Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Mini Game: Vanilla Game 5 [Concluded]

Default Re: Mini Game: Vanilla Game 5

Well, well well. What have we here? I roll blocked atheotes last night, and we had no kills. I guess that means we have found our last scum.

vote: atheotes
    Always meet on the level, act by the plumb and part on the square.
    2B1ASK1

Odd of atheotes to lead the charge against his scum-buddy yesterday!

Unvote;Vote: Montmorency

Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Maybe he saw the writing on the wall and bused him?
    2B1ASK1

You had 12 hours to call him on his roleblocker claim, at least.

You're fooling no one.

Unvote; Vote: BSmith
    Vitiate Man.

Senior Member Senior Member Jarema's Avatar

Seems not bad. Vote: Bsmith

As for town yakuza: I can try to convert someone to town. If I do so, I die.
    But...
    1. If I try to convert town player, nothing more happens. I die in vain
    2. if I try to convert mafia player, he gets killed NOT converted.

So, in fact, I act like one-shot suicidal vigilante, that will not kill townie
    (at least from the moment when there is no third party role)

Mmmm, Antares is tasty! Senior Member Alien Attack Champion Nightbringer's Avatar

Well, good luck guys.
    Moderator of The Throne Room
    “Being a Humanist means trying to behave decently without expectation of rewards or punishment after you are dead.” ― Kurt Vonnegut
    "Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge." ― Mark Twain
    "Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is." ― Oscar Wilde
    “While money can't buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.” ― Groucho Marx

Vote: Bsmith

Montmorency, clear you mailbox :)

Uh.
    Vitiate Man.

Game Over.

Town Victory.

Host notes, etc to come.

Well played all.

That Crow-kill was pretty lame - wish I'd remembered to switch.

Even as BSmith's lurkish vigilance aroused my suspicion, Nightbringer's reveal as Mafia came as a surprise. Well-played, and good on Crow and Atheotes for getting it right.
    Vitiate Man.

Role PMs:

Player: Arjos
    Alignment: Third Party
    Role: Obsessive Compulsive Statistician
    Victory: If at some stage everyone alive has been marked.
    Personal Goal: Survive to the end.
    Ability: You may target a player each night to mark them.

Player: Nightbringer
    Alignment: Mafia
    Role: Yakuza
    Victory:When you outnumber the town and third party
    Personal Goal: Yak the town Yakuza
    Ability: Each night, one of you may perform a factional kill or one of you may Yak. You may only do one option per faction, so BSmith can’t kill and you yak, neither can both of you yak in the same night. There is only one action per night from the mafia.

Player: BSmith
    Alignment: Mafia
    Role: Yakuza
    Victory: When you outnumber the town and third party
    Personal Goal: Both of you survive
    Ability: Each night, one of you may perform a factional kill or one of you may Yak. You may only do one option per faction, so BSmith can’t kill and you yak, neither can both of you yak in the same night. There is only one action per night from the mafia.

Player: atheotes
    Alignment: Town
    Role: Roleblocker
    Victory: When the mafia and third party are dead
    Personal Goal: Roleblock a mafia
    Ability: You may target a player each night to roleblock them and stop them from performing any actions.

Player: LazyMcCrow
    Alignment: : Town
    Role: Bus Driver
    Personal Goal: Kill a non town role using your power
    Ability: You may target two players at night (including yourself if you wish) so that all the actions that affect one player affect the other and vice versa.

Player: Jarema
    Alignment: : Town
    Role: Town Yakuza
    Personal Goal: Convert a non town player
    Ability: You may yak yourself one night to convert someone to the town.

Player: Montmorency
    Role: DayKill OneShot Vigilante
    Personal Goal: Kill a non town player
    Ability: In any day phase, PM the name of a player you wish to kill.

Player: SalmonSoil
    Role: Vanilla Townie
    Personal Goal: Lynch a mafia
    Ability: None

Player: Ishmael
    Personal Goal: Lynch a non town role

Player: DaveShack
    Alignment: Vanilla Townie
    Personal Goal: Lynch the third party
    Last edited by Visor; 04-16-2012 at 02:06.

Victory:

VC: 2 points
    PG: 1 point
    Survival: 1 point

Arjos:
    VC: No
    PG: No
    Survival: No
    Total: 0

Nightbringer:

BSmith:

atheotes:
    VC: Yes
    PG: Yes
    Survival: Yes
    Total: 4

LazyMcCrow:
    Total: 2

Jarema:
    Total: 3

Montmorency:
    Total: 3

SalmonSoil:

Ishmael:

DaveShack:
    Last edited by Visor; 04-16-2012 at 02:12.

Host Notes: For a game I made up pretty quickly, it was pretty balanced. I enjoyed the idea of Yakuza roles in this game, and the introduction of a Busdriver Role again (one of my personal favourites). I had to balance it as the Yakuza roles were very powerful and 2 in such a small setup would be OP unless the town had a chance to stop it. I liked the DayVig, but next time I would make it impossible to post in thread his kill under threat of modkill. Because once he has used his kill, he is simply a cleared townie. I think revealing the roles of the players was a bad idea as well, in hindsight, even though the game was won ont he third day almost by both sides. Arjos unfortunately got the short end of the stick. I should've given him either an unroleblockable power, or he could mark two people at once. If he won, he left the game by the way. I enjoyed his role playing though. Roleblockers are too overpowered in such a small game, however, there needs to be a role to stop the Yakuza, possibly making it only one Yakuza and a mafia member might balance it, or the removal of the roleblocker for a different townie role. Regardless I thought it was an interesting setup and I quite enjoyed watching the game. I hope you all had fun.

The town yak converted the last mafioso or the third party, by the way. I'm disappointed he didn't use it on BSmith at the end. But that was technically unfair on Jarema, as he would never be able to achieve full victory. However, I would five him the survival point as he survived until he yakked.

http://www.quicktopic.com/47/H/XviijDpuhuWD

was the mafia quicktopic. I think it was winnable even with the roleblocker, had they yakked a night earlier.
    Last edited by Visor; 04-16-2012 at 02:22.

Mmmm, Antares is tasty! Senior Member Alien Attack Champion Nightbringer's Avatar

I agree that the balance was good overall, and in hindsight I think the known roles was only such a problem for us because the three vanilla's died first. If we had been able to claim vanilla townie there would have been a lot more ambiguity. Yaking earlier would also have been good, but I just didn't think that everyone was going to claim.
    Moderator of The Throne Room
    “Being a Humanist means trying to behave decently without expectation of rewards or punishment after you are dead.” ― Kurt Vonnegut
    "Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge." ― Mark Twain
    "Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is." ― Oscar Wilde
    “While money can't buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.” ― Groucho Marx

I think it's pretty cool that the vanilla townies have different personal goals, but it was kind of unbalanced as Ishmaels goal was easier. But I mean, we were vanilla town, that doesn't really matter.

Quote Originally Posted by SalmonSoil View Post
    I think it's pretty cool that the vanilla townies have different personal goals, but it was kind of unbalanced as Ishmaels goal was easier. But I mean, we were vanilla town, that doesn't really matter.
    Theres only so much you can do with a vanilla personal goal unfortunately. Especially with a mini game.

We won! Good game Visor.
    I am still thinking the Yakuza should start using their power earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by atheotes View Post
    We won! Good game Visor.
    If I may (and I posted about this in the other Yakuza game). The Yakuza is an extremely powerful role. It can cause confusion and ruin scum hunting. But people are not utilising it to it's full potential. They try to wait and wait and wait, but often they wait too long for it to be effective, which is why the town won this and the last game.

The town does need power roles to combat it though and the bus driver is one I would like to see in more games.

Town won the first game out of pure luck. Even with those amazing bullseyes, full scum participation could in fact have negated all of it.
    Vitiate Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    Town won the first game out of pure luck. Even with those amazing bullseyes, full scum participation could in fact have negated all of it.
    Well, town kinda sucked in that one admittedly.

GG all. Thanks Visor I enjoyed that one. Look forward to the next Vanilla ... oh eait I just signed up :)
    Don't worry about vigging me Monty - it was actually pretty convenient considering my lack of keyboard time over the weekend - it was all good for town anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by atheotes View Post
    We won! Good game Visor.
    Yeah, in retrospect we should have. In the QT you can see we talked about doing that on N2, but decided to wait at least one more phase. I tried to do it N3, but you blocked me. These mini games move so fast. It is hard to make the decision to remove yourself from the game on N2.

Everyone roll revealing made it pretty much impossible for us to hide. I should have been more out front with that and just claimed one of the (2 I think) rolls that had not been claimed when I saw what was going down, but it was still quite early in the day and there was plenty of time for things to develop. We almost got away with it too, but in the end you came back to Nightbringer and I was standing out as the other Yak. It didn’t help either that all the vanilla townies were killed early (and the third party), leaving us with even less wiggle room when it came down to it.
    2B1ASK1

Quote Originally Posted by BSmith View Post
    Yeah, in retrospect we should have. In the QT you can see we talked about doing that on N2, but decided to wait at least one more phase. I tried to do it N3, but you blocked me. These mini games move so fast. It is hard to make the decision to remove yourself from the game on N2.

Everyone roll revealing made it pretty much impossible for us to hide. I should have been more out front with that and just claimed one of the (2 I think) rolls that had not been claimed when I saw what was going down, but it was still quite early in the day and there was plenty of time for things to develop. We almost got away with it too, but in the end you came back to Nightbringer and I was standing out as the other Yak. It didn’t help either that all the vanilla townies were killed early (and the third party), leaving us with even less wiggle room when it came down to it.
    I guess it is easier said than done - remove yourself early in the game. I was always going to change my vote to Nightbringer. Also, i did not like the role reveals. it was not best way to win the game. You guys did miss the opportunity to confuse the town though.

Quote Originally Posted by Visorslash View Post
    The town yak converted the last mafioso or the third party, by the way. I'm disappointed he didn't use it on BSmith at the end. But that was technically unfair on Jarema, as he would never be able to achieve full victory. However, I would five him the survival point as he survived until he yakked.
    Town yakuza role was weak IMO. It could only be used when I was virtualy sure who the mafia is (well, at least after the dead of neutral party). Using this ability, I was 100% sure sacrificing myself for a chance of killing mafia. Not very nice.
    At a sharp contrast, mafia yakuza was 100% sure that his ability would work.

Of course I am not saying that town yakuza should be moire powerful, I only try to explain why I didnt use this ability

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345