Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kerbal Space Program

Default Kerbal Space Program

Interesting little game about building your own spacecraft and then flying it into space.
    It's still in alpha stages but you can pre-order it and get each new version for free ala Minecraft.
    It also has a growing mod community, so it's a win win.

There's a also a free demo which is an earlier version (but it has everything you need to get into orbit and land on the moon and stuff).

Been messing around with it for hours. After half a dozen failed attempts at moon landing, I made a three stage thruster system and inadvertently managed to launch myself into an orbit around the sun. Never made it to the moon though.

Website

Website for mods
    Last edited by rajpoot; 04-22-2012 at 16:17.

The horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight.

Senior Member Senior Member Ibn-Khaldun's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Kerbal Space Program

Ha ha.. that looks like a fun game!

Blog Entries

Ok, I've played it for a while and it really is very fun game. So far I have only killed 6 kerbalnauts(?) out of 7 launches. The Moon still looks too far but not for long.

@rajpoot - Any advice on how to build a good spaceship? ~:P

Edit: It seems the right term would be kerbonaut..
    Last edited by Ibn-Khaldun; 04-22-2012 at 18:15.

Robot Unicorn Member Kekvit Irae's Avatar

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

I remember playing with this way back when the version was .6 or something. It was utterly hilarious to build rockets and have them critically fail on the launch pad. The game strikes a really fun balance between legitimate rocket science (yeah, seriously) rocket design and simple silly fun.

It's amazing to see how far the game's come. The newest version in the video kekvit post actually has orbit paths and a moon. While you could always achieve orbit, it looks significantly "easier" to do so now.

If you've never had the fun of KSP then you really owe it to yourself to check it out.

@The King

Check their forums and ask there. When i last visited there were tons of helpful people who could give you all kinds of advice, and the devs love throwing math and formulas around and showing off how deep the mechanics of their game are. I don't know if it's still there but in the old versions there were tons of mods available for more engines, rocket types and different stage separation devices. That's where the real fun came from imo.
    Last edited by Monk; 04-22-2012 at 18:42.

@The King

I'm pretty much a novice myself but a few things I've learned by hit and trial is that you need considerable amount of fuel to provide enough acceleration (say 6 cylinders) to merely make it out of the planet's gravity well.
    The solid thruster seems useless. Also you need multi-staged thrust system. Like you use up the first stage to get into orbit, then drop that off. Then use second stage to get to Mun.

I haven't been able to control flight in space as yet, or even make it to any orbit on purpose. When I did make it to the orbit around sun it was accidental. I just made a 15 cylinder ship with three thrusters in the first stage and one in the second using the three way connector thing. Then I just put it on full throttle and let it fly. Made a few adjustments in order to achieve what I felt was an optimum path to Mun, when suddenly Mun flew by and zooming out I found that the trajectory plot now went around the sun in a full circle.
    If you're in orbit and you run out of fuel you're stuck see.

There's also a wiki. haven't had time to read it yet, but I'm sure you can find some advanced stuff there.
    Last edited by rajpoot; 04-22-2012 at 19:38.

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

This really is a cute, fun little game. Still have no idea how to get into orbit, I dont even make it out of the light blue area of the atmosphere classification at the top.

One of my doomed launches:
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Blog Entries

I found that it's good to use SAS. Just put it on when you launch the ship and it goes straight up. Later you can just adjust your trajectory when you want. The furthest I have managed to get is about 220000 m(?).

Quote Originally Posted by The King View Post
    I found that it's good to use SAS. Just put it on when you launch the ship and it goes straight up. Later you can just adjust your trajectory when you want. The furthest I have managed to get is about 220000 m(?).
    Exactly. Add the Advanced SAS module to your ship right below the command module and enable it as soon as you launch. The bigger/longer the ship gets the more likely it is to get unbalanced during launch so SAS helps immensely.

Also add 4 RC thrusters with a RC fuel tank. That helps in making minor adjustments.

@Hooahguy

Use liquid fuel thrusters. Lot better.
    Last edited by rajpoot; 04-22-2012 at 21:55.

Blog Entries

A little oops moment..

Edit: How big is the planet anyway?

Edit2: Never mind.. found my answer.
    Last edited by Ibn-Khaldun; 04-22-2012 at 23:39.

Well, some progress has been made....

EDIT: Finally got into orbit, though I had no fuel left. Oh well.

Last edited by Hooahguy; 04-23-2012 at 00:50.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Heh, we've discussed and played this some months ago in the chat, might be worth checking how far it has come.

It's indeed a neat game that allows you to do spaceflight without too much button pushing.
    That screen with the "orbit lines" looks interesting, don't remember that from the last version I played, need to check...

Woops, 15$ for the full version by now, will have to wait a bit.
    Last edited by Husar; 04-23-2012 at 10:01.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Passed within a hair's breadth of Mun and got launched into another orbit around the sun. Somehow, no matter how much fuel I carry or how many stages I make, it all seems to get used up before I get near Mun, and then I watch as it passes by with no way to steer the ship towards it.

Alright so I got into orbit, but how do I get to the moon? I just run out of fuel and then Im stuck.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

You can either get into orbit around the planet (haven't managed it yet) then redirect yourself towards Mun, or you can just launch and try to set an approximate path towards it and keep going.
    I always get out of atmosphere, and then run out of fuel and simply glide past Mun, with no way to redirect myself, eventually getting stuck in an orbit around the sun.

I think the trick is to try and plot a course such that the path in the space-map shows the ship going all the way around the planet and then veer off at the point when you're closest to Mun. Very hard to manage fuel though.

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rajpoot View Post
    I think the trick is to try and plot a course such that the path in the space-map shows the ship going all the way around the planet and then veer off at the point when you're closest to Mun. Very hard to manage fuel though.
    Welcome to rocket science

Member thankful for this post:

Blog Entries

I can manage to get into orbit around the planet. And I have managed to get very very close to Mun... and then my fuel ran out and I was stuck in this elliptical orbit around the planet. Those engines in the demo are not powerful enough I think. If I get more fuel with me then it very very slowly gets off from the planet(and about 75% of the case around 3000m the rocket makes a U-turn and head right back towards the land) and if there is less fuel I don't get too far from it. Very frustrating..

Need to check some mods now.

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Sounds like what you guys need is some atomic rocket science: http://www.projectrho.com/rocket/mission.php

This game looks pretty neat.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Robot Unicorn Member Kekvit Irae's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    Alright so I got into orbit, but how do I get to the moon? I just run out of fuel and then Im stuck.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/trydyingtolive

There are quite a few good rocket plans in there, as well as in-depth guides on how to safely land on Mun.

Try: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8SfnFGyDh8
    or the original: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGd_BFu9e10

Blog Entries

Update 0.22 came out and the game now actually have a "career" mode!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6vZiH6Xt_A

Blog Entries

Saying "Hello!" from the North Pole (with Mun in the background)

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Dragonslayer Emeritus Senior Member Sigurd's Avatar

OrgCraft server went down a few weeks before Christmas and I took interest in this game without knowing it had a thread here on org.
    0.22 was my entry version and I have restarted the campaign with the release of 0.23

Searching the game folders, I only found this screenshot (most likely from the 0.22 version), which apparently was taken by a mistake (why not take the screen of the actual successful landing?).

I remember using too much fuel to land and get back into orbit which resulted in a Jeb lost in space scenario and in an non-circular Mun orbit to boot. Launching a rescue ship (with a towing cable) ended in frustration and two kerbals lost in space.
    (Rendezvous in space is perhaps the most difficult part of this game - and mechJeb smart assistance for this is not available early in the game).

0.23 came as a savior.

I use these mods:
    Kethane (only scanned the mun for the stuff, not utilized in a refuel mission yet)
    KSP Interstellar (late tech tree stuff.. not there yet).
    MechJeb2 (a must have SAS help)
    chatterer (seriously cool)
    Enhanced nav ball (just makes the nav ball more "transparent" as you can see the retro grade/prograde/target indicators through the ball).
    KW Rocketry (Fairings and other extra "stuff" - spreads logically on the tech tree)
    Flight Engineer (nice extra info)
    KAS (winches, cables etc.. kerbalnauts can work in space - e.g. install hooks for towing on ships lost in space).
    Joint Reinforcement (removes structural wobbliness)
    Kerbal Alarmclock (if you have many missions running simultaneously - this is a must)
    Nova Punch 2 (another extra rocketry stuff mod - which spreads on the tech tree)
    Status Emeritus

Just going to resurrect this thread...

Anyways KSP is now in beta and its miles ahead from where it used to be. Theres a career mode and loads of mods (though many arent updated to the new update yet it seems), so theres plenty to do even if you cant seem to do the really complicated stuff like landing on a moon. Or orbiting it for that matter. Ive managed to get into orbit without the help of an autopilot system. So far Ive built a reliable rocket delivery system which can get me to the Mun and probably beyond but I havent tried that yet.

Lift-off! The four boosters are enough to get me almost past the first stage of the atmosphere.

Second stage gets me well into orbit.

Third stage is the one that gets me to the Mun with usually about half that fuel left.

...and thats where I run into this problem:

Ive launched five rockets so far and I have yet to get into a stable orbit around the Mun no matter what I do. Four of them collided with the Mun and the fifth one I missed the mark and I decided to abort it. Kinda frustrating but I will keep at it.

In the meantime I launched six communication satellites into stable orbit and a space telescope I have dubbed the "Hobble Telescope."

So far almost all my missions are unmanned, but once I get my probe into orbit around the Mun I will start planning a Mun landing.
    Last edited by Hooahguy; 01-22-2015 at 23:35.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Here are some more pics:

The communications satellite I have 6 of in orbit:

A GPS mapping satellite I have 3 of in orbit:

The Hobble Telescope:

And finally, the probe I sent out towards the sun with a suite of instruments that most of which dont do anything:

Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Members thankful for this post (3):

Ok, some new telescopes! I got a mod which gave me real telescopes and not ones that didnt do anything.

So here is the Hobble Telescope v2:

And the Kerblar Deep Space Telescope:

On the downside, Im crashing way more than I used to...
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Sigurd 

Dragonslayer Emeritus Senior Member Sigurd's Avatar

Stopped playing since last summer trying to launch this thing:

It is the command module of a interstellar battle cruiser. You can see all the connection ports on its sides where other modules would be connected, assembling this monster in space...

Sadly even with the 64x version the game stutters and you'll probably spend hours watching this launch to space. The game occupies 3.6 GB ram, which should be ok considering 64x and 8 GB available.
    Maybe I will download the Beta version... we'll see.
    Status Emeritus

Alright ladies and gents, prepare to here the sad, sad tale of the International Kerbal Space Station.

It was a lovely station. Many crew compartments, a science lab, and enough power to sustain itself for years.

The initial crew was just three, but that wasnt enough to crew everything, so I had to add more Kerbals to the crew. Bring in the IKISS Shuttle. Its not really a shuttle, as its more of a rocket than anything, but it served its purpose. Anyways it took two tries to get it to dock with the IKSS but I managed to get it done. I had five crew transfer into the IKSS and everything was great.

Then I got cocky and went to do another trip, bringing another six Kerbals to the station. But I miscalculated and slammed into the station, breaking it in half. So the station is ruined and I have to mount rescue missions, one of which will require my Kerbals to jetpack over to the rescue craft as it has no docking ports. So its going to be an eventful few missions! Assuming I dont crash every fifteen minutes.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

For some reason I cannot get into the game. I'm not sure why. I'll have to play it again soon. Maybe now.

If the math is putting you off, try the MechJeb mod. Its an autopilot which allows for the more complicated gameplay involving math to be done automatically but leaves the interesting parts for you to do.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

So the rescue missions were a complete failure. Between system failures and the fact that the collision sent the two pieces at a higher velocity than originally planned, catching up to them very hard, not to mention docking or getting close enough for a spacewalk rescue. In the end, the eight Kerbalnauts were lost to space, and the Austark Space Program was shut down, pending congressional review on how such a loss of life was possible.

Also I ended up scrapping it because I was crashing way too much and I needed to see which mods were causing it. Ah well, I will launch a new space station which will be much better and have better contingencies should I end up crashing into it again.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast