Thread: Tips thread

Default Tips thread

Disclaimer: Some tips or tricks might be considered a cheat, exploit, etc, if you don't like them don't used it in your game, this thread isn't about arguing that, just share you tricks, tips here.

1. Can’t stress this enough especially if playing a Muslim faction, make sure you have diplomats in every region for easy access to every faction; most reputation tips won't work if you don't.....Also no matter what religion alliance with the pope early game before any wars, he will always accept .

2. If you have a good rep, you can offer to trade your own land usually 3 settlements, Let the faction make its own offer to your settlements, they will always say "not interested" but your reputation with the faction will keep going up after every 2 or 3 offers, easy perfect rep. Won't work if your rep is mix or below. (Sometimes it works with mixed but usually if your rep is almost about to advance one level above mixed.

3. Muslim factions who want 100 years of peace especially Egypt, this is great for maybe the first 50-100 turns, after that many turns who cares, you should be powerful by that time......... I play one year turns. Anyways, Jerusalem is usually a big crusade target, knowing this, for this land I build no happy building, spam Imams in that area to get 100% Muslim religion, only build trade and merchant buildings, once a crusade is calling immediately gift it to a catholic faction, with no happy building and 100% Muslim the place will always revolt, take the settlement back from the rebels and not have to worry about have the world being at war with you because the crusade will be canceled. (Never had no rep hits with this method).

Siege battle

1. Never sally out during a besiege unless the AI attacks with a ridiculously low amount of troops because the AI will assault 90% of the time.

2. When the AI assaults have one Calvary unit charge out and destroy the ram unit or any artillery, forcing the AI to climb the walls. Defending the walls is way too easy. On the walls decent spearman can beat foot knights.

3. When assaulting a settlements or castles during the pre battle always realign your troops, the best way in is through the front gate, this means lining up all your troop somewhat behind the artillery. This not only gets all troops into the castle or settlement quick once the gates are open but it also prevent archers from hitting you troops lined up far away from the center.
    Last edited by demfl; 04-08-2012 at 18:33.

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

Default Re: Tips thread

Hey @demfl I like this thread, I'll add some of my insights. I can also recommend you read my guide for hotseat play, which also has strategies applicable to SP. By the way, have you considered coming to the Throne Room to play M2TW versus human opponents?
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!