Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The Castration of Boxing

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

Default Re: The Castration of Boxing

Quote Originally Posted by Centurion1 View Post
    Did you train on a farm?
    Yes, but it didn't field good. After an hour of work, I suffered from so many acres and payins that I called the crops to get me out of there.
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

Wherever my blade takes me or to school, it sorta depends

Quote Originally Posted by Andres View Post
    Yes, but it didn't field good. After an hour of work, I suffered from so many acres and payins that I called the crops to get me out of there.
    Did the horticopter have to fly you to the hosiptal?

These puns are amaizeing.

Member thankful for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    The padding in MMA gloves is mostly positioned by the knuckles to dissipate the majority of the force.

You punch harder with boxing gloves on. You are lying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelatinous Cube View Post
    UFC fighters often still break their hands, there's been talk about switching to heavier gloves for years. Boxers still break their hands too, although not as often.

Your head is pretty solid, guys. It can take a hit. The gloves are for the hands.
    Were just a few of the posts. Everyone on the thread was either arguing that less padding=less damage or were agreeing with them.
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    You're not only a liar, you're also an idiot.

Life must be taxing
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Amphibious Trebuchet Salesman Member Whacker's Avatar

Can we seriously just do some kind of big orgah me(a)tup and have our own fight club? I call dibs on Vuk. Then strike and I get to give Turkish Oil Wrasslin' a go.

"Justice is the firm and continuous desire to render to everyone
    that which is his due."
    - Justinian I

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

I say we just cut to the chase and screw

:)
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

smell the glove Senior Member Major Robert Dump's Avatar

We should start a third thread for that
    Baby Quit Your Cryin' Put Your Clown Britches On!!!

Philologist Senior Member ajaxfetish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vuk View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South
    The padding in MMA gloves is mostly positioned by the knuckles to dissipate the majority of the force.

You punch harder with boxing gloves on. You are lying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelatinous Cube
    UFC fighters often still break their hands, there's been talk about switching to heavier gloves for years. Boxers still break their hands too, although not as often.

Your head is pretty solid, guys. It can take a hit. The gloves are for the hands.
    Were just a few of the posts. Everyone on the thread was either arguing that less padding=less damage or were agreeing with them.
    Let's see.

• StfS says that the padding in UFC gloves is placed to protect the striker's hands rather than to protect the strikee's head, and that strikes with gloves on are harder than with gloves off. No mention of the weight of the gloves having any effect on the force of the punch, just presence vs. absence.
    • GC says that UFC fighters (with lighter gloves) break their hands more often than boxers, so heavier gloves provide more hand protection, and mentions talk of the UFC switching to heavier gloves, presumably to provide more protection. No mention of harder hits with more padding.

Can you find any actual instances of people in the thread claiming heavier gloves allow harder hits, or only more instances of people saying heavier gloves provide more protection?

Ajax

"I do not yet know how chivalry will fare in these calamitous times of ours." --- Don Quixote
    "I have no words, my voice is in my sword." --- Shakespeare
    "I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it." --- Jack Handey

Let's just replace boxing with pankration. While we're at it, let's relax the rules a bit (we can call it Extreme Pankration) and allow biting and eye gouging. That should be fun.
    "And if the people raise a great howl against my barbarity and cruelty, I will answer that war is war and not popularity seeking. If they want peace, they and their relatives must stop the war." - William Tecumseh Sherman

“The market, like the Lord, helps those who help themselves. But unlike the Lord, the market does not forgive those who know not what they do.” - Warren Buffett

Amphibious Trebuchet Salesman Member Whacker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rvg View Post
    Let's just replace boxing with pankration. While we're at it, let's relax the rules a bit (we can call it Extreme Pankration) and allow biting and eye gouging. That should be fun.
    Go rewatch the first few UFCs.

"Justice is the firm and continuous desire to render to everyone
    that which is his due."
    - Justinian I

Quote Originally Posted by ajaxfetish View Post
    Let's see.

• StfS says that the padding in UFC gloves is placed to protect the striker's hands rather than to protect the strikee's head, and that strikes with gloves on are harder than with gloves off. No mention of the weight of the gloves having any effect on the force of the punch, just presence vs. absence.
    • GC says that UFC fighters (with lighter gloves) break their hands more often than boxers, so heavier gloves provide more hand protection, and mentions talk of the UFC switching to heavier gloves, presumably to provide more protection. No mention of harder hits with more padding.

Can you find any actual instances of people in the thread claiming heavier gloves allow harder hits, or only more instances of people saying heavier gloves provide more protection?

Ajax
    SFTS was responding to my post where I said that a punch with a UFC glove had a greater effect on someone than a punch with an 18oz boxing glove. Strike's post was disputing that and calling me a liar. His post was obviously, when context is considered, not saying that a punch with a boxing glove is more powerful than a bare-fisted strike, but is more powerful than one with a UFC glove. (and in his limited mind, more power=more effect)

Also, what as the point of GC's post if not to say that heavier gloves are more effective because even the UFC is thinking of switching to them?
    If you re-read my first post, I said that the sport of boxing should start using hand wraps and light protection (such as a layer of leather) instead of heavy gloves, so that boxing becomes more similar to bareknuckle boxing. My prescription was not to use the naked hand, but to use lighter protection to make it more similar to the naked hand. I only prescribed the naked hand for people training boxing for self-defense. The whole discussion about the effectiveness of the naked hand came about because I said that someone from the 1800s who trained with the naked fist would be able to defeat a modern boxer in a real fight.

At least half of the argument of this thread was over the advantages or disadvantages of heavy or lighter gloves, and everyone came down against me in the argument. Maybe you should reread the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by rvg View Post
    Hey, I got nothing against pankration, but it is not boxing. I am talking about the sport of boxing.
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Quote Originally Posted by Gelatinous Cube View Post
    UFC 1 is mandatory viewing for anyone who's interested in Martial Arts. Every fight is a classic, and some of them are downright absurd.
    Hey now GC, don't tell me you like bloodsports! :O Funny that when I talked about a version of boxing that would still have many more rules than UFC 1 did, everyone thought it was horrible, yet the love the UFC1 where many more things are allowed.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234