Thread: Jagged Alliance: Back to Action

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Nec Pluribus Impar Member SwordsMaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Jagged Alliance: Back to Action

Hi all,

Have not seen a thread, so here it is:

Anyone played it? I have had a chance to play a little recently, and have formed a short opinion:

It's decidedly prettier than JA2, although the interface could be less clunky. There seem to be too many buttons each with a tiny job where a context sensitive approach would have helped. However, it is something you get used to after a while. I'm not sure if this is a result of wanting to preserve the JA2 feel of 1999.

The game overall is dumber - the pathfinding dreadful, the AI is not too coordinated, and the functions of merc training, militia training on the 'campaign map' is no longer there. Some new touches are positive - there is now one lump -sum to pay for mercs instead of a running cost.

There is no longer turn-based actions, instead it is all real time with a tactical planner, which is both good and bad, as in the absence of turns sometimes your guys will just sit somewhere and get shot. I feel the developers tried to make the game smarter, but without going all the way through where, in now real time they would respond to enemy assault at all.

Anyway, it's still a good game, just not a successor to JA2.
    Managing perceptions goes hand in hand with managing expectations - Masamune

Pie is merely the power of the state intruding into the private lives of the working class. - Beirut

Default Re: Jagged Alliance: Back to Action

Tried the demo. Hated it. Lack of Fog of War completely removed from the game any element of danger as well any need for planning. Merc portraits were horrible, voice acting was even worse.

I've been a long time fan of JA2. This game doesn't even come close.
    "And if the people raise a great howl against my barbarity and cruelty, I will answer that war is war and not popularity seeking. If they want peace, they and their relatives must stop the war." - William Tecumseh Sherman

“The market, like the Lord, helps those who help themselves. But unlike the Lord, the market does not forgive those who know not what they do.” - Warren Buffett

I've played quite a few hours of it.

It's a nice game, but not a carbon copy of JA2, even though it tries here and there.

IMO they put too much focus onto the fighting and some other elements are lacking because of that.

They do however seem willing to improve some aspects via patches and it's an interesting game in itself, but JA2 certainly had more depth.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Wow, they're still patching it and apparently listening to most player requests.

Have a look at the list of changes here, they mention sector inventory, training militia from the strategic view as well as a new "tactical mode" with limited line of sight/fog of war etc.
    At the very least, the devs are showing a lot of passion for their game and the community.

I mean, instead of going "yeah, but we do it our way" or more or less deserting the game like other smaller developers/publishers, they do at least patch things in that people really want.
    Last edited by Husar; 05-01-2012 at 16:27.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    Wow, they're still patching it and apparently listening to most player requests.

Have a look at the list of changes here, they mention sector inventory, training militia from the strategic view as well as a new "tactical mode" with limited line of sight/fog of war etc.
    At the very least, the devs are showing a lot of passion for their game and the community.

I mean, instead of going "yeah, but we do it our way" or more or less deserting the game like other smaller developers/publishers, they do at least patch things in that people really want.
    patch v1.13 hehe, that's a nice touch.
    "And if the people raise a great howl against my barbarity and cruelty, I will answer that war is war and not popularity seeking. If they want peace, they and their relatives must stop the war." - William Tecumseh Sherman

“The market, like the Lord, helps those who help themselves. But unlike the Lord, the market does not forgive those who know not what they do.” - Warren Buffett

Nec Pluribus Impar Member SwordsMaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Reinstall!
    Managing perceptions goes hand in hand with managing expectations - Masamune

Pie is merely the power of the state intruding into the private lives of the working class. - Beirut