Thread: Black Egyptians

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

Default Re: Black Egyptians

Quote Originally Posted by Philipvs Vallindervs Calicvla View Post
    I'm very busy, and haven't had time to check this thread or do a lot of reading.

However, the point about the mod's accuracy is important. By 272 BS the Ptolemies, decendents of one of Alexander's Macedonian generals were the rulers of what we now call "Egypt". Central to the wars of the Sucessor Kingdoms were their claims to "Greekness" as well as "Macedonianness". Ptolemy's armies were, like his rivals, composed primarily of troops of Greek and Macedonian origin, with a healthy smattering of Thracians and Celts who acted as irregulars or other mercenary roles. The point is, Ptolemy was not remotely African and his descendants would have sought to maintain their Greekness, not dilute it, and by and large so would his soldiers.
    I'm well aware of this part: I've read about the incest among the Ptolemioi. I wasn't even talking about that.

So, while the debate about who "the Egyptians" were may be important it has little direct impact on how we depict the Macedonian units available to Egypt in EBII, if at all.
    that I know: as I said to Unbreakable, his hypothesis would only apply as late as the New Kingdom.
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

Member thankful for this post: