Thread: STW haiku

Default STW haiku

I thought it would be fun to have a thread of haiku poems, each about a unit or agent or other aspect of STW. To get the ball rolling, I have done one on No dachi.

The haiku rules I have followed are as follows:

1: 3 sections, the first of 5 syllables, the second of 7, and the third of 5.

2: One section should end with a kireji. That is a word which somehow connects (and invites the reader to compare) what goes before it with what goes after. Alternately, the kireji can provide a dignified ending to the third section.

Those are the two rules I used, but neither do they cover all aspects of haiku, nor are they universally true. Others may want to interpret the haiku tradition differently, and follow different rules.

So here goes:

No Dachi, quite bold.

Strong attack, a fast flanker.

Alas few survive.

I used flanker as my kireji. An infantry flanker in STW/MTW implies strong attack and weak defense/armor. Thus the word flanker links the strengths of the unit already mentioned (morale and attack) to the weakness (high casualties.)
    In those simple times there was a great wonder and mystery in life. Man walked in fear and solemnity, with Heaven very close above his head, and Hell below his very feet. God's visible hand was everywhere, in the rainbow and the comet, in the thunder and the wind. The Devil too raged openly upon the earth; he skulked behind the hedge-rows in the gloaming; he laughed loudly in the night-time; he clawed the dying sinner, pounced on the unbaptized babe, and twisted the limbs of the epileptic. A foul fiend slunk ever by a man's side and whispered villainies in his ear, while above him there hovered an angel of grace . . .

Arthur Conan Doyle

Default Re: STW haiku

OK. I could not resist another.

Whoa! Warrior Monks!

What a concept. Sweep the floor!

I fear an exploit.

I cheated a bit there. I used the whole phrase "Sweep the floor" as a kireji instead of just one word. It links the awesomeness of having an uber unit with the problem that it can make things too easy.
    In those simple times there was a great wonder and mystery in life. Man walked in fear and solemnity, with Heaven very close above his head, and Hell below his very feet. God's visible hand was everywhere, in the rainbow and the comet, in the thunder and the wind. The Devil too raged openly upon the earth; he skulked behind the hedge-rows in the gloaming; he laughed loudly in the night-time; he clawed the dying sinner, pounced on the unbaptized babe, and twisted the limbs of the epileptic. A foul fiend slunk ever by a man's side and whispered villainies in his ear, while above him there hovered an angel of grace . . .

Arthur Conan Doyle

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

Beautiful Geisha.
    Whack! Zing! Ouch! Daimyo dead!
    Nobody stops her.
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

Nice one Andres.

Arthur Conan Doyle

Blue Eyed Samurai Senior Member Wishazu's Avatar

Noble Horse Archer
    Striking Swiftly From Afar
    Thunder And Lightning
    "Wishazu does his usual hero thing and slices all the zombies to death, wiping out yet another horde." - Askthepizzaguy, Resident Evil: Dark Falls

"Move not unless you see an advantage; use not your troops unless there is something to be gained; fight not unless the position is critical"
    Sun Tzu the Art of War

Blue eyes for our samurai
    Red blood for his sword
    Your ronin days are over
    For your home is now the Org
    By Gregoshi

Bronze, silver and gold,
    are actually iron;
    when making armour.