Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Making a God of War (Uesugi: Legednary, Domination)

War Story Recorder Senior Member Maltz's Avatar

Default Re: Making a God of War (Uesugi: Legednary, Domination)

(The HQ of the Mogami Clan: Yamagata Castle, Province of Uzen)

Under fire-red shiny armor, Mogami Yoshimori leans forward on his little foldable chair. In front of him kneels a courteous emissary in a modest but formal dress.

Maoko: "Lord Yoshimori. The new Acting Guardian of Echigo, lord Nagao Kagetora, dispatches me to bring Nagao clan's sincere blessings. We hope that Nagao and the Mgami clans' friendly relationship would continue to develop."

Mogami Yoshimori: "HAHAHA... but why does he send a woman? Did all Nagao emissaries die from the fued of brothers?"

Maoko: "Lord Yoshimori lives your reputation - always directly to the point. Indeed, Echigo has suffered from years of rebellions and proverty. We have lost a lot of men. Now women are in charge of most household."

Yoshimori: "Oh, I see. Sorry to hear that. So how would Nagao want to maintain a friendly relationship with Mogami? You cannot just tell us that you like us."

Maoko: "Exactly. Lord Yoshimori, we propose to the Mogami clan a chance to prosper."
    Yoshimori: "Sure, tell me more."

Maoko: "Mogami's Ugo is famous for its granite. The upper-class women in Echigo love granite counter-top. If it is pretty, they pay without price negotiating. Mogami can sell these beautiful stones to Echigo for good profit."

Yoshimori: "Hm... but last year I asked Kagetora's brother, Harukage, to sign a trade deal with us, but he never responded."
    Maoko: "Yes, he was a slacker. That's why we disposed him. "
    Yoshimori:

Maoko: "I mean Lord Yoshimori, now Echigo is pretty much run by ladies. Our daimyo's chief bodyguard is a lady. The emissary in front of you is a lady. Later on we will have a nun from Rizenji. Soon I will look for a wife for Lord Kagetora. So please, trust me."

Yoshimori: "Well... hm, you sound sincere. And there is indeed good profit for Mogami. Why not? I will sign the trade deal with you."
    Maoko: "But the problem is that Echigo has no specialty product to sell to Mogami. The trade will be one-sided."
    Yoshimori: "Yeah that's true. An unequal trade does not last long. Hm..."

So what would be the equal trade?

Maoko: "Besides, there are a lot of bandits in the northeast. Right now Nagao does not have the manpower to guard the trading wagons. So Lord Yoshimori will have to guard the cargo with Mogami soldiers to the Kasugayama Castle."

Yoshimori: "That's not a problem. It is our goods and our profits. But... would you allow our army to enter your territory?"
    Maoko: "Hm... how about this. We sell military access to Lord Yoshinari at a very discounted price. This way, our trades are quite equal, and Mogami has full trust from Nagao. Isn't that a good way to improve our relationship?"
    Yoshimori: "Hm... strategic safety from one side sounds good, so I can concentrate on Date. How much do you ask for?"

Maoko: "How much would Lord Yoshimori sell military access for?"

Yoshimori: "If to Nagao? Hm... we are at good terms. 500 koku per season?"
    Maoko: "Sure. We give you a special discount. 40%. 300 koku per season."
    Yoshimori: "Eh... I meant to say 400 koku per season to Nagao. So can you give me 240 koku per season?"
    Maoko: "Lord Yoshimori - women are not stupid. Please don't do this to me. Besides, Lord Kagetora already told me the bottom price. I cannot offer you whatever discount you want..."

Suddenly, Maoko lowered her voice.
    "240 koku is higher than the bottom price. Lord Yoshimori, my husband just died from war. He is still lying there, without a coffin."

Yoshimori: "OH~~~ I see. How about 10 koku for the burial? That should be more than enough. You tell me the bottom price, and we have a deal, OK?"
    Maoko: "I have two kids at 7 and 8. One is physically challenged and the other mentally..."
    Yoshimori: "I am so sorry... 20 koku, ok?"
    Maoko: "My parents just suffered a stroke and now has to rely on manual feeding."
    Yoshimori: "OK, OK. I have 57 koku worth of silver on me. You can take them all. How's that?"
    Maoko: "200 koku per season, for 23 seasons. 10 seasons of non-aggression afterward."
    Yoshimori: "Deal!"
    Maoko: "Thank you, Lord Yoshimori!"

Maoko: "Lord Kagetora, we signed a trade deal with Mogami. Sold 23 seasons of military access for a total of 4657 koku. They will pay the full amount by autumn."
    Kagetora: "This is good! We now have the budget to expand the costal village, pave the roads in Echigo, and more! Please keep going!"

Member thankful for this post:

(Katsurao Castle, Murakami Clan's HQ)

Murakami Yoshikiyo just suffered a defeat by Takeda Harunobu (he won't become Shingen until 1559). He sat on the little bench with a long face. The emissary politely kneels down as usual.

Murakami Yoshikiyo (村上義清)

Born in 1501. Famous for his fierceness in battles, Murakami Yoshikiyo forms an alliance with other Shinano daimyos against the invasion of Takeda, and had a rare feat of defeat them twice, but still lost in the end. In history, Murakami Yoshikiyo fled Shinano to become a general of the Uesugi (originally Nagao) clan in Echigo, and is well respected in the Uesugi clan. He killed Takeda Harunobu's famously capable brother, Takeda Nobushige, in the Fourth Battle of Kawanakajima.

Murakami Yoshikiyo: "What? A female emissary is here to insult me?"
    Maoko the Housekeeper: "Lord Yoshikiyo, I am a lady, but I am also the housekeeper of Kasugayama castle. I am in charge of many important issues, such as new clan officer recuirtment and dilemma situations. My presence here shows that Lord Nagao Kagetora shows full respect of Murakami."
    Yoshikiyo: "OK... So what does the housekeeper has to say?"
    Maoko: "My master, Lord Kagetora has untied Echigo, and he is about to attack Jinbo in Etchu. But Murakami and Jinbo are allies. My lord sends me here to inform Murakami about this."
    Yoshikiyo: "So are you going to attack Shinano next?"
    Maoko: "Lord Yoshikiyo, please read this secret letter."

Maoko the housekeeper reaches into her clothes and retreived an evenlope.
    Murakami Yoshikiyo takes a good look at the envelope - it was sealed with golden wax.
    And when he opens the letter, he sees red ink. This must be an important letter written from one daimyo to another.

"Kagetora san(Mr.),

Glad to learn about your rule in Echigo.
    May you work with us Takeda.
    Takeda advances north to hold Shinano and Hida, while
    Nagao advances west to hold Etchu and Noto.
    The two clans would remain friends.

Regards,
    Takeda Harunobu"

Yoshikiyo: "Takeda Harunobu, you SOB! Don't trust him, he will attack Echigo as soon as he has Shinano!"
    Maoko: "That sounds very familiar. My master Kagetora always holds a good intention toward Murakami, so we do not want Murakami to suffer from this treacherous plot. That's why we present this letter to Lord Yoshikiyo."
    Yoshikiyo: "So what does the Nagao want to do?"
    Maoko: "We have no intention to invade other clans."
    Yoshikiyo: "Oh? That's rare. So Nagao will not join Takeda's side?"
    Maoko: "We do not want to invade other clans, so we do not want to join an invasion."
    Yoshikiyo: "Sounds noble. So how about Nagao and Murakami join force and defend against Takeda?"
    Maoko: "But Takeda has two powerful military allies - Hojo and Imagawa. Nagao might be busy with Hojo should they expand north. Then Nagao will not have enough army to help Murakami in Shinano."
    Yoshikiyo: "So how would you agree to aid Murakami?"
    Maoko: "How about this? We Echigo warriors are not afraid of battles. We simply are not rich enough to support two armies. So if Murakami agrees to pay for some of our expenses, we will be able to dispatch more men to Shinano."
    Yoshikiyo: "Sure. How much do you ask?"
    Maoko: "Why don't Lord Yoshikiyo name a price? The more aid we receive, the more men we can dispatch."
    Yoshikiyo: "Shinano is not very rich, either. How about 4000 koku for five years of military assistance?"
    Maoko: "I know Lord Yoshikiyo is a man of honor, and does not start with an unreasonable request just for bargain's sake. That's it. 4000 koku for five years. If Takeda invades Murakami in the next years, Nagao must send help! And even if we cannot reach Shinano in time, we will restore clan Murakami!"
    Yoshikiyo: " Don't jinx us. Echigo to Shinano is less than one month's march apart."
    Maoko: "Somebody tells me it takes half a year?"
    Yoshikiyo: "WHAT? Did they crawl?"
    Maoko: "Anyway, this is our promise. Let's sign a formal treaty."
    Yoshikiyo: "Sure. Let me find the right form... hm..."

Murakami Yoshikiyo attempts to locate the "Miliatry Assistance" form in his cabinet.
    But he can't find it.

Yoshikiyo: "That's odd... those form have run out? I have lots of Peace Treaty or asking for Trade Embargo forms... who would do treacherous stuff like that..."
    Maoko: "How about Military Access? The offer of military access is a guarantee of Nagao's assistance!"
    Yoshikiyo: "Oh? You just give military access away just like that? Nagao Kagetora sounds like a trustworthy person. OK then!"

Maoko: "Lord Kagetora, the Murakami clan has generously offered 3945 koku, paid in full amount in three seasons. But we have to assist them to defend against Takeda Harunobu's invasion."
    Masakage: "WHAT? Did you just promise them that without asking us?"
    Maoko: "Hey, we are talking about Takeda Harunobu! It would be a major disappointment if we do not fight a huge battle with him."
    Masakage: "That's true... opponents like Nagao Harukage are not exciting."
    Nomi: "Takeda Harunobu seems to be a truly worthy enemy. I want to fight him! If there is a chance when two armies meet in the battlefield, please allow me to challenge him personally!"
    Kagetora: "Wait a second... who is Takeda Harunobu?"
    Maoko: "Takeda Harunobu, "the Tiger of Kai". He is a famous strategist and expansionist. His clan expands like a wild fire, consuming everything - eventually foes and friends alike. Takeda will certainly invade Echigo if he holds Shinano."
    Kagetora: "Hm... sounds like a warmongering nut to me."
    Nomi: "A very tough warmongering nut."
    Kagetora: "Anyway, if the warmonger attacks us after we defeat Jinbo, we should have the army to face Takeda. OK... thanks for Maoko's effort! Please continue!"

Note 1: From now on, I will not introduce secondary characters on the first page, but only at the time they first appear in the story (for a significant rule). This way the first page will not be cluttered with character information.

Note 2: The first deal with Murakami is worth 3945 koku. The rest (2198 koku) will be mentioned later in the story.

(Kurokawa Castle, Fukushima, Ashina Clan's HQ)

Maoko: "Is Lord Ashina Morikiyo in the castle?"
    Gateguard: "Lord Morikiyo is leading an army to fight Satake. He won't return until a few days later. Please stay at the emissary's hotel."
    Maoko: "I see..."

(the Embassy)

The hotel is called "The Embassy", but actually Maoko has to share a tiny room with three other emissaries.

Maoko: "Greetings. Since we are in the same profession and fate brings us to share this little room, why don't we open our hearts and share information? Maybe we will see each other again later in our respective castles. I will start with Nagao. We Nagao clan wishes to become a clear stream in the murky waters of Sangoku Jidai. We are here to promote friendship between Ashina and Nagao. So what is your purpose here?"

Date's emissary: "Greetings. Our lord wishes to marry Miss Yaya."
    Satomi's emissary: "HUH? Our lord also wishes to marry Miss Yaya."
    Hojo's emissary: "WHAT? Our lord wishes to marry Miss Yaya, too!"
    Date's emissary: "How dare you even imagine this?"
    Satomi's emissary: "Your daimyo is so ugly. He can't be serious."
    Hojo's emissary: "Who can compare to our lord, 'The Lion of Sagami'?"
    Satomi's emissary: "We will turn it to 'The TenderLoin of Sagami!"
    Hojo's emissary: "You want a war huh? I will make up something so you get one!"

The other three emissaries are now literally holding each other's throats.

Maoko: "Stupid men... Ah please don't fight! We are diplomatic staff! We never say what's really in our mind! Let's clam down... who is Miss Yaya?"

Satomi's emissary: "You don't know? Miss Yaya is the most beautiful woman in northeastern Japan."
    Date's emissary: "If I can hold her hand, I will not wash my hands for a year..."
    Hojo's emissary: "If I can kiss her, I can die from a heart attack."

Maoko: "The most beautiful woman in northeastern Japan? Is she in Kurokawa Castle now?"

Date's emissary: "She is the daimyo's daughter, so she must be?"
    Satomi's emissary: "But we cannot see her even if we are emissaries."
    Hojo's emissary: "You might get a chance since you are a woman..."

Maoko: "Is this where Miss Yaya lives?"
    Servant: "Yep. And you are?"
    Maoko: "This is my card. Nice to meet you.

Yamamura Sadako (山村貞子)
    Emperor Go-Nara's Special Beauty Pageant Head Commissioner (後奈良天皇御前一品名媛選拔專人)

Servant: "Oh... miss Yamamura. WOW! You are a high officer from the Imperial Palace?"
    Yamamura Sadako: "Yes. It is my pleasure to meet you. Here are some silver that is worth 5 koku, a little gift from Kyoto. Please introduce Miss Yaya to me."
    Servant: "Long live the Emperor! I will show the way!"
    Sadako: "Thank you. Oh, yes. I was passing through the embassy and heard that a few emissaries want to propose to Miss Yaya for their daimyo? But the emperor's business should take the first priority, right? Please hold them off until I am done."
    Servant: "Of course!"

Ashina Yaya (蘆名夜也)
    Born in 1525 (currently 20 years old). The daughter of Ashina Morikiyo. She is referred to as "the most beautiful woman in northeastern Japan". However, other than being beautiful, she is an average girl in everything else.

Yamamura Sadako: (Wow, she is pretty.) "Greetings, Miss Yaya. I am Yamamura Sadako. Please just call me sister Sadako "
    Ashina Yaya: "Greetings, sister Sadako. What is this Beauty Pageant in Kyoto?"

Sadako: "The Emperor wishes to hold a special Beauty Peagent contest across Japan. I am leading a group of special comissioners who are in charge of promoting the event and collecting registrations from qualified ladies. The conditions are: Age 16 and olrder, good look, good talents, good personality, no bad habits, no criminal records, never married, and never had a child without marriage. How about Miss Yaya join the contest, too? The transportation to and from Kyoto and accomodations will be fully reinbursed. Should you win the contest, you can expect to marry at least a level-3 ranked high officer, maybe even the next Emperor!"

Yaya: "Thank you, sister Sadako. May I be honest with you? I am actually an average girl who happens to have a popular look. But deep in my heart I know I am far worse comapred to many other girls. Some girls are prudent, but I frequently go on a shopping spree. Some girls are cunning, but I frequently draw blanks and have no idea of what people talk about. Some girls are polite, but I speak my mind without thinking and frequently cause awkward situations. I know I don't have a chance in this competition... Now I am 20 years old, so I just want to find a reliable man to settle down. I cannot dream about being the wife of a high officer or even the Queen of Japan."

Sadako: "How humble Miss Yaya is. To tell the truth, I have seen many bad girls, the greedy, the shrewish, the ambitious... they are everywhere. That's why the divorce rate climbs so high... to 2% now. The men are not better! Many hold no manner, no ideal, no determination, no respect for wives... that's why I expelled my useless huband!"

Yaya: "What a determination! Does sister Sadako have any recommendation for picking the right husband? I heard there are some emissaries here in Kurakawa Castle. Maybe my father will pick one of their daimyos..."

Sadako: "I think the best husband is one who not only holds an good ideal, but also follows it in his every step. Didn't the Buddha say "matching the goal and the way is greatness"? This kind of man would be the most reliable."

Yaya: "Yes. But now we are deep in the wars. Men all swallow their promises, especially those who are attracted to physical beauty, for they cannot imagine what beauty will turn into after 20 years. All they care about is young women's body. There is an old Chinese saying that "beauty brings disaster". Is my beauty a curse to me? Am I destined to marry a man who only cares about fortune and poessession?"

Ashina Yaya weeps in the arms of Yamamura Sadako.

Sadako: "Yes. If I could travel back to the past, I would never have married that bastard... he had an affair with our housemaid! What an a*ole! I shall curse him! Curse him! He will die a horrible death in SEVEN DAYS!"

Yaya: " What a terrible curse from sister Sadako..."
    Sadako: "Oh yeah. Did Yaya hear about the new clan lord of Echigo, Nagao Kagetora?"

Yaya: "The news just reached Fukushima a few days ago - he defeated his elder brother's army, right? If a man can disregard the order of brothers, this Kagetora must be just one of those terrible men out there?"

Sadako: "Actually he is not... I have a younger sister Maoko, who works in Echigo. She tells me that Nagao Kagetora is a great person. He was elected by his clan officers to replace his incompetent brother. Kagetora aims to become a righteous model in Sengoku Jidai. He is honest, selfless, considerate, observative, couragerous, and he likes to listen to criticisms. Rumor says that he is the avatar of Bishamonten, the god of war!"

Yaya: "Wow. Sounds like a rare breed! If what sister Sadako says is true... but then I am just a mortal with all kinds of weakness. How can I match to this deity-like man? And the Bishamonten would not bother thinking about getting married..."

Sadako: "Yeah... "Maybe the rumor is a little exaggerating. If Miss Yaya is interested, isn't Echigo right beside Fukushima? It is easy to see whether the rumor about Nagao Kagetora is true. I am getting back to Kyoto through Echigo anyway. We can travel together to Kasugayama Castle. My sister Maoko will accomodate you from there."

Yaya: "Thank you so much! I am 20 years old, so I do not have to report my trips to father anymore..."

Bottom right circle:
    Rizenji (Forest Spring Temple)
    Tomb of (Uesugi) Kenshin. Of course it was not there at the time of the story.

Chapter 9. Match-Making Trip

Ashina Yaya: "Hehe, sister Maoko looks just like your elder sister Sadako."
    Maoko: "I have another sister, Kawamata Kayoko. We share the same look as we were born together. But I am only a country woman, unliky my sisters. Now Echigo is beginning to prosper under the rule of Lord Kagetora!"
    Yaya: "Is Lord Kagetora inside the Kasugayama Castle now?"
    Maoko: "Yes. But he is busy with military planning during the day... there is going to be a battle with Jinbo. Let's find him in the evening. How about I take you on a tour in Echigo?"
    Yaya: "Sure!"

(Echigo, Naoetsu Port)

Yaya: "Wow, what a large construction project going on here. Why do you need such a big port?"
    Maoko: "Lord Kagetora wishes to build Naoetsu Port into the largest military port of the northern shore. A powerful navy is a must for Nagao's sea trades."
    Yaya: "Nice. There is a handsome, tall gentleman standing there. Is he Lord Kagetora?"
    Maoko: "Oh, he is Nagao Masakage. A distant cousin of Lord Kagetora and also the husband of Lord Kagetora's elder sister. Masakage is the leader of the Ueda Nagao..."
    Yaya: "So he is married? Then we don't have to be shy. Let's go chat with him, ok?"

(What a bold Miss Yaya...)
    Maoko scratches her head.

Nagao Masakage (長尾政景)
    Born in 1526. Nagao Kagetora is the right-hand man of Nagao Kagetora, as he is both the husband of Kagetora's siter, and also the leader Ueda Nagao, one of the three major Nagao families in Echigo.

Ashina Yaya: "Hey Mr. Samurai! I am Ash... Satake Yako from Hitachi. I am a distant cousin of Maoko the Housekeeper. This is my first time in Echigo. Nice to meet you!
    Nagao Masakage: "Huh? Oh? "Yes Miss Yako! what can I do for you?"
    Yako: "I want to know what you think about Lord Kagetora."
    Masakage: "Kagetora? He is quite humble, never showing arrogance. He is also considerate to his subordinates. I think it is fair to say he is a... good person?"
    Yako: "Did many girls call him a good person?"
    Masakage: "What do you mean?"
    Maoko: "Was Lord Kagetora refused by many girls before?"
    Masakage: "Never heard about that... Kagetora spent seven years in the temple and only returned three months ago. He'll probably blush when he sees a beautiful lady like you! "
    Yako: "Thank you. So how does Lord Kagetora treat you?"
    Masakage: "He is a good listener. He takes my ideas. He responds to my jokes, even the failed ones that are not really funny. What an idiot! "
    Yako: "Kagetora is an idiot?... "
    Maoko: " Maybe Lord Kagetora does not want to hurt your feeling, Lord Masakage."
    Masakage: "Yeah maybe. I am sorry. I should not criticize a good person like this. He listens to me, he is willing to learn and learns fast. He has my firm support!"
    Maoko: "Only a charismatic leader draws supports from his clan officers!"
    Masakage: "Indeed. Although I have to support him because of my wife. Hey Miss Yako. Are you free for lunch? How about we...?"
    Yako: "Oh I am sorry, I have another appointment right now and I am already late. Thank you!"
    Masakage: "Bye bye. Hope to see Miss Yako again!"
    Maoko: "Bye!"

Maoko: "What is our appointment?"
    Yako: "Haha! I am very used to being asked out for lunch or dinner. Sometimes more than 10 times in a day. I have hundreds of reasons to refuse them. This guy is already married and he still asks girls out for lunch? Maoko, you should report this to his wife."
    Maoko: "Let's not cause political trouble in the clan... OK then, I can think of another place to take you. Do you want to see road paving?"
    Yako: "Road paving? Like.. putting bricks on the road? How about something else?"
    Maoko: "But there is a person I would like you to meet..."

Usami Nomi (宇佐美乃美)
    Born in 1530. Daughter of the Lord of Biwashima (Biwa Island) Castle, Usami Sadamitsu, the founder of "Echigo-style Law of Army". As Sadamitsu has no son, Nomi becomes the successor of "Echigo-style" strategy. She is currently one of Kagetora's bodyguards.

Maoko: "Yako, may I introduce you to the acting Lord of Biwashima Castle, Miss Usami Nomi. Nomi, this is my distant cousin Satake Yako from Hitachi. I invited her to spend a few days in Echigo."
    Yako: " Pleased to meet you."
    Nomi: "Sorry, Housekeeper, Lunch break is over and we are behind schedule. Is there anything I can help quickly?"
    Yako: "Actually we have nothing important..."
    Maoko: "Ah... we know Nomi is busy. But Yako is curious about the new leader of Nagao. What is your opinion about Lord Kagetora, Nomi?"
    Nomi: "Kagetora? My father once said he had potential. We hope to shape him into a 'God of War' that everybody loves and fears. Let's see if this day will come."
    Yako: "God of War?"
    Nomi: " Actually it is just propaganda."
    Yako: "So Kagetora is a lying politican? "
    Maoko: " I think Nomi meant that daimyos in Sengoku Jidai have to look after their image. Of course Lord Kagetora will live up to that image, right?"
    Nomi: "Hm, I think Kagetora's integrity is dependable. He lived in Rizenji for seven years, under the nurture of Master Tenshitsu Koiku. He has a big heart, good intentions... What he needs is to work on military strategy. One day, he will become a good general. But whether he can be called a 'God of War', nobody knows."
    Yako: "I see. How does Lord Kagetora treat Miss Nomi?"
    Nomi: "Kagetora is quite fair to us bodyguards. Last time somebody claimed about the thick wax on the armor and he had somebody wipe it off immediately... other than that I have to observe him more to comment."
    Yako: "Actually... what I mean is... Miss Nomi is a pretty girl. You have good skins, good body build... did Kagetora ever make any hint on Nomi?"
    Nomi: "No. Kagetora does not look at girls like normal men do... as if Kagetora has absolute no interest in girls. A little weird now I think about it..."
    Yako: "Maybe Kagetora likes man more? "
    Maoko: "NONONO! We certainly have not noticed that... Kagetora would make a dependable husband!"
    Nomi: "At least he would not suddenly admit he has a bastard son somewhere else... but it is common for a clan leader to have concubines..."
    Yako: "No way! Okay, may I ask a bold question. How does Nomi feel about Kagetora?"
    Nomi: "I have taken an oath under Bishamonten to sever all my personal desires in exchange for his wisdom and courage. I see Kagetora as our leader. We discuss issues of the clan and the army. We fight side by side on the battlefield, regardless of gender."
    Yako: "Pure friendship is rare... so, what if Nomi had never taken the oath? Would you fall in love with Kagetora?"
    Nomi: [color=darkred]"Interesting question. I have never thought about it. Now since you asked... maybe? He has nothing that I hate. Okay Yako, I am sorry, I follow Buddha. I cannot think about that any further. That's it. No."
    Yako: "Yeah don't think about that in the future, either."
    Nomi: "What? Who are you and where are you from again?"
    Maoko: "Ah... thanks, Nomi! Please go ahead with the construction!"

Maoko drags away Yako in a hurry.

Yako: "Wow! Looks like Lord Kagetora is somebody! I want to know him... now! I can't wait!"
    Maoko: " He is still preparing for war. How about we visit Rizenji and see if Master Tenshitsu Koiku is there?"
    Yako: "Lord Kagetora's mentor? Sure!"

Tenshitsu Koiku (天室光育)
    Born in 1470. The 6th master of Rizenji and a famous monk of the Soto Branch of Zen Buddhism. He was the mentor of Torachiyo (Kagetora) for seven years, between age seven and forteen.

Nobody dares to lie in front of a monk master - the karma will come back and hunt them.

Ashina Yaya: "Greetings, master Tenshitsu. I have long admired your teachings of the Buddha, and I am fortunate to meet you in person today. My name is Ashina Yaya, daughter of the Ashina clan daimyo Morikiyo."

Tenshitsu Koiku: "Welcome to Rizenji, miss Ashina Yaya."

Maoko: "I am sorry, master Tenshitsu, do we have a nun server in Rizenji? Miss Yaya is still single."
    Yaya: "I am very sorry about the trouble."
    Koiku: "No problem. Munechika will join the Nagao clan tomorrow morning, but she is still with us tonight. Do you have any other concern, Munechika?"

Munechika: "One can cultivate Buddhism while serving the Nagao clan, or serving a guest of Rizenji. It does not matter. Actually this lady arrives at the best time possible. We have finally received 500 koku of funding from Kasugayama Castle, so the cups, pajama, pillars and linens are all new. You are the first user."

Munechika beams a modest smile to Ashina Yaya.

Cool breeze quietly sneak into Rizenji through its slightly opened bamboo-paper windows.
    Master Tenshitsu Koiku and Maoko the Housekeeper treat their guest from Fukushima with the tea grown right on Kasugayama and its own spring water. A lingering comfort in the throat.

Yaya: "Master Tenshitsu is Kagetora's mentor for seven years. What type of person was Kagetora?"
    Koiku: "Oh... I remember he was a crying boy when he came in. He knew what he liked, but he refused to compromise. Maybe he was spoiled by his previous care-giver."

Maoko:
    Yaya: "So he was emotionally unstable? Do you think he would be an abusive husband?"

Koiku: "Quite the opposite, actually. Kagetora was very stable, or stubborn if I may call it. But he was not like other boys who was stubborn at getting his favorite toys or activities. He was stubborn about finishing his goal. For example, if I asked him to sweep the floor, he kept sweeping until he finished it. When he readsbooks, he did not take a break before finishing a chapter or a plot. He could recall the entire Tale of Genji from his memory. Maybe he lived in that time in his past life? Hahaha..."

Yaya: "I see... anything special about Kagetora when he was here?"

Koiku: "Kagetora had Buddhists' wisdoms. I am not talking about conventional intelligence that he could learn things fast and found associations between threads. I am referring to Kagetora's ability to understand the philosophy of Buddha. He got enlightened easily. He treated the weak with sympathy and patience. He did not hold the value that people are born into different classes, or people are above other life forms - but that everybody, every life should be equal. Don't be fooled by the fact that he is only fifteen - maybe people never realize those although they call themselves Buddhists for many more years. For some time, I thought I could pass this temple to Kagetora. But he had a greater calling."

Yaya: "Wait a second, master. How old is Kagetora?"
    Koiku: "Fifteen years old."
    Yaya: "And I am already twenty. Why was I born so early? "
    Maoko: " Kagetora has finished his adulthood ceremony... he is legally an adult."

Tenshitsu Koiku is an old monk who had seen many things in this world. He easily figures out what's going on.

Koiku: "Kagetora? Hm, I suppose whoever marries him will live in peace and harmony. But to tell the truth, I have never seen Kagetora showing any interest in woman. He simply did not think about it. So maybe... I am a monk, I cannot talk further."
    Yaya: "Platonic love?"

Koiku: "Miss Ashina, please allow an old monk to be a little frank. If you wish to find a good husband, there are still plenty out there. I can help you find one with a better-matching age. However, Kagetora is not just fine man. He has something very, very rare. Kagetora does not have Lady Usami Nomi's burst of confidence, but he influences people in a subtle way. Kagetora does not tell an endless stream of jokes like Lord Nagao Masakage, but people feel at ease when being with him. While all other people's traits may facilitate the teaching of the Buddha, Kagetora somehow makes people realize what Buddhism really is about. So, maybe he IS the avatar of Bishamonten? If Miss Yaya and Kagetora do become a couple, please do not create trouble for him. If he has a great purpose lying ahead, his human lifespan would be too short to be wasted on mundane complaints or quarrels between husband and wife."

A long moment of silence follows Tenshitsu Koiku's speech.

Yaya: " Thank you, master. I cannot be an enemy of Buddhism. I cannot match Kagetora's greatness. I can only regret that I did not study hard and better control my shallow desires..."

Ashina Yaya's tears poured down her eyes. Beauty is skin deep.

Maoko: "AHAHAH... Girls are more mature than boys, right? And you are five years older. No problem! Master Tenshitsu, right?"
    Koiku: "Er... Miss Yaya seems to show true emotion all the time. This is a good trait for a Buddhist! I have seen a lot of Buddhist couples. In Japan even monks marry and have kids. There is always a work around. "
    Yaya: " Master Tenshitsu speaks as if I am already married to Kagetora! What if Kagetora tells me I am a good girl and dumps me? I would hang myself here!"
    Koiku: "It looks like I have stirred too much unecessary thought for Miss Yaya, and she is now tortured by her unecessary thoughts. Ts Ts Ts, I have paved a hell with good intentions."

Members thankful for this post (2):

Standing on the top balcony of the Kasugayama Castle, Ashina Yaya and Maoko enjoy a fantastic view of the Seki river plain. The setting sun is now hidden behind the mountains. Yet it is still bright enough for them to see workers returning home from the water-filled rice field. They are here for the improved irrigation, which increases the productivity of Echigo's farms.

The meeting room of Kasugayama castle is located in the middle of the Tensho, where Nagao Kagetora lives. The meetings room features a few large shelves full of military history, strategies, and terrain maps. Kagetora is studying, with two large red candles burning on the side.

Yaya and Maoko watch from outside the window.

"A concentrated man has the most charm. And he indeed looks charming!"
    Sparks jump out of Yaya's eyes.

"How about we chat with Kagetora for a while?"
    "Just a second! Sister Maoko, is my make-up intact? How about my hairs?"
    "You look good. Let's go now - Lord Kagetora sleeps early."
    "Wait! What should I talk about to give him a good impression?"
    "Er... I think he is studying military strategy. So why don't we talk about that?"
    "But I know nothing about military strategy..."
    "Don't worry, I will give you hints."

Nagao Kagetora (長尾景虎)

Born on February 18, 1530. The leader of the Nagao clan. He promised his master to become a clear stream in the Sengoku Jidai.

"Lord Kagetora! We have a rare guest in Kasugayama Castle. This is the daughter of Ashina clan's daimyo Ashina Morikiyo, Miss Ashina Yaya. She is also my fourth cousin."
    "Nice to meet you, my lord. I am very sorry to interrupt your study."
    "Oh, not at all. Please take a seat on the mat! I happen to encounter some obstacles in my study, and wish to gain some inspirations from discussing with someone."

The three sat by the table, which has a few maps of Japan laying on top.

"What is troubling Lord Kagetora?"
    "Tomorrow I need to discuss with the clan officers about my vision of the clan in the future years. So I need to be prepared for it."
    "Such an important study... May I serve you some tea?"
    "How can I let a guest do that? And I will have trouble falling asleep if I drink tea after lunch. I have a few plans for the future in mind..."
    "Yes. Let's talk about them."

Chapter 10. Plan of Expansion

Kagetora: "The first plan that comes to my mind is to expand toward the northeast. If the Nagao clan has the entire northeastern Japan, we will be able to expand steadily toward the southwest. There will be few armies required, so there will be less pressured on the clan's finance, and we can invest further in infrastructure."
    Yaya:
    Maoko: "Yeah. Minimizing the need for defence is crucial. Ideally, all armies are assigned on a certain campaign, not just a defensive role."
    Kagetora: "But as we know, we will have a lot of ground to cover in the northeast, and not so many people live there. The expansion will be quite slow. Yet there aren't any particularly powerful clan in the northeast. So this is a slow but sure plan."
    Maoko: "Yes. A stable and prosperous 'backyard' builds the foundation of a powerful clan. Isn'y it right, Miss Yaya?"
    Yaya: "May I have a question?"
    Kagetora: "Of course, please."
    Yaya: "My geography is not very good... where is the Ashina clan?"
    Maoko: "Let's discuss the next plan."
    Kagetora: "It is such an embarrassment to discuss this in front of Miss Ashina. I am very sorry."

Since Ashina's territory Fukushima is part of northeastern Japan, this plan implies that Nagao will have to somehow get rid of Ashina.

Yaya:
    Kagetora: "Actually, I did not like this plan for many reasons. First, we just signed a long-term trade and military access deal with the Mogami clan. We have no excuse to suddenly attack them. The Honma clan on Sado island helped my father to return to Echigo, so I cannot simply invade Sado island like an ungrateful bastard. Finally, we are very friendly with the Ashina clan, as Miss Yaya can testify."
    Maoko: "Yeah. Lord Kagetora wishes to follow the righteous path. Betraying people's trust is the complete opposite."
    Yaya: "Oh! So Ashina clan is in the northeast? Please do not attack us."
    Kagetora: "Nagao will not. I hope that Nagao's friendship with Ashina would last a long time."
    Yaya: "Is it possible to further improve our clans' relationship through marriage?"
    Kagetora: "That's certainly possible."
    Yaya:

Kagetora: "The second plan is to expand west toward the Honganji-controlled Hokuriku region, including Echizen and Kaga, with the goal to eventually convert Jodo Shinshu Buddhists there. This plan will enable Nagao to own a good number of sea ports and to trade with other clans. The fertile farmland in Kaga and Echizen will help our food production tremendously."

Yaya again looks at Kagetora with admiring eyes.

Maoko: "Makes sense. Jodo Shinshu has been a bitter enemy of the Nagao clan for at least three generations. Their religious doctrine is shallow; their followers are radical. They are usually called a 'mutant' of Buddhism, or not really Buddhism at all. As a follower of Zen Buddhism, we almost have a responsibility to get rid of these deviants."

Kagetora: "I understand why people think so... Honganji makes a strong appeal among the lower class, and the lower class are already hated and disgusted, aren't they? If we simply hate them, wouldn't this make us just like one of them? When I was in Rizenji, I once had a discussion with Master Tenshitsu..."

Yaya: "Sorry to interrupt - what is Jodo Shinshu? Some kind of dojo (exercise ground)?" "

Maoko: " Jodo is 'pure land', Miss Yaya. You must have heard of their rebellions as 'Ikko-Ikki', meaning 'rebellions from people with a unity of mind'. Jodo Shinshu is a branch of Buddhists who believe that reciting 'Namo Amitaabha' alone is enough to carry one's spirit to the western paradise, the pure land, after their death."

Yaya: "Yeah, I know Ikko-Ikki! They are crazy religious zealots. Sounds too easy to be true to reach paradise like that. What if they do all kinds of bad things while reciting Namo Amitaabha?"

Maoko: "That's exactly what happens now. They even don't chant it anymore - just paint it on lanterns. And they make typos..."

Kagetora: "Well, 'bad' is in the eyes of the others. The Ikko-Ikki also think we are the bad people. The conflict between conventional Buddhism, like Zenshu (Zen), and Jodo Shinshu is now essentially a clash between the samurai noble class and the lower peasant and jobless class. As long as there is still inequality within the society, the tension will build up and eventually erupt, whether through religious rebellion or some other form of conflict. Elminating the Jodo Shinshu only bury the problem temporarily, if ever possible."

Yaya: "Sorry, can you explain this with easier words?"
    Maoko: "Miss Yaya must be tired from all the tours we had today."
    Kagetora: "Let's not bore Miss Yaya with this..."
    Maoko: "So my lord wishes to maintain peace with Honganji?"

Kagetora: "If possible. Besides, this is not a very long-term plan. While defeating Ikko-Ikki might not be that difficult if we act quickly, once we reach Echizen, Nagao's territory will be stetched very long, almost in the shape of a dragon."

Yaya: "How great - the Dragon of Hokuriku!"

Kagetora: "Thanks, Miss Yaya. But this will leave us very vulnerable to multiple wars at the same time. And we will have to leave a significant army to defend while working on our next expansion targets. If we are unlucky, we will be stuck with constantly defending against invasions. I cannot let luck decide our clan's future."

Maoko: "Indeed. Honganji will not let us go easily - we will have to leave a heavy garrison in Kaga and Echizen. This further slows down our future campaign. Hokuriku is a hot potato. Isn't it, Miss Yaya?"

Yaya: "I... I know how to make potato salad..."

Kagetora: "Since we are both under Buddhism, I hope to avoid war with Honganji as much as possible. I believe peaceful co-existence works better for everyone's benefit. Hatred and revenge is a never-ending painful cycle."

Maoko: "I am afraid that Honganji does not think like my lord. They have a bad record..."

Note: Honganju (本願寺) is the main temple of Jodo Shinshu, located in Settsu province at the time but sadly is completely omitted in the TW:S2 game. As Nagao can be referred to as Kasugayama Castle, Jodo Shinshu is referted to as Honganji.

Kagetora: "The third plan is to expand south, all the way into Kanto and the sea. Didn't our officers warn about the alliance of Takeda-Hojo-Imagawa? If we allow them to grow, there is going to be trouble for Echigo. It will not be easy to challenge three clans at the same time. But again, if we act fast and smart, it is not impossible."

Maoko: "This could be a little more difficult than the other plans. But it shouldn't be a problem for my lord."
    Yaya: "My lord Kagetora can handle three on the battlefield? But please handle only on woman at home, ok?"
    Maoko: "Miss Yaya..."
    Kagetora: "Actually we do not have to think Takeda-Hojo-Imagawa differently. Any clan could be our enemy. If we defeat them, our new neighbors will be our new potential threat..."
    Maoko: "That's true. Good allies are hard to find in Sengoku Jidai."

Kagetora: "And if we simply declare war on these three clans and attack relentlessly in the name of 'pre-emptive strike on a potential threat', what does it separate us apart from a warmongering expansionist like Takeda Harunobu?"
    Maoko: "Yeah. These hypocrites should be ashamed of themselves!"

Kagetora: "And like the previous plan, or even worse, we will be vulnerable to multiple wars at the same time. We will be constantly losing ground and taking them back... many wars and miseries upon the people. This is simply not right. I don't want to walk this path."

Maoko: "Yep. This is too chaotic to make a good story for our next generations. Right? Miss Yaya?"
    Yaya: "The Ashina clan can handle the east side for Nagao!"

Kagetora: "As in a military alliance? If Ashina focus on Satake and Satomi... yeah, Ashina will be our best ally."
    Maoko: "(Sounds like a long shot...) But what if Ashina runs out of province to attack one day?"
    Kagetora: "Hm... maybe we have to meet Ashina on the battlefield when that day comes."

Yaya: "Please don't! Kagetora, please do not pick this plan. Please!"

Kagetora: "I hope not. But the above three plans are all I could think of. None is perfect... It will be the best if we do not expand at all, right?"

Maoko: "Then we are just waiting to be overpowered..."
    Kagetora: "I hope I will not live long enough to see that day."
    Yaya: "Lord Kagetora, please do expand and live a long life!"
    Kagetora: " What would Bishamonten do? The dynasties are nothing but passing clouds of the sky. Only the spirits of Buddha remain. Why shall we bother expanding?"
    Maoko: "For the happiness of all staff of the Kasugayama Castle!"
    Yaya: "For the well-being of your future family!"
    Kagetora: "Yeah, of course."

Kagetora made an embarrased smile.

Yaya: "Lord Kagetora, I have an unrelated question..."
    Kagetora: "Sure."

Yaya: "I have seen many statues of Bishamonten, the God of War. But why does he hold a tower in his hand? Does the tower have any use for battles? Like... storing dead enemies' ashes?"

Kagetora: "Good question... how come I never thought about that before?"
    Maoko: "We might have literatures in the libary..."

Bishamon Tenon, the chief of the four heavenly kings, has been regarded as the God of War in Japan since the religion's arrival 1000 years ago.

Maoko the Housekeeper guides Kagetora and Yaya through Kasugayama Castle's book vault. They retrieved a few old Buddhism sciptures, translated by monks during Tang Dynasty (618-907AD) of China. Kagetora flips through the pages carefully, as the literature is literally falling apart.

Kagetora: "Interesting. Interesting. Bishamonten is not really a God of War."
    Yaya: "He does not exist?"

Kagetora: "Bishamon is a sound translation from Hindu. But his name means "The Knowledgable", Tamon (多聞) as he frequently listened to Buddha's lectures. He is a God of Knowledge."
    Yaya: "So he uses the tower to store his lecture notes?"

Kagetora: "While the Holy Halberd on his left hand symbolizes his ability to defeat evil, the tower on his right hand is a Tower of Fortune. He also delivers fortune to the needed. He is a God of Fortune, too. Most people worship the God of Fortune due to their greed. But the Tower of Fortune only opens for those in need."
    Maoko: "What such versatility and kindness, he deserves to lead the other three!"

Yaya: "So... if what people say are true, the Lord Kagetora is an avatar of Bishamonten, Kagetora must have all the world's knowledge and fortune to pass it to people. Is it right?"

Kagetora: "AH..."

Kagetora feels dizzy, as he suddenly had a trance of realization. This is enlightenment. This is his destiny.

Kagetora: "Miss Yaya, you must be a Bodhisattva (enlightened and compassionate savior) on earth. You have shown me a great path of life!"
    Maoko: "What is it, my lord?"

Kagetora: "The key of leading a clan is not just about war, but also knowledge and fortune. This is where the Nagao clan is heading! We cannot be satisfied with knowledge of Echigo, but also the entire Japan and its surrounding countries. We cannot be satisfied with the port and farms of Echigo, but also all other means to increase our fortune - not for our personal gain, but for all those in need!"

Maoko: "To learn about foreign countries and earn a fortune? Must be Foreign Trade! Right, Miss Yaya?"
    Yaya: "Can a Bodhisattva marry a Tenon?"
    Maoko:

Note: The educated in Japan at the time could read and write Chinese, pretty much like medieval Europeans could communicate in Latin - although some words may have slightly different meanings and variants.

Yaya: "Aren't there lady Bodhisattva?"
    Maoko: "Yes. There are many Bodhisattva. They are willing to help and enlighten the others. For this purpose, some may decide to marry."
    Yaya: "So they can marry an avatar of a deity?"

Kagetora: "Sure, they can. Housekeeper, did you mention foreign trade? What is it about?"
    Maoko: "Please let me explain.

(1) Great Ming: Silk Trade

Shiny, soft, and durable, Chinese silk is a prized luxury of the world. The silk road has existed for more than a thousand years to export Chinese silk to Europe. We will have to obtain Great Ming's official trader certification. Then we will be the only vender of Chinese silk in Japan.

Kagetora: "Sounds good. What can we trade with Great Ming?"
    Maoko: "Well, Japan is full of volcano activities. We have sulfur and copper."
    Kagetora: "Good!"

(2) Great Ming: Cotton Trade

Cotton is not as luxurious as silk, but it is the most practical clothing material for its softness and air permeability. Everybody can afford cotton. China has been cultivating cotton since Song Dynasty (960-1276 AD). We can negotiate cotton trade at the same time as silk trade.

Kagetora: "Nice! But how come all I hear about is Korean Cotton Trade?"
    Maoko: "Strangely everybody thought it is Korea cotton... I double checked - cotton is not grown in Korea, which is famous for Ginseng (human-shaped roots of certain plants)."
    Yaya: "I heard Ginseng is good for health! We should import Korean Ginseng!"

(3) Southern Ocean: Incense Trade

Incense is burned daily in temples and many upper-class household. Widly cultivated from a distant continent, incense reach Japan through a long sea trade route, in the hands of traders of island nations in the south. If the Nagao caln becomes the sole supplier of incense throughout temples of Japan, we will naturally receive some extra supports from temples.

The above three are the most profitable foreign trades.

Kagetora: "This is great! How much income do they add up to?"
    Maoko: "I have seen some records... minus the maintenance fee of the trade fleet and variations of trade route, they add up to 5,000 to 10,000 koku per season."
    Kagetora: "Wow. That's 3 to 6 times of how much we make."

Maoko: "The majority of Nagao's income come from our families' own farms and businesses, which are unrelated to taxing the population. If we only compare tax income and foreign trade, the above foreign trade is equivalent to 10 to 20 provinces of tax income! There is more than how much the Emperor or the Seii Taishogun (The Shogun) makes!"

Kagetora:
    Yaya: "So Lord Kagetora will become a rich, handsome, and potentially tall gentleman? You are going to grow taller in the next few years, right?"
    Kagetora: "I certainly hope so... So why don't we establish those trades as quickly as possible?"
    Maoko: "There is a big problem..."
    Kagetora: "What is it?"
    Maoko: "All those trade routes pass through southwestern Japan. They are very far from Echigo."
    Kagetora: "That's true. If we use Echigo's port, we are very vulnerable to raids and our ships cannot get repairs in time should they get damaged from pirates or other clan's attack. We need to control a port in southwestern Japan to carry out thsoe trades... Which one is the best?"

Maoko: "Hizen's port."

Kagetora quickly grabs a map of Kyushu and study its geography carefully.

Kagetora: "Interesting. Hizen is just like Echigo, with good ship-makers. Lands in northern Kyushu are very fertile - from there a significant portion of Japanese culture was born. I wish I can sail there... maybe with an army one day..."

Yaya: "Standing in front of the ship, feeling the sea breeze on my face with both arms open? How romantic! Can you take me with you if you go to Kyushu, Kagetora?"

Kagetora: "Sure..."

Maoko: "But how do we defend Echigo?"
    Kagetora: "Splitting the army in two places could mean losing both... Abandoning our home certainly sound crazy. What would Bishamonten do?"

Kagetora falls into deep thoughts for a moment...

"Well, I have to give it a try. Please inform all the high-level clan officers for a meeting right here, tomorrow after lunch. We will have a serious discussion about this."
    "Does Lord Kagetora have a good plan to pursuade our officers?"
    "Not really... but I will do my best."
    "Maybe I can think of something to help... For now, please take a good rest, my lord."
    "Thank you, you too."
    "Lord Kagetora, I am staying in Rizenji tonight. It is not a long walk from here. If you cannot fall asleep..."
    "Oh yes, Miss Yaya. What a pleasure to meet you. I hope that Nagao and Ashina maintain a good relationship, and we will see each other again in the future."
    "What? Is that good night and goodbye?"
    "What's wrong? Is Rizenji not treating our guest properly?"
    "Don't push me away, or I will jump down the Kasuga mountain from here!"
    "Ah... Miss Yaya. There is still tomorrow! Let's chat more when we return to Rizenji! Good night, my lord!"

"WAAAAAA~~~"
    Ashina Yaya bursts out crying as soon as she gets back to her room in Rizenji.
    She completely breaks down and rolls back and forth on her bedding mat.

Rizenji Munechika (Nun): "What's wrong with our guest? What's troubling her?"
    Maoko: "Miss Yaya, please do not disturb Master Tenshitsu's sleep..."
    Munechika: "Oh no worries, Master Tenshitsu snores like a thunder storm. Was Miss Yaya harrassed by an impolite guy? Beautiful ladies like Miss Yaya must have encountered troubles like this."
    Maoko: "Actually, she was not harrassed... Lord Kagetora was very focused on the clan's future, so he unfortunately ignored Miss Yaya."
    Yaya: "Just now in the Kasugayama Castle, my eyes were fixed on Kagetora, but he did not give me even one good look! I gave him so many hints, but he ignored me completely! WAAAA~~~"

Ashina Yaya screams in pain. Tears and waters from her nose are blurring her makeup, which is now all over the place on the new linen that Munechika just made.

Being a famously beautiful girl, Ashina Yaya is used to being the focus of men's attention. But tonight, Kagetora did not even look at her face for more than 10 seconds. The huge gap between her pink expectation and the cruel reality truly devastated this poor girl.

Munechika: "Ignored? Well... look at me. I am ugly, and my family is dirt poor. I was given to Rizenji when I was five. But then I studied the scriptures. Tomorrow I am officially Nagao clan's monk! A well-paid permenant position! "

Maoko: "A modest appearance is a blessing - it allows one to focus on what's truly important. Munechika is now a holy messenger of Buddha and gets to travel for free all year round! What a dream job to have!"

Munechika: "Thanks! Miss Yaya, passion between men and women are an obstacle of enlightenment. Please clam down and think about what will happen after marriage - for passion only last a few years at best. The Buddha only enlighten those that fate allows. A religious relationship with Buddha is what we should seek the most."

"He pushed me away! I wanna die! Give me a knife! WAAAAAA~~"
    Yaya of course has no room in her mind for Buddhist teaching now.
    She screams and rolls around on the mat, kicking and throwing pillows around the room.

Munechika: "Er... what should we do, housekeeper?"
    Maoko: "Actually I have a solution. I can stop Miss Yaya's crying and make her smile. But this method involves well-intended deception involving Lord Kagetora, the clan officers, and Miss Yaya's father. Munechika, am I allowed to do that?"

Munechika: "Deceiving is generally a bad idea, but there are exceptions. Are there serious consequences of the deception?"
    Maoko: "Seriously good, not seriously bad."
    Munechika: "Is there going to be anyone hurt or killed?"
    Maoko: "Nope."
    Munechika: "Anybody going to have a heartbreak or suffer?"
    Maoko: "Not really."
    Munechika: "Any little animals hurt, tree saplings damaged?"
    Maoko: "Probably not."
    Munechika: "Anybody who is going to regret their decision from misguided information?"
    Maoko: "Possibly not."
    Munechika: "Well, then. It seems that such deception is generallly beneficial. Why not?"

"I am not good enough for Kagetora. I will marry some nasty stinky stupid man. WAAAA~~"
    What a blow to her heart. Kagetora did not even mention she is a good person.
    If all Yaya has is beauty, and Kagetora completely ignores beauty, she is nothing but a transparent floating bubble in front of Kagetora.

Maoko: "Miss Yaya, tomorrow we will take the first step to form a wonderful marriage bond between Nagao and Ashina! Big sister Maoko will make it happen easily! But we have much to prepare tonight - there is no time to be emotional!"

Yaya: "What? Tomorrow for marriage? Is it between Kagetora and me?"
    Maoko: "Who else?"

Suddenly Yaya starts smiling with her eyes wide open!
    The blurred makeup has formed a contemporary art on her face. You can pretend you understand it.
    How could Maoko facilitate the marriage between Yaya and Kagetora, who has no interest in woman?

(Next morning, Kasugayama Castle)

About ten high-level clan officiers now sit in a circle. The first one on Kagetora's right is Nagao Masakage, head of the Ueda Nagao family. Usami Nomi sits close to the middle of the ring as the acting lord of Biwa Island Castle.

Kagetora: "I am sorry for calling this urgent meeting. But we have an important decision to make. The sooner we make up our mind, the earlier we can prepare for it. I have realized that foreign trades, namely silk and cotten trade with Great Ming and incense trade with southern oceanic countries, are critically important ways to propel the Nagao clan into prosperity. I wish to hear your opinion on this."

"Oh..."
    "Hm..."

Maybe they just had lunch not long ago, the clan officiers show little energy in their response. The decision sounds like a no-brainer anyway - if you know a way to make money, why not just go ahead?

Kagetora: "But the Naoetsu port of Echigo is too far away from foreign trade routes. Our navy will have great difficulty to resupply. In other words, the Nagao clan is going to take a port in Kyushu's Hizen province!"

"Hizen? Hahaha..."
    "That's a good one."

Nomi: "It looks like Lord Kagetora is serious..."
    Masakage: "Hm... we can't blame a clan leader to be creative and visionary. But do we have the ability to launch a campaign to Kyushu? How many ships do we need?"
    Kagetora: "We have help. Please bring in the emissary."

As the clan officers turn their head, they see Maoko the housekeeper leading an elegantly dressed lady emissary into the room. She walks in very small steps and keeps her head down. When she finally walks to the front of officers, she kneels down and bows to them. Finally, she looks up.

"WA..."
    "Angel..."
    "So beautiful..."

The clan officers exclaimed. Some regret that they got married too early.

"I've seen her..."
    "I was fooled..."

Kagetora: "May I introduce you - the emissary from the Ashina clan, daughter of Fukushima daimyo Ashina Morikiyo, Miss Ashina Yaya."

"Pleased to meet you."
    Yaya bows to the clan officers.
    She is such an eye catcher, especially with proper dress and make-up.
    She is everybody's dream lover, suitable for poster on the door and wallpaper on the window's screen.
    The clan officers are compelled to take another look at her.
    One more look. Yet another look.

"It is my honor to bring Fukushima's good wishes to Echigo. We wish that the Nagao clan will walk the path of prosperity under the leadership of Lord Kagetora. I am here to invite the Nagao clan to join Ashina in a very meaningful pursuit of fortune. As the Kyushu clans have fallen into chaos and their existing foreign trades largely ignored and abandoned, the Nagao and Ashina clan will cooperate closely in order to take over these foreign trades."

Ashina Yaya spent a long time memorizing her scripts overnight.
    But she does it quite well under the motivation of love.

"Oh... so developing foreign trade is not a random fantasy."
    "It looks like that foreign trade is an oppurtunity up for grab. Maybe there are other competitors... We have to act fast."
    "The Ashina clan produces high quality woods, and can build fine ships. But the Nagao clan trains high-quality sailors."
    "How do we cooperate?"

Yaya: "Nagao travels west along the northwestern shore while Ashina advance along the southeastern shore. Our navy will meet in Kyushu, and we share trade profits."

Masakage: "Thanks for looking at us so highly. Ashina's land is relatively rich, so you might be able to afford many ships. But Echigo will have trouble supporting a strong navy and a trading fleet..."

Yaya: "The Ashina clan is willing to contribute to Nagao's campaign on one condition: Nagao must allow Ashina to freely expand in northeastern Japan."

"Oh... an interesting strategic alliance."
    "That's why they want to talk to us, hm."
    "Is Kyushu Nagao's land for grab?"

Yaya: "Yes. All Ashina asks for is the northeast."

"Hm... so essentially we are borrowing money from Ashina. That does not sound too good."
    "How much can you lend?"

Yaya: "3500 koku. In the name of purchasing military access - you do not have to pay it back."

"Oh? Essentially a gift to Nagao?"
    "A very attractive proposal..."

Masakage: "This certainly looks good to me. We can make use of the fund and a good neighbor. What do you say, clan leader?"
    Kagetora: "We have enjoyed friendship with the Ashina clan for a long time. Cooperation benefits both. There is no reason to object."
    Masakage: "Anybody favor a campaign to Hizen with the help of Ashina?"

"Eee-Eee-Oh!"
    The clan officers agree in unison.

"Oh, no, I am so sorry, I forgot to mention the second condition."
    Yaya's face turned red all of a sudden, like a ripe apple that anybody wants a bite.

"Since this is a significant agreement between the two clans, we hope that Lord Kagetora can sign this deal in person in Kurokawa Castle."

Kagetora: "What do you all think?"
    Masakage: "There is no way we would agree if the treacherous Jinbo asks for a signing in Toyama Castle. But Ashina is a trust-worthy friend... should be all right?"
    Nomi: "Yep. There is no danger in this."

"Eee-Eee-Oh!"
    Nagao clan officers agree again.

Masakage: "But we need to prepare for an attack of Etchu. It is no big deal. I can lead the army and start marching the infantry first. Kagetora can catch up with the bodyguards later."
    Nomi: "We can handle the rest."

Yaya: "Thank you very much for agreeing with us. We will be eagerly waiting for Lord Kagetora's arrival in Kurokawa Castle."
    Housekeeper Maoko: "I will safely escort Miss Yaya back to Kurokawa Castle."

Ashina Yaya bows again, stands up, and leaves the meeting room in small steps.
    The clan officers reluctantly watch her slow exit.
    Seeing such a beautiful woman today, at least they did not climb the stairs in vain.

Ten days have passed. Nagao Kagetora arrived at the Kurokawa Castle with just a few bodyguards.
    To his surprise, the Ashina daimyo Ashina Morikiyo welcomes him at the gate.

Morikiyo: "Kagetora? OH... You have the look of a great clan leader. And to take on such an endeavor to Kyushu... you must be a very determined person. Reliable husband, right?"
    Kagetora: "Thank you, Lord Ashina. I wish our partnership last a long time. When does the signing take place?"
    Morikiyo: "Oh those diplomatic trivials... your emissary has handled that. Let's hold the great ceremony tomorrow, which is a great time according to Shinto calendar. Shall we?"
    Kagetora: "Great ceremoney? Sounds very formal... sure."

In the evening, Nagao Kagetora stays in the Kurokawa Castle. But he sensed that something is wrong. Every servant look at him as if he is some king of escaped monkey from the zoo.

"He is only 15?"
    "Looks quite mature!"
    "He is handsome!"

"My lord! I am sorry!"
    Maoko the housekeeper kneels down and grabs Kagetora's legs as soon as she enters the room.

Kagetora: "What's wrong?"
    Maoko: "There are developments that I have not reported to you before. Actually, all of this is a plot of Miss Yaya and me, in order to help Lord Kagetora to realize your Kyushu campaign."
    Kagetora: "What's the plot?"
    Maoko: "We know that the clan officers in Kasugayama Castle are too stubborn to approve my lord's Kyushu campaign. So we faked the scene during the clan meeting that morning, where Miss Yaya played the emissary and proposed the partnership between Ashina and Nagao on Kyushu campaign. In fact, the sponsorship through military access, naval cooperation were all made up."
    Kagetora: "What? How can you make this up? Clan meeting is as serious as it can be!"

Kagetora is sweating all over his hand. A new clan lord for a few months now manipulate his officers like monkeys...

Maoko: "But fortunately, although they were all made up ten days ago, now they are all real."
    Kagetora: "Real? Why?
    Maoko: "Miss Yaya pleaded to Lord Ashina Morikiyo. She had resort to the utmost sacrifice..."
    Kagetora: "Screaming non-stop? I heard some really painful screams from Rizenji that night..."
    Maoko: "More serious than that."
    Kagetora: "Threatening to jump down the mountain? She said that on the Kasugayama Castle. Quite scary..."
    Maoko: "Close! She pleaded that she would marry Lord Kagetora, so the two clans could form such a firm strategic partnership."
    Kagetora: "Marry Lord Kagetora? Marry Me?"
    Maoko: "Yes. And the great wedding ceremony is tomorrow! Congratulations!"
    Kagetora: "NOOOOOO---"

Kagetora's vision turns dark. He falls on the straw mat like a sushi fallen from chopsticks.

Kagetora: "So I come to Fukushima not to sign some partnership deal, but to get married? But I am not prepared for it! I heard that being single is a blessing, while marriage turns one into a slave of the family...'

Maoko: "That's only accurate until you have kids. I mean Lord Kagetora, Miss Yaya is the princess of the Ashina clan, a famous and respected clan in Japan. Marriage between the two clans brings fame and benefits for Nagao. Besides, Miss Yaya is extremely beautiful. She will definitely apply a bonus on my lord's desired Bishamonten image. All heroes marry beautiful women in the history."

Kagetora: "But I have no interest in bodily desires. Beauty fades away even before we reach half-way of our lives... only spirits last after we die."

Suddenly, Maoko the housekeepr stands up. She flips the table with her left hand, and points at Kagetora's nose with her right!

Maoko: "Is Kagetora such a selfish person?! Remember the sacrifice of Miss Yaya! That night on Kasugayama, she was convinced by your determination and ideals, so she made up her mind to serve you for the rest of her life! Didn't she inspire you to realize that Bishamonten is much more than winning battles? Didn't she help you draw the support of the clan? How can you treat her like an object that will fade away?"

Kagetora: "AH..."
    Kagetora is utterly ashamed of himself.

"Housekeeper, how can I face you and Miss Yaya if I cannot treat such a living Bodhisattva like a person? Can I sacrifice myself to actualize somebody else's dream? I would be honored to have a wife like Miss Yaya. I shall cherish her until the end of my life!"

Tears drip down Kagetora's cheek.

Maoko:

"Yaya, I am not tired yet. I will finish this chapter."
    "Please come now ~ you can finish it tomorrow ~"

"Yaya, did you see my Sun Tzu's Art of War?"
    "I was reorganizing the room yesterday. Some old stuff are falling apart and smelled moldy, so I threw them away."

"OH NO! I am late for my clan meeting! How come the servants did not give us morning calls?"
    "I asked them not to bother us in our sleep."

"Yaya, do we have ladies' party today? So many shoes laying by the door."
    "I went to the town today! They are on a great sale!"

"Yaya, where are all of my formal clothes? I have to deliver a speech to important clan sponsors."
    "They smell too strongly of your armpit. I sent them to wash."

"Yaya, I was in the bathroom and could not answer the door. Was it Usami Nomi?
    "I told her that you are not home. Please tell her not to intrude our private lives!"

"Yaya, my mother's birthday is tomorrow. Let's pick some good presents, ok?"
    "I know what she calls me in the back - a fox monster who have mind-controlled her son! How can she say that? She better moves to Rizenji!"

"Yaya, tomorrow I am off to a military campaign to Etchu. I will miss you."
    "Kagetora, please return safely! There is something you need to know..."
    "Yes?"
    "I have your baby, due date is next spring!"
    "Really? This is great!"

Chapter 11. Twin Dragon

The summer of Echigo flies through over a series of congestions due to contrsuction.
    The road is congested with cargo due to narrowed lanes.
    The port is congested with ships due to reduced docks.
    The farm is congested with water due to improved irrigation.
    The castle is congested with workers due to its expansion into a stronghold.

And now the green leaves have again turned yellow.
    The battle with the long-time enemy Jinbo is not far ahead.

Kagetora: "We are about to enter Etchu. My grandfather was betrayed and killed here. My father once fled Echigo to Etchu, and then returned to revenge for his father. Now I am here, too."
    Masakage: "Nagao and Jinbo share a lot of negative memories. If we don't finish off Jinbo quickly and completely, there is going to be a new addition. Let's crush them once and for all!"
    Kagetora: "But is killing the end of hatred?"
    Nomi: "If the subject of the hatred is no longer alive, there is no one that still hates."
    Kagetora: "Hatred has lived on in many forms. Even unrelated people who hear the story could carry the emotion. Besides, aren't we honestly a little afraid of Jinbo's revenge, so we are only trying to stop our own fear?"

Kagetora is not happy about such kind of answers. "An eye for an eye" is an out-dated approach that never solves the root of the problem - fear. Kagetora's understanding in Buddhism tells him that there must be a better way to deal with Jinbo. But they do not listen right now. A battle is inevitable.

Rizenji Munechika: "Lord Kagetora. I just returned from Jinbo's army. They have 600 men."

Munechika is now Nagao clan's monk (nun). Other than spreading Buddhism, she also serves as the army's eyes and sometimes the army's invisible arms. These "political monks" face a lot more danger than "temple monks" do. But Munechika still volunteered herself for the job because of the challenge and the chance to travel all over Japan. Plus, she trusts that Nagao Kagetora is not going to ask her to do anything against her values and principles.

Masakage: "Oh? So few men for Jinbo. Where did they go?"
    Nomi: "Maybe we catch them off guard. Remember that a good strategist march quickly? We defeated Harugate in the spring, and we are ready for another action in the fall. Not bad!"
    Munechika: "I have spread my lord's crushing victory in the Battle of Nagaoka, defeating 800 men with a loss of 28. Jinbo's men are definitely not looking forward to the coming battle."
    Masakage: "Yeah! Let fear consum them!"
    Nomi: "What if they are too afraid? They would hide inside the Toyama castle."
    Masakage: "Oh, then that's not good for us. We have only 160 bow ashigaru. We will have to storm the castle and take very heavy losses."
    Kagetora: "I see. So is there anyway we can convince Jinbo to fight us on the field?"

Nomi: "You don't want them to retreat into the castle? It is easy. Just remove the fear factor. We will bring less men to the battlefield."
    Kagetora: "The history is full of losing generals who look down on their enemies..."
    Masakage: "Don't look at this so negatively. Essentially, we want them to look down on us for bringing so few men, so they think they can win on the field. We know what we can do to them, but they don't. "
    Nomi: "There are also many generals in the history who won battles because of their sharp judgment and bold tactics. Don't worry, Kagetora."

Even tough Kagetora's first battle was a great success, he only had to fight his brother, who has no military talent. How about Jinbo? Two generations ago, they were so afraid that they made peace with an enemey. One generaiton ago, they were crushed in battle. Maybe they are not that tough now, either.

Kagetora: "How good is Jinbo Nagamoto in battle?"
    Masakage: "I don't think he has fought any good battles... but we are not exactly famous generals, either."
    Nomi: "We will be fine. Two generals, two units of Yari Ashigaru. That's enough."
    Kagetora: "What? Without samurai and ranged support? Our tactics will be very limited..."
    Nomi: "BAH. Battles are rarely about quantity, and only sometimes about quality. But battles almost always rely on tactics. Please allow me, the successor of Echigo-style Tactics, to show you the way!"

Nomi's father, Lord of the Biwa Island Castle Usami Sadamitsu, is a famous military strategist. Since Sadamitsu has no son, he passes all his knowledge on military tactics to his only daughter, Nomi. What tactics would Nomi suggest in this situation?

September 17th, 1545

The autumn sun makes everything look aged.
    The land of Etchu is entering yet another dormancy.
    Kagetora marches to the north side of Toyama (Mount "To"). On his right, he sees the ocean without end. On his left, he sees a gigantic mountain so much larger from the surrounding hills, just like a huge stamp dropped from heaven.

"It looks like the long-time enemies have to fight after all."
    Kagetora sighs quietly.

Kagetora: "Oh. There are two hills on the south. Wouldn't Jinbo Nagamoto hide inside one of them like Harukage did?"
    Nomi: "And leave an undefended Toyama Castle for us to march straight into? He is not that stupid. See, there is Jinbo."

Kagetora follows Nomi's direction. The Toyama castle is located at the border of the ocean and the mountains, its roof tiles shines orange and gold colors. The Jinbo army is defending on a bald hill between the Nagao army and the Toyama castle, blocking Kagetora's way to Toyama castle.

Masakage: "Ah... you are so slow. I was here before the sun came out! It looks like that Jinbo Nagamoto really hates us - this is his challenges! He wants us to charge uphill and resolve this under the sun!"
    Nomi: "Ha. If every battle is fought with two armies simply charging at each other, why do you even need a general? We will let him follow our plan instead. Let's see... we can let our ashigaru wait on this hill."

Kagetora: "So Nomi, Lord Usami Sadamitsu is the creator of 'Echigo-style' Military Doctrine. Can you tell me how does your father's 'Echigo-style' compared to other styles of military doctrine?"

Nomi's pride is written on her face.

Nomi: "Well, let's take Takeda and Hojo as a comparison. Takeda's 'Kai-style' Military Doctrine focuses on ruthless and overwhelming attacks. Hojo's 'Sagami-style' Military Doctrine steady expansion and territory conslidation. These are two extremes of one dimension. 'Echigo-style' falls into the middle in this dimension - we are slower than Takeda, but faster than Hojo."

Masakage: "Just something in the middle? Sounds quite boring..."

Nomi: "I haven't finished yet! We the 'Echigo-style' have our own dimension - the loss of manpower. We do not worry about being fast or slow, but we do everything to minimize loss. We are not focused on burning the enemy like wild fire or squeeze out the enemy like a fat man in a lift. We are flexible, adaptable, irritable, peace-able, and borderline untouchable. Under Echigo-style, our enemies are distracted, confused, disorganized, disoriented, and defeated before they could deliver much harm to us."

Masakage: "Wow! Can I become a student of 'Echigo-style?'"
    Nomi: "My father does not pass 'Echigo-style' Military Doctrine to outsiders. So I am the only successor. But you can learn from me little by little."

Kagetora: "What a great style of strategy - minimizing losses is the act of kindness and wisdom. It would be an honor of we can invite Lord Usami to become the official advisor of Nagao clan!"
    Nomi: "Unfortunately, my father has no interest in mundane politics. 'Listening to stupid kids' whine is a waste of time,' he always says. He wishes to use his limited life time to develop 'Echigo-style' to its extreme, and he did accomplish much. "Echigo-style is much more than just battles. But I only know battles..."

Nomi suddenly lost her confidence on her face. Maybe Usami Sadamitsu has other students not in the Usami family?

Kagetora: "But it would still be an honor to invite him to give guest lectures..."
    Nomi: "Sure. Being a scholar, he has to travel to some foreign country to recharge every five to six years. Last year he travelled to Great Ming (China)... he should return a few months later."
    Masakage: "What? He takes sabbatical leave?"
    Nomi: "That's why I am the acting lord of Biwa Island Castle."

Kagetora: "Wow! He is an international scholar! Is your father exchanging his military doctrine ideas in Great Ming?"
    Nomi: "Actually he is just there learning Chinese..."
    Kagetora: "It would be honor to have him with us... I read about so many great leaders in history who had good advisors. If we have your father's help..."

Oh oh, Nomi's face turns red!

"WHAT?! Are you implying that I am not good?! Let's use 'Treasure Box Opener' today!"
    "Treasure Box Opener?"

Kagetora: "What is a Treasure Box Opener?"
    Masakage: "A key?"

Nomi: "It is just a metaphor. Let me quote from Echigo-style Miilitary Doctrine: 'For a mixture of yari and bows, it is common to see bows first as the box, and yari back as treasure. During a battle, the bow goes before yari to provide cover.'"

Nomi shakes her head left and right as she recites the military doctrine.

Kagetora: "Yeah, the yari units are like treasure if they are purposely protected. So how do we open the trasure box?"

Nomi: "Two hands - one opens the box in one direction, and the other steals the treasure in the opposite direction. The hand that opens can now release the handle, for the treasure maybe be too heavy for one hand to carry at home."

Masakage: "Can you just tell me what to do?"

Kagetora: "I think what Nomi means is that Masakage and I will approach the enemy from both sies. One of us will draw the bow unit away, while the other draws out the yari unit all the way back and defeat it."
    Nomi: "Not bad! Toyama is south, the sea of Japan is north. So we will approach from both north and south."
    Masakage: "Got it! I will take the sea and draw out the bow unit. Kagetora, your father killed his father. Their yari will follow you all the way back."
    Kagetora: "Sounds good."
    Nomi: "Masakage, after Kagetora draws out their yari, you must quickly shake off the bow ashigaru and return here and command our own Yari Ashigaru."
    Masakage: "Sounds like an important task! No worries!"
    Kagetora: "We march along the hills! Yari Ashigaru, stay and wait for Masakage's command! We move out!"

The morning sun shines on Kagetora's katana, with a reflection of deep autumn's imminent passing and decay.

Kagetora and his bodyguards march in the deep forest, landing on a soft layer of fallen leaves. More red and range colors drift to the floor, right in front of Kagetora's eyes. He recalls the peace of Rizenji.

But this is all in the past. Being a clan leader, his time has to be spent in constant stress - he bears the responsibility of tens of thousands of lives.

Nomi: "Kagetora, I heard that Yaya is expecting? Congratulations! When is the baby due?"
    Kagetora: "Thank you. The baby is due next spring."
    Nomi: "Good! You know what's interesting? Your brother Harukage threw himself into women, but he had no offsprings. Kagetora has a reputation of not into girls, but you have a son immediately after marriage."

Kagetora's thought goes back to a few months ago...

Yaya: "Kagetora, do you want a baby?"
    Kagetora: "What? We just got married. Isn't it a little early to think about babies? I heard that babies make the grave of marriage."
    Yaya: "Nonsense! I want to give birth to a team of little Kagetora. The Nagao clan needs successors! More family members means more helpers!"
    Kagetora: "Successors can be adopted. I think Masakage and my sister will have a good baby."
    Yaya: "NO! I want my own baby. How about let's... work on it tonight?"
    Kagetora: "You know I need to pull my rubber bow. 1000 times each night."
    Yaya: "Don't play with the rubber toy! Play with a real person!"
    Kagetora: "It is not playing... HEY don't pull off my pants! NOOOOO~~"

Masakage: "Ha, look at that pair of black eyes! Must be some hard work at home, Kagetora. You know, we have been waiting for your approval on Kasugayama Castle's expansion project. If we don't hear from you by noon, we will have to demolish Rizenji to make room for Sake Den."

Kagetora: "I am very sorry. I will study the blueprint now."
    Masakage: "There is not much to study. Just adding two arrows towers and add some height to the walls. The main purpsoe is to get the space for a Sake Den."
    Kagetora: "Can the Sake Den be as far away from Rizenji as possible?"
    Masakage: "Don't underestimate the power of information!"

Kagetora takes a few deep breaths.
    There are now more duties on Kagetora's shoulder. He will have to spend quite a bit of his life with his wife and children, meaning he will have less sleep if he wants to be a responsible clan leader.

Nomi: "Kagetora?"
    Kagetora: "Oh yes. Yes. We decided to have kids. How about you, Nomi? Are you planning to have a family in the future?"
    Nomi: "I told you already. I took an oath under Bishamonten. I wish to receive his courage and wisdom, and for that I will forgo all of my bodily desires."
    Kagetora: "I see..."

There is no doubt that Kagetora admires Nomi's lifestyle, as a simple and focused mind could accomplish tremendous tasks. But now Kagetora has made his choice. Maybe having a family is not that bad afterall.

"Dong-Dong-Dong-"
    Suddenly, Kagetora hears drum beat from outside the forest.

Nomi: "Jinbo's Bow Ashigaru is after Masakage!"
    Kagetora: "Guards, let's move out!"

Note: In history, Uesugi Kenshin never had a wife and child. His eventual successor, Uesugi Kagekatsu, was an adopted son from his sister and Nagao Masakage.

Jinbo Nagamoto: "WHAT? Doesn't that three-umbrella sign belong to Nagao Kagetora?"

"Jinbo Nagamoto! You are no match of Nagao's army! Let's face Ikko-Ikki together like two generations before!"

Jinbo Nagamoto is suprised that Nagao Kagetora's voice sounds like a girl, probably due to his many vegetarian years in Rizenji. This deeply disgusted Nagamoto, as he cannot afford to lose to this girly opponent today!

Jinbo Nagamoto: "How dare you! Yari Ashigaru, go get him, I want him dead!"

"YAAAA!"
    The Yari Ashigaru responded to order and charged at Kagetora!

In the meantime, Masakage has shaken off the Bow Ashigaru and returned to Nagao's infantry.

Masakage: "Haha, I made it back so early... Kagetora is still far away. Hm... if I ride on the horse and charge at the yari, I would be an idiot. Guards, off the horse! One single row!"

Masakage and his guards formed one single row on top of the hill.
    He patiently awaits Kagetora's arrival - with enemies chasing his back.
    As their shoulders cross (technically, Masakage's shoulder and Kagetora's horse's shoulder), they looked at each other and smiled.

Masakage: "Soldiers of Nagao! Today we show them the Echigo-style! Charge!"

As Masakage raises his Katana, forty elite samurai leade the three-way charge downhill!

The front row of Jinbo's ashigaru has to face the unstoppable charge from Masakage's bodyguards!

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast