Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Europa Barbarorum II Website

‘Abdü’l-Mecīd-i evvel Member Kival's Avatar

Default Re: The Europa Barbarorum II Website

Quote Originally Posted by Tellos Athenaios View Post
    Since we're hosted in Germany, we might have to do an Impressum as well?
    Yes and no. A quite lengthy reasoning follows, so to anyone who does not care about this problem: Do not read further.

In theory private websites do not need an impressum (§55 RStV). The legal situation is not very clear though. This page: http://www.homepage-impressum.de/ (german) does discuss the problem quite extensively but to sum it up:

Directly defined are three categories of websites:

a) purely private sides. -> They do not need an impressum.
    b) professional "opinion-leading" page (read: anything remotedly similar to a newspaper) -> They do need an impressum.
    c) businesslike sites -> They do need an impressum.

Obviously there is a 4th category: Everything which is not a, b or c. It's a grey area and the contentious jurisdiction is ambigious. A site probably falls under "businesslike site", if it's a service which is "usually" done for money, it's not relevant if someone actually gets money for it. As it is relevant for competition law (and _not_ criminal law) it's relevant if it effects "the market". One can only be sued by a competitor who can claim to be effected by the site. So probably most sites won't get a problem without an impressum but to be safe the link and most people would advise to make an impressum. It's important to note that most cases regarding impressum are not even brought to case, usually a lawyer sents a "warning" with a claim for some degree of money which mostly consists of the "expenses" of the lawyer...

Of what an impressum in germany has to be made of depends (discussed in detail here http://www.homepage-impressum.de/abm...ein-impressum/ (german)). If one is only in the grey area of §55 RSTV (so neither of the 3 groups), it's probably enough just to use one name and adress. There is § 5 TMG I which defines the necessary impressum for a businesslike site. To use them is the safest.

- Name and an address at which the provider is operating (provider being the provider/owner of the site, not a provider like "telecom"); if the owner is an artificial/legal person, the name and address of the authorized representative.
    - Statements, that make possible a fast electronic contact-reception and immediate communication with them, including the adress of the the electronic post. According to most court decisions one also needs either a telephone number or a contact form which theoratically allows for an answer in less than 60 minutes (Note contact form alone is NOT enough, you need to mention the e-mail directly too)
    - If the official juristical person of the site is registered in a register, which is somehow related to what the site is offering, one also need to to write the register number in the impressum

This is in no way any kind of legal advice (necessary disclaimer in germany not to be sued ;-)).

‘Abdü’l-Mecīd-i evvel

Not realy bothered what the website looks like. Just want the game!

Uergobretos Senior Member Brennus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SoFarSoGood View Post
    Not realy bothered what the website looks like. Just want the game!
    We're working on it, which is one of the reasons I have been sat for the last 5 hours typing Celtic unit descriptions.... also I have work in the morning so I can go and get drunk. But tomorrow is another day!

What about media/downloadable content? Faction banners? Wallpaper? Sound files? Concept art? Perhaps once EBII is released people could submit some nice thorough strategy guides?

Also links to other sites (Kival you may need to advise me on the legality of this) such as reenactors (Power2the1 for example does that that sort of thing) or historical source websites for people who want to know more about their favourite factions or just read up on factions they didn't know much about before playing EB?

donated by ARCHIPPOS for being friendly to new people.
    donated by Macilrille for wit.
    donated by stratigos vasilios for starting new and interesting threads
    donated by Tellos Athenaios as a welcome to Campus Martius

Don't mind my impatience. It's natural to want to see something else as good as EB1. I wish I could help but know sod all about scripting or modding and I suspect you guys have the historical under control. I just hope that sounding opinions on a website means you are close to completion otherwise isn't it a bit cart before horse?

i think they´re going with their heads against the wall of the game engine limitations and so they need to find new stuff before they go crazy the historical part was mainly done i suspect since eb1 just a few more references to confront and double check

Not quite, some of the historical information (such as that for the Pritanoi) required a complete overhaul, the Celtic linguistics likewise have required major changes and of course there is the historical research which had to be undertaken for new factions like the Lugiones and Nabateans.

i remembered that the saba where the most poorly researched but ever since eb1.2 i´m sure the research as both advanced in rl aswhell as inside the eb team as for the new factions i had assumed that all the info was already available except for maybe adjusting cultural realities with game engine limitations

tribu Sequani, 15 milia north of Epomanduodurum. (origin Locus Venedi)

- please make the website mobile friendly, I mean data loading and formatting for pleasant navigation, reading and viewing. So navigation rather should be different becasue for EB I the site rather sucks in this department.
    - except unit roster, please add all historical descriptions of provinces and wonders, I tend to enjoy it better when I don't play the game at that moment.
    - linked vocal pronounciation of native names of units, cities, provinces is welcome... beside written pronounciation for in-game descriptions.
    - I don't mind adding sketches besides in-game screenshots of units, and Youtube videos as well, I liked them. But sketches seem worthy, they help to imagine historical look.

Member thankful for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by darius_d View Post
    - please make the website mobile friendly, I mean data loading and formatting for pleasant navigation, reading and viewing. So navigation rather should be different becasue for EB I the site rather sucks in this department.
    Will need to see what the programmers say about this, I can't say whether it is feasible or not.

- except unit roster, please add all historical descriptions of provinces and wonders, I tend to enjoy it better when I don't play the game at that moment.
    Easy enough to do but this may conflict with your issue of data loading.

- linked vocal pronounciation of native names of units, cities, provinces is welcome... beside written pronounciation for in-game descriptions.
    We can do units as we have (or in some cases will soon have) recordings for the units, but cities and provinces are highly unlikely as we would need to record them. The best we can do is provide phonetic spellings for cities and provinces.

- I don't mind adding sketches besides in-game screenshots of units, and Youtube videos as well, I liked them. But sketches seem worthy, they help to imagine historical look.
    Easily done.

Any more suggestions people?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12