Thread: Excellent retrospective of Zelda: The Wind Waker

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Default Excellent retrospective of Zelda: The Wind Waker

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...the-wind-waker

It's imho the best Zelda game (haven't played Skyward Sword as my Wii died, waiting for the WiiU), but it took me a while to figure that out. It was a truly great game, and the always well written eurogamer explains why.

The Anger Shaman of the .Org Content Manager Voigtkampf's Avatar

Default Re: Excellent retrospective of Zelda: The Wind Waker

My brother and I, we both love Zelda, and are actually working on a project of making a small retro Zelda game for iOs within next six months. Thanks for the nice link, skipped over it for a second, will be reading more later when I get some peace and quiet (not to mention more vino).

Today is your victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings, The Water Book

Didn't know it? It is by far the best site I know. Always excellent writing. Good luck with the game
    Last edited by Fragony; 04-16-2012 at 09:15. Reason: spelling

The Bad Doctor Senior Member Chaotix's Avatar

Nice article, thanks Frag.

I'm not sure where I stand on the "best Zelda of all time" argument, personally - between OoT, TWW, and Skyward Sword for me, probably, but it's hard to pick a clear winner.

In my experience, most people who think TWW is the best also find that SS is second-best. It's a great game; hope you get to play it soon.
    Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer: The Gameroom

Loved Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask but never played the rest as I stopped buying Nintendo consoles. Hopefully one day i'll get the chance to experience them if I can afford the luxury of having more than one console.

"A lamb goes to the slaughter but a man, he knows when to walk away."

Quote Originally Posted by tibilicus View Post
    Loved Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask but never played the rest as I stopped buying Nintendo consoles. Hopefully one day i'll get the chance to experience them if I can afford the luxury of having more than one console.
    From what I heard de WiiU is fully backward compatible, will even play Gamecube discs

Ocarina was my first Zelda, and so it's not surprising that it is my favourite. I remember standing in my local games shop, totally stunned, watching the demo loop over and over on the day before release. Until then I'd hardly heard of Zelda. Watching that demo I knew I was in love. There were only two copies left in the entire city which hadn't been pre-ordered and by an amazing stroke of luck my Mum managed to get one for me. It was a Christmas present, and I had it finished before the 25th! On that school holiday I lived, breathed and dreamed Zelda. It's impossible to repeat magic like that.

Second place is tied between Wind Waker and Majora's Mask, both excellent games if rather opposite in atmosphere. I'd like to see MM get the same treatment as Ocarina, and appear on the 3DS in lovingly remastered form. Phantom Hourglass on the DS was nice, although I did shelve it when I had to repeat that timed dungeon for the third or fourth time. I'm not fond of time limits and multiple repetition of previously cleared areas.

I remember when the first cartoon screenshots of Wind Waker came out - I was horrified! They had dumped the impressive semi-realistic style of the gamecube's early advertising, and adopted this really ugly, wash-out and cheap-looking cartoon style. It took a long time for the game to evolve into the art style we see in the final game. IMO the final game is the best looking Zelda game, and possibly the prettiest gamecube game bar none. I was a little disappointed when Twilight Princess returned to the visual style seen in those early gamecube promo renders.

I have not been so impressed with the other Zeldas I've played. I don't like the motion controls in the two wii games and the hand-holding becomes more oppressive with each title in the series. Even as IMO lesser Zelda games, they've still got a lot of good in them. Skyward Sword is very beautiful, spoiled only by fuzziness and blurring on my HD TV despite my use of a component cable. I cannot get on with the old 2D games like Link to the Past, the two Oracle games and Link's Awakening; I'm rubbish at the combat and stall on some fight or another in the latter half of each. Still need to play Spirit Tracks on the DS.

Gametrailers has a nice Zelda retrospective series of videos.
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.