Thread: BKB Question

Default BKB Question

Hey guys, I finally got around to trying some other mods! Figured I would start with BKB, (Have played xl fairly extensivley.)
    Got my head served to me by Wales, and Scotland... Which was awesome, but taught me, (again!) Never to leave borders unprotected

Though my question was, I've heard BKB has a unit limit with each era, does that mean if I started an early campaign I won't have accsess to the elite late game units?
    I'm enjoying the mod, but that would probably put a damper on enjoyment if that was the case.

Thanks in advance

Default Re: BKB Question

Quote Originally Posted by SlapFace View Post
    Though my question was, I've heard BKB has a unit limit with each era, does that mean if I started an early campaign I won't have accsess to the elite late game units?
    I've no idea as regards the BKB mod, but that's certainly the case with vanilla MTW.

VictorGB Member Trapped in Samsara's Avatar

Hi

Am currently playing a BKB campaign (my first, actually), and yes, BKB observes the 'practice' (as do most MTW mods in my experience, along with vanilla) that certain units only become available as you move from one era to the next.

Actually, units only becoming available at certain times, or even disappearing from the roster, adds to the game's character for me. No criticism. Obviously it's a matter of taste.

Best regards
    Victor

Sapere aude
    Horace
    Last edited by Trapped in Samsara; 04-27-2012 at 09:48.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

I'm enjoying the mod, but that would probably put a damper on enjoyment if that was the case.
    Unless BKB did something fancy, you should be able to access the late game units, you will just need to wait for the high/late eras to come around before you can recruit them. I'm not sure there is an easy way to exclude units completely based on the starting era, maybe era-specific resources tied to buildings but that's a lot of work.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Moreover, in vanilla MTW some units become unavailable as you move from era to era. Perhaps, this is the case with the mod you play, so watch out, for you favorite unit may one day disappear form training queues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

Thanks so much for all your answers, much appreciated! Now I'm wondering if I will ever last to the High or Late eras!
    BKB has to be the hardest mod I've played, (for any TW game!) Though I suspect playing as England you have a fair few more factions around you... and HRE seem to hate me!

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrandir View Post
    Moreover, in vanilla MTW some units become unavailable as you move from era to era. Perhaps, this is the case with the mod you play, so watch out, for you favorite unit may one day disappear form training queues.
    It's so hard to pick just one unit! Though as England, I do feel that certain sense of happiness when Longbow men are available!

So once again thanks! Oh, and semi related I'm still getting used to actually posting in the forum haha!
    So if I stuff up with quoting, or start to ramble... My bad! (hopefully wont be to long till I get used to it!)

It's so hard to pick just one unit! Though as England, I do feel that certain sense of happiness when Longbow men are available!
    In vanilla MTW the best English unit (which appears in high, though) is billmen. You may have something like them in your mod.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

Longbows aren't too bad either
    The Caravel Mod: a (very much) improvedvanilla MTW/VI v2.1 early campaign

Please make sure you have the latest version (v3.3)
    Since v3.3 the Caravel Mod includes customised campaigns for huge and default unit settings

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

Boondock Saint Senior Member The Blind King of Bohemia's Avatar

Hey guys, I finally got around to trying some other mods! Figured I would start with BKB, (Have played xl fairly extensivley.)
    Got my head served to me by Wales, and Scotland... Which was awesome, but taught me, (again!) Never to leave borders unprotected

Thanks in advance
    Glad your enjoying the mod mate and no I don't think I changed anything like that regarding later unit development, should be as it normally is. Its been years but I'm almost positive!

Quote Originally Posted by The Blind King of Bohemia View Post
    Glad your enjoying the mod mate and no I don't think I changed anything like that regarding later unit development, should be as it normally is. Its been years but I'm almost positive!
    Hello BKB, cool to see one of the "original" modders here

Quote Originally Posted by Durango View Post
    Hello BKB, cool to see one of the "original" modders here
    Cheers Durango. I see you have been modding in recent years as well. Respect to the people who are still modding this great game after all these years. Out of all the Total War titles I always love this one the most

Holy Cow! See what you miss when you go to work haha!

Thanks BKB, what prompted the question was a (misinformed) post at TWC. Bloody fantastic mod, adds so much to the game.
    Finally surviving as England, after having a rough start, France helped by having a civil war, took Wales after they tried for Ireland and were defeated, and had Norway sue for peace after a massive battle that pretty much destroyed their army, and my offensive army!
    I always get excited while playing MTW, but after playing the mod it's the first time I've dreamed about it in a while! The wife’s curious as to why in my sleep I curse France... and horns that sound the retreat!

Thanks again for your direct answer! Hope you know that even today many people are grateful for your mod (and indeed all modders,) effort, and hard work that have been put into the game!

Nice to see people are still playing the mod mate and I'm glad your enjoying it. I try to answer questions if I can but its been years since it was released and my memory of certain things is hazy at best!

VictorGB Member Trapped in Samsara's Avatar

Hi BKB

Just want to say thank you for your oeuvre!

Best regards
    Victor

Sapere aude
    Horace