Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Europa Barbarorum II Website

Uergobretos Senior Member Brennus's Avatar

Default The Europa Barbarorum II Website

Hello everyone! Hope all is well!

Ok as I lack Moderator Privileges I can't make this thread a sticky, so I will just have to hope that you guys show enough interest to keep this thread buoyant.

If you like you can consider this my first official EBII task, well the first one that you guys get to read before the release.

The issue of the EBII website was raised some time ago, however as the thread didn't really get anywhere I have decided to start a new one discussing the issue (forgive me masters!).

This is one of the opportunities where you, the fans, get to play a part in the development of EBII. So please let us know what you think!

What we want is for you to share your thoughts on what should be included. For example the EB website has faction and unit info as well as downloadable content for fans. So if you would like to see more of the same please say. If you have ideas on what else could be included let us know (be realistic though, an annual EBII lottery where you get to win dinner with Moros, for example, is not a realistic idea).

Also how should navigation work? Would you like a format like the EB site or something a bit different?

What we are not really looking for is how the site should look like. Suggestions like these don't really help, we have plenty of talented 2D artists who can figure this out for us.

All suggestions are welcome! So please take the time to share your thoughts!

-Brennus

donated by ARCHIPPOS for being friendly to new people.
    donated by Macilrille for wit.
    donated by stratigos vasilios for starting new and interesting threads
    donated by Tellos Athenaios as a welcome to Campus Martius

COYATOYPIKC Senior Member Flatout Minigame Champion Arjos's Avatar
    Prisoners upon this rock, flying without wings...

Default Re: The Europa Barbarorum II Website

The factions and units info would be much appreciated...
    Maybe a link to the twitter page or its incorporation within the site (like either posting the news there or just a mini screen with twitter)...
    I would love an history of the mod: something like a "making of" or "behind the scenes". This of course only if there's time and manpower to do it...
    One last thing could be a recruitment page or what help is needed, to get even more publicity about it...

As for the format I have no preferences, always liked the current one, but really that should be the artists' choice ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Brennus View Post
    an annual EBII lottery where you get to win dinner with Moros, for example, is not a realistic idea
    Ahahahahahah XD

Thanks for your thoughts. I like the Twitter idea and the recruitment page idea, fairly easy to integrate.

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

People can win a Balgian beer tour with me, but traveling costs aren't included.

Note I'm horrible company when sober.

Quote Originally Posted by Moros View Post
    People can win a Balgian beer tour with me, but traveling costs aren't included.

Note I'm horrible company when sober.
    I am planning to visit Belgium in February with two Irish friends if you are around....

Oh sure always prepared to do a meet up.
    Should have some time around that period as well. (Exams end in January, school usually starts of slowly by half february or something.)

Hello everyone! Hope all is well!

Ok as I lack Moderator Privileges I can't make this thread a sticky, so I will just have to hope that you guys show enough interest to keep this thread buoyant.

If you like you can consider this my first official EBII task, well the first one that you guys get to read before the release.

The issue of the EBII website was raised some time ago, however as the thread didn't really get anywhere I have decided to start a new one discussing the issue (forgive me masters!).

This is one of the opportunities where you, the fans, get to play a part in the development of EBII. So please let us know what you think!

What we want is for you to share your thoughts on what should be included. For example the EB website has faction and unit info as well as downloadable content for fans. So if you would like to see more of the same please say. If you have ideas on what else could be included let us know (be realistic though, an annual EBII lottery where you get to win dinner with Moros, for example, is not a realistic idea).

Also how should navigation work? Would you like a format like the EB site or something a bit different?

What we are not really looking for is how the site should look like. Suggestions like these don't really help, we have plenty of talented 2D artists who can figure this out for us.

All suggestions are welcome! So please take the time to share your thoughts!

-Brennus
    Hi.

I look forward to the site, no matter what the color scheme or the ease of navigation. But I'm a pragmatist (most of the time, anyway). One of my close friends is in informatics and one of the things he (and others in his field) looks at is how user-friendly a site design is before approving it for release. I know this because when his team was researching (and I presume quantifying) this notion of the user-friendliness of a site, I was one of the people he surveyed. The team would link the participant to a prototype design and have them navigate to certain pages and the participant would have to say how he or she was doing this (e.g., "I went to the vertical navbar on the left column and clicked on _____, and proceeded to _____").

One thing to keep in mind, I think, is that "how the site should look like" encompasses notions such as ease of navigation, or user-friendliness more generally. It's part of the package.

Good luck on building the site!

V
    EB Online Founder | Website
    Former Projects:
    - Vartan's EB Submod Compilation Pack

- Asia ton Barbaron (Armenian linguistics)
    - EB:NOM (Armenian linguistics/history)
    - Dominion of the Sword (Armenian linguistics/history, videographer)

How about this for an idea?

Instead of the old form of navigation with pages dedicated to factions and units we develop an interactive EBII map. The factions are displayed on the map as they appear in the game in their starting positions. By clicking on a faction's territory you are then brought to a page which displays the history of the faction, their victory conditions and their unit roster (possibly in the form of 2D icons borrowed from the EBII UI). For example if you click on Latium you are taken to a page with links to the Roman units, history and victory conditions. In this way users get a clearer idea of who is where, what they are expected to do and what units they can use to do it. Resources permitting the building trees of individual factions can also be added, as can screenshots showing the faction thrashing their likely opponents. It would also create a more interactive website than the functional and text heavy form of the EB website.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Brennus; 07-10-2012 at 18:58.

COYATOYPIKC Senior Member Flatout Minigame Champion Arjos's Avatar
    Prisoners upon this rock, flying without wings...

Good idea for people who can't recognize the symbol or are too lazy to mouse over :P

But yes a interactive map sounds like a great idea ^^

Instead of the old form of navigation with pages dedicated to factions and units we develop an interactive EBII map. The factions are displayed on the map as they appear in the game in their starting positions. By clicking on a faction's territory you are then brought to a page which displays the history of the faction, their victory conditions and their unit roster (possibly in the form of 2D icons borrowed from the EBII UI). For example if you click on Latium you are taken to a page with links to the Roman units, history and victory conditions. In this way users get a clearer idea of who is where, what they are expected to do and what units they can use to do it. Resources permitting the building trees of individual factions can also be added, as can screenshots showing the faction thrashing their likely opponents. It would also create a more interactive website than the functional and text heavy form of the EB website.

Thoughts?
    Actually that's an idea I've been toying with as well but there are a couple of non trivial issues to get right. (Not "being able to do it", but rather being able to do it so it blends in with the rest of the website well and does not depend too heavily on a full, fat desktop browser.)
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Thoughts?
    First off, I will say good luck. I think the original EB site is, by far, the best site for a mod I have encountered, with plenty of information and all pretty easy and straightforward to access.

I like the idea of the interactive map, providing (as Tellos Athenaios talks of) that its not going to throttle my PC...

If you have someone who can make a non-javascript-based interactive map that's lean and mean, then sure. I'm assuming you'd be ruling out users on highly mobile devices, such as phones and tablets (I don't see much incentive to cater, in this particular case). If there's any way you can make the edges blend without horrendously contrasting with the surrounding layout, then I think you have a good shot at this. Pretty much, I would steer away from having it be the elephant in a room of mice.
    EB Online Founder | Website
    Former Projects:
    - Vartan's EB Submod Compilation Pack

- Asia ton Barbaron (Armenian linguistics)
    - EB:NOM (Armenian linguistics/history)
    - Dominion of the Sword (Armenian linguistics/history, videographer)

Apprentice Geologist Member Blxz's Avatar

I'll say that the website is very beautiful and for the most part intuitive. Except that I thought the faction buttons were just background images for about the first 2 years of using this mod. I really like the idea of an integrated map where you can click on it and get taken to the faction info of choice. While I know enough about the time period to get around many many new people have ZERO idea about why there are 2 funny factions in gaul but neither of them is the 'Gauls'. In short, an easy to read but informative map will ease players into this new world.
    Completed Campaigns:
    Macedonia EB 0.81 / Saby'n EB 1.1
    Qart'Hadarst EB 1.2 / Hai EB 1.2
    Current Campiagns:
    Getai/Sauromatae/Baktria
    donated by Brennus for attention to detail.

if you´re going with the map also add in all the information for each area even if it´s non faction related like the garamantine area

i mean there´s no reason why good research should go to waste just because they didn´t made it as a faction (illergettes \0 )

Quote Originally Posted by moonburn View Post
    if you´re going with the map also add in all the information for each area even if it´s non faction related like the garamantine area

i mean there´s no reason why good research should go to waste just because they didn´t made it as a faction (illergettes \0 )
    Well the research won't be going to waste as it will be available to read when you play EBII.

I think I'd like to see one site for both mods, with a sort of welcome screen where one could choose whether they wanted to go to the EB I site or the EB II site.

The interactive map idea does sound awesome though.

Quote Originally Posted by Callimachus View Post
    I think I'd like to see one site for both mods, with a sort of welcome screen where one could choose whether they wanted to go to the EB I site or the EB II site.

The interactive map idea does sound awesome though.
    I can't imagine a title page linking the two websites would be too difficult to create. Tellos?

Hardly. The main question is what it should look like and what it should link to (there's probably commonalities between the sites that are better split off). Since we're hosted in Germany, we might have to do an Impressum as well?
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

well, if a website is in the works, why not implement what I and Herenow proposed earlier?

I attach a version of the idea, as specified by Herenow:

Ooh, ooh, I have an idea (and I'm actually being serious here)! Why not arrange those units in order of disappearance, as it were, starting with all the Vanilla units who have no equivalents in EB, moving on to units dropped after 0.7, then the old Sweboz units or the Roman units before they were reskinned or whatever - just arrange them chronologically.

Incidentally, having them all in a box of somekind in the middle of the page with a horizontal scroll bar should give the impression of walking along a museum corridor. Each 'display' could have the unit's picture with a brief description of what the unit is and why it was scrapped at some point (or, in the case of the Vanilla units, never included) underneath.

Er ... unless you guys want to hide all traces of old units, that is.
    only we do it so that it shows the changes from EB1's unit roster, to EB2's.
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

I suppose we could also add when important breakthroughs or events were made, for example at point X in the timeline the Boioi were agreed upon as a faction, at point Y bobbin was arrested for lewd conduct etc.

Any thoughts on what commonalities Tellos mentioned are better split off?

I suppose we could also add when important breakthroughs or events were made, for example at point X in the timeline the Boioi were agreed upon as a faction, at point Y bobbin was arrested for lewd conduct etc.
    Well the whole timeline idea is "difficult" for a variety of reasons but the main one is the issue of having your cake and eating it too.
    For example:
    • A consistent look vs being able to cram in a lot of content.
    • Performance (load times) vs graceful degradation.
    • Things that don't "have" a timeline.

Any thoughts on what commonalities Tellos mentioned are better split off?
    Well that would be the meta info such as "news"/"twitter", "about us" etc. Possibly a section on side projects released by the EB2 team (tools, voicemods, anim packs) if we feel we have time on our hands.
    - Tellos Athenaios

The wise one has spoken, gentlemen.

Member Member stratigos vasilios's Avatar

(be realistic though, an annual EBII lottery where you get to win dinner with Moros, for example, is not a realistic idea).
    Wow, knowing Moros that dinner would be filled with mind games.

SV: I'm ordering the chicken, you?
    Moros: I'll be ordering the beef...or am I?...
    SV: *sigh*
    We love you because you died and resurrected to save us...
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    We love you Goku!

i think that is too childish of a mindgame i imagine moros asking how you like your oysters or if you enjoy cheese peanuts seafood and all the top 25 food alergies and then sugesting you something you can´t understand in dutch and you´re there having to choose if you will eat it or not not knowing if you get to see the next day and then he offers you a position of eb official supervisor meaning you get to see all the content if you just eat what he as placed in front of you

but thats just me with a sick mind

Quote Originally Posted by stratigos vasilios View Post
    Wow, knowing Moros that dinner would be filled with mind games.

SV: I'm ordering the chicken, you?
    Moros: I'll be ordering the beef...or am I?...
    SV: *sigh*
    Nah, usually I'll just order Steak. I'm quite predictable actually.

Except when ordering drinks when I'm slowly getting drunk. Then my decision making is usually rather unpredictable and rather unwise as well.

gin and you can´t go worng plus the added bonus that the next morning your breath shouldn´t stink
    you can add tonic water for the flavour

Apprentice Geologist Member Blxz's Avatar

Not to mention being Belgian he probably has easy access to many fine Belgian beers.
    Completed Campaigns:
    Macedonia EB 0.81 / Saby'n EB 1.1
    Qart'Hadarst EB 1.2 / Hai EB 1.2
    Current Campiagns:
    Getai/Sauromatae/Baktria
    donated by Brennus for attention to detail.

I know I'm quite interesting but lets get back on topic guys.

Come on lads! Let's hear some ideas.

i just opened a thread with one :| if you mean about the site i have no programing skills so unleass you give me a clearer picture of what it will look like i can´t pitch in except for adding in the recruiter viwers online

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast