Thread: Say Cah-meh-rah

Nec Pluribus Impar Member SwordsMaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Say Cah-meh-rah

Hi all,

SM needs help again! Wohoo!

This time it is because I'm looking for a rugged, portable camera. Mine died in a weird fall-into-a-river-while-mountain-biking-with-the-camera-in-your-pocket incident almost a year ago, and while I thought I would be able to make do with a phone that is not the case.

Current contenders are the new Olympus, and the Nikon, attached for reference.
    http://www.europe-nikon.com/en_GB/pr.../coolpix-aw100

Some requirements are: portability - which is why i don't go for the hard external cases, 3-5m water resistance at least, shock protection, good quality images (low lighting, at least 14mpx, wide angle) , and as good a zoom as I can get...

I'm having a hard time coming up with more contenders, so please help!

Thanks
    Managing perceptions goes hand in hand with managing expectations - Masamune

Pie is merely the power of the state intruding into the private lives of the working class. - Beirut

BrownWings: AirViceMarshall Senior Member Furunculus's Avatar

Default Re: Say Cah-meh-rah

i take it you are not interested in a head-cam like the one i use for mountain biking?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ContourROAM-...5185465&sr=8-1
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Furunculus View Post
    i take it you are not interested in a head-cam like the one i use for mountain biking?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ContourROAM-...5185465&sr=8-1
    Thanks, Furunculus, could do the trick, but only submergible to 1m - I wanted to take surfing picture, and I havent seen if any zooming features have been mentioned. Looks like an excellent piece of kit though.

Pie is merely the power of the state intruding into the private lives of the working class. - Beirut

I'm not too familiar with these kinds of cameras, but here is a comparison of four from last year: Rugged Camera Comparison in Popular Photography Magazine

Here's a comparison on just the waterproof aspect, but on page 1 it has a summary chart which includes ISO range for the low light aspect you are looking for: DP Review Waterproof Camera Comparison

Hope this helps.
    This space intentionally left blank

Blog Entries

Thanks Gregoshi! That should ease things for me.