Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Traveling in Europe - What to see?

Default Re: Traveling in Europe - What to see?

Don't go anywhere near Salford.
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

I recommend Berlin and Budapest.

About the latter: lots of historical stuff to be seen, as is to be expected of the (twin) capital of the Austro-Hungarian empire. There's even a huge pre-modern fort on a hill overlooking the city, which is nice enough in itself, but it actually still has bullet holes and other visible damage from the time the Germans used it to resist the Red Army. There's also a smallish museum about the regional KGB/Stasi-like agency and their practices that I meant to visit in the two times I was there but never got around to it. It's also a den of iniquity as MRD notes.

Berlin speaks for itself. But actually I think that visiting large cities as these is generally not worth it unless you plan to spend at least 2-3 days there.

smell the glove Senior Member Major Robert Dump's Avatar

Iniquity. I like that term. I pick my vacation spots based on very important criteria. I might visit Belgrade for much the same reasons, although I hear it has calmed down a bit since Bill Clinton bombed them to death.

Actually, never been to Budapest, almost went there on my january vacation but ended up hitting New Zealand and the Philippines.

CR, you are going as a group, yes? Will you split up at any point, or is this something where you will all be together all the time? Will the group have any flexibility if you opt for a different COA? Also, are they all men?
    Baby Quit Your Cryin' Put Your Clown Britches On!!!

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Major Robert Dump View Post
    We all have a different definition of cool. For me the "coolest city" award is Cebu.

My point is that access to Berlin comes and goes. I prefer less touristy places, and trips to Berlin are a dime a dozen, just like Paris, London, Tokyo etc. I will hit Berlin eventually, I am just in no rush.

@Centurion -- yes, tell me about it. I know a lot who ETS'd and never came back
    Skip the touristy parts. The roaring twenties relive in the area's where you least expect it.

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

Iniquity. I like that term. I pick my vacation spots based on very important criteria.
    Are you interested in twins? One of them isn't actually in the trade anymore, but I read that she still helps out her sister when a client asks for it.

Member thankful for this post:

Re: Traveling in Europe - What to see?

Me.

At least that seem to be the main attraction for the oversea girls I meet.

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Iniquity. I like that term. I pick my vacation spots based on very important criteria. I might visit Belgrade for much the same reasons, although I hear it has calmed down a bit since Bill Clinton bombed them to death.

Actually, never been to Budapest, almost went there on my january vacation but ended up hitting New Zealand and the Philippines.

CR, you are going as a group, yes? Will you split up at any point, or is this something where you will all be together all the time? Will the group have any flexibility if you opt for a different COA? Also, are they all men?
    I'm going with my brother; we plan on traveling together the whole time, and we're not part of any tour schedule.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Blog Entries

So it looks like we'll be hitting Ireland (Dublin and County Mayo), then Budapest, then Prague, then Lithuania, then Germany.

Thanks again for all the help you guys!

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Be safe, and have fun. Take pictures!
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

Senior Member Senior Member gaelic cowboy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed Rabbit View Post
    So it looks like we'll be hitting Ireland (Dublin and County Mayo), then Budapest, then Prague, then Lithuania, then Germany.

Thanks again for all the help you guys!

CR

You cannot leave Mayo without visiting Matt Molloys Pub let me know when and where and I can advise a good night for trad music.
    They slew him with poison afaid to meet him with the steel
    a gallant son of eireann was Owen Roe o'Neill.

Internet is a bad place for info Gaelic Cowboy

Krakow is a good place to have a beer, actually do a pub-tour through entire Kazimierz district to see all the weird pubs they have there!

Also Prague, for cheap bear and amazing architecture.

Budapest, for the thermal baths and the castle mountain. After traveling to over 200 cities in my life, Budapest is still my favorite. Beware of the scam where they give you food you didn't order and charge ridiculous prices for it!

Pamplona, if you go during 6th to 14th July, to see the running of the bulls, or to take part.

Rome or Florence, for Baroque and Renaissance culture.

Anywhere in Spain for good parties and easy casual meeting other people.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gaelic cowboy View Post
    You cannot leave Mayo without visiting Matt Molloys Pub let me know when and where and I can advise a good night for trad music.
    I'm arriving in Dublin this Saturday the 4th and leaving Ireland on the 8th to go to budapest.

What's the best way to travel across ireland?

Thanks again!
    CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

I'm arriving in Dublin this Saturday the 4th and leaving Ireland on the 8th to go to budapest.

What's the best way to travel across ireland?

Thanks again!

CR
    What day are you going to Mayo the train goes from Dublin to Westport direct if you dont fancy driving.

This monday is a bank holiday so be prepared for a busy weekend in Dublin
    Last edited by gaelic cowboy; 08-02-2012 at 12:45.

Blog Entries

We don't know what day we're going to Mayo, we're winging a lot of the details.

A train ride would be great.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

We don't know what day we're going to Mayo, we're winging a lot of the details.

A train ride would be great.

CR
    I assume you have accom sorted? yes/no Westport can be tricky on busy weekends as this one will be.

but I'm guessing you prob wont go til the start of the week anyway

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gaelic cowboy View Post
    I assume you have accom sorted? yes/no Westport can be tricky on busy weekends as this one will be.

but I'm guessing you prob wont go til the start of the week anyway
    We have a place in Dublin sorted for the first couple nights and we would likely travel out to Westport on Monday at the earliest.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

Really? By train?

I was cautioned against trains in Ireland, but it has been a few years.

We flew into Sligo Airport, and I must say it was a good experience. A lot of fun.

My wife always books accommodations months in advance. If there is a trip in the offing computer access is limited until everything is booked. Lol

I would recommend renting a car for most people. My wife is pathologically risk-adverse ,however.

Our last trip to Ireland we stayed in a cottage in the middle of nowhere in West Cork and a car was the only option. It was something like 12 mi. back on the boreens. She had a melt down. Five years later and she will almost never let me drive with her in the car at home. Of course she insists I drive when we are in another country.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12