Thread: Crusader Kings 2 - Komnenian restoration

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Annoyingly awesome Member Booger Flick Champion, Run Sam Run Champion, Speed Cards Champion rickinator9's Avatar

Default Crusader Kings 2 - Komnenian restoration

I thought CK2 would be a great game for an AAR. The role-playing element is just great. I will give every ruler his own chapter. This is my first AAR, so please point at mistakes I made.
    ----------
    Basileus Alexios I

Europe in late 1081

Since the battle of Manzikert in 1071, the Byzantine Empire has been losing a lot of territory. Aside from Abydos, Trebizond and Rhodes all of anatolia had been lost to the Turk. Now, in late 1081, Alexios I has been crowned emperor. He wanted revenge against the Turks, now divided into two groups: the Sultanate of Rum and the Great Seljuk Empire.

However, that would not be the first war of his reign. In little more than a month, the doux of Adrianople, a relative of the old emperor Michael Doukas, declared war on Alexios. The doux, however, couldn't stand against the might of the Byzantine army and quickly surrendered to the emperor. He was imprisoned and stripped off his title on the duchy of Adrianople. He was released pretty quickly as a sign of mercy.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Filthy traitors. Seems like Turnovo has some trouble too.

Just as there was a little bit of peace in the realm, the ground began to shake. Buildings began to collapse and high amounts of manpower were needed to rebuild houses. As he was coordinating the rebuilding and reclaiming effort, a farmer approached Alexios.He said there was a giant crack in one of his fields. Curious, Alexios investigated the crack. It was full of hot flames and when he was standing above it he could hear the cries of the dead. Various men of the court gave many solutions on how to close the wound in the earth. Alexios decided to fill it in with stones. The gravel did it's job and Alexios' decision was praised far and wide.

This is the first time I have had this event. Pretty interesting one too. For those interested, here's some more screenies of it:

Shortly after the crisis, Alexios' spouse gave birth to a son, whom they named Andronikos. Alexios saw an opportunity for conquest when the Turkish levies were far off in Syria, fighting independent Byzantine duchies. He declared war for Nicea and quickly occupied the north-west of Anatolia. After a few battles with Rumite armies, a peace offer quickly came rolling in. The Rumite sultan would cede all counties in the duchy of Nicea!

The Rumites weren't dumb, they knew they couldn't win this war. I demolished 10000 men, a pretty high number in these early games.

Within a few more years, three more sons were born, named Chrysogonos, Ioannikios and Manuel. In 1091, opportunity for non-violent expansion presented itself. Messages from Croatia suggested the old king died a little too early and now one of his child daughters was on the throne. Alexios proposed a betrothal between Andronikos and Queen Emilija I. They surprisingly accepted his proposal.

This is very neat. It means that my grandson will inherit the Croatian kingdom. That will make him ruler of Byzantium and Croatia!

Apart from the annexation of Rashka, the following years were peaceful. Alexios finally got not only one but two daughters which were called Athanasia and Maria. He organized a grand tournament to celebrate the first ten years of his rule. Unfortunately, it would not come much further than that as Alexios died at the age of 39. Now it is for his son, Andronikos, to keep the empire together and lead the Anatolian reconquest to victory.

Very unfortunate. I had expected him to go on for about 10 more years, now I'm stuck with a regency! The cause of death was probably the wound he got from a battle with rebels or a somewhat more shadowy cause, if you know what I mean. Still the future isn't that grim, the heir is looking to be a very competent ruler.
    Last edited by rickinator9; 04-07-2012 at 01:53. Reason: Fixed pics
    rickinator9 is either a cleverly "hidden in plain sight by jumping on the random bandwagon" scum or the ever-increasing in popularity "What the is going on?" townie. Either way I want to lynch him. - White Eyes