Thread: Setting up a blog

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Default Setting up a blog

I've been looking in the process of setting up a blog for some time now, and now that I've figured out what to do with it, I need to organise and set it up.
    I want to set up a paid blog (aka not a free Wordpress or Blogspot), and through that I need to buy the domain and the hosting from a company.

So I buy the domain and the hosting. What happens next?

Can anyone enlighten me on this aspect? Who has a blog here?
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Boy's Guard Senior Member LeftEyeNine's Avatar

Default Re: Setting up a blog

Blogging, omitting Wordpress, Blogger stuff as you called so, would best be exercised, on the assumption that you do not have coding & designing skills yourself, via some CMS portal.

Joomla currently leads the CMS market and it's a 1-click-install through Fantastico framework -some infrastructure most of the hosting providers offer today.

On top of that, Joomla has bazillions of templates you could apply and customize even further to your liking -both free and premium.

Hope that helps a bit.

So basically I access my domain and there's the CMS portal I can log into. That's basically my "hidden interface".

So I set up my interface through the CMS portal and through there I can install the templates and manage it and such. Correct?

And thank you LEN.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Most people buy a domain and webhosting and then run wordpress.org (big difference from wordpress.com) through it. it's simple, supports plugins, and most web hosts support it with software packages making it simple and cost-effective.

"A lamb goes to the slaughter but a man, he knows when to walk away."

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval View Post
    So basically I access my domain and there's the CMS portal I can log into. That's basically my "hidden interface".

So I set up my interface through the CMS portal and through there I can install the templates and manage it and such. Correct?

And thank you LEN.
    Exactly so.

You have your administrator panel through which you install/adjust/publish any modifications available.

You're welcome. Let us know when it's available.

The Anger Shaman of the .Org Content Manager Voigtkampf's Avatar

I am in web design, among other things, and can help you setting everything up. PM me for help and me showing you some of my work, so you can pick something you like.

Today is your victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings, The Water Book

Quote Originally Posted by Voigtkampf View Post
    I am in web design, among other things, and can help you setting everything up. PM me for help and me showing you some of my work, so you can pick something you like.
    I am dubious about your taste seeing your sig, mate. Beveled text ? Oh no, let alone the colours.

Do not take it personal please.

Edit: Boy, you can't understand a tad bit of the joke as it is above. Awful. Sorry. :P
    Last edited by LeftEyeNine; 07-13-2012 at 07:48.

Quote Originally Posted by Voigtkampf View Post
    Thank you Voigtkampf.

Once I set up my hosting I will PM you, I'll defnitely need some help with the arrangement.

Proud

Been to:

Quote Originally Posted by LeftEyeNine View Post
    I am dubious about your taste seeing your sig, mate. Beveled text ? Oh no, let alone the colours.

Do not take it personal please.

Edit: Boy, you can't understand a tad bit of the joke as it is above. Awful. Sorry. :P
    Oy! Missed your comment, mate. Not offended. You are actually right. I am tacky, and cheap. Why should my sig be any other way?

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval View Post
    Thank you Voigtkampf.

Once I set up my hosting I will PM you, I'll defnitely need some help with the arrangement.
    Best to let me know before you start doing anything beyond getting your hosting. Make sure your host has cPanel offered in package. Cheers.

Today is your victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

The hosting package I intend to purchase has the latest version of cPanel in the package, along with PHP. They offered to install WordPress to me for free as well, so I guess it has everything I need.

Proud

Been to:

That is good, no need for them to install Wordpress, though. PM me when you are ready.

Also, anyone else who needs help with a website, let me know; its a pleasure to help Orgahs!

Any Joomla expertise, Voigt ?

Not nearly enough as in Wordpress, but I think I could handle it. Alas, I try to avoid Joomla. Horrid coding there.

I have to admit I'm quite impressed with the number of themes, options and customisation available with WordPress. Some stunning designs over there.

Proud

Been to:

I managed to finally set up my blog. Those interested can take a look over here.

www.randomwander.com

Proud

Been to:

Grand Patron's Banner Bearer Senior Member Peasant Phill's Avatar
    Somewhere relatively safe, behind some one else, preferably at the back
    Blog Entries

I may drop in once and a while.

I assume you'll be posting pictures of Romania there as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drone
    Someone has to watch over the wheat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TinCow
    We've made our walls sufficiently thick that we don't even hear the wet thuds of them bashing their brains against the outer wall and falling as lifeless corpses into our bottomless moat.

Quote Originally Posted by Peasant Phill View Post
    I may drop in once and a while.

I assume you'll be posting pictures of Romania there as well.
    Indeed I will.

And not only just.

Proud

Been to:

For those of you who are interested in setting up your own blog, I just want to direct you to Voigtkampf, our own Anger Shaman, who has been a magnificent help throughout.

Proud

Been to: