Thread: Into the Desert - A Saba AAR

Default Into the Desert - A Sabaen AAR

Greetings, and have fun with this AAR.

Rules:
    1. Playing VH/M with no battle time limit (BI 1.6 and EB 1.2)
    2. Any town with stone walls or better must be sieged into surrender or sally, no assaulting
    3. Routers must only get chased by light infantry and cavalry
    4. Rebel army must be destroyed or after 2 years I'm forced to crush them with my current town garrison
    5. I can't transport a full stack army with just a single ship, should be a whole fleet
    6. Faction expansion depends on the faction leader's traits
    7. Generals and Captains fight only if absolutely necessary

But there exist exceptions sometimes.
    Last edited by LotW89; 05-02-2012 at 22:50.

Default Table of Contents & Timeline

Table of Contents

Timeline
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    • 272 BC Spring
      • Yazil Il Watar layed siege to Tamane
    • 272 BC Winter
      • Yazil Il Watar conquered Tamane and enslaved the settlement
    • 271 BC Summer
      • The Sabaen tribe announced an alliance with the Ptolemaioi
    Last edited by LotW89; 05-03-2012 at 16:22.

Default Introduction

Into the Desert
    Introduction

Some time ago... the Sabaen tribe ruled over the desert, they conquered it... and lost it.
    But they won't forget... they will get their revenge, and they'll conquer Arabia! Some Hellenic king conquered the world, why shouldn't the Sabaen tribe do the same?
    It is the year 272 BC and it is the time of changing.

The royal family

Malek Yazil and his heir Halik

Maryab, Capital of the Sabaen

Malek Yazil Il Watar called his son and two of his loyal agents to his residence...
    "The shadow greets you Malek..." said Yusif Um Namran, a young spy with a voice like a snake, well... not really. Although he's at young age he has a great talent for secret missions.
    Yazil looked at him, he couldn't believe that this young man came inside the residence without being noticed by the guards... "I have an important misson for you Yusif. You have to go to the Qatabaen Capital, I want every single detail what happens there."
    Yusif nodded. "I will do as you wish my Malek." He bowed to him and... then he disappeared.

Halik heard that short conversation. "Qataban father? Why?" - Yazil looked at his son like if he asked something really stupid... but well of course, he wasn't that bright, but he was his son... "My son... you know, the Qatabaen people bowed to us. It is our right to get their mines... ehm... to bring them to glory again."
    "That's great! I want to help them too..." said his son. Just in that moment Zari' Shams Asri' comes into the residence. "My Malek, you called me." he said and bowed friendly.
    Zari' was a very talented diplomat and finished his recruiting not so long ago.
    "Another young agent...", Yazil said. "Well you should go to the lands of egypt... They have rich lands and we could negotiate an alliance and trade rights with them." ... 'Well until I'll conquer them.' he thought for his self.
    "Yes my lord. I'm on my way." Zari' bowed deeply and went outside the residence. He know, that he can do it.

Now the Malek and his son were alone in the residence... "My son, Arabia is divided, it is our duty to bring the tribes together. Almagah wants it..." he said. 'Of course it'll bring me fame and glory and all the rich mines.'
    Yazil knew, that he will be the liberator of Arabia, nobody else could do this.
    Last edited by LotW89; 05-02-2012 at 23:10.

Default Re: Introduction

Quote Originally Posted by LotW89 View Post
    Zari' was a very talented diplomat and finished his recruiting not so long ago.
    "Another young agent...", Yazil said. "Well you should go to the lands of egypt... They have rich lands and we could negotiate an alliance and trade rights with them." ...
    If you have not played a Sab'yn campagin so far, you will notice that a war with Egypt is quite possible before the diplomat can even reach the yellow territories. In this case Zari' Shams Asri' can prove his skills as peace negotiator. But such a difficult diplomatic task as his first professional action might probably overstrain his experience. ;)
    Last edited by Pikenier; 05-03-2012 at 13:15.

Default Chapter I

Chapter I - Yazil Il Watars Greed
    Part I - The Battle of Tamane

In 272 BC the Sabaen Malek Yazil layed siege to the Qatabaen capital Tamane...
    Soon they attacked the city before the end of that year.

Yazil Il Watar stood before the town, soon it'll be under his rule. Of course his son Halik was there too. "That you'll learn some warfare." Yazil said before they went into the south...
    Now they were here. Halik was excited at the battle. "I want to fight too father...".
    "No you won't you are my heir, and you should sacrifice the lower people first." he answered. Yazil didn't care for his soldiers... he can't lose here.
    Halik understood, he was too important to risk his life... but he had weapons, and he wanted to use them...

After quite a while there was a person coming to Yazils camp. It was Yusif...
    "The shadow gree..." - "Aren't you supposed to be in Tamane?" Yazil asked him befor he even let him speak out.
    "Yes yes my lord... but they have plans to sally out and break this siege." Yusif said.
    Yazil thought about it... "So'll be it. Halik! Perpare the man for the fight." - "Yes father." Halik nodded to his dad and went to the soldiers, he didn't know how to do this, but he also didn't want to disappoint his father...
    "And you..." Yazil turned to Yusif. "... you get a new task: Go to the lands of Ma'in into the city of Carna, I want to know what the Minaei plan to do..."
    Yusif nodded. "So it'll be Malek." he said, and like the last time he disappeared. I wonder where he learned that.

Yazil Il Watar versus Karab

Yazil was no leader of men, but everyone starts from scratch... Karab was quite a general.
    "Men! Today we'll write history, today we'll start the liberation of Arabia. Be proud you men, you are part of this great history! So fight and conquer this town for Almagah!" The men cheered and Yazil's first battle started...
    First thing was that he ordered to bring down the wall with two rams and to attack the city guards from two sides...
    It wasn't that hard, the walls weren't that solid, so they cornered the city guards who haven't a real chance.
    Yazil overlooked at the situation. "They don't stand a chance... you see that my son?" He wanted to talk to his son, but... he wasn't there!

Halik was inside the town... he couldn't stand at the hill and let the men fight! He can fight too...
    Suddenly there was Karab... Malek of Qataban. "The Sabaen people are traitor to our god! We won't give up! We will stay and fight. And you will see the wrath of our tribe!" he shouted.
    Halik saw him a moment, but it was too late, he was trampled down and the Sabaen people saw it... their prince... he were on the ground an Karab looked at them angrily. He was a good fighter and no one could reach him.
    The Yazil appeared when his men wavered... he fought against Karab and... he won!

In the end it was quite a battle, and they killed every soldier in town... no one would survive for that!
    But luckily Halik just fell inside an alleyway and passed out...
    "Huh... we won?" he asked surprised.
    "Of course we won... but you'll go back to Maryab." his father said sternly.

"My lord... the city is ours, what should we do with the people?" someone asked him.
    Yazil thought about it a moment and decided: "They could rebel... take everyone who can work and bring them to the mines. They will work for us now! When they defend themself then... well you could tickle them with your spears." he announced. 'They have to be punished... they could have joined us without a fight...' he thought.

Now Yazil had to restock his army for conquering Ma'in.

Mid of year 271 BC Zari' arrived at Alexandreia... it looked like a proud city. And he hoped, that he will do his duty like a professional, although he learned everything in Maryab... this was his first mission.
    Getting into town wasn't a big problem, his Hellenic wasn't great, but it sufficed.
    At the governor's building he asked for him... they discussed some time and finally they came to an agreement.
    The Sabaen tribe would get trade rights and allys with the Ptolemy and they get the map information from them...

Few days later Yazil got a message from Zari'. Yazil grinned at the message. 'Now I know where you are... and we will come soon, you'll see...'
    Last edited by LotW89; 05-04-2012 at 08:29.

Default Re: Chapter I

5. "I can't transport a full stack army with just a single ship, should be a whole fleet"

Well, that ain't going to be cheap :O

Quote Originally Posted by Servilius Novus View Post
    5. "I can't transport a full stack army with just a single ship, should be a whole fleet"

Well, that ain't going to be cheap :O
    You're right, but luckily I won't need ships often :D

Member thankful for this post:

GREAT AAR :)

Member thankful for this post:

LotW89 

Had to format my computer, so it'll take some time for the next release.

Take your time. As long as you don't lose your savegame, either through file corruption or formatting, this AAR should live on. Will be very interesting to see how this develops once you have secured your base.