Thread: What happens in Cartagena doesn't stay there

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

Default What happens in Cartagena doesn't stay there

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/04/27/po...ice/index.html

So, what is the outrage all about? Prostitution is legal in Columbia, and since the rules for these agents are being changed because of this incident we can surmise that it wasn't against their rules at the time when this happened. I can see that some people will consider it an embarassment, but does that excuse firing nine people over it?

One argument I heard is that using of this kind of services makes the agents vulnerable to blackmail, or liable to divulge sensitive information in their post-coital mellowness. But is that a sufficient reason to A) ban it, and B) fire the agents over it even when it wasn't banned?

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Default Re: What happens in Cartagena doesn't stay there

I believe part of the problem was failure to pay for services. I mean, if you're going to engage a prostitute, you should at least pay for the privilege.

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

Apparently one of the working girls felt insulted when one of the agents tried to barter and suggested a ridiculously low price. No idea what happened next, or how it got out.

Is there actually a federal law against prostitution? I thought that in Nevada, at least, it was legal.

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kralizec View Post
    Is there actually a federal law against prostitution?
    Darn good question. I'm not seeing it, but maybe someone with stronger Google-fu can find something.

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gelatinous Cube View Post
    Its only legal in nevada in certain establishments. I'm rather sure that according to federal law it is illegal to pay for sex. But that aside, the Secret Service (as well as any other high-profile government agency, including the military) has its own rules and regulations regarding acceptable conduct.
    Plus, I believe there is a question of abuse of office, didn't one of the agents basically do the "I'm Secret Sevice, I shouldn't have to pay that" thing?
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

If paying for sex is illegal per federal law, shouldn't all prostitition be illegal across the entire US?

In the CNN article I linked to:

Called Enhanced Standards of Conduct, the new guidelines given to all Secret Service personnel make clear that standards of behavior required in the United States apply on missions abroad, the sources said.

Effective immediately, the new standards require detailed briefings before each trip that will include safety precautions and any necessary designations of establishments and areas that are "off limits" for Secret Service personnel, the sources said.

Also in the new standards, foreigners are banned from Secret Service hotel rooms at all times, except for hotel staff and host nation law enforcement and government officials on official business, according to the officials, and all Secret Service personnel are prohibited from going to a "non-reputable establishment."

The new standards specify that U.S. laws apply to Secret Service personnel when traveling, rendering invalid the excuse that specific activity is legal in the foreign country, the officials said.
    Allthough vague on some points, the bolded part would suggest that those agents didn't violate any rule that applied to them.

Employment carries its own set of expectations that are dependent on the employer that go beyond the law. Those expectations may or may not even be detailed in writing; however, they are well understood. For example,itt is perfectly legal to post lots of nasty or revealing things on Facebook, but, in my current occupation, I would be fired for doing so. My guess is that these agents knew that they were not living up to the standards of the agency but thought they could get away with it since it had been done before.

Is there actually a federal law against prostitution? I thought that in Nevada, at least, it was legal.
    Counties with population less than 400000 can license brothels. Weird I know, but hey.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

In my job, if I were to go an have a drink at the bar at a conference I would be in breach of the ABPI code of conduct and could be fired. If I don't like the rules, I'd best get a different job.

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

Standing Up For Rationality Senior Member Ronin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gelatinous Cube View Post
    If you're acting as an agent of the US Government on foreign soil, you are required not only to abide by their laws but by our laws as well. The upcoming policy change is aimed at trying to make that less vague and more specific, but it should have been understood by those agents that what they were doing was against the rules.

I mean, they're Secret Service Agents. What if one of those girls had been a spy? An assassin? Something else? They were on the job, and no matter how you slice it they screwed up. In the Army they would have called this a breach of OpSec, and you would be hammered for it.
    absolutely...I would expect a secret service agent to be able to pull this off without getting caught.
    that's the reason to question their professionalism.
    "If given the choice to be the shepherd or the sheep... be the wolf"
    -Josh Homme
    "That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!"
    - Calvin

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    I believe part of the problem was failure to pay for services. I mean, if you're going to engage a prostitute, you should at least pay for the privilege.
    This. Secret Service types have big egos and one decided he didn't want to pay.

The thing that upsets me is that the other guys paid up and either didn't help him with the cash or he didn't want their help. That's unprofessional.

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/04/27/po...ice/index.html

So, what is the outrage all about? Prostitution is legal in Columbia, and since the rules for these agents are being changed because of this incident we can surmise that it wasn't against their rules at the time when this happened. I can see that some people will consider it an embarassment, but does that excuse firing nine people over it?

One argument I heard is that using of this kind of services makes the agents vulnerable to blackmail, or liable to divulge sensitive information in their post-coital mellowness. But is that a sufficient reason to A) ban it, and B) fire the agents over it even when it wasn't banned?
    We want the people responsible for the presidents life to be sober minded and dedicated...

Though I do think some people were too eager to make jokes about the subject.
    Last edited by Sasaki Kojiro; 05-04-2012 at 03:28.