Thread: Pushing Daisies

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Default Pushing Daisies

Had never heard of it but it's a fun series. How the story is told is so blatantly copied from Amilie Poulin that it feels cheap instead of clever, but there's plenty of hilarity to make up for it. Any takers?

Grand Patron's Banner Bearer Senior Member Peasant Phill's Avatar
    Somewhere relatively safe, behind some one else, preferably at the back
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Pushing Daisies

Here's one.

It's been a while since I saw an episode though.
    The central 'tragic' love story and the humour are hard to find anywhere else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drone
    Someone has to watch over the wheat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TinCow
    We've made our walls sufficiently thick that we don't even hear the wet thuds of them bashing their brains against the outer wall and falling as lifeless corpses into our bottomless moat.

Yeah it's really funny. The jokes keep taking me by surprise. But it's also simply charming. Do think the voice-over was a mistake though, it has got enough fresh idea's of it's own.

Grand Patron's Banner Bearer Senior Member Peasant Phill's Avatar
    Somewhere relatively safe, behind some one else, preferably at the back
    Blog Entries

I don't think the voice-over was a mistake. I have seen Amélie Poulin (a while ago) but I didn't make the connection. I'm sure that many didn't even see Amélie and won't fault the voice-over at all.

I'm a sucker for modern fairy-tales and 'Pushing Daisies' is just that. A storyteller is an important part of a fairy-tale, so even if it's not original it's still part of the charm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drone
    Someone has to watch over the wheat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TinCow
    We've made our walls sufficiently thick that we don't even hear the wet thuds of them bashing their brains against the outer wall and falling as lifeless corpses into our bottomless moat.

Yeah same as Phill, although I did make the connection. The way the dialogue flows, the use of trivia/details, etc... It's been a while since the second series was on Canvas, though.

On the other hand I disagree with you about the narrator for another reason (Phill gave the most important one: it fits the genre). The narrator sets the tone so that the character dialogue isn't just curious exercise in wordplay, so that it makes sense. Also the series is also about the curious coincidences and ironies, narrators help there too to facilitate the change in perspective.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Hmmmm you guys are probably right