Thread: Iberi Velites Elite Cavalry Killers?!

Default Iberi Velites Elite Cavalry Killers?!

I just witnessed a retreating unit of 153 Iberi Velites (EXP 1), who just got shredded down to that number by a unit of EXP 3 Cretan archers, not only stop but crush a double charge of EXP 2 Lonchophoroi (99) and EXP 2 Hetairoi Aspidophoroi (98) cav (both units also with weapon/armor upgrades)...

They were part of a ragtag Lusotannan force that was pushing toward Emporion. No general. They managed to just make it to the edge of the woods before they got hit by the cav one-two. They lost only 40 men before literally destroying both cav units and making them rout.

Apart from their combat bonus in the woods, am I missing something here, or are these dudes some undercover cavalry killers?

Battle difficulty - medium
    Last edited by CaptainCrunch; 04-07-2012 at 18:52.

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Default Re: Iberi Velites Elite Cavalry Killers?!

I dunno, spread out units in guard mode with slight cav bonus can rock horsemen.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

Loose formation and/or skirmisher mode can give those results. Which is actually a bit of a bug in the RTW.exe itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Moros View Post
    Loose formation and/or skirmisher mode can give those results. Which is actually a bit of a bug in the RTW.exe itself.
    This is exactly what happened I think. Hmm... interesting, and disappointing. First time I've encountered it actually, and I use cavalry to rout skirmishers all the time.

Thanks for the input fellas.

use cavalry to tag them down and then fallow up by some fast moving units like peltastai (you know they´re more then skirmishers they are batle line troops many peltastai where actually hoplitai and sarissa wielding phallangitai who where equiped in the peltastai style for certain functions)

some theories even defend that alexanders peztharoi had 2 diferent equipments depending on the ground they where fighting