Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Rome 2 Total War and Europa Barbarorum

tribu Sequani, 15 milia north of Epomanduodurum. (origin Locus Venedi)

Default Re: Rome 2 Total War and Europa Barbarorum

Hi all,

IMHO comparing the (unreleased) mod to vanilla game is unfair.

Rome 2 has huge potential, thou still untapped properly. However CA is ironing out bugs and opening it up for modding. That's what really matters.
    I myself bought the game very recently so I knew what I am about to get, but absolutely I don't regret it (my first purchase of CA game since M2TW btw). I can bet talented modders will crack this game up to experience beating anything RTW or M2TW modding could offer. Sea battles alone I enjoy out of the box, did not even try any mods.

Considering EB mod, I'd rather you compare game engines. Rome 2 is a winner over M2TW, already, or this moment is very close. Being set in proper era is alone one great advantage, saving HUGE amount of work enforced on EB team by M2TW engine. Not going into details about all those new features we could only dream about in RTW or M2TW. Yeah, I saw Angry Joe's review - fair enough, but patches are still coming and majority of issues were about specific battle bugs - usually relatively easy to fix or overcome.

There should be a kind of open public discussion what is better for the future of EB mod - continued work on M2TW engine (keeping in mind that 1st release will be incomplete on many levels - we'll see how many) - or - porting as much as possible from gathered priceless historical info, all those fantastic textures made already, databes of historical places, voice mod as well as EB team modding talent - and to invest this all in Rome 2.

It is about what is really more worthy further effort. Even EB modders can't make M2TW engine better than it really is. Just finishing EB 2 on M2TW for the sake of finishing unfishined project is no more justified to me.

Perhaps there was already such a discussion, sorry if I start unnecessarily. I gradually lost some interest and stopped lurking here since long time, honestly (though I keep subscribed to EB TT news, admire marvelous work of modders and keep interested to see it released). But all my hopes for the best ancient era enjoyment went rather to future Rome 2 mods.

I think I am not alone believeing that the most logical step is to see EB work ported to Rome 2, as soon as possible.

I think you are entirely wrong.

First off, the potential of Rome 2 seems to me to be rather limited at the moment. True, they are ironing out bugs in AI behaviour and such in battles, but they are not adding much requested content to the campaign map (family tree, working politics system, ...). Also it remains to be seen how much it can really be modded. They are having a modding summit soon I gathered, so we will have some news on this. But while Rome 1 and Medieval 2 have a lot of features which can be exploited or transformed to support the deep and complex gameplay of EB, Rome 2 seems very 'streamlined'. In other words, much less easy to really transform.
    But I do not know these things for a fact, and afaik neither does the EB team. And this is why I disagree with you. At the moment, the team has the choice of working on the mod in Medieval 2 to have a playable game in the near future, expanding on this to once more give people at least 10 years in which they want to explore every corner of the game they have worked on for so long, waiting for other modders or CA to develop tools and guides on how to mod Rome 2; OR they can throw this away to painstakingly trial-and-error their way through the Rome 2 engine and the moddability thereof, depriving the fans but especially themselves from having a successor to their first amazingly wonderful game for at least 5 years (at the very very least). So your argument that a huge amount of work will be saved is false: it would be thrown away.
    Also, aside from naval combat there are no working features which would add to the gameplay of EB in Rome 2 in any significant way. The magic powers in battles are silly and would probably be turned off. The politics system doesn't work. The province system is not deep gameplay imho. On the contrary, many features have been cut. Family tree, all cities siegeable, useful and diverse agents, population, individual tax rates, open possibilities for factions, the possibility to strategize with multiple (small) armies if forts for example, ...

Discussion, fine, but I believe most people here will agree with what I have said, especially since the public release is not that far away (I gather beta testers have been contacted...).

Members thankful for this post (2):

sorry but for me at least medieval 2 is a better engine for eb2
    1 better city management. in rtw2 you cant have more that 5 buildings per faction more or less(which is the most importand feature of eb
    2 no building description

tribu Sequani, 15 milia north of Epomanduodurum. (origin Locus Venedi)

One thing is sure about Rome 2 - one should not expect to emulate old mods from RTW or M2TW with the same gameplay design principles - because it is quite different engine.
    One example is building tree - one can use this feature of RTW/M2TW to introduce interesting gameplay experience, but in itself complicated building tech tree is rather bad game design, from my point of view. As a ruler you make decisions, not keep contructing buildings on and on - it is not what fun is about.
    Besides, technology tree is somewhat separated from buildings in Rome 2.

While a lot material could be used (historical info, textures, wonders, voice mod etc), the gameplay itself needs different approach. But if this must be different, it doesn't need to be something less fun.

I'm convinced Rome 2 engine untapped potential needs care of talented modders. Like those EB team is. No question to release EB 2, but I wonder if anybody from EB team is going to modding summit for Rome 2?

That's all from me. Good luck with EB 2, guys, I can't wait.

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

We currently have no plans to mod RTWII as a group. It is probably unlikely we will in the future. But whatever the future may bring, our current goals is to work on the alpha and release it as soon as possible. As such, this discussion isn't very relevant to us at this point in time.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456