Thread: I want to pay broadcasters in other countries to watch their television!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Default I want to pay broadcasters in other countries to watch their television!

Simply this: in the UK we have the BBC to watch mid to high definition TV via the internet, but I canno legally use the comparable streaming services for chanels in the US or elsewhere. This is particularly silly because these services are free in host countries even when the chanel they serve is subscription.

I would pay for the privilage, but no one will let me.

Is this not the most stupid thing about the Internet economy?
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Blog Entries

Default Re: I want to pay broadcasters in other countries to watch their television!

Yup its a pain but I did find a way around some of it, if you're using Firefox may I recommend this?

First, run the Firefox browser.
    • Go to http://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/967 and install an add-on called Modify Headers
    • Then once Firefox restarts, in the top menu bar go to Tools -> Modify Headers
    • A separate smaller window will open. Select the drop down box in the upper left and click ‘Add’
    • You’ll also see 3 input boxes, in the first after ‘add’ enter “X-Forwarded-For” without the quotation marks
    • In the second box enter “12.13.14.15″ without the quotation marks
    • Leave the third box empty and click the button with ‘Add’ to the right of it.
    • Now when you see your new filter displayed, click the ‘Configuration’ button on the bottom right.
    • A new General options box appears, and just click ‘Always On: Enable Modify Headers’
    • That’s it, you’re done, close the box, give yourself a pat on the back.
    • Next for the best bit, head directly to The Daily Show or ColbertNation websites, giggle with happiness and emit shouts of whooooooo like you’re in the audience when the videos come on.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 04-06-2012 at 01:07.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Default Re: I want to pay broadcasters in other countries to watch their television!

Quote Originally Posted by Greyblades View Post
    Yup its a pain but I did find a way around some of it, if you're using Firefox may I recommend this?
    Nice to see we can agree on current events, at least.

Hmmm.

On a more serious note. Why is this? It makes no economic sense, do we think this is because broadcasters haven't caught up with the reality of the internet?

Surely we have to go univerasal-access eventually?
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Senior Member Senior Member gaelic cowboy's Avatar

Suppose there still making money chopping telly rights up for differing markets.
    They slew him with poison afaid to meet him with the steel
    a gallant son of eireann was Owen Roe o'Neill.

Internet is a bad place for info Gaelic Cowboy

Quote Originally Posted by gaelic cowboy View Post
    Suppose there still making money chopping telly rights up for differing markets.
    Ding ding ding we have a winnner!

All those none BBC UK channels that show US/Canadian/Aussie shows? Well they paid cash money to for those broadcast rights. And if you can just stream them from a original producers website then who's going to watch them on the telly? And it works in both directions. I won't get to see the latest season of Dr. Who, Merlin, Being Human, or Primeval until 6 months after you.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

Senior Member Senior Member gaelic cowboy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lars573 View Post
    Ding ding ding we have a winnner!

All those none BBC UK channels that show US/Canadian/Aussie shows? Well they paid cash money to for those broadcast rights. And if you can just stream them from a original producers website then who's going to watch them on the telly? And it works in both directions. I won't get to see the latest season of Dr. Who, Merlin, Being Human, or Primeval until 6 months after you.
    Interestingly Game of Thrones is only one day after the US apparently, looks like the pirates are forcing the issue just like PVC said.

It's gonna have to be almost the same week now whereas "£$£$ my dad says" can manage the old system.
    They slew him with poison afaid to meet him with the steel
    a gallant son of eireann was Owen Roe o'Neill.

Internet is a bad place for info Gaelic Cowboy

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lars573 View Post
    And it works in both directions. I won't get to see the latest season of Dr. Who, Merlin, Being Human, or Primeval until 6 months after you.
    How can you watch that stuff? BBC drama's are atrocious.

And that is coming from someone who watches such classics as the "Real Housewives of Orange County", "The Jeremy Kyle Show" and "Ghosthunting with The Only Way is Essex". Yeah that last one really happened.
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.