Thread: The Rebirth of the Greeks: A Syracuse AAR

Default The Rebirth of the Greeks: A Syracuse AAR

Hello Im going to write this mini AAR before i go back to my Seleucid one. This is KH as Syracuse on H/M. I just went off to a bad start so i mite start writing this tomorrow. I had a shocking game just then were i got all of my FMs and army on the ships but then the Macedonians, Seleucid and a random Pirate fleet attacked my fleet and sunk it killing all my FMs and ending my campaign right there >.<

Default Re: The Rebirth of the Greeks: A Syracuse AAR

Prologue: A desperate Decision
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Akrotatos.png 
Views:	672 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	5579
    Akrotatos, Prince of Sparta, stood at the bow of the ship, watching the high walls of Syracuse come ever closer. What had lead them here he wondered. How could his father agree to this plan? To abandon Sparta? Those untrustworthy Athenians were part of it he thought. Those Rhodians too. He looked back towards the deck where his father Areus was discussing his battle plans with the Athenian statesman Chremonides. It had been several months since he had heard the news. All of Sparta and Athens was to be evacuated and the combined army to sail away to Syracuse. Akrotatos had been in shock. To abandon the ancient city and begin a new life in Siciy alongside these Athenians? The plan sounded ludicrous. Yet here they were, approaching Syracuse where they were to be find a new life, or death beneath its walls. Tomorrow they would land, and the future of all Greeks would rest on the shoulders of 25 000 brave men

The young prince sighed wearily and withdrew to his cabin to rest. Akrotatos would need his all of his strength for the days ahead
    Last edited by seleucid empire; 05-17-2012 at 13:33.

cool

Chapter 1: The City of Archias
    Syracuse in the year 268 BC (click to enlarge)

Name:	Syracuse 268.png 
Views:	697 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	5582
    Akrotatos stopped for a moment to rest. He didnt know where he was going, he just needed a quiet place to think and to get away from the squabbling which was happening in the Ortygia, the fortress of the tyrants. The Athenians and Spartans were squabbling over their areas of jurisdiction again. Even before they had captured Syracuse, they had begun to argue over who would control the city. The Spartans wanted their old Oligarchical government while the Athenians naturally argued for a democracy. In the end it was decided that a council would be formed consisting of the most powerful Athenians and Spartans, including the 5 Spartan ephors and the two Kings. The Council would make the decisions of the alliance. The Athenians got administrative power and the Spartan Kings would be dual commander-in-chiefs of the army. Akrotatos forgot what they were arguing about today.

The siege of the city itself took two long years. The Syracusans refused to engage the Spartans on the field and often launched raids into the Athenian camp. The combined Athenian and Rhodian Navy lead by the seasoned admiral Nikandros destroyed the Syracusan fleet and blockaded the city near the end of the siege. It was in the finals months before the end of the siege that Areus and Akrotatos had received the message. Sparta had fallen. Akrotatos had secretly wept and and wondered if he would ever see his home again. The final battle was a massacre. The hungry and dispirited Syracusans charged out of the city numbering 10 000 and were routed by a counter charge from the Spartans. The city wasn't looted and the Syracusan population peacefully received the Spartans and Athenians. However, the inhabitants of the cities surrounding Syracuse didn't Surrender so the Athenians dispatched 6 000 men to conquer the rest of the cities in Trinakrie. After the cities submitted, Areus established the old system of Helots. The enslaved Greeks from Trinakrie were put to work on the fields to support the army. This move shocked the Athenians who reprimanded the Spartans for enslaving other Greeks. However, Areus and Akrotatos convinced the council that their army needed to be ready and they would need it in the very near future.

"Akrotatos!", a voice distracted the prince from his thoughts. He looked up to see his friend and comrade Kleomonos running towards him
    "What is wrong?" he asked?
    "The King sent me. You are needed in the War council immediately"
    'War council? What had happened now?' he thought. But this news renewed his spirits. He was a Spartan after all. Battle was his call and he knew that if they were at war with someone else, they would at least stop fighting each other. With a new determination, he marched quickly back towards Ortygia
    Last edited by seleucid empire; 05-18-2012 at 08:32.

Chapter 2: A Rock between two Boulders
    The chamber of war was filled completely by the time Akrotatos arrived. The most important men from both Athens and Sparta were all here. Areus looked up as his son arrived and gestured for him to take a seat around the main table. Areus began to speak

"I have called you all here to discuss our invasion of Western Sicily"

The room erupted with cries of protest, panic and confusion. Akrotatos was taken aback. They had only just conquered Trinakrie and he also recalled that Western Sicily was in the hands of the powerful Carthaginian Empire. Areus called for silence.

"I do realize most of you will be uncomfortable with this decision as this is clearly an act of war against Carthage"
    "Why must we declare war on them?" asked a Athenian politician

It was not Areus but Chremonides who answered, "The Greeks in Sicily and the Carthaginians have always been at war."
    "Thats no reason to begin one now, when we havent even consolidated our rule over Trinakrie yet" replied the other Athenian
    "No it isnt" Chremonides calmly replied," but that doesnt mean war wont come to us. Let me explain further. As some of you may know, we have recently received envoys from two of the most powerful states in the Western Mediterranean, Carthage and Rome. Now these empires are officially allies. However, recently the Romans have won the war against Pyhrrus and the Carthaginians have agreed to a peace treaty with the Numudians. Conflict between these two empires is inevitable. Their battleground will be Sicily."

The room became deathly silent

Chremonides continued, "Both of these empires sent a proposal for trade rights and more importantly, a military alliance. What they really want is as a buffer against the other empire. We stand right between the Carthaginians and the Romans. If they go to war, we will have to declare our allegiance to one side. We cant remain neutral or they will both turn on us. And if we support either party and we lose then we lose our independence. Similarly, if the empire we support wins then they will own 2/3rds of Sicily and eventually we will become but a vassal. So what we really need to do is prevent the two empires from going to war. To do this, we must rid the Carthaginian presence in Sicily and prevent a clash on the island. Now i know that means a direct confrontation with Carthage, however their presence in Sicily is weak right now, their garrisons have been shipped back to Africa and Iberia to face the barbarian incursions. I believe if we take Lilybaeum, they will not be able to muster a counterattack in Sicily before we build our defenses up."

Akrotatos could see that Chremonides' speech had swayed most in the room. The only question left was who would lead to the expedition. A question which Areus was quick to answer.
    "My son Akrotatos should lead the force"

Akrotatos felt every gaze in the room fall on him
    The Athenian who spoke earlier replied,"What makes you think this 'boy' has the capabilities to lead the army, and against such a powerful enemy aswell?"

"Well, Im sure you've heard of the late Pyhrrus of Epiros? The Greatest Greek general of our time? And im sure you heard he came to Sparta, with 20 000 men, intent on taking the city while i was campaigning in Crete. My son lead the defense in my stead. Outnumbered 10 to 1 he held off Pyhrrus until I returned. Now who else among you can claim to have bested Pyhrrus?"

There were no further objections. The council was dismissed and Akrotatos pondered his father's decision. Was he ready to lead the Greeks to glorious victory or would he fail and cause the destruction of his people?
    'Stop worrying" he said to himself,"your acting like an Athenian"
    Last edited by seleucid empire; 05-18-2012 at 11:11.

Chapter 3: The Road to Lilybaeum
    The long column of men marched slowly. From the distance it looked like a long winding snake. It was too disorganized thought Akrotatos. If the Carthaginians set up an ambush they would be completely destroyed. The Greek army was only 3 days away from the Greek-Carthaginian border and Akrotatos had sent his friend Kleomonos and a few Spartiates ahead to scout for any Carthaginian forces. He turned to another comrade Nikieus and commanded, "Issue the order, we make camp here tonight and make sure the Athenians and Spartans are separated, i don't want anymore brawls happening"

Akrotatos silently cursed Doros Attikos. While Akrotatos was preparing the Spartans to march, Chremonides had convinced the council to send the Athenian forces in the expedition as well with his son Doros as their leader. Both Areus and Akrotatos knew that the Athenian army was only there to make sure the Spartans shared control of the city once it was conquered. However the Athenians did send a sizable force with 800 elite hoplites under Doros as well as 1 600 peltasts and 1 600 well armed hoplites. Akrotatos would make sure they were put to good use.

Doros Attikos

Name:	road to lily and doros.png 
Views:	433 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	5590
    In the distance he saw four horsemen approaching their position. Kleomonos had finally returned
    "What news", asked Akrotatos when his friend had dismounted
    "There were no forces along the road so we socuted all the way to Lilybaeum itself. The city has only a garrison of 6 000 men but the Carthaginians are shipping more men every day. Maybe they are aware of our plan to surprise them."

Akrotatos thought for a moment. Then he ordered the camp preparations to stop and to begin marching again. There was enough light for a few more hours of marching...

Chapter 4: The Trap
    As the two Carthaginian armies marched ever closer, he wondered how he could have been so stupid. The Carthaginians had hidden 14 000 men to the north of Lilybeaum and now pounced on the Greek army. The Carthaginians had known all along. Akrotatos now found himself facing two armies with a combined total of 19 000 men. He only had 13 000 himself (including the Athenians) and for the first time ever he was glad the Athenians were here
    The Battle of Lilybaeum (Click to enlarge)

Name:	battle of lil.png 
Views:	509 
Size:	922.1 KB 
ID:	5591
    He knew Hamalcar the governor of Sicily had 1 200 Elite heavy cavalry of the Sacred band with him and there were 1 000 professional Libyan cavalry with the reinforcing army. He also knew the Majority of the Carthaginian army was armed like the Theurophi of the Makedonians.
    The battle began with the Cretan archers and helot slingers firing on the approaching Carthaginians. These men caused horrendous casualties before the main Carthaginian line met that the Greeks. Akrotatos and his Spartan bodyguard quickly routed their opponents and wheeled around to help Doros. To his surprise, Doros was fighting like a true warrior and holding his own. Akrotatos thought that in another life he would have been a good Spartan. Akrotatos' Spartans came behind the enemy and in a pincer movement, destroyed the Iberian mercenaries of the Carthaginian army. The entire force began to rout and the Greeks gave chase. What worried Akrotatos was that the Sacred band of Hamalcar had not been sighted yet. WHat were they up to?

The Greeks chased the Carthaginians to the gates of the city where a veteran unit of Carthaginian spear-men were surrounded. Then, Hamalcar finally showed himself. He charged out from a different gate and into the flanks of the Greek army. The battle was on the balance now and Akrotatos turned his own bodyguards to face the threat. In the heat of battle, he fought his way into the ranks of the Sacred band cavalry with Kleomonos and Nikieus by his side until he finally found his target. He threw his spear as if it was a javelin and it embedded itself right into Hamalcar's chest. This feat of strength from Akrotatos and the death of their commander caused the Carthaginians to flee to the centre of the city with the Greeks at their heels. The remaining Garrison surrendered and Akrotatos was hailed as a hero. Many in the army compared him to Achilles himself. Other said his strength was due to his ancestral connection to Hercules.

Name:	heroic battle of lily.png 
Views:	377 
Size:	1,009.4 KB 
ID:	5592
    Akrotatos walked through the burning city. In one alley he saw some Athenian soldiers in the process of raping a young girl. Akrotatos was an honorable man. He hated seeing the deaths or mistreatment innocents even though it was a normal part of war. He ordered then to stop and reprimanded the soldiers. He took the girl to the palace of Lilybaeum and put her to work as a kitchen slave. Then he smiled and thought to himself that this was the first good act he had done since he arrived at Sicily. He decided to walk back to the camp. He didnt want to spend any more time in this city. A new government was needed but Doros could take care of that.
    Last edited by seleucid empire; 05-19-2012 at 13:23.

Chapter 5: A Risky Alliance
    The Situation at Taras and Mikon Delphos(click to enlarge)

Name:	Mikon Delphos.png 
Views:	439 
Size:	1.73 MB 
ID:	5593
    Mikron Delphos waited patiently for his host. It had been a day and a half since he had arrived and delivered his message the leaders of Taras: The Athenian-Spartan alliance wished to seek an alliance with Taras. Mikon was eager to get out of the city. When he arrived he had heard of a Roman legion approaching Taras and he wanted to get a reply before the legion surrounded the city. Finally a messenger arrived summoning Mikon the the council chambers.

"I hope your accommodations were suitable and that you had good rest."
    "Yes they were very suitable. Thank you. But i am eager to be on my way. Do you have an answer for us?"
    "Before we agree, let me remind you that there is a Roman legion approaching Taras right now. Will you come and aid us immediately if we agree and put yourselves at risk of war with Rome?"
    "Yes of course we would" Mikron answered uncomfortably, unsure whether he was lying or not
    "Then we agree. This alliance is our last hope against the Romans. We asked Pyhrrus to help us but he abandoned us. If you abandon us aswell, then Taras is sure to fall."
    "Our alliance is for all Greeks. Trust that we will not break it," said Mikron
    The alliance was sealed and Mikron left the city that same afternoon. He caught a ship and arrived at Messena. There he would stay for the night before returning to Syracuse. He booked a room a the local inn and decided to have an early night.

Something woke him up in the middle of the night. A faint creaking noise told him he wasn't alone in the room. Mikron slowly reached for his dagger
    "There is no need for that", someone in the darkness spoke.
    "Who's there?"
    "My name is Perickles. I heard that a representative of the Koinon Helleon had arrived in Messana. I am eager to talk to him. Are you this man?"
    "Yes..."
    "Then I have very important news to tell you. And you must leave Messana tonight"
    "What news?"
    "The council of Messana has made a deal with Carthage. They will allow the Carthaginians to launch an invasion of Syracuse from Messana in hopes of surprising your alliance from the north. If this happens then Sicily will be under Carthaginian control and Messana will become a vassal to those punic barbarians. You must go to your city. Tell your leaders to dispatch a force and attack Messana. If you liberate our city, we will gladly join your federation of free Greeks. Now go, the council has already sent assassins after you. If you do not leave here by tomorrow you will be dead."
    'Ok but how do you know this?"
    "Because I am on the council. There are a few of us who don't agree with the plan. You must help us liberate Messana from old fools and banish the Carthaginians completely from this island. I will go now, remember what I have told you for it is very important."
    Then Perickles disappeared. Mikron went down to the stables and rode out of the city before dawn, shaken at this new revelation

Chapter 6: Old Enemies, New Allies
    Akrotatos was unhappy. No one ever told him anything he thought. In the middle of drilling his troops, a message had arrived for him. Short and vague, it only said:
    Leave army at Lilybaeum, return to Syracuse to lead liberation of Messana

So they were going to attack Messana? And if he was to leave the army at Lilybaeum then what army would he use to attack Messana? Nonetheless he followed the instructions and left Lilybaeum with only his Spartans numbering 1 000 men. As he neared Syracuse he saw a spectacular sight in front of the city gates. A camp large enough for 10 000 men was built near the city walls and 1 000 heavily armed cavalry with Armour shining like the sun were drilling on the fields. Areus rode out to greet Akrotatos.
    'Hello son, I apologize for summoning you on such short notice but we have a crisis on our hands. Mikron returned from Messana with news that the Messanians were going to allow Carthage military access so they could attack us from the north. You must lead this army immediately to liberate Messana from the corrupt council."
    "Father where did this army come from?"
    "These men are Syracusan hoplites who have sworn to fight for the Greek League. The noble families of Syracuse have also contributed 1 000 elite Hippeis Xystophoroi for our cause. A lot of things have changed since you left my son. We have admitted Syracusans onto the council as well as the Rhodians and some Cretans. After all this federation is for all Greeks"

Areus spent the rest of the afternoon introducing Akrotatos to the various captains of the army. In two weeks time, the army of the Greeks would march against Messana
    Syracusan Hoplites (click to enlarge)

Name:	Syracuse hoplites.png 
Views:	781 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	5599
    Syracusan Hippeis Xystophoroi

Name:	Syracusan Xystophoroi.png 
Views:	474 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	5600
    Last edited by seleucid empire; 05-21-2012 at 10:50.

Chapter 7: Unification
    Battle of Messana (click to enlarge)
    Attachment 5601
    Akrotatos found himself outnumbered once again. The lead Councillor of Messana, Ennychos had gathered 12 500 men to defend the city against Akrotatos' 10 000. Worse, Akrotatos was attacking the walled city. However, Akrotatos had the better soldiers. The Syracusans had been fighting numerous enemies for centuries and were some of the best hoplites in the world. Ennychos could only muster around 3 000 professional hoplites while the rest were levies. The battle was straightforward. The ram reached the walls and breached it before Akrotato's Spartans poured in. The enemy general lead a foolish charge against the Spartans with his cavalry and was one of the first to fall. Without instructions, the Messana soldiers decided to block the roads with hoplite battalions and an intense slogging match began which lasted for days. Eventually every last soldier was killed at the cost of 3 000 of Akrotato's men. Messana had been taken and the Koinon Helleon hosted a celebration for the unification of Sicily. Akrotatos was once again hailed as a hero. But the young prince's was troubled. They had unified Sicily and permanently rid themselves of the Carthaginians, but did his actions just pave the way to conflict with an even more dangerous enemy?
    Attachment 5602
    Last edited by seleucid empire; 05-22-2012 at 06:08.

Chapter 8" Forgotten Allies

The Taratine diplomat stormed into the hall and shouted, "Have you bastards forgotten our treaty?, you were to send troops to help defend us!!! Taras will fall and the Romans will become unstoppable while you fight our Greek brothers in Messana!"

"ENOUGH!" shouted Areus,"We received information from Perickles of the Messanan council that they were plotting alongside Carthage to retake Siciy!"
    "You fools, I have been to Messana many times, there is no council member named Perickles! The man who sold you that information was a Greek man under the employ of the Romans! His job was to keep you busy in Sicily while they besieged our city!"

The entire council was shocked into silence

"So we have been tricked? Very well, we will set sail as soon as Akrotatos returns. I swear to you fellow greek, that if we cannot save Messana, we will sure as hell retake it!"
    Last edited by seleucid empire; 06-04-2012 at 01:28.

Member thankful for this post:

Moros 

Member Member stratigos vasilios's Avatar

Good stuff SE, a great read.
    We love you because you died and resurrected to save us...
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    We love you Goku!

Ah unfortunately, An assasin killed Akrotatos and I saved without noticing since he wasnt faction leader yet. I was planning on making this an aar of his life with him eventually retaking Sparte but now he is dead i have lost all motivation. Damn those Roman superassasins

I suppose I could make it a life of Doros attikos instead but i really didnt develop him enough in the beginning