Thread: Is that me, or AI always sets the worst situation for you on diplomacy?

Default Is that me, or AI always sets the worst situation for you on diplomacy?

No, I dont mean the eventual hostilities, or Daimyo honor. I know everyone will attack you at the end. But I am suspicious of that the oldest and strongest allies backstabs you, no matter whatever you do to please them.

Once, I started a campaign with Tosa. As you know, you start on an island isolated from mainland, with 3 other neighbours. I smashed the first enemy on top in few turns, and had very good relationships and an alliance with the one on the right. Then suddenly, the one at the top right declared war to me. I thought "It is ok, the game tests you... It supports Shogunate, and its fun to have an enemy anyway." And then, next turn few more clans from long distance, had joined the war against me. (By the way not even the most friendly clan accepts your alliance invite if you have no borders. But everyone feels free to declare war no matter how far they are. So frustrating) I destroyed the second clan on the island, and since I was very friendly with the third, I was thinking to step to the main island.

Then wham! My neighbour changed his side for the Shogunate, and changed from fery friendly to hostile in 1 turn. Next turn, he declared war on me.

This kind of stories happens on my "every" campaign. Somehow, in few turns everyone left me alone.

I know the diplomatical balance is very fragile in S2TW, am I missing something? Maybe che character of the clan? Or Daimyo honor? Can you say "No, you are dreaming, you are just an old wolf who plays S2TW like STW, and complaining about diplomacy"?

Default Re: Is that me, or AI always sets the worst situation for you on diplomacy?

Im really getting tired of this.

Last night I was playing Aizu, I gained 3 provinces, and I had the best diplomatical situation ever: Jozai, Edo and Sendai were all my allies, and they all were very friendly. I was sweeping the Empire followers together with Jozai.

Then, wham! Jozai suddenly turned to the Empreror,and next turn he declared war on me!

I dont know how you guys play this, but Im about to give up trying to finish the game at least for once.

Default Re: Is that me, or AI always sets the worst situation for you on diplomacy?

What difficulty level are you playing?

If the AI can't beat you in a battle, which I am sure it can't after anyone has played any other TW game basically, it attempts to annoy you to the point where you just can't be arsed anymore =p

Legendary.

Is is possible in Legendary, AI sets the other factions political view to backstab you? I mean, Jozai is one of the main Shogunate clans.

Ah, you are right, I am already ok with other factions having unlimited money, building everything and train the best soldiers.

But change political status only to hit me from back? That's something else.

Ok thats it, I quit trying single player.

I was Jozai, I conquered like 5 or 6 provinces, Edo and Aizu were my allies.. I helped alot Edo to conquer other provinces, it had like 5 or 6 other provinces... Then Edo turned to Imperial side!

This game is like a joke. Unless someone tells me I do something stupid on diplomacy, or publish a patch to disallow to change sides, I will not play it anymore.

To the best of my knowledge, the only way to keep the AI from attacking you is to ensure they are too weak, or that they are otherwise occupied.

Use of agents is key. Sabotaged castles do not produce troops; keep the AI repairing castles. Rebellions keep the AI occupied; use monks to create rebellions wherever possible. Sure, help the AI expand but never allow it to become strong. Never trust anyone you share a border with.

For an excellent example of how this works, read: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...tion-V5445)-10
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Quote Originally Posted by HopAlongBunny View Post
    To the best of my knowledge, the only way to keep the AI from attacking you is to ensure they are too weak, or that they are otherwise occupied.

Use of agents is key. Sabotaged castles do not produce troops; keep the AI repairing castles. Rebellions keep the AI occupied; use monks to create rebellions wherever possible. Sure, help the AI expand but never allow it to become strong. Never trust anyone you share a border with.

For an excellent example of how this works, read: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...tion-V5445)-10
    Thanks for the advices.

Actually what I moaning about was not the untrustable diplomacy and backstabbing. I get used to it from Shogun 2. This time problem is that the best ally turns enemy to you in one turn because of the allegiance change. Why did Edo turned? It was in good spot, we all were strong and together and with trade agreements. So why?...

I think one possibility. In game logic, when the time comes I must be the vanguard. But if there are any other clan who has more land, I have to be the sidekick, which is not the path of the game. So if anyone gets more provinces than me, it turns to the other allegiance, so I might be the biggest again.

Anyway after I come and cried to the forum, I thought like "What the hell, I will give it a shot...", and continued my game. And it all turned amazing!

Edo turned to Imperial side as I said, but all its lands were at the heart of the Shogunate clans. I blitz its 3 provinces, and took one more later. And northern clans took the other one.Since it has one province left, I made it my vassal.

It all were looking good, but because of my tons of bad experience, I was like "Okay, now endless stacks of Tsu and the others will arrive and the game will turn impossible to win again". But guess what? Obama and some other clan took Tsu out. And all Shogunate clans smashed the Imperial side, both on land or at the sea, without my help. My allies are so strong, I have walk from Mino to Aki to attack the nearest enemy!

Because of the over-imbalanced AI, all enemies still ignores the other clans and sends their stacks with fleets to attack me. For example Tosa attacks Edo, and the 10 provinces between me and him are all Shogunate. But its ok. I passed the critical point.

I think I will finally win my first FotS game ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Yesugey View Post
    And there was much rejoicing!
    This space intentionally left blank

Good to hear!

Ja-mata TosaInu

Thanks, Gregoshi, HopAlongBunny :) Game crashed and wasted my save yesterday, but this time I was prepared so it costs only 2 days of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Yesugey View Post
    Congratulations!

Besides, you can edit your posts, so you don't always have to make several ones after another
    Last edited by Liberator; 06-25-2012 at 20:26.
    Better dead than a Coward - Gurkha motto

Quote Originally Posted by Liberator View Post
    Congratulations!

Besides, you can edit your posts, so you don't always have to make several ones after another
    Thanks mate :) I post only two in a row because their subjects were different.