Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about heroes

Default Question about heroes

Hi to all,

with the help of this fine forum trying to get somewhat deeper into the "dungeons" of my favourite game I stumbled over this "defaultheroes.txt" thing and wondered: The date shown there, is it date of birth or date of showing up? Tried search function "Heroes" but just got puzzled, didn´t get the info I´m looking for...so anybody, could I get to know that tiny bit of detail?
    thx from Markgräflerland,
    daigaku

Default Re: Question about heroes

Hi, you could check one of the most known ones - say Jean D'Arc. Her date of birth is 1412. See what the file says. It could be the date from which they become available - or not. Its not certain they will appear at the prescribed date, seems to me, because you may say have trained less units till then and previous heroes may still be queuing to show up.
    Last edited by gollum; 04-10-2012 at 21:04.
    The Caravel Mod: a (very much) improvedvanilla MTW/VI v2.1 early campaign

Please make sure you have the latest version (v3.3)
    Since v3.3 the Caravel Mod includes customised campaigns for huge and default unit settings

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by gollum View Post
    Hi, you could check one of the most known ones - say Jean D'Arc. Her date of birth is 1412. See what the file says. It could be the date from which they become available - or not. Its not certain they will appear at the prescribed date, seems to me, because you may say have trained less units till then and previous heroes may still be queuing to show up.
    Do you mean to say that Joan of Arc, being a woman, appears in the game as one of the generals heading a unit?
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

I do indeed, and she does as she did.

Since v3.3 the Caravel Mod includes customised campaigns for huge and default unit settings

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

VictorGB Member Trapped in Samsara's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrandir View Post
    Do you mean to say that Joan of Arc, being a woman, appears in the game as one of the generals heading a unit?
    Now, now GilRandir! No sexism on the Org's boards, please.

Best regards
    Victor

Sapere aude
    Horace

Hi,
    as a test started an english/early/GA campaign, they´ve got quite a few heroes in the last years of 11th/first years of 12th century. As far as I got (some 1160s) it seems the dates given in the .txt-files are birthdates. Those guys came along about 16-18 years after the given date, with a strange preferrance for Celtic Warriors (two of the four came as those, though there were Norman Knights to choose as well, being built the same time). I´ll have a look for confirmation...
    greetings, daigaku

As I pay little attention to generals' names, the appearance of historic persons (except that of El Cid) in the game is a real eye-opener for me. What other well-known persons are there?
    And Joan of Arc - next time I play the French I'll watch for her appearance. I wonder what unit she will head. Yet, I don't think it will make much difference as she is going to check in when the game is basically over.

There's plenty of heroes and not just as generals. There are heroes as agents as well, say famous priests/bishops etc. For a full list you can check the txt file daigaku mentions in your main game folder.

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

Hi,

confirmed the theory of birthdates - even bishops, assassins and emissarys turn up about 16-18 years after the date mentioned in the defaultheroes.txt . (grumble) got my "Guy of Gisborne", a 5star-assassin killed in the attempt to go for a 6star inquisitor....

The file to look for is ...\campmap\names\default_heroes.txt

greetings, daigaku
    Last edited by daigaku; 04-16-2012 at 17:15.

Yes the dates in the file are birth dates - searching the modding forums here may have yielded some results.

Quote Originally Posted by daigaku View Post
    Hi,

confirmed the theory of birthdates - even bishops, assassins and emissarys turn up about 16-18 years after the date mentioned in the defaultheroes.txt . (grumble) got my "Guy of Gisborne", a 5star-assassin killed in the attempt to go for a 6star inquisitor....

The file to look for is ...\campmap\names\default_heroes.txt

greetings, daigaku
    After perusing the file I discovered some strange entries in it.
    First of all, some lists of names of non-faction (in vanilla MTW) peoples - Burgundians, Frisians, Dutch, Welsh, Scottish, etc. Are they applied to generals bred in corresponding provinces? (otherwise their existence is inexplicable).
    Second of all - and most astonishing - a list of Mongol princesses' names Has anyone ever seen Mongol princesses in the game?
    Last edited by Gilrandir; 04-20-2012 at 16:31.

MTW is full of remnants and unused bits and pieces, the Mongol princesses are just some of them. The "peoples" you refer to are rebels. You do see something like e.g. "the revolt is led by the Frisians" or similar appearing in game during such uprisings (particularly in the pre battle screen if I recall correctly).

Quote Originally Posted by caravel View Post
    The "peoples" you refer to are rebels. You do see something like e.g. "the revolt is led by the Frisians" or similar appearing in game during such uprisings (particularly in the pre battle screen if I recall correctly).
    Never saw such notices. When I do have revolts they are either loyalist, religious (like muslim rebels, for example), or unspecified. Never had them identified by nationality. Or, perhaps, I didn't pay attention to pre-battle screens (if it is there that the notice appears) while fighting against rebels.

Hi Gilrandir,

put your cursor over an rebel army or their fort; the info-pic scrolling in shows for example "fort of the rebels Livs". I think there this comes from...

haven´t seen a mongol princess, though - what did I miss there? :-)

greetings, daigaku
    Last edited by daigaku; 04-20-2012 at 20:47.

havenґt seen a mongol princess, though - what did I miss there? :-)

greetings, daigaku

I don't think you would miss anything either if you didn't see any of the "pretty" princesses the game abounds in. So seeing Mongol ones would be a nice change, I believe.

Hi Gilrandir,

I don't think you would miss anything either if you didn't see any of the "pretty" princesses the game abounds in. So seeing Mongol ones would be a nice change, I believe.
    actually I don´t dislike them, really. I prefer women with...let´s say, their own head - and a bit of meat on the bones, if you don´t mind my directness :-))))))

daigaku

actually I donґt dislike them, really. I prefer women with...letґs say, their own head - and a bit of meat on the bones, if you donґt mind my directness :-))))))

daigaku
    Hi daigaku
    Don't be so bold as to ventilate your preferences at this forum. I have incurred the charges of sexism (see above a post from Trapped in Samsara). If the said prosecutor sees your comment containing implications of "meat and bones" he may raise his voice on behalf of vegetarians.
    Last edited by Gilrandir; 04-22-2012 at 15:44.

Hi, Gilrandir,

......Samsara......Samsara.....wasn´t that this desert region, where in every oasis the tired warrior was awaited by some sweet smelling Houris?!? Honi soit qui mal y pense......

;-))) Daigaku

Hi, Gilrandir,

......Samsara......Samsara.....wasnґt that this desert region, where in every oasis the tired warrior was awaited by some sweet smelling Houris?!? Honi soit qui mal y pense......

;-))) Daigaku
    Do you realize that by your post you offended:
    1) denizens of desert zones;
    2) evil-smelling Houris;
    3) non-French speaking orgers (including myself).
    These mild charges just augur the ones which are going to pour out on you when Trapped in Samsara sees our correspondence. Which he will, oh yesss, my preciousss, he will.

Hi, Gilrandir

....no newbie entry bonus here ? :-(

never been in the desert, but would love to - my favourite weather is HOT (beyond 35° C) and dry, and under those circumstances would love to be welcomed in the said manner. (didn´t even know or could imagine there were evil smelling ones....)

the french bit is the motto of an Order (don´t ask me for translation of it´s name) meaning "Bad the one thinking bad about it"

oh yesss, my preciousss, bringing battle out of the game right onto my screen - "Fortschritt" or pc?!?

greeting you as bad as I am ;-)))

daigaku

The princesses are in fact supposed to be quite hideous... IMO it adds brilliantly to the atmosphere of the game along with Sean Pertwee's in-battle voice overs, some of the v&v descriptions and the general feel of the artwork and music... Medieval 2 by contrast was very "Disney"...

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Is there by any chance a way we could compile a list of all the MTW heroes?
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Hi daigaku
    never been in the desert, but would love to - my favourite weather is HOT (beyond 35° C) and dry, and under those circumstances would love to be welcomed in the said manner. (didnґt even know or could imagine there were evil smelling ones....)
    Then your favorite MTW units must be Bedouin (or Berber) camels and desert archers. Make the latter shoot the evil smelling Houris and you won't have to wonder if they really are there.

Hi daigaku

Then your favorite MTW units must be Bedouin (or Berber) camels and desert archers.
    Hi Gilrandir,

quite the opposite. My all time favourite faction are the Danes (Redux: Norse), and you can imagine how "evil smelling" those warriors are when arriving in the desert all the way down from Scandinavia... So the imagination of those sweet smelling ones is a necessity to be able to stand the own ... stench?!? ;-)

@edyzmedieval: How do you mean that? The list of game-given heroes is "\campmap\names\default_heroes.txt", including famous kings as well. If you meant something like gamer-developed ones, that will vary so much that a list seems impossible to me.

@ caravel: Hi, caravel, I never tried anything later than rome ´cos of completely different and not-to-my-likes game-engine. But to me, already rome wasn´t the reall McCoy, and am sticking to MTW for serious gaming and STW for occasional recreation ;-) so M2TW I got somewhere, but never even took a look at....

greetings daigaku
    Last edited by daigaku; 04-23-2012 at 19:06.

I was referring to the list of game given heroes.

But looking through the text as I recall is quite difficult, that's why I asked if someone compiled a proper text list.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Quote Originally Posted by Daigaku
    and you can imagine how "evil smelling" those warriors are when arriving in the desert all the way down from Scandinavia...
    More evil smelling than camels? And it depends, do we include farts or not?

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

Let us not enter the realm of camels...

Proud

Been to:

Hi there,

Quote Originally Posted by gollum View Post
    More evil smelling than camels? And it depends, do we include farts or not?
    of coursssse, my precioussss, we include those due-to-unknown-and-strange-food-farts! How could we not! And so the need for sweet smelling Houris may exceed the offer of nicely perfumed bathtub beauties ;-))

edyzmedieval, what problem do you have with camels? Nice animals, sometimes a bit rude, but always seviceing our needs of transport, and good "weapons" against Catholic Katanks ;-))

btw, this list you ask for would be quite lengthy, there are at least about 5 heroes (up to some 15) per listed faction. Maybe, entering the txt-file next time, I could extract the pure names/birthdates for reverence...

greetings, daigaku
    Last edited by daigaku; 04-23-2012 at 20:55.

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval View Post
    Sorry too late...

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval View Post
    Camels, camels, camels, camels, camels!

I could probably add the heroes list to the wiki.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast