Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Traveling in Europe - What to see?

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Traveling in Europe - What to see?

So I'm traveling in Europe for three weeks in August, starting, likely, in Dublin.

I plan on traveling around to various countries and seeing the sites in places like Paris, Barcelona, Oslo, Copenhagen, Berlin, Prague.

If you could share general tips on traveling, or a spectacular city to visit, that'd be great.

Thanks,
    CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

Default Re: Traveling in Europe - What to see?

People. I've never been to Europe but the rule holds true. Talk to the locals and share your drinks. That's the best experience you'll ever have.

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Prague. Go there, spend at least 2 days there, its so amazing. I only spent one day and only saw like a third of the city. But then again, I was there for the Easter Markets, so that was awesome.
    But I heard Vienna is also amazing.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Senior Member Senior Member Ser Clegane's Avatar

Great selection of cities! What will be your mode of traveling? You are covering quite some geography with these places - are you planning to "hop" from city to city via plane or is there also ground travel involved, so that you would not be limited to these cities?

Definietly make sure that with this broad range you also get the opportunity to get lots of typical local food and drinks

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Oslo and copenhagen are really expensive and have little to offer. Do not skip Berlin and Prague at least.

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

Yeah especially Oslo isn't worth it. Prague might easily be the most beautiful of all the bigger cities in Europe, was there a two weeks ago. Budapest, though often forgotten, is also a must visit in my eyes. Barcelona is also a must because of Gaudi (the garden, but especially the Sagrada Familia which is definitely the single most fantastic building in the world).

Quote Originally Posted by Moros View Post
    Yeah especially Oslo isn't worth it.
    Ya there is nothig there. Copenhagen has a saving grace though, Tivoli is by far the coolest atraction-park in the world, it's also the oldest I believe. What other atraction-park is the middle of the city, letting you peek in people's houses when going up in the rollercoasted.

And again, Berlin and Prague. Berlin is the coolest, Prague the prettiest. Do not even think about going to Amsterdam by the way it has become incredibly dull. Avoid it like the plague.
    Last edited by Fragony; 05-10-2012 at 08:54.

Senior Member Senior Member gaelic cowboy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed Rabbit View Post
    So I'm traveling in Europe for three weeks in August, starting, likely, in Dublin.

I plan on traveling around to various countries and seeing the sites in places like Paris, Barcelona, Oslo, Copenhagen, Berlin, Prague.

If you could share general tips on traveling, or a spectacular city to visit, that'd be great.

Thanks,
    CR

I dont have to explain about the pubs CR so I believe we can just assume the partaking or alcoholic libations in Dublins fair city

I cant comment on what many of the links are like as I have only been to Croke Park for the football and the museum and I did the tour there too.
    I have also been to the National Museum of Ireland (a while back though) and of course I was also on the Guinness and the Jameson tours.

Here is a list of events in Dublin from 1st Aug to 31 Aug on the Visit Dublin website

The Phoenix Park 1752 acres in a capital free to the public with herds of deer unfortunately for US visitors it will be frowned upon to bring a hunting rifle as the President lives in the Phoenix park, you can vist the Presidents house to but only on a saturday.

The James Joyce Centre- Walking Tours

National Museum of Ireland (has one of the largest collections of gold in Europe)

Dublin Writers Museum

Dublin Castle Visitor Facilities
    includes the famous Chester Beatty Library all sorts of rare books never been though

Croke Park been on the tour myself and naturally been at matches loads of times.

The GPO

1916 rebellion walking tour apparently it's very popular never been myself.

Kilmainham Jail 1916 executions and the place of imprisonment for various Irish people throughout history.

The Old Library and the Book of Kells Exhibition Trinity College

Christ Church Cathedral dublin

St Patricks Cathedral

Walking tours and pub crawls of Dublin

Dublin has beeches not many capitials have them

The Guinness Storehouse tour

Jameson Distillery tour

Viking Splash tour/ never been on it but seen the amphibious truck driving around the city loads of times.

To be honest the city is so small and so old I cant think of all the stuff you can do and I am sure to leave something out plus I cant account for your own taste either.

The one thing your going to notice about Dublin is that there are only a few places in the city where you will require taxi's or public transport. Also it's probably one of the best preserved cities for Georgian architecture cos it didnt get bombed in WW2.

If you do come here and are willing to venture outside the city then pm me an I can let you know about other stuff.

In short there is a ton of stuff to do in Ireland but we tend to sell ourselves a bit short on the cultural side of things it's like tourist and native alike play up the drink related activities. Beware prices in dublin apply the usual holiday rules like avoiding hotel bars and obvious tourist traps that sort of thing.

Top 10 lunch options in Dublin city centre Eating out can be a bit tricky during the day till you realise that the bars do carvery lunches, basically take a chance and go with the flow thats what Dublin is all about.

There is no structured holiday in Ireland and there is only one golden rule and that is always remember the Caic is the most important thing to have. (it is however the hardest concept to explain to the visitor)

My big piece of advice is to organise a trip to a small intimate pub for a traditional music session. If you can play an instrument middling well then you can join in or sing a song as long as it's an open session and not a touristy concert. I was told by my cousin that Devitts on a friday night is a good place to start he plays traditional music himself.

Last edited by gaelic cowboy; 05-10-2012 at 15:44.
    They slew him with poison afaid to meet him with the steel
    a gallant son of eireann was Owen Roe o'Neill.

Internet is a bad place for info Gaelic Cowboy

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

the Queen
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    the Queen
    I didn't know you lived in Europe Strike.

@OP: I can second that Budapest is an absolutely beautiful city (esp if you get a tour of the Parliament building).
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    the Queen
    She still owes me $20. I'll give 20% collection fee.

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Down with dried flowers!

Member thankful for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by gaelic cowboy View Post
    I dont have to explain about the pubs CR so I believe we can just assume the partaking or alcoholic libations in Dublins fair city

I cant comment on what many of the links are like as I have only been to Croke Park for the football and the museum and I did the tour there too. K
    I have also been to the National Museum of Ireland (a while back though) and of course I was also on the Guinness and the Jameson tours.

Here is a list of events in Dublin from 1st Aug to 31 Aug on the Visit Dublin website

The Phoenix Park 1752 acres in a capital free to the public with herds of deer unfortunately for US visitors it will be frowned upon to bring a hunting rifle as the President lives in the Phoenix park, you can vist the Presidents house to but only on a saturday.

The James Joyce Centre- Walking Tours

National Museum of Ireland (has one of the largest collections of gold in Europe)

Dublin Writers Museum

Dublin Castle Visitor Facilities
    includes the famous Chester Beatty Library all sorts of rare books never been though

Croke Park been on the tour myself and naturally been at matches loads of times.

The GPO

1916 rebellion walking tour apparently it's very popular never been myself.

Kilmainham Jail 1916 executions and the place of imprisonment for various Irish people throughout history.

The Old Library and the Book of Kells Exhibition Trinity College

Christ Church Cathedral dublin

St Patricks Cathedral

Walking tours and pub crawls of Dublin

Dublin has beeches not many capitials have them

The Guinness Storehouse tour

Jameson Distillery tour

Viking Splash tour/ never been on it but seen the amphibious truck driving around the city loads of times.

To be honest the city is so small and so old I cant think of all the stuff you can do and I am sure to leave something out plus I cant account for your own taste either.

The one thing your going to notice about Dublin is that there are only a few places in the city where you will require taxi's or public transport. Also it's probably one of the best preserved cities for Georgian architecture cos it didnt get bombed in WW2.

If you do come here and are willing to venture outside the city then pm me an I can let you know about other stuff.

In short there is a ton of stuff to do in Ireland but we tend to sell ourselves a bit short on the cultural side of things it's like tourist and native alike play up the drink related activities. Beware prices in dublin apply the usual holiday rules like avoiding hotel bars and obvious tourist traps that sort of thing.

Top 10 lunch options in Dublin city centre Eating out can be a bit tricky during the day till you realise that the bars do carvery lunches, basically take a chance and go with the flow thats what Dublin is all about.

There is no structured holiday in Ireland and there is only one golden rule and that is always remember the Caic is the most important thing to have. (it is however the hardest concept to explain to the visitor)

My big piece of advice is to organise a trip to a small intimate pub for a traditional music session. If you can play an instrument middling well then you can join in or sing a song as long as it's an open session and not a touristy concert. I was told by my cousin that Devitts on a friday night is a good place to start he plays traditional music himself.

What GC fails to mention is that Dublin is reigned by drunken idiots when you are still enjoying your coffee. Skip it or get stabbed beaten raped etc

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    What GC fails to mention is that Dublin is reigned by drunken idiots when you are still enjoying your coffee. Skip it or get stabbed beaten raped etc

Seriously Frag what clown goes to Dublin for the coffee I suppose you went into Temple Bar ye big eejit.

Seriously Frag what clown goes to Dublin for the coffee I suppose you went into Temple Bar ye big eejit.
    Agreed. All coffee served in Dublin should be the kind that's brewed with beer.

Down with dried flowers!

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Spend a day in London and Paris, then get out - if you can get the Eurostary from London to Paris you will massively cut the journey time. If you have the time spend a few quiet days in Oxford of Cambridge, the University Colleges survived the War and the cities are now the best preserved medieval/Renaissance cities in England. The Colleges themselves are extraordinary, Kings Cambridge in particular is something worth seeing just from the outside. Most of the Colleges do public tours as well.

London is huge, there's no way to do even half of it in a day but you don't want to spend more than that in the place, it's filthy. It's been a few years since I went to Paris, but the birds there also all appear to have diarrear.

Rome, of God, I could spend a month there and not get bored - though I understand some of the more modern Public buildings have suffred a bit in recent years.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

We just do things differentily here

Blog Entries

Thanks to everyone for the tips, especially gaelic cowboy.

We're planning on visiting County Mayo in Ireland as well. it looks like we'll have a backpack and suit of luggage apiece - I've never been on this sort of traveling around vacation before, so any tips on useful stuff to have handy?

Thanks again,
    CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

We're planning on visiting County Mayo in Ireland as well. it looks like we'll have a backpack and suit of luggage apiece - I've never been on this sort of traveling around vacation before, so any tips on useful stuff to have handy?

Thanks again,
    CR

Take a plug, as in bath plug. You can get these tapered ones that should fit most plug holes, also a surge protector and adaptors.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Thanks again,
    CR
    Excellant choice on Mayo if I do say so myself I take it you prob visitng somewhere like Westport or do you have relations here.

The Museum of Country Life County Mayo

It's part of the National Museum of Ireland where it hosts the collection of rural artifacts and sometimes includes demonstrations of various handicrafts etc etc.

http://www.croagh-patrick.com/visito.../holy-mountain

The River Moy indulge the guys back home in tales of the one that got away

Guirys Bar then you can kick back later on and tell me all about it over a pint in my local
    Last edited by gaelic cowboy; 05-14-2012 at 10:54.

Blog Entries

Excellant choice on Mayo if I do say so myself I take it you prob visitng somewhere like Westport or do you have relations here.

The Museum of Country Life County Mayo

It's part of the National Museum of Ireland where it hosts the collection of rural artifacts and sometimes includes demonstrations of various handicrafts etc etc.

http://www.croagh-patrick.com/visito.../holy-mountain

The River Moy indulge the guys back home in tales of the one that got away

Guirys Bar then you can kick back later on and tell me all about it over a pint in my local

Well, we had some ancestors that came from there, but no relations we know of now-a-days. We have no plans on where to go in County Mayo yet, though Westport seems like a nice place to visit.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

smell the glove Senior Member Major Robert Dump's Avatar

Hungary.

The dollar is overly leveraged in the exchange rate. World class hotels and meals for a fraction of the cost. Cheap booze. Budapest is a city of perversion. Many of the women there are morally flexible. Anyone can get laid, even you.
    Baby Quit Your Cryin' Put Your Clown Britches On!!!

Wherever my blade takes me or to school, it sorta depends

Not european obviously but i've spent a fair bit of time in Europe.

Personally, as a disclaimer since I don't know what your like but I hate tourism type stuff. My dream vacation is going somewhere like Sicily and just renting a house in a village for a few weeks and just enjoying life. However, you should try to see someof the big stuff I suppose. PVC is completely correct don't linger in Paris or London, dirty places and really old so its a different kind of dirt than here in the States.

I recommend you try to get down to Southern Europe. Those Northerners are overrated. Probably the most underrated location to tour is Croatia, go to the Dalmatian coast. Plenty of history, beautiful women, and absolutely gorgeous scenery. I spent some time in Russia and its nice, though different.

Prague is GODLY, you have to go there. I like light beer.... but still amazing city. Haven't been to Scandinavia but I bet its lush in the Summer. For Ireland just try to do local stuff the Irish themselves are the best part of the country. When I went to Scotland with my father we stayed with one of his NATO buddies in the area and then a lodge. Flyfishing and bird hunting, my father was in heaven. So if you like either of those activities Scotland is prime territory, the castles are impressive as well.

I rambled a bit, my apologies.

I second Prague.

Screw Paris and Berlin

Quote Originally Posted by Major Robert Dump View Post
    I second Prague.

Screw Paris and Berlin
    Screw Berlin? Must have missed the eastern part. I also second Prague by the way

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    Screw Berlin? Must have missed the eastern part. I also second Prague by the way
    No, I just grew up in a neighborhood of Germans, so I figured there's nothing for me to see

I will say for germany that alot of army guys are stationed there and enjoy it immensely.

No, I just grew up in a neighborhood of Germans, so I figured there's nothing for me to see
    It is without question the coolest city on earth. The western part is all organised like you would expect from Germans, it's kinda boring, but in the old eastblock parts it's bursting with life.

We all have a different definition of cool. For me the "coolest city" award is Cebu.

My point is that access to Berlin comes and goes. I prefer less touristy places, and trips to Berlin are a dime a dozen, just like Paris, London, Tokyo etc. I will hit Berlin eventually, I am just in no rush.

@Centurion -- yes, tell me about it. I know a lot who ETS'd and never came back

We all have a different definition of cool. For me the "coolest city" award is Cebu.

My point is that access to Berlin comes and goes. I prefer less touristy places, and trips to Berlin are a dime a dozen, just like Paris, London, Tokyo etc. I will hit Berlin eventually, I am just in no rush.

@Centurion -- yes, tell me about it. I know a lot who ETS'd and never came back
    my buddy is black and he went there and he said it was like the pick of the litter.... like a tall guy in asia.

QFT

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

Berlin is somewhat different to Paris and Londen though. It has that 'trendy artsy night-life culture' and it's highlight is the Tacheles and much more. It has it's charms in having so different districts, not just East and West. And the bars don't close at one or two pm like in most places. Thank god that isn't case over here either.

Member thankful for this post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast