Thread: The Elder Scrolls Online

Undercover Lurker Member Mailman653's Avatar

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

Default Re: The Elder Scrolls Online

I am simultaneously intrigued and repulsed. On one hand, the Elder Scrolls games would convert over to an MMO incredibly easily due to their massive open world nature. There is a great deal about the standard ES games that I would very much enjoy experiencing with other players. On the other hand, I'm concerned that adding many new players into the game would itself ruin the ES experience.

Going to be interesting to see how this one plays out.

"A lamb goes to the slaughter but a man, he knows when to walk away."

Quote Originally Posted by tibilicus View Post
    Going to be interesting to see how this one plays out.
    Ak4t0sh_909 says: LF1M for Necromorgan, Master Resto preferred, no bosmers plz
    "And if the people raise a great howl against my barbarity and cruelty, I will answer that war is war and not popularity seeking. If they want peace, they and their relatives must stop the war." - William Tecumseh Sherman

“The market, like the Lord, helps those who help themselves. But unlike the Lord, the market does not forgive those who know not what they do.” - Warren Buffett

Annoyingly awesome Member Booger Flick Champion, Run Sam Run Champion, Speed Cards Champion rickinator9's Avatar

I don´t know how this might work out. They have put in 3 years into Skyrim alone. If you would want a game of comparative scale all over tamriel, you would need near to a decade.
    rickinator9 is either a cleverly "hidden in plain sight by jumping on the random bandwagon" scum or the ever-increasing in popularity "What the is going on?" townie. Either way I want to lynch him. - White Eyes

This is just, terrible.
    Set a millennium before Skyrim means that on the upside we'll probably keep getting SP games from Bethesda, on the downside it means that the MMO will be messing with a lot of lore.
    Maybe they can just call it non-canon. I don't care. As long as they keep making good single player games, I just don't care.

The horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight.

Quote Originally Posted by rajpoot View Post
    This is just, terrible.
    Set a millennium before Skyrim means that on the upside we'll probably keep getting SP games from Bethesda, on the downside it means that the MMO will be messing with a lot of lore.
    Maybe they can just call it non-canon. I don't care. As long as they keep making good single player games, I just don't care.
    Well lets run some numbers then. Total years in the 3rd and 4th eras= 634. Leaving us with 366 back into the second era. Or it'll be set in 2E 531. Which is quite devoid of lore events. Checking the wiki the last major lore event was the assassination of the last Akaviri Potentate by the Morag Tong in 2E 431. Which is also the date given for the collapse of the Reman empire. And the first lore event after that is the Knahaten Flu pandemic of 2E 560. As far as places to set a game go it's pretty good. No big time major lore characters are running about. Plus it's quite different than any other ES game. No empire at all, just the ruins of the second one. All of the provinces split into the petty kingdoms that they were forged out of. Civilization in general in decline.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

Messing withe lore is not restricted to modifying stories/rules set in place, but also includes adding new bits and pieces which don't fit with the general theme of the universe.
    It's still way too early to bother about such stuff I guess but MMORPGs have a history of ruining RPGs or whatever SP game they come from.

eh I dunno about this. I think it could be fun, but I doubt it will be able to have the immersion of the single player Elder Scrolls, which is what makes those games great. The Game Informer article says it's going to be developed developed by Zenimax Online Studios, so at least we know that Bethesda will still be making the single player games.

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mailman653 View Post
    So the Elder Scrolls series is officially dead, then. Fantastic.

The best part about the ES series isn't combat, overcoming big bosses, or finishing quests. Goodness I never even did the Civil War quest line in Skyrim because I couldn't be bothered. It's about exploration and what you find on the way to the quest - you're walking and all of a sudden a vampire attacks you and infects you. Now you're on a race against time to get cured before you turn. Or you stumble into a mineshaft looking for food only to find it's overrun by bandits who happen to have a blind look-out. It's about what's over the next hill because the road goes ever on and on...

Those are not aspects that can be improved with an mmo environment.

At least I have the Skyrim DLC to look forward to, I guess.
    Last edited by Monk; 05-04-2012 at 09:52.

They mixed the Elder Scrolls theme into the music.
    I'd stopped following the Bethesda-Zenimax lawsuite (there has been one about the franchise right?). How did Zenimax end up getting the rights to making the MMORPG anyway?

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

There's enough lore in the TES universe to build a MMO with, but I'm not sure it would be any good. One reason why I enjoyed Morrowind so much (and to a lesser degree Oblivion; haven't tried Skyrim yet) is the lack of pressure: do whatever quest you want, when you want etc.

Speaking of which, right now I'm playing an incredibly awesome Oblivion mod that basically recreates Morrowind and all its quests. Pretty impressive so far. Google "morroblivion" if interested.

I remember that mod. Last I heard of it was some years back. All one could do was walk around. No quests or anything.
    Seems to have come quite far.

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

Indeed. Levitation!

Quote Originally Posted by Kralizec View Post
    Indeed. Levitation!
    That's one of the few things which made Morrowind better than Oblivion. That elf falling from the sky and using his scrolls afterwards were a lot of fun.

Some innovation please! Break the WoW mold. Find a new way to do an MMORPG or don't bother. That first screen shot makes me sick.
    This space intentionally left blank

There are actually some more and they also have an article in german about some leaked information.

Basically it will be an MMORPG like WoW or Everquest II in an Elder Scrolls setting.
    Which means I don't care either.

They do say the quest system will be more sophisticated, you can stumble over quests in the wild etc. but it's not like the SP games in most ways, so...

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    There are actually some more and they also have an article in german about some leaked information.

Basically it will be an MMORPG like WoW or Everquest II in an Elder Scrolls setting.
    Which means I don't care either.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

They do say the quest system will be more sophisticated, you can stumble over quests in the wild etc. but it's not like the SP games in most ways, so...
    Eeeh.. There's already MMOs that do this. TOR did this with bonus quests, you walk into an area and you get a special quest to go along with what you're already doing. WAR did them with public quests. Same thing as TOR except usually the quest is its own thing and not tied to anything else you're doing. GW2 is doing something very similiar. If they want to innovate they will need to try a lot harder than that, i'm afraid.

Ha ha ha, I haven't seen that horse in ages!

Senior Member Senior Member Graphic's Avatar

This has no reason to exist. All they should do is add 2-4 player co-op to Skyrim or future real TES games.

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

How does a teaser trailer manage to make me think that a game will be even worse?
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Quote Originally Posted by CountArach View Post
    How does a teaser trailer manage to make me think that a game will be even worse?
    Maybe because that thing is as generic as it can be. It tells absolutely nothing about the game and gets the Orc female all wrong.