Having read some posts about the pope i decided that my problem is slightly different, so here is a new one:

I'm playing 1.3 version H/H as the HRE.

I was excommed around turn 30 while fighting aginst the Milanese. That didn't sound too bad, neither a crusade was sent after me, nor my neighbours attacked me for a while, so I hoped, that I can get un-excommed in some time. Now it's about turn 50 and all of my neighours (Poland, Hungary, Venice, Sicily and France) are in war at me. Still not a big issue, as I can repell them quite easily. Still no crusade. But I can't get un-ecxommed, and now I'm even at war with the Papal States (Got attacked at Ajaccio, but won the battle). I've tried different things; got my Emperor killed, still no forgiveness from the Pope. I tried to get a german Pope elected, so I assasinated the Pope, but even if I had 8 Cardinals, so 8 votes on my german Preferati, the Sicilian candidate became the Pope, and he still hated me. Assassinated again, voted for the english Preferati, got an english Pope, who was in good terms with me - 9/10 on the pop-o-meter, but still keeps attacking me at Florence.

Summary: Excommed, got Emperor killed=not un-excommed, Pope asssassinated=not un-excommed, attacked by Papal states, Pope assassinated again=couldn't get my Preferati elected, altough had 8 votes, english Pope=9/10 on pop-o-meter still not un-excommed no ceasefire gat attacked again

Now what to do? Any tips? I could easily smash the attacking papal force, and take Rome, the only province of the Pope, but I'd rather find a peaceful solution. Thanks for the help!