Zimmerman is innocent of any crime for the incident that led to Trayvon Martin’s death, nor is it to say that the state may not possess sufficient evidence to convict Zimmerman of some crime at a trial. In fact, I am highly disturbed by Zimmerman’s behavior and Martin’s death.

Another issue is that if they did overcharge Zimmerman it will make it more difficult to convict him. I'm not sure if people can be convicted for lesser crimes, like manslaughter, in Florida. Even if they could, overcharging works in Zimmerman's favor and satisfies the populace.

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Down with dried flowers!

Oh look, a bloody head.

Quote Originally Posted by Major Robert Dump View Post
    Oh look, a bloody head.
    As I have said repeatedly, a confusing case. But a trial is the best chance to get to the bottom of it, even though the original police and prosecutor conduct may doom any chance of finding the truth. And even if the new prosecutor has mishandled the probable cause affidavit. Hell, even if every person in every step mishandles everything, I challenge my fellow Orgahs to come up with a better scenario than a trial for sorting this mess out.

My biggest concern about charges against Zimmerman is that they seem to have been brought on purely for the satisfaction of the mob. That kinda rubs me the wrong way.
    "And if the people raise a great howl against my barbarity and cruelty, I will answer that war is war and not popularity seeking. If they want peace, they and their relatives must stop the war." - William Tecumseh Sherman

“The market, like the Lord, helps those who help themselves. But unlike the Lord, the market does not forgive those who know not what they do.” - Warren Buffett

For the last several days the prosecution has said they were going to keep him from getting bail with their spectacular case. The best they did today was put a detective on the stand who said "I don't know" a spectacular amount of times. Surely they can do better than this.

Amphibious Trebuchet Salesman Member Whacker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Major Robert Dump View Post
    For the last several days the prosecution has said they were going to keep him from getting bail with their spectacular case. The best they did today was put a detective on the stand who said "I don't know" a spectacular amount of times. Surely they can do better than this.
    If they could have, they would. To me, this is clearly a case that has extreme political motivations, and the prosecutors are being pushed to move forward with whatever they have. As you pointed out, it looks pretty weak so far.

"Justice is the firm and continuous desire to render to everyone
    that which is his due."
    - Justinian I

Amphibious Trebuchet Salesman Member Whacker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    As I have said repeatedly, a confusing case. But a trial is the best chance to get to the bottom of it, even though the original police and prosecutor conduct may doom any chance of finding the truth. And even if the new prosecutor has mishandled the probable cause affidavit. Hell, even if every person in every step mishandles everything, I challenge my fellow Orgahs to come up with a better scenario than a trial for sorting this mess out.
    It depends. Someone with a US legal background can correct me, but my understanding is that 1. the prosecutors office does have discretion on what it takes to trial, and 2. in order to actually take something to trial, the prosecution has to have a pretty damn good understanding of the situation, a very solid amount of evidence, which in turn points toward the accused being guilty.

I am somewhat in agreement with your statement and somewhat not, based on how I am interpreting what you said. A trial is not the proper venue for the prosecution to determine "facts", as they see it. The whole point of pre-trial preparation is to have all one's ducks in a row and a firm grasp of how they are going to proceed with the court proceedings. The purpose of the actual trial itself is so that one may be judged by a panel of their peers.

The fact that this does not appear to be going well for the prosecution thus far is telling in a few ways. It could be one of or a combination of mishandling by the police, mishandling by the prosecutor's office, or a general lack of real, actual evidence with which to proceed. Whatever comes out of this, it certainly is seeming to me that we may never know the actual truth and circumstances of what happened that night.

"Justice is the firm and continuous desire to render to everyone
    that which is his due."
    - Justinian I

Blog Entries

Isn't that the criteria for conviction? Surely messy, confusing cases can and should go to trial. That's the point, no? Let everybody lay out their witnesses and evidence, and try to get down to the truth, or as close as we can get.
    I do not think it should be that way. If the investigators do not think the person they're charging is definitively guilty, they shouldn't charge them. To have a case where you do not know what has happened after a thorough investigation does not mean you should basically toss it up into the whim of a jury - a jury that prosecutors speak to as if they are certain of a person's guilt. Doing that is an abdication of responsibility, and tossing a possibly innocent person into jail.

EDIT: To expand - the attitude of a prosecutor who does this is necessarily "I don't know if this man is guilty or innocent, but I'm going to try my hardest to get him convicted and sent to jail". Is that right?

Exemplum gratum:

None of this is to say I think George Zimmerman is innocent of any crime for the incident that led to Trayvon Martin’s death, nor is it to say that the state may not possess sufficient evidence to convict Zimmerman of some crime at a trial. In fact, I am highly disturbed by Zimmerman’s behavior and Martin’s death.

That seems to correspond with what I wrote - they suggested that he could be charged better, not that he should be. Being "disturbed by" does not equal "he should be charged".

CR
    Last edited by Crazed Rabbit; 04-21-2012 at 18:50.
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

I do not think it should be that way. If the investigators do not think the person they're charging is definitively guilty, they shouldn't charge them. To have a case where you do not know what has happened after a thorough investigation does not mean you should basically toss it up into the whim of a jury - a jury that prosecutors speak to as if they are certain of a person's guilt. Doing that is an abdication of responsibility, and tossing a possibly innocent person into jail.

CR
    And that's why your ideas about the U.S. legal system are fundamentally flawed. You're basing them on personal opinion. Part of it is what's called the NCIS mindset: People see a lot of fictitious but really cool forensic science on TV and think that's how the world works. Law enforcement issues are qualitative and bounded by certain laws, which, by themselves, can be fundamentally flawed due to language and the qualities of those who wrote them. The "whim of a jury," is one of the best tools in the legal system. A prosecutor doesn't need to be convinced of a person's guilt, they only need to have an idea of how likely a conviction is. How much time do you think they have?

Cops should file all charges they think are appropriate (also known as doing their job), defendants should get the lesser ones dropped, and prosecutors should try to convict on the remainder. For example: It is entirely reasonable for a dozen charges to be filed after a high speed chase even if "Failure to indicate a lane change" is dropped.

Down with dried flowers!

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

It's probably incredibly racist of me, but I just get the feeling there is going to be a riot at the end of all this. The media is going to hype it up, the usual suspects will come out on both sides with ridiculous claims and baiting, and then the lack of evidence and a poor performance by the prosecutor will doom the case. It's been 20 years and the economy has tanked.

Luckiest person in the world: Judge Recksiedler.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Quote Originally Posted by Gelatinous Cube View Post
    "That's the way it is" is not a reasonable defense for a system that's cumbersone, prone to unjust prosecution (and even persecution), and costs everyone a lot of money and time (and more importantly--dignity).
    I never thought I would say this but....Vladimir is right and I don't think (at least from my interpretation) he is saying "that's the way it is".

The point is that there is a time and place to presume innocence, which is the courthouse when the jury is deliberating. Prosecutors job is to prosecute and the defendants job is to defend. The only thing that needs to be looked at regarding excessive charges brought against citizens is the disclosure of said charges publicly during the trial and after if the defendant is found innocent.

Quote Originally Posted by Gelatinous Cube View Post
    Right, so who's job is it to make sure that you're not wasting everyone's time?
    No body, because such a job would be terrible. The last thing you need in a justice system is someone who is trying to rush everyone's due process because there is a line outside the door.

A prosecutor is allowed (and even encouraged) to treat the trial as a forgeone conclusion. To treat the defendant as someone who is most certainly guilty. When you throw people in front a jury with minimal evidence, sometimes a zealous prosecution is enough. At the very least, the state should do its best to ensure that you don't send someone into that situation until there is as close to 100% certainty as possible that you're not wasting everyone's time or sending someone innocent to get damned by his peers.

Do you get it? When the police charge everyone in the room and let the jury sort it out, and the prosecutor really wants to get his convictions, and all the poorest get is an overworked and underpaid public defender... well uh, that's pretty silly. There's no accountability in there. Its like the old saying 'Kill em all and let god sort em out."

Sad fact is that presumption of innocence doesn't really exist any more (if it ever did). Only a great lawyer will get you a fair trial, and those cost money.

I'm not saying tear down the system because, honestly, I can't think of a reasonable alternative. But you're out-of-your-mind crazy if you think that our system is even remotely clear of injustice.
    You are not arguing against the system, you are arguing against the jury. Crappy jury's fall for hyperbole and not substance, much in the same way that crappy citizens fall for hyperbole from politicians. Problem stems from humans not the system.

Quote Originally Posted by a completely inoffensive name View Post
    I never thought I would say this but....Vladimir is right and I don't think (at least from my interpretation) he is saying "that's the way it is".

The point is that there is a time and place to presume innocence, which is the courthouse when the jury is deliberating. Prosecutors job is to prosecute and the defendants job is to defend. The only thing that needs to be looked at regarding excessive charges brought against citizens is the disclosure of said charges publicly during the trial and after if the defendant is found innocent.
    Thanks!

It's not about being right, just defining the structure of a system in an imperfect world. People get away with breaking a lot of laws at every level. It could be as simple as being polite and respectful to gross incompetence on the part of the prosecutor. Whatever. Bring me a better alternative. Things get better all the time.

Things work wonderfully well as long as everyone does their job well.

Down with dried flowers!

Wow, some actual journalism!

(Reuters) - A pit bull named Big Boi began menacing George and Shellie Zimmerman in the fall of 2009.

The first time the dog ran free and cornered Shellie in their gated community in Sanford, Florida, George called the owner to complain. The second time, Big Boi frightened his mother-in-law's dog. Zimmerman called Seminole County Animal Services and bought pepper spray. The third time he saw the dog on the loose, he called again. An officer came to the house, county records show.

"Don't use pepper spray," he told the Zimmermans, according to a friend. "It'll take two or three seconds to take effect, but a quarter second for the dog to jump you," he said.

"Get a gun."

That November, the Zimmermans completed firearms training at a local lodge and received concealed-weapons gun permits. In early December, another source close to them told Reuters, the couple bought a pair of guns. George picked a Kel-Tec PF-9 9mm handgun, a popular, lightweight weapon.

By June 2011, Zimmerman's attention had shifted from a loose pit bull to a wave of robberies that rattled the community, called the Retreat at Twin Lakes. The homeowners association asked him to launch a neighborhood watch, and Zimmerman would begin to carry the Kel-Tec on his regular, dog-walking patrol - a violation of neighborhood watch guidelines but not a crime.

Few of his closest neighbors knew he carried a gun - until two months ago.

On February 26, George Zimmerman shot and killed unarmed black teenager Trayvon Martin in what Zimmerman says was self-defense. The furor that ensued has consumed the country and prompted a re-examination of guns, race and self-defense laws enacted in nearly half the United States.

During the time Zimmerman was in hiding, his detractors defined him as a vigilante who had decided Martin was suspicious merely because he was black. After Zimmerman was finally arrested on a charge of second-degree murder more than six weeks after the shooting, prosecutors portrayed him as a violent and angry man who disregarded authority by pursuing the 17-year-old.

But a more nuanced portrait of Zimmerman has emerged from a Reuters investigation into Zimmerman's past and a series of incidents in the community in the months preceding the Martin shooting.

Based on extensive interviews with relatives, friends, neighbors, schoolmates and co-workers of Zimmerman in two states, law enforcement officials, and reviews of court documents and police reports, the story sheds new light on the man at the center of one of the most controversial homicide cases in America.

The 28-year-old insurance-fraud investigator comes from a deeply Catholic background and was taught in his early years to do right by those less fortunate. He was raised in a racially integrated household and himself has black roots through an Afro-Peruvian great-grandfather - the father of the maternal grandmother who helped raise him.

A criminal justice student who aspired to become a judge, Zimmerman also concerned himself with the safety of his neighbors after a series of break-ins committed by young African-American men.

Though civil rights demonstrators have argued Zimmerman should not have prejudged Martin, one black neighbor of the Zimmermans said recent history should be taken into account.

"Let's talk about the elephant in the room. I'm black, OK?" the woman said, declining to be identified because she anticipated backlash due to her race. She leaned in to look a reporter directly in the eyes. "There were black boys robbing houses in this neighborhood," she said. "That's why George was suspicious of Trayvon Martin."

"MIXED" HOUSEHOLD

George Michael Zimmerman was born in 1983 to Robert and Gladys Zimmerman, the third of four children. Robert Zimmerman Sr. was a U.S. Army veteran who served in Vietnam in 1970, and was stationed at Fort Myer in Arlington, Virginia, in 1975 with Gladys Mesa's brother George. Zimmerman Sr. also served two tours in Korea, and spent the final 10 years of his 22-year military career in the Pentagon, working for the Department of Defense, a family member said.

In his final years in Virginia before retiring to Florida, Robert Zimmerman served as a magistrate in Fairfax County's 19th Judicial District.

Robert and Gladys met in January 1975, when George Mesa brought along his army buddy to his sister's birthday party. She was visiting from Peru, on vacation from her job there as a physical education teacher. Robert was a Baptist, Gladys was Catholic. They soon married, in a Catholic ceremony in Alexandria, and moved to nearby Manassas.

Gladys came to lead a small but growing Catholic Hispanic enclave within the All Saints Catholic Church parish in the late 1970s, where she was involved in the church's outreach programs. Gladys would bring young George along with her on "home visits" to poor families, said a family friend, Teresa Post.

"It was part of their upbringing to know that there are people in need, people more in need than themselves," said Post, a Peruvian immigrant who lived with the Zimmermans for a time.

Post recalls evening prayers before dinner in the ethnically diverse Zimmerman household, which included siblings Robert Jr., Grace, and Dawn. "It wasn't only white or only Hispanic or only black - it was mixed," she said.

Zimmerman's maternal grandmother, Cristina, who had lived with the Zimmermans since 1978, worked as a babysitter for years during Zimmerman's childhood. For several years she cared for two African-American girls who ate their meals at the Zimmerman house and went back and forth to school each day with the Zimmerman children.

"They were part of the household for years, until they were old enough to be on their own," Post said.

Zimmerman served as an altar boy at All Saints from age 7 to 17, church members said.

"He wasn't the type where, you know, 'I'm being forced to do this,' and a dragging-his-feet Catholic," said Sandra Vega, who went to high school with George and his siblings. "He was an altar boy for years, and then worked in the rectory too. He has a really good heart."

George grew up bilingual, and by age 10 he was often called to the Haydon Elementary School principal's office to act as a translator between administrators and immigrant parents. At 14 he became obsessed with becoming a Marine, a relative said, joining the after-school ROTC program at Grace E. Metz Middle School and polishing his boots by night. At 15, he worked three part-time jobs - in a Mexican restaurant, for the rectory, and washing cars - on nights and weekends, to save up for a car.

After graduating from Osbourn High School in 2001, Zimmerman moved to Lake Mary, Florida, a town neighboring Sanford. His parents purchased a retirement home there in 2002, in part to bring Cristina, who suffers from arthritis, to a warmer climate.

YOUNG INSURANCE AGENT

On his own at 18, George got a job at an insurance agency and began to take classes at night to earn a license to sell insurance. He grew friendly with a real estate agent named Lee Ann Benjamin, who shared office space in the building, and later her husband, John Donnelly, a Sanford attorney.

"George impressed me right off the bat as just a real go-getter," Donnelly said. "He was working days and taking all these classes at night, passing all the insurance classes, not just for home insurance, but auto insurance and everything. He wanted to open his own office - and he did."

In 2004, Zimmerman partnered with an African-American friend and opened up an Allstate insurance satellite office, Donnelly said.

Then came 2005, and a series of troubles. Zimmerman's business failed, he was arrested, and he broke off an engagement with a woman who filed a restraining order against him.

That July, Zimmerman was charged with resisting arrest, violence, and battery of an officer after shoving an undercover alcohol-control agent who was arresting an under-age friend of Zimmerman's at a bar. He avoided conviction by agreeing to participate in a pre-trial diversion program that included anger-management classes.

In August, Zimmerman's fiancee at the time, Veronica Zuazo, filed a civil motion for a restraining order alleging domestic violence. Zimmerman reciprocated with his own order on the same grounds, and both orders were granted. The relationship ended.

In 2007 he married Shellie Dean, a licensed cosmetologist, and in 2009 the couple rented a townhouse in the Retreat at Twin Lakes. Zimmerman had bounced from job to job for a couple of years, working at a car dealership and a mortgage company. At times, according to testimony from Shellie at a bond hearing for Zimmerman last week, the couple filed for unemployment benefits.

Zimmerman enrolled in Seminole State College in 2009, and in December 2011 he was permitted to participate in a school graduation ceremony, despite being a course credit shy of his associate's degree in criminal justice. Zimmerman was completing that course credit when the shooting occurred.

On March 22, nearly a month after the shooting and with the controversy by then swirling nationwide, the school issued a press release saying it was taking the "unusual, but necessary" step of withdrawing Zimmerman's enrollment, citing "the safety of our students on campus as well as for Mr. Zimmerman."

A NEIGHBORHOOD IN FEAR

By the summer of 2011, Twin Lakes was experiencing a rash of burglaries and break-ins. Previously a family-friendly, first-time homeowner community, it was devastated by the recession that hit the Florida housing market, and transient renters began to occupy some of the 263 town houses in the complex. Vandalism and occasional drug activity were reported, and home values plunged. One resident who bought his home in 2006 for $250,000 said it was worth $80,000 today.

At least eight burglaries were reported within Twin Lakes in the 14 months prior to the Trayvon Martin shooting, according to the Sanford Police Department. Yet in a series of interviews, Twin Lakes residents said dozens of reports of attempted break-ins and would-be burglars casing homes had created an atmosphere of growing fear in the neighborhood.

In several of the incidents, witnesses identified the suspects to police as young black men. Twin Lakes is about 50 percent white, with an African-American and Hispanic population of about 20 percent each, roughly similar to the surrounding city of Sanford, according to U.S. Census data.

One morning in July 2011, a black teenager walked up to Zimmerman's front porch and stole a bicycle, neighbors told Reuters. A police report was taken, though the bicycle was not recovered.

But it was the August incursion into the home of Olivia Bertalan that really troubled the neighborhood, particularly Zimmerman. Shellie was home most days, taking online courses towards certification as a registered nurse.

On August 3, Bertalan was at home with her infant son while her husband, Michael, was at work. She watched from a downstairs window, she said, as two black men repeatedly rang her doorbell and then entered through a sliding door at the back of the house. She ran upstairs, locked herself inside the boy's bedroom, and called a police dispatcher, whispering frantically.

"I said, 'What am I supposed to do? I hear them coming up the stairs!'" she told Reuters. Bertalan tried to coo her crying child into silence and armed herself with a pair of rusty scissors.

Police arrived just as the burglars - who had been trying to disconnect the couple's television - fled out a back door. Shellie Zimmerman saw a black male teen running through her backyard and reported it to police.

After police left Bertalan, George Zimmerman arrived at the front door in a shirt and tie, she said. He gave her his contact numbers on an index card and invited her to visit his wife if she ever felt unsafe. He returned later and gave her a stronger lock to bolster the sliding door that had been forced open.

"He was so mellow and calm, very helpful and very, very sweet," she said last week. "We didn't really know George at first, but after the break-in we talked to him on a daily basis. People were freaked out. It wasn't just George calling police ... we were calling police at least once a week."

In September, a group of neighbors including Zimmerman approached the homeowners association with their concerns, she said. Zimmerman was asked to head up a new neighborhood watch. He agreed.

"PLEASE CONTACT OUR CAPTAIN"

Police had advised Bertalan to get a dog. She and her husband decided to move out instead, and left two days before the shooting. Zimmerman took the advice.

"He'd already had a mutt that he walked around the neighborhood every night - man, he loved that dog - but after that home invasion he also got a Rottweiler," said Jorge Rodriguez, a friend and neighbor of the Zimmermans.

Around the same time, Zimmerman also gave Rodriguez and his wife, Audria, his contact information, so they could reach him day or night. Rodriguez showed the index card to Reuters. In neat cursive was a list of George and Shellie's home number and cell phones, as well as their emails.

Less than two weeks later, another Twin Lakes home was burglarized, police reports show. Two weeks after that, a home under construction was vandalized.

The Retreat at Twin Lakes e-newsletter for February 2012 noted: "The Sanford PD has announced an increased patrol within our neighborhood ... during peak crime hours.

"If you've been a victim of a crime in the community, after calling police, please contact our captain, George Zimmerman."

EMMANUEL BURGESS - SETTING THE STAGE

On February 2, 2012, Zimmerman placed a call to Sanford police after spotting a young black man he recognized peering into the windows of a neighbor's empty home, according to several friends and neighbors.

"I don't know what he's doing. I don't want to approach him, personally," Zimmerman said in the call, which was recorded. The dispatcher advised him that a patrol car was on the way. By the time police arrived, according to the dispatch report, the suspect had fled.

On February 6, the home of another Twin Lakes resident, Tatiana Demeacis, was burglarized. Two roofers working directly across the street said they saw two African-American men lingering in the yard at the time of the break-in. A new laptop and some gold jewelry were stolen. One of the roofers called police the next day after spotting one of the suspects among a group of male teenagers, three black and one white, on bicycles.

Police found Demeacis's laptop in the backpack of 18-year-old Emmanuel Burgess, police reports show, and charged him with dealing in stolen property. Burgess was the same man Zimmerman had spotted on February 2.

Burgess had committed a series of burglaries on the other side of town in 2008 and 2009, pleaded guilty to several, and spent all of 2010 incarcerated in a juvenile facility, his attorney said. He is now in jail on parole violations.

Three days after Burgess was arrested, Zimmerman's grandmother was hospitalized for an infection, and the following week his father was also admitted for a heart condition. Zimmerman spent a number of those nights on a hospital room couch.

Ten days after his father was hospitalized, Zimmerman noticed another young man in the neighborhood, acting in a way he found familiar, so he made another call to police.

"We've had some break-ins in my neighborhood, and there's a real suspicious guy," Zimmerman said, as Trayvon Martin returned home from the store.

The last time Zimmerman had called police, to report Burgess, he followed protocol and waited for police to arrive. They were too late, and Burgess got away.

This time, Zimmerman was not so patient, and he disregarded police advice against pursuing Martin.

"These assholes," he muttered in an aside, "they always get away."

After the phone call ended, several minutes passed when the movements of Zimmerman and Martin remain a mystery.

Moments later, Martin lay dead with a bullet in his chest.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...83O18H20120425

That article is inherently racist. All crime is racially proportional. Half of those break-ins must have been committed by white people.

Down with dried flowers!

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir View Post
    That article is inherently racist. All crime is racially proportional. Half of those break-ins must have been committed by white people.
    Black people need to understand that they are not allowed to exceed their crime quota. It is racist of them to commit more crimes than white people per capita.
    Last edited by rvg; 04-26-2012 at 18:54.
    "And if the people raise a great howl against my barbarity and cruelty, I will answer that war is war and not popularity seeking. If they want peace, they and their relatives must stop the war." - William Tecumseh Sherman

“The market, like the Lord, helps those who help themselves. But unlike the Lord, the market does not forgive those who know not what they do.” - Warren Buffett

Ugh, the latest on this story a white guy getting beaten up on his front porch by some black people in mobile. Some newspapers complacently passed on the claim by one of his relatives that one of the mob said "now that's justice for trayvon" as they left though thankfully it's gotten much less coverage. Turns out it's a longstanding argument and the guy has a history of threatening the kids in the neighborhood with kitchen knives etc and the incident has nothing to do with the trayvon case.Also:

http://www2.wkrg.com/news/2012/apr/2...on-ar-3659891/

"People living in the neighborhood woke up to find racist flyers littering their lawns.

The flyers are actually an Aryan newsletter from 3 years ago. Police believe white supremacists are trying to take advantage of the racialy charged atmosphere to stir up more bad feelings."

Be on the lookout for bogus newstories on this kind of thing

Looks like Derbyshire found a new gig:

White supremacy, in the sense of a society in which key decisions are made by white Europeans, is one of the better arrangements History has come up with. There have of course been some blots on the record, but I don't see how it can be denied that net-net, white Europeans have made a better job of running fair and stable societies than has any other group. [...]

Conservatism, Inc. or otherwise, is a white people's movement, a scattering of outliers notwithstanding.

Always has been, always will be. I have attended at least a hundred conservative gatherings, conferences, cruises, and jamborees: let me tell you, there ain't too many raisins in that bun. I was in and out of the National Review offices for twelve years, and the only black person I saw there, other than when Herman Cain came calling, was Alex, the guy who runs the mail room. (Hey, Alex!)

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Looks like Derbyshire found a new gig:

White supremacy, in the sense of a society in which key decisions are made by white Europeans, is one of the better arrangements History has come up with. There have of course been some blots on the record, but I don't see how it can be denied that net-net, white Europeans have made a better job of running fair and stable societies than has any other group. [...]

Conservatism, Inc. or otherwise, is a white people's movement, a scattering of outliers notwithstanding.

Always has been, always will be. I have attended at least a hundred conservative gatherings, conferences, cruises, and jamborees: let me tell you, there ain't too many raisins in that bun. I was in and out of the National Review offices for twelve years, and the only black person I saw there, other than when Herman Cain came calling, was Alex, the guy who runs the mail room. (Hey, Alex!)

This man is wrong.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast