So far it is 1215 and the second crusade has just finished. I have tried to take part in it and its predecessor (as England) but when I try to get an army there most of them desert before I get to the straits of Gibraltar. In the First Crusade I kept sailing until I had 1 unit left. In the Second one, once I'd lost half of my men I turned my ships around. But as soon as I dropped the cross, all the rest of them (except the knights) decided to go on without me! (Maybe they then deserted themselves?)

This whole thing leads to even more trouble for me though. You see, in the First Crusade the French got an army (made up of peasents, just like mine) to Jerusalem and took it. That got them in the Pope's good books and now, a Pope later, there are 3 French Cardinals in the Church and no English ones. France declared war and the Pope kept sending me orders not to attack the French. The French, however, still freely attacked me. Looks like the Holy Roman Empire were told the same; but they attacked France I think and were thrown out of the Church. Just this year the French asked for peace and I accepted, but I want to even this up a bit, so how do I? And if it is necessary, can I/how do I, er, remove the Frech Cardinals?