Thread: Dear Esther

Default Dear Esther

Stumbled across the review on IGN and it sounds like it might be an interesting experience for a reasonable cost.

Anyone else planning on getting this? Or has anyone tried the original mod?

Official Website

The horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight.

Default Re: Dear Esther

Just saw it on steam today. It looks interesting, and I would buy it, but it won't run good on my computer :(

It's supposed to run on the Source Engine, so if you can run Half Life 2 you're good!

I bought it yesterday after reading all the good reviews. Still haven't had time to play it yet, since I've been hooked onto WoT. Going to post back once I start playing.

Edit:
    Found exact requirements-
    Dear Esther Minimum System Requirements
    CPU: Pentium 4 3.0GHz
    RAM: 1 GB RAM
    GPU:128 MB, Shader model 2.0 or higher
    DX: dx90c
    HDD: 2 GB Hard Disk Space
    Audio: DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card

Dear Esther Recommended System Requirements
    CPU: Intel core 2 duo 2.4GHz or higher
    RAM: 1 GB
    GPU: DirectX 9 compatible video card with Shader model 3.0. NVidia 7600, ATI X1600 or better
    Last edited by rajpoot; 02-21-2012 at 07:00.

1000 post member club Member Quid's Avatar

Apparently, you don't really 'play' it as it is not really a 'game' but rather an experience that lasts for about 90 minutes. Hope you enjoy it - pretend you're at the cinema.

Quid
    ...for it is revenge I seek...

Cry Havoc and let slip the dogs of war
    Juleus Ceasar, Shakespear

I've been at it since an hour, and I think Quid has it spot on. I don't think this can be constituted as a game. It's a bunch of voice overs and tons of beautiful scenery.

I confess that I can make out nothing of the story as yet. I've been wandering around aimlessly, trying to make sense of what the narrator is saying (with little luck), and soaking in the surroundings. The game is beautiful, and I mean really beautiful. One can just walk around leisurely looking at the wind rippling through the bushes, the water trickling down mossy stones. The world seems empty and desolate and there's something odd about it, but otherwise it looks like the outskirts of a small coastal village, and just walking along the rock strewn beach is a pleasure.

I confess I was expecting something else....but still, $10 seems a bit too much for it, if this is all there is....

Quote Originally Posted by rajpoot View Post
    It's supposed to run on the Source Engine, so if you can run Half Life 2 you're good!

I bought it yesterday after reading all the good reviews. Still haven't had time to play it yet, since I've been hooked onto WoT. Going to post back once I start playing.

Edit:
    Found exact requirements-
    [/FONT]
    My processor is a 2 ghz dual core, would that be enough? Everything else on my computer is good.

Quote Originally Posted by rajpoot View Post
    I confess I was expecting something else....but still, $10 seems a bit too much for it, if this is all there is....
    I was reading a review for the game and one person commenting on the article put it this way, $10 is actually less than what you pay for a movie ticket in a lot of places.

I think it should work with that, but still IMO you should confirm it with someone more knowledgeable about hardware before you buy the game.

Or you can get the old one that was free and try that out first.

Grand Patron's Banner Bearer Senior Member Peasant Phill's Avatar
    Somewhere relatively safe, behind some one else, preferably at the back
    Blog Entries

I bought the game. I read in a review that a first playthroug can last up to 2 hours. So I'll wait until I have the time but I quite curious about this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drone
    Someone has to watch over the wheat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TinCow
    We've made our walls sufficiently thick that we don't even hear the wet thuds of them bashing their brains against the outer wall and falling as lifeless corpses into our bottomless moat.

Blog Entries

Aaaand it took until yesterday to play it.
    It's pretty much as Quid and Rajpoot said, it's not a game. I see it more as an interactive movie.
    Beautiful scenery (especially the cave chapter) but that' wasn't what really got me. It's the musical cue's, the sudden anecdotes, the strange and out of place objects and writings, the disapearing silhouette, ... It makes for an amazing, gripping atmosphere. Something I rarely experience otherwise.

It's only an experiment though. It has it's flaws: I found the ending not so impressive as the rest, there was only one way to travel although a large part was modeled, Eventhough I loved it I doubt I'll play it a second time, ...
    Last edited by Peasant Phill; 07-17-2012 at 12:05.
    We've made our walls sufficiently thick that we don't even hear the wet thuds of them bashing their brains against the outer wall and falling as lifeless corpses into our bottomless moat.

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

Coincidentally, it is on the Steam Summer Sale today at 75% off: $2.49 USD

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

A free not-really-game-game you should all at least try http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...ely-terrifying

In the beginning you are all meh that's not scary, but it really gets under your skin. You have to collect 8 notes about 'the Slender Man', after you find the first he will start stalking you. It's really nerve-wracking

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Peasant Phill View Post
    Aaaand it took until yesterday to play it.
    It's pretty much as Quid and Rajpoot said, it's not a game. I see it more as an interactive movie.
    Beautiful scenery (especially the cave chapter) but that' wasn't what really got me. It's the musical cue's, the sudden anecdotes, the strange and out of place objects and writings, the disapearing silhouette, ... It makes for an amazing, gripping atmosphere. Something I rarely experience otherwise.

It's only an experiment though. It has it's flaws: I found the ending not so impressive as the rest, there was only one way to travel although a large part was modeled, Eventhough I loved it I doubt I'll play it a second time, ...
    Perfectly sums up my feelings too. I really enjoyed it, but if I ever play it again it will be a long time from now.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

how much does it cost?

We do not sow.

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

£1.74 on Steam for the next 7 hours.

ye i got it, 2 bux why not XD

We do not sow.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    A free not-really-game-game you should all at least try http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...ely-terrifying

In the beginning you are all meh that's not scary, but it really gets under your skin. You have to collect 8 notes about 'the Slender Man', after you find the first he will start stalking you. It's really nerve-wracking
    Oooh great find. I've known about the Slender Man for quite some time. I love the fake mythology erected around it. The photo's, the youtube clips, the journal ... I'm definatly going to give this one a try.

Quote Originally Posted by The Stranger View Post
    ye i got it, 2 bux why not XD
    Let us know what you think of it.

Oooh great find. I've known about the Slender Man for quite some time. I love the fake mythology erected around it. The photo's, the youtube clips, the journal ... I'm definatly going to give this one a try.
    Keep an extra pair of underwear ready it's really unsettling. It's all the more fun if you are familiar with fake mythology, soooooo sinister

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post

I read about the game in your posts in 'What are you playing thread' and actually downloaded it, before deleting it without installing.
    I was sorely tempted to play it you know, but I can't abide survival horror.
    I prefer my games to be leisurely, too much suspense or tension is bad for my frayed nerves.

You really want to stay clear from this one then, it's a real mind. It's a major youtube hit to film yourself while playing it, it's hilarious how people are crying like a baby

Let us know what you think of it.
    i dont get the game XD but i enjoyed the narrative, tho i quit because i didnt have time to play it for 2 hours straight. ill do it when i have some more time. it looks quite nice tho

We do not sow.

Member Member Plasmanaut on Fire Champion Memnon's Avatar

Why... Why Fraggony? Why did you have to introduce me to the idea of the slender man? I'm already paranoid enough to have stopped my moonlight jaunts through the woods, but now, well I won't even be outside after 6 pm now. Even the walk to my car to get groceries was terrifying. He's following me, as are the silent and the weeping angels, all things introduced by that one link.

In all seriousness though, that is terrifying, and if I hadn't seen it I would have been much better off, although it is so very interesting. I wonder; does he take the children to some mystical fun land, or does he just eat them?

Because I'm cruel. I am also right behind you right now.