Thread: Crusader Kings 2 AAR- Being a History of the Lords of Ulster

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

Default Crusader Kings 2 AAR- Being a History of the Lords of Ulster

Crusader Kings 2 AAR- Being a History of the Lords of Ulster

This will be an AAR using the Ulster faction in Crusader Kings 2.

I will play with my House Rules from the original game:
    1. All event decisions based on character traits as much as possible, rather than gamey decisions for stat or money boosts.
    2. Assassination used as little as possible, and never for gamey reasons such as a poor heir, unless it could be justified from character traits.
    3. As little war-mongering as possible, in the original this was based on only going to war when I had an honourable reputation and building it back up afterwards. Not sure if there is a similar reputation mechanic this time around.
    4. Marriage is limited to the island of Ireland as a Count, Great Britain and Ireland as a Duke, as King of Ireland I am free to marry my characters to any suitable Catholic. This is more of a problem than the original with the Prestige hit for marrying a courtier, but I'm going to go ahead and keep it anyway.
    5. I play on the lowest speed setting, even when nothing is happening in the early years.

I tend to play quite slowly, so it will be updated as each year passes in the game. I've only just got the game, though I played a lot of CK with Deus Vult and the DVIP mod so hopefully I'll pick it up quickly enough,
    Last edited by johnhughthom; 04-04-2012 at 20:08.

Member thankful for this post:

Default Re: Crusader Kings 2 AAR- Being a History of the Lords of Ulster

Crusader Kings 2 AAR- Being a History of the Lords of Ulster

Prologue

Steward Donnchad de Dunseverick, the year of the Lord 1067.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

As Steward of Earl Cu Uladh Sithrigi of Ulster, it is my duty to record for posterity the details of the reign of the Earl and his descendants.

The Earl has reigned for one year, following the death of his father last year, and is married to Fine. The Earl has no children as yet

The Earls's current heir is a distant cousin, Dun Sleibe MacEochaid, who is married to Bebinn.

The day to day running of the Earldom is handled by the Council, which includes myself and Dun Sleibe.

The first few months of Earl Cu Uladh have been uneventful, stories cross the sea of turmoil in England, though life goes on in Castle Downpatrick, Carrickfergus and Connor as usual. I shall record the events of the year to come. Glory to House Sithrigi.
    Last edited by johnhughthom; 04-04-2012 at 12:09.

Steward Donnchad de Dunseverick, the year of the Lord 1068.

As Steward of the House of Sithrigi, Earls of Ulster, it is my duty to record the reign of Earl Cu Uladh.

The first full year of Earl Cu Uladh was peaceful in Ulster. As his Council worked to bring prosperity to his land, Earl Cu Uladh busied himself with learning, studying ancient manuscripts and books to increase his wisdom.

The Earl also showed his generosity to his subjects, throwing a summer fair for the peasants.

The peasants had never seen such a fair before, with animal trainers for their amusement.

It wasn't all good news, unfortunately, as a peddler was found selling stolen goods, and punished appropriately.

Then the bailiff who caught the thief was punished on trumped up charges by the fair's piepowder court. They were also punished appropriately, on the orders of the Earl.

Following the fair for the ungrateful peasants, the Earl took the local nobles on a great hunt. He was delighted by Bishop Mael Patraic's success in the hunt.

To celebrate, a great winter feat was held in Downpatrick Castle. Rumours of an argument between the Earl and his Bishop were greatly exaggerated and the feast ended with the Earl held up as a fine host by his guests.

Earl Cu Uladh and his wife were disappointed that they were still childless, Cu Uladh made no secret of his desire for a son, though Fine was thought to favour a daughter. Hopefully the year ahead would bring some good news for the Earl of Ulster.

Annoyingly awesome Member Booger Flick Champion, Run Sam Run Champion, Speed Cards Champion rickinator9's Avatar

Nice beginning... competitor!
    rickinator9 is either a cleverly "hidden in plain sight by jumping on the random bandwagon" scum or the ever-increasing in popularity "What the is going on?" townie. Either way I want to lynch him. - White Eyes

Quote Originally Posted by rickinator9 View Post
    Nice beginning... competitor!
    Not a competitior, fellow AARtist.

Our two stories are different enough to complement each other, yours based on an Empire with a broad scope, mine on a one county faction with a more in depth scope. The first few years in an Ulster campaign are quite dull, with few events to liven up the story, certainly no earthquakes, hopefully mine will liven up after a few chapters when there is an actual family to tell the story of.

Annoyingly awesome Member Booger Flick Champion, Run Sam Run Champion, Speed Cards Champion rickinator9's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnhughthom View Post
    Not a competitior, fellow AARtist.

Our two stories are different enough to complement each other, yours based on an Empire with a broad scope, mine on a one county faction with a more in depth scope. The first few years in an Ulster campaign are quite dull, with few events to liven up the story, certainly no earthquakes, hopefully mine will liven up after a few chapters when there is an actual family to tell the story of.
    We're cool.

Will be pretty nice to see how you'll expand through ireland. Little tip: economy first.
    Last edited by rickinator9; 04-04-2012 at 23:10.
    rickinator9 is either a cleverly "hidden in plain sight by jumping on the random bandwagon" scum or the ever-increasing in popularity "What the is going on?" townie. Either way I want to lynch him. - White Eyes

Steward Donnchad de Dunseverick, the year of the Lord 1069.

As Steward of the House of Sithrigi, Earls of Ulster, it is my duty to record the reign of Earl Cu Uladh.

Life in court continued in much the same vein during the past year. The only incident of note was the arrival of a group of hedge knights on the shores of Ulster. Many were suspicious of the motives of these men fleeing the turmoil in England, Earl Cu Uladh was welcoming however, and allowed the men to join him on his hunts and in a small tourney he had planned. One of the men was injured during the tourney, the Earl allowed him to remain at Downpatrick Castle until he was well, whereupon the group moved on.

The Earl was bored and restless after the hedge knights departed. Soon after, however, cam new which raised his spirits, Fine was with child.

The summer fair that year was a lively affair, the Earl's delight at impending fatherhood had a great effect on his subjects, and had clearly given him vigour and energy, as no fewer than three great hunts took place that winter. His vassals were slightly disappointed that no great feast took place during the dark winter evenings, the Earl was preoccupied with his impending fatherhood, and spent most of his time with the Bishop, asking God for a healthy son. The Lord answered half of the prayer, blessing the Earl with a healthy baby girl. He named her Taileflaith, and she became his heir. Their were muttering in the court about a female heir, and Cu Uladh's disappointment was clear. Despite nearing fifty, the Earl was still a vigorous man, and there was hope for a male heir.

Steward Donnchad de Dunseverick, the year of the Lord 1070.

This year the summer fair saw a dancing bear captivate the Earl and his courtiers, and the dancing continued as a troupe from across the water entertained the Earls and his court at Downpatrick Castle. The year continued much like the previous year of Cu Uladh's reign, with hunting and a winter feast seeing the year in. Taileflaith's first birthday was celebrated just before Christmas, but there was no sign of a male heir for the Earl.

Steward Donnchad de Dunseverick, the year of the Lord 1071.

The winter feat was more raucous than usual this year, with much merriment during the dark winter nights.

The serious business of ruling soon returned, as the Earl was forced to decide on a dispute between the mayor of Carrickfergus and a local farmer. The mayor had proven himself trustworthy, and the farmer was warned as to his future conduct.

It was me remiss of me not to mention a foolish error on my part, which put me under suspicion in the eyes of the Earl. I failed to record the castle accounts correctly and it appeared I had been stealing. Fortunately the Earl is a just man and ordered an investigation, rather than condemning. I shall have to watch the cook more closely...

The castle was particularly crowded with peasants during this years summer fair, and a number of nobles made their feelings clear to the Earl. He declared it was his home, and the fair was as much for the peasants as the nobles. Earl Cu Uladh told them to stop complaining, or the next fair would be held in their homes, with every peasant in the Earldom invited.

Joyous news came shortly after the end of the fair, Countess Fine was again with child, the Earldom prayed with Cu Uladh for a son to follow in his footsteps.

The winter feast saw the Bishop of Connor pledge his devotion to the Earl, and the taxes from the diocese, whihc would go to Cu Uladh rather than the Pope from now on. Cu Uladh was assured that the Holy Father would not see this as stealing from God, and was content.

Steward Donnchad de Dunseverick, the year of the Lord 1072.

The year followed the traditions of Cu Uladh. A summer fair to entertain his peasants, an autumn hunt for his own pleasures and a winter feast to thank his vassals for the service. The summer fair saw a monk from outside Ulster arrive and start preaching about sin and punishment. After consulting the Bishop, Cu Uladh had him removed, he knew his people were God fearing and respectful of the church, They should be allowed to enjoy their fair in peace.

A group of players from the fair were brought to the castle for a feast and a performance in front on Countess Fine, the Earl made sure the expectant mother wanted for nothing.

He found his disappointment hard to hide however, when his second daughter was born. The lass was named Lerthan, and almost immediately betrothed to the young heir of the Earldom of Oriel.
    Last edited by johnhughthom; 04-06-2012 at 14:54.

1072 & 1073

Steward Donnchad de Dunseverick, the year of the Lord 1074.

The preceding two years have seen great changes in the governance of Ulster. Provoked by sermons from the Bishop of Connor, the Earl has become concerned with his legacy, and what he leaves behind for his heir. The yearly summer fair, autumn hunt and winter feast have been absent, the Earl saying such festivities need to be earned, he will no longer throw money around at will. The Bishop has become rather unpopular, all the more so as most people know the true meaning of these sermons was to ensure the Earl sired a male heir.

Whether from priestly exhortations, or simply fortuitous timing, the Earl had a son, late in the year 1073. Whether from the Bishop's sermons, or a sense of his own mortality as he neared fifty years of age, the Earl arranged betrothals for his son and eldest daughter soon after Faelbe's birth. Taileflaith was betrothed to the heir to the Earldom of Tir Connail and Faelbe to the youngest daughter of the Duke of Munster. The birth of a son gave the peasants reason to celebrate, as the Earl announced he would pay for the first summer fair in three years. There was some grumbling from his vassals, however, who had expected a lavish feast at Castle Downpatrick in celebration.

Another consequence of the Earl's new found financial restraint is that I am only allowed to write bi-annual updates in my history. My "whimsical fancies", as the earl so eloquently put it, are clearly not an important part of his legacy...

A map of Europe, for those who like to see such things:
    Last edited by johnhughthom; 04-07-2012 at 10:52.

1074 & 1075

Steward Donnchad de Dunseverick, the year of the Lord 1076.

The Earl's mood was much improved following the birth of his son, the summer fair of 1074 was a jolly affair, with Earl Cu Uladh involvong himself fully in the frivolity, even if his courtiers thought it inappropriate.

He also started spending more time with Countess Fine, whether for matters of court, to discuss the children, or for other matters, I do not know. Nevertheless, the Countess was with child again shortly after the summer fair.

Part of the reason for the Earl's reticence in spending money on festivities was shown this year. He employed a large number of local builders to build a stone wall around his castle at Downpatrick. Such a barrier had never been seen before in Ulster and attracted many gawkers during it's construction.

Both years saw Typhoid fever sweep across Ulster. There had been an outbreak across the water in Scotland, and many wondered how the disease was spread. Some had suggested banning boats from Scotland to stop the spread, but the Bishop clamped down on such heresies, calling the disease a punishment from God, and the only defence was absence of sin. Some members of court caught the disease, but all recovered and no member of House Sithrigi was affected, the Bishop called their resistance a sign of the Earl's Godliness.

The Earl's third daughter was born, and named Lann. The Earl seemed delighted at another girl, some thought he would have wanted another boy, for the so called "heir and spare" other smiled and suggested he was pleased as it gave him reason to keep trying for another boy. Despite being past his fiftieth birthday, the Earl was still fit and healthy and there seemed no reason he wouldn't have more children in the years to come.

Nice update!
    Why do your guys have white lines all over their faces?

Congratz, your daughter is a genius!

Quote Originally Posted by rickinator9 View Post
    Nice update!
    Why do your guys have white lines all over their faces?

Congratz, your daughter is a genius!
    Thanks.

The white lines seems to come from using the ingame screenshot capture, then converting to JPEGs before uploading to photobucket. I'll use FRAPS from now on, I did with the earlier shots and it didn't happen then.

Only just noticed the youngest daughter is a genius, might have to break that betrothal...

1076 & 1077

Steward Donnchad de Dunseverick, the year of the Lord 1078.

A group of poachers were hunting in the Earls forests, Spymaster Donnchad used his contacts among the peasants and Marshall Domnall laid a trap for the thieves. Poaching gangs were caught on two occasions, and the men's fate left to his Council by the Earl.

Countess Fine was with child for the fifth time, which may have been why the Earl left justice to his Council.

The Earl's close friend, Bishop of Connor Mael-Patraic passed away, and was replaced by Carlus, who continued to pay the church taxes to the Earl, rather than the Pope.

One of the new Bishop's first tasks was blessing the Earl's fifth child, as a fourth daughter, named Sisuile was born.

The Earl continued his tradition of betrothing his children early in life, and his fourth daughter was married to the heir to an Earldom.

Bishop Carlus approached the Earl for funds to patronise a local philosopher. Despite his misgivings as to the benefits of such an arrangement, the Earl did not wish to quarrel with his Bishop and agreed, on the condition this did not become a regular request.

1078 & 1079

Steward Donnchad de Dunseverick, the year of the Lord 1080.

The typhoid epidemic of a few years back had ravaged the peasants of Ulster, but the nobles had been fortunate. A measles epidemic was not quite as discerning in it's choice of victim, as the Earl's wife and son fell victim. Faelbe recovered, but was less robust than before. Countess Fine succumbed to the disease however, and passed away at the age of 28.

The Countess' death had a strong effect on the Earl, and he was listless for the rest of the year and into the next year. He did make a decision which caused much debate and consternation amongst his subjects, changing the Earldom's succession law to Primogeniture. The Earl had been locked in discussions with his Bishop for weeks before making the change, knowing the church would disapprove. Bishop Carlus made no mention of it in his sermons, and continued to pay taxes to the Earl, rather than the Pope. Most courtiers believed the Earl had wished to make the change since the birth of Faelbe, but had not wished to risk upsetting the church. Bishop Carlus owed his position to the Earl, and was more likely to accept the change than the Mael-Patraic, the previous Bishop. Perhaps the death of the Countess had made the Earl more aware of his own mortality, and pushed him into making the change before it was too late.

Map of Europe:

Not sure what to do about remarrying for the Earl, no family in Ireland has a suitable female and I'm not keen on the 40 prestige hit. I am flexible with my house rule in such a situation, and will look at the Scottish lands just across from Ulster, and the Isle of Man, but nobody there either. A good wife does seem to provide a decent boost to your research, but I hate losing prestige under any circumstances, never mind 40...
    Last edited by johnhughthom; 04-08-2012 at 13:45.

Monk 

Norway got England? LoL

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

Good stuff thus far john.

Norway in England is some ridiculous happenings to be sure.

The marriage situation is one i ran into a lot in my Irish play through. There were times when there simply wasn't a good match in ireland, so i'd bite the bullet and marry a courtier or something. If the lady protests too much, just tell her we all gotta do what we all gotta do