Thread: naval battles

Default naval battles

...two copper plated 16 guns each bracket a wood hull 11 gun. The enemy starts a fire asap on one while constant bomardment costs him just one gun and no appreciable damage. Fire starts on the other. I`m trying to figure out why my ships didnt do any damage. Didnt see anything for him about incendiaries so dont know why they were so effective. Bad thing is, maybe as in rl, you work so hard to get new toys that you think will be a great edge, only to see them melt away....I love the save button.

Default Re: naval battles

To be honest I think they just get bonuses in naval battles. I haven't been playing FotS long enough to get to know the ship names yet but I've had battles where I've had 2 ships with 16 guns against one enemy ship with 16 guns and the enemy has knocked out 2 of my guns on the first volley, but after a minute of bombardment against him by 2 of my ships and he hasn't lost a single gun. This is normal difficulty. Lots of battles go the same way. I usually win but they definitely get some bonus to the chance of knocking out your ships' guns.
    EBII has finally released. All hail the EBII team!

A Livonian Rebel Member Slaists's Avatar

Use controlled broadsides (not the "first person view") and you'll be able to hit the enemy ships before they even start shooting. This works even for round-shots. If you have a ship just outside the gun range, pan your camera to the enemy ship before you release your broadside. After the broadside is released, you'll see your shots going into the water before they reach the enemy ship, but the shots will continue under water and hit the hull...

Quote Originally Posted by Slaists View Post
    Use controlled broadsides (not the "first person view") and you'll be able to hit the enemy ships before they even start shooting. This works even for round-shots. If you have a ship just outside the gun range, pan your camera to the enemy ship before you release your broadside. After the broadside is released, you'll see your shots going into the water before they reach the enemy ship, but the shots will continue under water and hit the hull...
    This is extremely helpful. I've seen so many times that I opened fire from out of range, and after 8-10 ten volleys the enemy ship sunk without visible damage or fire, because volleys hit the underwater hull.

But I still strongly believe that the naval battles are imbalanced. (Favouring the player, suprisingly) I get hit like 10 times and get no casualties, but I kill few men on my every volley. I don't know how but it is so hard to lose a naval battle.

Get explosive shot and just use nothing else.

Explosive shot is nice but the range sucks compared to solid...

Best!