Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Making a God of War (Uesugi: Legednary, Domination)

War Story Recorder Senior Member Maltz's Avatar

Default Re: Making a God of War (Uesugi: Legednary, Domination)

Kagetora heard the charges of his men.
    He turned around, and he saw...

(5 years ago)

Torachiyo: "Master, look. I stumped on this bug. It is completely flattened. Haha!"
    Tenshitsu Koiku: "Indeed. The bug used to have a life. Now it is lifeless, flat, on the tatami."
    Torachiyo: "I know you want to blame me, master. For a monk should not kill. But even if I do not kill it, bugs do not live long anyway. I did not take too many days from it."
    Koiku: "Maybe it will die soon anyway. A bug's life is short compared to ours, Torachiyo. Maybe a human's life is short compared to something else. Can you give an example?"
    Torachiyo: "Like a pine tree? Those great, tall pine trees outside Rizenji must have lived for hundreds of years."
    Koiku: "Trees eventually die and rot, too. Is there anything older than pine trees?"
    Torachiyo: "The deity in the heavens, the Buddha, have been here for thousands of years, or more."
    Koiku: "Yes, they could be as old as this world. So how do you think the Buddha looks at us?"
    Torachiyo: "Just like we look at bugs. we are tiny and can be crushed easily."
    Koiku: "Yes. But have you heard Buddha descend upon this world and start killing people like bugs?"
    Torachiyo: "No..."
    Koiku: "Why mpt? Why do Buddha enlighten us and save us from the endless, bitter reincarnations?"
    Torachiyo: "I don't know."
    Koiku: "Buddha has sympathy on us, Torachiyo. We are all weak and small. But we have lives. Buddha and the deity know this, yet they cherish our lives."
    Torachiyo: "I... yes, master, thank you for your lesson. I understand now. I should cherish the bug's life, or any other person's life, like a Buddha cherishes my life."
    Koiku: "You are a good boy, Torachiyo. I have some old bread here. Why don't you take some old bread and feed the birds outside?"

Nomi: "Kagetora! What are you waiting for?! The enemies are fleeing! Time to charge!"
    Kagetora: "Ah... I am sorry. Bodyguards! Charge!"
    Bodygaurds: "Charge!"

As Kagetora raises his katana, he sees Nomi leading the other bodyguards in a glorious, powerful downhill charge. Harukage's soldiers will die from severe internal bleeding if they get hit by the horse charge.

Kagetora slows down his horse, and lets the other bodyguards go first. Kagetora is mature enough to understands this does not make him any less "guilty" of killing. These men follow his orders. So he is directly responsible for the killings. Besides, this is a battlefield. Kill, or be killed.

Here is another contradiction between Buddhist principles and the world. Kagetora must overcome it, if he wants to become the avatar of Bishamonten. What would Bishamonten think about this? He asks himself. But he is not wise enough to answer it.

"Wow. Can't we work together! That was a perfect trap! We lost just one ashigaru. And he was not killed by the enemy, but accidentally tripped and got flattened by our own guys who stepped on him. Poor dude.

Just like any general, Nagao Masakage would take a 200 : 1 exchange on any day.

Kagetora: "Good work, thank you all."
    Nomi: "You don't look too happy, Kagetora. Why? Because the poor guy died from friendly fire, friendly feet? Don't worry - things like this can happen. His family won't know the true cause of death. He will be honored."
    Kagetora: "Please don't worry about me. I should focus on battle, and contemplate memories after."
    Nomi: "Good for you. A good general makes judgment on a split of a second. Full attention is demanded at any time."
    Masakage: "So what do we do next? Can we draw out the second unit of Yari Ashigaru?"
    Nomi: "I am afraid it wouldn't be this easy. That second Yari Ashigaru unit is on the same side of the hill as Harukage's Yari Cavalry. We don't have a bait that can outrun Yari Cavalry from such a short distance."
    Masakage: "Isn't there a large hill overlooking Harukage's unit? Let's go up the hill and see if Harukage has some weakness to exploit."
    Kagetora: "Yeah. The soldiers could use a little shade from the noon sun."

Kagetora leads his men on top of the larger hill, where they share a good view on Harukage's hideout. Harukage's Yari Cavalry is exposed, but Harukage does not seem to know about that.

Nomi: "Kagetora, let's order our Bow Ashigaru to secretly march foward under the cover of the trees, and fire at Harukage. Maybe we can draw him out."
    Kagetora: "Sure. Bow Ashigaru, lunch break is over in 5 minutes!"

Slowly and quietly, Kagetora's Bow Ashigaru inch down the hill. Harukage's Yari Cavalry seems to be in their range. As Kagetora raises his katana, the ashigaru draw arrows, ready to fire. Suddenly, they hear noises coming form the other hill. Harukage's Bow Ashigaru is marching toward them.

Nomi: "This is no good. Call them back, Kagetora!"
    Kagetora: "Huh?"
    Nomi: "Call all of them back. Run! Everybody! You, too!"
    Kagetora: "OK. All Bow Ashigaru, cancel the plan! Fall back with me!"

Under Kagetora's command, the Bow Ashigaru and everyone on the hill fisrt run up then run down, to the other side of the hill. Finally, Harukage's Bow Ashigaru gave up their slow pursue, and returned to their hideout.

Masakage: "Why don't we attack just now? We have Harukage in range."
    Nomi: "Because we will be in Harukage's Bow Ashigaru's range."
    Masakage: "We have forests as cover. We can kill them faster even if we have a shooting duel."
    Nomi: "And what will happen after Harukage loses his Bow Ashigaru?"
    Masakage: "Hm... without ranged units in the army? I think he will launch a full assault. Then we will be forced to engage."
    Nomi: "Against foes like Harukage? We are not thinking about just victory. We are thinking about a landside victory. We can do better than that."
    Kagetora: "It looks like Harukage's passive-aggressive Bow Ashigaru has come to this side of the hill. Maybe now we can work on his units from the opposite side? Like we did before?"
    Masakage: "Sure. I will handle the infantry like before."
    Nomi: "I agree. If the enemy does not move, we move."
    Kagetora: "I suppose the next sentence goes: If the enemy moves, we do not move?"
    Nomi: "What? So you wait on the same spot to be defeated? If the enemy moves, we move faster!"

As Kagetora and Nomi ride to the other side of Harukage's army, Masakage orders the infantry to regroup behind a small hill. Harukage's army is also moving in the forest.

Kagetora: "Nomi, can you tell which yari infantry is on our side now?"
    Nomi: "I think their yai is too short to be Ashigaru's. Let's get closer. Maybe to the back of their army. Maybe Harukage will be disturbed enough and do something stupid."
    Kagetora: "Ok."

As Kagetora and Nomi ride even closer to Harukage, they heard a sudden, loud charging call from the forest.

Kagetora: "Harukage is attacking! Let's get back to the trap!"
    Nomi: "Nope - they are not coming at us... they are going at Masakage!"
    Kagetora: "We have to get back to help!"
    Nomi: "I think Harukage just charged with his Yari Cavalry. Don't bother, Kagetora. It will be over before we get back. Let's hope for the best."

"Masakage! Enemy incoming!" Kagetora yells his lungs out.

Masakage also heard the charge from the forest. He saw 80 Yari Cavalry flying down the hill, coming right at him. Then he heard somebody yelling from a great distance - can't really tell the words.

"Ha. This must be Kagetora's warning."
    Masakage clenches his fist. His hands are sweating.

"This is the moment of the battle. Nagao Masakage's name shall be remembered for what is going to happen next!"
    Masakage murmurs to himself.

"Yari Samurai, rush to the top of the small hill, toward that patch of pine forest! Bow Ashigaru, prepare for engagement! Bodyguards, hold your position - do not let the enemy see us moving yet!"
    "But my lord, the enemy taisho is charging at us! They are fast!"
    "Show your courage! Show your toughness! Show your honor! We will be victorious! On my order...!"

If Masakage moves too fast, he might not be able to draw Haruakge into his trap.
    If Masakage moves too slow, he will be charged into.

He needs to find the right moment!

"My lord, enemy is getting too close!"
    "My lord, please order us to move!"

"NOW! Rush up the hill, towards that patch of pine trees!"

On Masakage's order, his bodyguards whip their horses like mad! But they are obviously slow due to their heavy armor and equipment, the "ballon" and all that. Nagao Harukage's Yari Cavalry flies like a straight arrow, pointing right at the slow bodyguards of Masakage! The distance between the two is rapidly shortening!

Harukage: "Traitor of Nagao! You are just like your father!"
    Masakage: "Scum of Nagao! How dare you insult my father! Come and fight!"
    Harukage: "Kill him!"

Harukage's Yari Cavalry rush up the little hill in no time! They have caught up with Masakage's bodyguards! One bodyguard instantly fell, two more are trapped!

But Harukage is not excited - as he discovers he is the one trapped!

"CHARGE!"
    Masakage's Yari Samurai arrive at almost the best moment and spot possible - they pour down the hill and charge into Harukage's Yari Cavalry in the small pine forest!

Masakage: "Bow Ashigaru, prepare to wrap from behind! Bodyguards, come with me! We cricle to his back! Harukage dies right here!"

While Yari Cavalry is essentially Yari Samurai on horse, they are no match of Yari Samurai on foot. Their unarmored steeds are very big and easy targets. Their movement is heavily restricted in the forest. The horses fall quickly, throwing the riders on the ground.

Kagetora's Yari Samurai keeps pouring from behind the hill. Seeing so many of his best fall in such a short time, Harukage's confidence is quickly replaced by fear. He starts to accept that he made a bad move. But he still hoped that somehow a miracle would happen.

Seconds have gone by and the miracle has not arrived. Four rows of Yari Cavalry has been reduced to just one. There is no doubt that he is defeated. All he can hope is to make it out alive.

"Retreat! Retreat!" Harukage yells, while he is already riding down the hill.

As Harukage turns back, he discovers that more enemies are about to circle to his back. They are merely Bow Ashigaru. But if they are given a few more seconds, they will completely block his way of retreat - certain death.

Perhaps fortunately for Harukage, his Yari Cavalry is defeated so quickly that the Bow Ashigaru could not completely block off his retreat route in time.

"Run! Run!" Harukage whips his steed like a mad man.

"CHARGE! Don't let them escape!"
    It is now Maskage's turn to charge at Harukage!

"I was tricked by the traitor Masakage! He will be pusnihed by his treachery one day!"
    Haruakge swears as he flees like wind.
    But he makes no plan to come back and fulfill his prophecy - his men's morale have been shattered from that traumatic experience on top of the small hill.
    His remaining infantries are abandoned on the battlefield.

"My lord, we lost 4 Yari Samurai and killed 56 Yari Cavalry."
    Masakage: "Excellent work. That fool Harukage is lucky to make it out alive, or this would be a perfect story to tell. Well, now we all know who is the boss here!.

Kagetora: "Wow. That was really close. You are truly brave to wait for this long to start moving."
    Masakage: "Probably a little too brave. Three good bodyguards lost their lives because of my misjudgment of speeds. I need to be more careful later."
    Nomi: "Don't worry about it. The vacancy can be filled easily within a year."

Nomi seems to be unusually indiferent of loss of lives. Maybe that's because she is used to sever her own emotional feelings.

Kagetora: "Harukage has abandoned his men in the forest. Can we ask them to surrender?"
    Masakage: "I hope there is such option... Let's fight them and finish this. Three units remain. The Yari Samurai, the Bow Ashigaru, and the Yari Ashigaru. Where do we begin?"
    Nomi: "Those Yari Samurai are showing their faces from the forest, and they don't seem to be protected by Bow units. Shoot at them and draw them out!"

Kagetora watches his Bow Ashigaru leading Harukage's Yari Samurai into the trap.
    They might be looking for a quick death. Or some good fight before it happens.

"Ashigaru, do not be afraid of samurai! They are in our trap! They are not coming out alive! CHARGE!"

But Kagetora wants to minimize the loss of his men. Every life is to be cherished, if he has the control of any. It is over quite quickly, with badly injured enemies struggled for another labored breath on the blood-stained grass. They are suffering.

Kagetora noticed that Nomi took out a little Biwa (a string instrument that is very roughly equivalent to a "guitar" of ancient east asia) and starts playing a very tragic tone.
    Nomi starts singing.

Ashigaru and samurai, one low and one high.
    Equal on the battlefield, each has exact on life.

The outcome is clear, when commander flees in fear.
    Holy banner carries blood smear, if the deities would care.

Feud of brothers is tragedy, resolved by a clash of two armies.
    The chosen's rise is destiny, for he shall leave a forever legacy.

Wins and losses will be forgoten,
    Blunders and error will be forgiven.
    Virtues though carry forever,
    In words and deeds of the believer.

Kagetora sighs quietly as Nomi finishes her song.

Masakage: "Wow. Can everybody on Biwa island play Biwa like you? Amazing!"
    Nomi: "Do all member of the Nagao clan grow long tails, Masakage?"
    Masakage: " That was intended to be a joke and a compliment... OK let's focus on the battle! There are only two units remain in the forest. Kagetora, the Bow Ashigaru can draw out the next one."
    Nomi: "Bow Ashigaru is showing their face. Let's play safe."

Under Kagetora's command, each Bow Ashigaru increased their distance to each other.
    They approach the forest with a loose formation. So even if they get fired on, there will be less casualty.
    Moments later, Harukage's Bow Ashigaru started marching down hill - following a tree-less clear path.

Nomi: "This one will be over with a splash. Kagetora and Masakage can set up an ambush on each side. Maskage keeps a slightly longer distance. Wait for the enemy to pass the line between you two, then charge. As Kagetora draws the enemy's attention and charges into the enemy head-on, Maskage charges right into the enemy's rear. And as you are directly opposite of each other, the enemy unit will be instantly torn apart, and rout."
    Masakage: "What a stylish tactics. Did you learn it from master Usami Sadamitsu, the founder of Echigo-ryu Tactics?"
    Nomi: "Yes. This is Split Chrysanthemum sytle. There are a few more varities... I can show you when the situations arise."
    Masakage: "Split Chrysanthemum that is!"

Note: Naga-o, 長尾, is literally "long tail" or "grow tail".

Kagetora, Nomi and the other bodyguards waited in a distance. The enemy Bow Ashigaru slowly marches forward.

Kagetora: "Is it time yet?"
    Nomi: "Not yet. If you charge now, they will see us and fire on us. Wait until they cannot see you coming until it is too late."
    Kagetora: "OK."

Patience is important, just as important as making lightning fast judgment.
    Yet as Kagetora focuses his eyes on the enemy, they seem to walk a lot more slowly...

Nomi: "NOW!"
    Kagetora: "Charge with me one last time, guards!"
    Bodyguards: "CHARGE!"

Kagetora feels wind pass through his ears.
    They are quickly approaching the enemey - who appears to be unaware of their attack.
    Suddenly, the enemy turns around and attempt to draw arrows!

Kagetora: "AHHHH~"
    Kagetora led his guards charge right into the enemy's bow ashigaru, followed by Masakage's perfect rear charge only seconds later.

Bodies fly and roll!

Kagetora, Masakage, Nomi, and all riders swing their Katana and cut down the helpless Bow Ashigaru. They do not even know which direction to flee. Soon they were all lying, face down, face up, or face unrecognizable or missing.

Nobody fell on Kagetora's side.

Masakage: "Good. Just one last unit remain - Yari Ashigaru. Let's go."
    Nomi: "I think they are already fleeing. Shall we lay the last ambush and finish this?"
    Kagetora: "Can't we just ask them to surrender?"
    Nomi: "There is an honor dying on the battlefield. Surrendering leaves them shame for the rest of their lives."

"Maybe this honor thing is carried a little too far..." Kagetora wonders in his mind.

The Battle of Nagaoka is over by mid-afternoon.
    All Echigo soon learned that Kagetora's army defeated his brother Harukage's with a wide margin.
    The nearby clans were thrilled by the seemingly unlikely result.
    The rule of Kagetora is firmly in Kagetora's hand.
    But this was only the beginning of a long journey.

Harukage and his other 23 remaining men attempt to hide in deep pine forest of Echigo.
    Yet the unpopular Harukage's location was soon given away by hunters, and Kagetora's army easily tracked him down.
    Harukage's men did not have a chance when they are surrounded.
    They chose to commit Seppuku, which is more honorable than being killed by enemies.

Echigo's landlords are now firmly united under Kagetora's "Bi" banner, which severs as a great inpsiration for soldiers of the Nagao clan.
    Some start to wonder maybe Kagetora is really the avatar of Bishamonten, for he did so well in his first battle.
    But the 15-year-old needs way more battles to prove his ability.

Here comes the right time to play the First Episode!
    The HD version (1080) is also available on Youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6nAlyMdtg4

By the way, in the game, Nagao Kagetora is bold at a young age of 15.
    He looks like a cheap-item shop owner of JRPG... how can they make Uesugi Kenshin look like this.

Member thankful for this post:

Chapter 7. Making a God of War

Distant thunders can be heard from the forest;
    cool drizzles passes through layers of pine needles.
    Soldiers of Nagao Kagetora carries the body of Harukage, his face forever marked with terror.

Kagetora: "Rest in peace, my brother. I shall take your responsibility of the Nagao clan, and do my best to help it prosper."

Kagetora reaches out and closes Harukage's eyes.
    He does not hold any negative sentiment against Harukage. Only destiny turns them into enemies.
    Maybe years later, they will lay side by side in the graveyard behind Rizenji. It does not matter.

Maoko: "Finally I found you, My lord. An ashigaru picked up a very good stuff - as a gift to my lord Kagetora."
    Kagetora: "Oh? Please let's take a look."

Ashigaru: "My lord! I found this old man! He got lost on the battlefield!"
    Kagetora: "Why do you call this old mister a "good stuff"? He should be led home."
    Maoko: "My lord, this is the famous Noodle Chef - Master Kang from Great Ming (Chinese Dynasty, 1368-1644)!"
    Kagetora: "Master Kang from Great Ming?"
    Master Kang: "Yes, Kagetora my lord! I can see that you are taller than average young men. You must have had noodle and bread instead of rice, right?"
    Kagetora: "I have udon and ramen sometimes..."
    Maoko: "Master Kang is a famous noodle chef from Great Ming. How about let's hire Master Kang to make noodle for Kasugayama castle? Good noodles, satisfied and impressed guests."
    Kagetora: "Sounds good. Then Master Kang, how about let's..."

Nomi: "Hold on!"
    Nomi takes a big step forward. She stands between Master Kang and Kagetora like a mountain.

Nomi: "The desire of the tongue and nose is a poisonous snake to our mind. The avatar of Bishamonten would practice righteousness and assist the weak. Why should he worry about not being popular as a result? We don't have to resort to bribe our guests' stomach."
    Kagetora: "Yeah... Nomi is right. Bishamonten is a follower of Buddha, too, so he has to watch his behavior. Master Kang, I'll have some ashigaru to lead you home. I will be happy with discounted tea and rice."
    Master Kang: "Sure. Kagetora my lord, it is sad that we have to part ways right after we meet. Well, let me leave you a gift. It is nothing special..."

Master Kang reaches into his pants' pocket.
    A wooden rod as thick as one's wrist, and a robber band as thick as one's thumb.

Master Kang: "People say my noodles taste so good, but actually my materials are nothing different. The only true difference of my noodles are the process of dough. I give it a good, long rub before I let it sit. After practicing dough rubbing for 30 years, I can rub a huge dough as heavy as 50 pounds. My strength comes from these two small items. I pull this rubber band on the rod, every night for 100 times. I carry these two items with me as a sentimental sourvenir to remind myself that no greatness can be achieved without practice, practice, and more practice. Now I see that Kagetora my lord is young. It is the right time to take on a correct attitude toward this world. Hopefully these two items give Kagetora my lord some things to think about."

Kagetora receives the rod and the rubber band from Master Kang. The wooden rod has been rubbed so much that it is as smooth as jade, and the rubber band is so thick that it looks that it cannot be stretched by regular means. Practice makes perfect - 30 years of dough rubbing to make a Master Noodle Chef.

Kagetora: "I really appreciate this valuable gift, master."
    Master Kang: "You are very welcome. Oh, by the way, these two items are originally used to train for bow pulling. I cannot tell you how to pull a bow, though. It is not my expertise."
    Kagetora: "So it is a Gomuyumi (rubber bow). Thanks, Master Kang!"

Master Kang disappears behind the deep-forest path under the escort of ashigaru. A hermit with legendary skills.

Nomi: "What a good gift to change one's life, more valuable than any material fortune in the world. Kagetora, you must cherish it."
    Kagetora: "Of course. Let me give it a pull."

Kagetora puts the rubber band on the rod. He holds the rod with his left hand. His right hand holds the rubber...

Kagetora: "HMMM... YOOO... AHHH... AIIII...."
    Nomi: "Just pull it. Why so much whining?"

Kagetora pulled as hard as he could, but the rubber only extended by about half an inch.

Maoko: "Master Kang must be a god-descend if he can pull this rubber band..."
    Nomi: "Is it as hard as it looks? Let me give it a try."

Nomi stands firm on the ground. Her chest high, her belly restrained, she inshales!

Nomi: "YAH!"
    The rubber band turns into heated butter - it stretches to double length!

Maoko: "Nomi is not a god-descend, Nomi is a god..."
    Nomi: "Ha... this is nothing. I practice martial art every day. Kagetora is a prince who lives in a temple. I bet somebody else took water from the well for you? Go back to Kasugayama and pull this bow - 1000 times each night! Then we see who is better ten years later."

Kagetora:

Kagetora's pain is written on his face when he thinks about pulling the rubber bow 1000 times each night.

Nomi: "Don't look so miserable. Taking pain like a meal. Take training like entertainment!"
    Kagetora: "It is not easy to become a god of war's avatar. I have to train and practice martial arts!"
    Nomi: "BAH. Even if you become a sword saint, you are at best a god of fighting - a gatekeeper for a god of war. You have to learn more tricks to become a god of war."
    Kagetora: "Which tricks?"

Nomi confidently raises her chin. She probably has these answers for a long time.

Nomi: "Ancient Chinese strategist wrote that 'An army's value relies on its godly speed.' You should always take the initiative on the battlefield, and let the enemy react to your decisions - barely. You know the enemies' intention quickly, make decisions quickly, prepare quickly, and march quickly. When the enemies arrive, you send them home with an ambush. When the enemies want to catch their breath, you rush them and cut them to pieces."

Maoko: "And when the enemise wants to scavenge the battleifled, you have already finished and all bodies are stripped to their underwears."

Nomi: "NO! Bishamonten returns belongings to their rightful owners. We defeat the enemies until their minds bow to Bishamonten - until they feel too embarrassed to receive your returned spoils of war."
    Kagetora: "Certainly! I have to work on strategies. I shall read strategy books of all ages, and ask for enlightenment from experts. I will learn from each battle in the future!"
    Maoko: "My lord, the library in Kasugayama Castle has a large volume of literature. Welcome to take a look."
    Kagetora: "Great!"

Nomi is not finished yet. She drank some water from her kettle and continued...

Nomi: "The ultimate goal of being a god of war's avatar is to establish an absolutly terrifying reputation. Your own men listen to you; your enemies listen to you. When you come, they behave; when you leave, they get naughty. When you smile, the are loose; when you frown, they are tight. When you raise your hand, they are soft; when you put down your hand, they are hard..."

Maoko: "Maybe we should clarify this..."

Nomi: "Don't interrupt me! At the end, when our enemies realize Nagao Kagetora is coming, they will shake and sweat uncontrollably, follwed by running away unconditionally. Anybody can bear your Bi banner, and the enemies suffer a mental break down upon seeing it. This is Bishamonten's terror! Devils are banished in hell! WAHAHAHAHA!"

Nomi laughs uncontrollably as she imagines the scene. Maybe that's her own dream.

Kagetora: " I can only dream for this day to come true. Maybe I can gain some reputation from having more battles..."
    Nomi: "As you walk the righteous path of Bishamonten, the world will start to believe. Don't worry."
    Kagetora: "Yes. I shall take one step at a time, but never give up. Now I know the fisrt and the final goal. Is there any intermediate goal?"

Nomi: "Didn't you hear the saying that 'too many routes make you lose all sheep?' Let's just make one more goal. Hm... there are many kinds of specialized generals. Some are good at castle assault, some are good at cavalry, some infantry... take your choice."
    Maoko: "My lord, infantry consists of the majority of the army. Shall we consider to specialize as an infantry general?"
    Nomi: "Hm... the root of all armies? Cavalry is afraid of trees. Bowmen is afraid of rain and darkness. Melee infantry is the most versatile. Destroying the enemies face to face is the foundation of battles. Sure, Infantry general is a good idea."
    Kagetora: "Right! I will study infantry tactics!"

Maoko: "Lady Nomi, I heard that there is another specialized general who look for sneaky night assaults..."
    Nomi: "How can you let the avatar of Bishamonten attack in people's sleep? That works completely against our public relations effort. Kagetora always attack during the day. Well, unless the enemy is a night owl and wants to fight at night."
    Kagetora: "Fighting face to face under broad daylight? Sure. I will work hard to become a worthy avatar of Bishamonten!"

Maoko: "Maybe lord Masakage is more interested in night attacks..."

Chapter 8. Valuable Promises

Kasugayama Castle has a new owner, as the fued of brothers ends.
    But the real tasks of ruling a clan begins. Diplomacy, economy, research...
    One bad decision... well, is a bad decision.

Kagetora: "Masakage, could you please give me a briefing on the clans surrounding Nagao?"
    Masakage: "Certainly. Currently, we are at war with Jinbo(神保) in Etchu. The Yamanouchi Uesugi(山內上杉) is very friendly to us Nagao (see note). The Mogami(最上) clan to the northeast is friendly; they fight Date(伊達) and Honma(本間). The Ashina(蘆名) clan to the southeast is also friendly; they fight Satake(佐竹). The Murakami(村上) clan to the southwest is neutral; they fight Takeda(武田)."
    Kagetora: "So we have just one immediate enemy, Jinbo."
    Masakage: "Yes. Nagao has been nice to our neighbors lately. We do not invade others - except Jinbo in Etchu. But that battle had to be fought. Do you want to hear about it? It could take a while..."
    Kagetora: "Please. I would be embarrassed if I do not know about the history of my own clan."

Nagao and Jinbo has a long history dated back to three generations ago. The story involves the the Shogunate's (official) Guardian of Echigo, Uesugi, and the Ueda Nagao which is now under Nagao Masakage.

In 1506, Nagao Kagetora's grandfather, Nagao Yoshikage (長尾能景), the Shogunate's Acting Guardian of Echigo, marched an army to Etchu in order to assist Jinbo Yoshimune (神保慶宗), the Shogunate's Acting Guardian of Etchu, to defend against Ikko-Ikki. They won their first battle. But Jinbo Yoshimune suddenly made a peace treaty with Ikko-Ikki, and withdrew from their next battle. Nagao Yoshikage asked for reinforcement from his superior, the Official Echigo Guardian Uesugi Fusayoshi (上杉房能), but Fukayoshi refused to help. Nagao Yoshikage was outnumbered by Ikko-Ikki and killed in battle in Etchu.

Kagetora: "Poor grandfather..."
    Nomi: "With a friend like Jinbo Yoshimune, why do you even need an enemy?"

The position of the Acting Guardian of Echigo was succeeded by Kagetora's father, Nagao Tamekage (長尾為景). In the following year (1507), the Echigo Guardian Uesugi Fusayoshi wanted to take back Tamekage's control of his army. But Tamekage hoped to revenge for his father. In addition, he blamed Uesugi Fusayoshi's refusal to help a direct cause of his father's death. As a result, Tamekage supported an adopted son of Uesugi Fusayoshi, Uesugi Sadazane (上杉定實), to become the new official Guardian of Echigo. Of course, Sadazane would favor Tamekage to continuelly command Echigo's army.

Nagao Tamekage attacked Uesugi Fusayoshi. Fusayoshi lost, and committed suicide while fleeing Echigo. As a result, the Shogunate's (official) Guardian of Echigo is now Uesugi Sadazane.

Kagetora: "Father was called a representative of the Sengoku Jidai's treachery. It began here, right?"
    Masakage: "Without his 'treachery', you do not exist, Kagetora."
    Nomi: "Uesugi Sadazane is still living in Echigo. He freqently visits Biwa island."

In 1509, Uesugi Akisada (上杉顯定), the lord of Yamanouchi Uesugi, the Shogunate's Commander of Kanto (關東管領, the highest position under Seii Tai-Shogun 征夷大將軍, THE Shogun)", vowed to revenge for Uesugi Fusayoshi. The army of Kanto marched to Echigo. Then, Ueda Nagao, one of Nagao's prominent families, switched side to join Kanto army in a bid to replace Tamekage's Sanjo Nagao as the new head Nagao Clan. The dominos fall further and Tamekage had to flee Echigo, first to Etchu and later to Sado island, living in a temple. This was the low point of Nagao Tamekage's life.
    :on_poverty:

Kagetora: "So your father betrayed my father..."
    Masakage: "I was not born yet. Don't blame me!

Nagao Tamekage would not be so famous if he gave up from there. He got the help from the Honma clan, ruler of Sado island. After a series of preparations, in 1510 Takekage landed in Echigo with his army, and defeated Uesugi Akisada's Kanto army in subsequent battles. At the moment, Kanto was not very stable due to the rise of the Sagami Hojo clan, so Uesugi Akisada decided retreat from Echigo. However, the Ueda Nagao, led by Masakage's father, flipped back to the side of Tamekage's Sanjo Nagao, and severed the Kanto army's retreat route. The Uesugi army was forced to fight, and lost. Uesugi Akisada committed suicide. Nagao Tamekage was in firm control of Echigo since then.

Masakage: "Now Sanjo and Ueda Nagaos are in good terms... because your elder sister is my wife."
    Nomi: "Killing the Guardian of the province and the Kanto Commander? That's quite something. I am sure Kagetora's father saw fingers pointing at him everywhere he went."
    Masakage: "That's probably why he decided to retire a little earlier. Eight years ago (1537), he attended a tea ceremony in Kyoto, and was insulted by other daimyos. He announced his retirement when he came back."
    Maoko: "Actually I joined that Kyoto trip with master Kagetora, then just 7 years old. We visited Nara's great temple, Todaiji. Now we realize why old master wanted to retire immediately after he returned to Echigo."
    Nomi: "My father and I seemed go to Nara at the same time, too. Maybe we met each other at that time? I cannot remember."
    Maoko: :on_smile:

Masakage: "Well, when two armies meet, who says only the higher ranked can defeat the lower ranked? Even the Seii-Taishogun is now a figure head in Kyoto. The Commander of Kanto is just a title now."
    Kagetora: "Yeah. Wait a second... Uesugi Akisada is the lord of Yamanouchi Uesugi. My father killed Uesugi Akisada. So why are we now very friendly with Yamanouchi Uesugi? "
    Masakage: "Let's just say the current Kanto Commander, Uesugi Norimasa (上杉憲政), has little to do with Uesugi Akisada. There were three Kanto Commanders in between."
    Maoko: "Let's go back to Jinbo..."

Note: In history, Yamanouchi Uesugi did not become a vassal of Nagao until several years later. This story attmpts to be historically accurate and correct the game's oversimplification.

Kagetora: "Sorry. Just a second, so what happened after my father defeated the Kanto Kanrei (Commander of Kanto)?"

Masakage: "Well, your elder brother Nagao Harukage became the adopted son and successor of Uesugi Sadazane. This makes sure that when Uesugi Sadazane eventually passes away, the Nagao clan will become the (officla) Echigo Guardian."

Nomi: "For the Echigo's internal harmony."
    Masakage: "Not quite - remember that my family, Ueda Nagao, once betrayed... pretended to betray? Your father Tamekage then married out his daughters, one to each major Nagao family. That's why my wife is your elder sister."
    Kagetora: "I hope our blood lines are not too closely related..."
    Masakage: "Yeah..."
    Nomi: "Having a lot of kids is an asset in the Sengoku Jidai. If the reproductive trait runs in the family, maybe Kagetora will one day have many kids?"
    Kagetora: "I am not interested in marriage..."

Maoko: "My lord, let's get to Jinbo..."

Masakage: "OK! Now Echigo is ready to make a pay back to Etchu. Fifteen years ago (1520), your father Nagao Tamekage attacked Etchu. He was a good army commander, and defeated Jinbo Yoshimune. Yoshimune committed suicide. His son Jinbo Nagamoto bowed to revenge for his father, just like your father vowed to revenge for his father. The two clans have been fighting on and off since."

Kagetora: "Got it. It is unfortunate that Nagao and Jinbo have come to this. Let's talk about something else..."

(A) Talk about Economy. (Paragon +4) <----
    (B) Talk about Diplomacy. (Paragon +3) [done]
    (C) Talk about Military. (Renegade +2)
    (D) Talk about my sister. (Renegade +10)

Kagetora: "Let's talk about how to sustain Echigo's economy. The lands in Echigo does not seem to be particularly fertile..."

Maoko the housekeeper takes a large step forward and bows to Kagetora. Looks like she had done various research on this subject.

Maoko: "There are two good ways to increase income, my lord. The first is through territorial expansion. The more tax payers there are, the wealtheir we are. However, since we also need to expand the government body over the acquired territories, we will receive less and less additional income."

Kagetora: "Why? Don't we hire the same number of government staff?"

Maoko: "My lord, due to the Shogunnate and the class of warrios, Japan is now essentially a feudalism soceity, not a centralized power like Great Ming. In feudalism, your additional provinces are managed by your clan officers. They have their families to feed, bodyguards to hire, personal wealth to grow, etc."

Kagetora: "Got it. Sounds like an ineffective way to earn money... and expansion involves war, and tragedy to the innocent. So what's the second way to increase income?"

Maoko: "Business. We do business with other clans and other countries."

Kagetora: "How do we incraese income by business?"

Maoko: "Er... I guess Rizenji does not want my lord to be greedy. Buy low, sell high, supply where goods are demanded, and hold monopoly on rare but valuable commidities that everybody wants so we set our own price. We do not have to make money to advance our personal wealth - we do that so Echigo and its people prosper. To be greedy and selfish is the nature of mankind. Only the selected few can be free from such trivial pursuit and focus on the most important aspects about life - making our short life count."

Maoko suddenly stops, and look at Masakage.

Masakage: "OK, I won't buy that rice field near Kasugayama Castle..."

Maoko: "Echigo actually has a naval tradition that allows us to conduct more profitable trades... However, since some time ago the difference becomes so small that is now unnoticable. But we still have a good ship-building industry... but that's military."

Masakage: "Sounds like Maoko the housekeeper knows a lot about money making! Kagetora's Kasugayama castle is in good hands."
    Kagetora: "Yes. Maoko will guide us through many dilemma situations in the future."
    Maoko: "I will do my best, my lord."

Kagetora noticed that Nomi's are looking outside the meeting room. Maybe she is not very interested in business.

Kagetora: "Let's talk about something else..."

(A) Talk about Economy. (Paragon +4) [done]
    (B) Talk about Diplomacy. (Paragon +3) [done]
    (C) Talk about Military. (Renegade +2) <---
    (D) Talk about Nomi's ideal type of bodyfriend. (Honor -1)

Kagetora: "So Nomi, what's your advice on Nagao's military?"

Nomi: "We have only one enemy, so what do you say? Jinbo has been our enemy for three generations. There is no hope for peace. For someone who would be so afraid to go to battle that they could make peace with an enemy in front of their friend, we can crush these bastards with the small army we have now."

Kagetora: "Hopefully. Hm... I heard that backstabbing is quite common in Sengoku Jidai. Is there some way to make sure that our neighbors will stay friendly with us?"

Masakage: "Like marching an army to Echigo immediately after we leave? That would be so dishonorable. Well, we can always dispatch emissaries to reinforcement our friendship with nearby clans."

Kagetora: "How do we do that? With gifts?"
    Masakage: "Your brother Harukage pretty much destroyed our clan's savings. We cannot afford it."
    Nomi: "Happiness from monetary gifts deteriorate very quickly. That's not a good way to win people's heart. We win their heart if they trust us. Maybe we can... 'sell' our trust-worthiness to them."
    Kagetora: "Like 'we promise that we will not attack you'? That's a little suspicious..."
    Masakage: "If they do not believe us, they might actually attack us first!"

Maoko the housekeeper suddenly takes another step forward. She is now right in front of Kagetora. A lady in her mid 30s, she witnessed Kagetora's birth and was his primary caregiver for his first seven years of life. Kagetora feels safe when Maoko is around.

Maoko: "My lord mentions a promise that can be sold and delivered? We can do that."

Kagetora: "Oh? How?"
    Maoko: "In Sengoku Jidai, clans often have to march armies through someone else's territory. And they have to pay for the right of military access. If I allow your army to pass through my territory, I give you my full trust. So in a way, trust is sold by means of military access."
    Kagetora: "Hm... so we allow someone else's army to park right below Kasugayama Castle?"
    Masakage: "And take a tour to the Tensho (top fortress, where this meeting is taking place)"?
    Maoko: "Well, they still have to apply for it. We won't just allow anybody to come into the Tensho and use our bathroom."

Masakage: "But... if they apply for it, we have to grant permission as long as the request is reasonable, right? To some extent this is an unequal treaty..."
    Kagetora: "Hm... what would Bishamonten do? Would he agree to bear the insult of an unequal treaty?"
    Nomi: "What's unequal in the deal if both sides believe it is fair? What do you have to be afraid if you trust someone enough? The military access is sold with a reasonable price for our firm promise and convenience. If they offer a low price, we could refuse to sell. If they do not want to buy, we do not force them. If their army comes and plots treachery, we PUNISH THEM!"

Nomi's face instantly turns red when she thinks about "Bishamonten sends little devils to hell". Must be a very hot place.

Kagetora: "Hm... sure. I guess we will have to trust our emissaries to negotiate a reasonable deal. Hm... who is good with diplomacy in the Nagao clan?"

Maoko: "The Nagao clan are packed with good warriors, but unfortunately with few diplomatic talents so they frequently make our guests angry, like making fun of their names and tell inappropriate jokes in front of ladies. Besides, my lord, diplomacy is the job of the clan leader. An emissary only speaks the clan leader's mind. Please let me handle this in the meantime."

Kagetora: "Maoko, I mean no disrespect, but you are... a lady. Clan lords without an open mind would feel insulted if we dispatch a female emissary..."
    Nomi: "Don't underestimate women!"
    Maoko: "No worries, my lord. I shall open their mind, followed by their wallets."

Maoko reveals a confident smile. She seems to have experiences in diplomatic dealings.

Kagetora: "Thank you, Maoko. You are already busy with the clan's daily operations, and now we add this large burden onto you. You now have my full authority to represent the Nagao clan in diplomatic dealings."

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast