Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Making a God of War (Uesugi: Legednary, Domination)

War Story Recorder Senior Member Maltz's Avatar

Default Re: Making a God of War (Uesugi: Legednary, Domination)

Tsutsujigasaki-yakata (躑躅崎館), Headquarters of the Takeda Clan
    Province of Kai

"Ho! Ho! Ho!"
    More than two thousand crimson-armored soldiers of Takeda exercise their skills.
    Their chants are in unison; their minds are one - to invade as rapidly as wild fire.
    The strength of Takeda recovers extremely fast, thanks to Takeda Takenobu's legendary bonus, ops, legendary management skills.
    It is time for another invasion.

"My lord, the intelligence from Echigo has arrived. Nagao Kagetora has boarded ships in Naoetsu port three days ago."
    Advisor Yamamoto Kansuke spoke by Takeda Harunobu's ear.

"Let's wait a bit longer, or Nagao Kagetora could turn back. But the plan with the Ikkos can go ahead."
    "Yes, my lord. I shall travel to Echizen."
    "Hold on. I think Commander Shimotsuma Raishu cannot make the decision this time. But, we don't have time to let him ask headquarter Ishiyama Honganji."
    "Yes, my lord. Grandmaster Honganji Shoyo is too kind to initiate a war with Nagao in a hurry. We have to create a situation to force Shimotsuma into war with Nagao."
    "Jinbo."
    "That's exactly what I think, too, my lord. Jinbo Nagazumi was so smart that he spent one year to chase after Nagao Kagetora and still failed. We can tell him to do anything for us."
    "Good. Let's do this..."

Takeda Harunobu closed his eyes while he reveals his plot.
    Jinbo is now a loyal follower of Nagao. But that can be worked to Nagao's disadvantage.

"My lord, your cunning mind is unmatched in the Sengoku Jidai."
    "There are many smart men out there. I can only hope so."

"Ho! Ho! Ho!"
    The soldiers have been well trained.
    And their time is about to come.

"Kagetora, you leave a weakness to me, and I shall bite. You want to play fair, but nobody else does in Sengoku. That's why you will meet your end."
    Takeda Harunobu looks north - many beautiful mountains stand in his view to Echigo.

Echizen Yoshizaki-gobō (吉崎御坊),
    Honganji's Echizen Command HQ

Shimotsuma has very thick brows. It appears even thicker under his shaved head.

Raishu: "WHAT? Nagao Kagetora is SAILING toward us?"
    It looks like the Ikko-Ikki commander's eyes could pop out any moment.

Ikko-Ikki captain: "Yep. The news just reaches Echizen. Nagao Kagetora has almost all captains and soldiers of Echigo on board."
    Raishu: "So is Nagao Kagetora attacking us?"
    Captain: "Unlikely. Nagao Kagetora's emissary visited us last month for Buddha's birthday's celebration, re-stating that Nagao wishes to maintain peace with Honganji."
    Raishu: "Maybe they tried to deceive us?... but this is not Nagao Kagetora's style."

Shimotsuma Raishu scratches his chin. What does Nagao Kagetora want to do?
    Maybe he is going to Kyoto? Samurai of this era dream to march an army onto Kyoto.
    Their names will be forever remembered even if they fail halfway.

Captain: "And the second issue: the emissary of Takeda asks to see you, my lord."
    Raishu: "Another ceasefire plead? Well... let's see if Takeda agrees with our terms this time..."

Takeda Harunobu has repeatedly demanded absurd ceasefire conditions. This makes Shimotsuma Raishu really impatient.

This emissary is different. His crippled and half-blinded appearance is not exactly diplomatic.
    But a monk should not judge people by their appearance, nor by their hearts - he should not judge at all.

Yamamoto Kansuke: "Lord Shimotsuma Raishu, I am not here to ask for a ceasefire."
    Raishu: "Oh?"

Shimotsuma Raishu is a little disappointed. His success as a commander depends on whether he can succumb his enemies. But so far he has been a poor performer.

Kansuke: "I am here to bring you a good news."
    Raishu: "Ok, let me guess. Nagao Kagetora is on a ship?"
    Kansuke: "Oh, nothing escapes lord Raishu's ears."
    Raishu: "I wouldn't call it good news, though. At best it is a neutral news."
    Kansuke: "Why does everybody talk about Nagao Kagetora? My good news to Honganji is about something else, lord Shimotsuma."
    Raishu: "And what is that?"

Now Shimotsuma Raishu is a little interested. He knows he cannot trust an enemy's emissary, but at least he can hear about their words.

Kansuke: "We Takeda will attack North Shinano again, and Honganji can attack Etchu. This way, we will get rid of two annoying enemies, Murakami and Jinbo."
    Raishu: "Jinbo Nagazumi is an ignorant brat, but these two clans are protected by Nagao. We signed a peace treaty with Nagao, we cannot do that."
    Kansuke: "We don't declare war on Nagao. We edeclare war on these small clans."

Shimotsuma Raishu frowns as his thick brows connect.

Raishu: "People are not stupid... and what if Nagao Kagetora choose to land in Echizen to punish us?"
    Kansuke: "Nope, Nagao Kagetora won't land in Echizen. He is going to Kyushu."
    Raishu: "Kyushu?"
    Kansuke: "This comes from the Kanto Kanlei, lord Uesugi Norimasa himself."

Shimotsuma Raishu has doubts. Why would Uesugi Norimasa reveal Nagao Kagetora's military plan to Takeda?
    But Honganji is never part of samurai politics. They must have their reasons...

Raishu: "Oh well, even if Nagao Kagetora is really going to Kyushu, he can still change his mind."
    Kansuke: "Not if Honganji ambushes Nagao Kagetora's fleet on the sea."
    Raishu: "WHAT? We've lost way too many ships to Echigo's navy. We cannot beat them."
    Kansuke: "No worries. All Uesugi's Bune are now away in Kyushu. The transport ships are very easy to defeat. Takeda would do it ourselves if we had a port."
    Raishu: "Hm..."

Shimotsuma Raishu realizes this could be a good oppurtunity to defeat Nagao, a formidable opponent.
    In Sengoku Jidai, most clans stay afloat by making sure their neighbors never get more powerful than they do.
    Treaties mean nothing in the hands of victors.

Raishu: "So you are suggesting that Honganji assassinate Nagao Kagetora on the sea. Why would we listen to you?"
    Kansuke: "So that Honganji will reclaim Etchu, and Takeda will reclaim North Shinano. We will then have peace."
    Raishu: "Takeda promise means nothing. You might as well suggest somebody else to betray us later."
    Kansuke: "Let's look at it this way. Nagao Kagetora is easily our biggest common enemy in the region. If we do not work together, sooner or later we will be destroyed individually."
    Raishu: "I don't think Nagao Kagetora is a keen expansionist like... lord Takeda Harunobu."
    Kansuke: "If not, why would Nagao Kagetora go to Kyushu?"

There is a long period of silence.
    This is Sengoku Jidai, where everybody acts in their best interest.
    Maybe Nagao Kagetora's chooses a chivalry style only to pave his way to a justified Kyushu campaign. Who knows?

Raishu: "But I still cannot declare war on Nagao just like this. I have to ask for Ishiyama Honganji's permission."
    Kansuke: "For sure Ishiyama Honganji will agree."
    Raishu: "Why is that?"
    Kansuke: "Because of Jinbo's attack."
    Raishu: "What attack?"
    Kansuke: "You don't know? Jinbo is marching an army to Kaga. Kaga is a holy land for Ikko. How could Honganji tolerate this?"
    Raishu: "Wait, wait, you said Jinbo is attacking us? Captain!"

Captain: "My lord."
    Raishu: "Is Jinbo attacking us?"
    Captain: "No. But Jinbo is attacking Kaga. This has been confirmed this morning. It would be the next item that I bring to you."
    Raishu: "Why don't you tell me earlier?"
    Captain: "Well, since Kaga fell into chaos last year, we have lost our governance there. My lord told me to leave issues not directly related to Honganji till later."
    Raishu: "Ok..."

Actually, Yamamoto Kansuke forged a letter from Kaga's local militant groups, which urged Jinbo to take the oppurtunity and expand its influence into Kaga. That's why Jinbo is marching an army to Kaga.

Raishu: "How dare Jinbo march an army to Kaga?"
    Kansuke: "Yes. Isn't this enough reason to wipe Jinbo off Echu?"
    Raishu: "Er..."
    Kansuke: "Has Lord Raishu forgot the shame in Ueno? When you pleaded for peace but everybody else looked down on you?"

Shimotsuma Raishu knows that Nagao Kagetora has fulfilled his promise. The terrible nun was recalled and never returned.
    But under this circumstance, all Raishu can see is the need to put down the annoying Jinbo Nagazumi.

Raishu: "I... I have to think this over."
    Kansuke: "Why? If you do not stop Jinbo's ambition, do you think Nagao Kagetora will? This is a war for your own survival! Even when Nagao Kagetora trusted us with their military access, Takeda still has to expand!"
    Raishu: "So there is really no trust in people in Sengoku?"
    Kansuke: "Being powerful is the only way to survive!"

Shimotsuma Raishu loses words.
    He has to make a very difficult decision.
    He can stick to the peace treaty and watch Jinbo Nagazumi takes Kaga away, or declare war on Jinbo, on Nagao, and defend Ikko's holy land in Hokuriku. Which task is more important?

Member thankful for this post:

At the same time, in Echigo...

Two months have passed since Nagao Kagenobu and Minato got married.
    Just like all international couples, cultural clashes slowly transform from excitement to lonesome.
    Most samurai treat woman as their belongings. Nagao Kagenobu, however, never lives like a samurai.

"Dear Minato, my love, the breakfast is ready!"
    "Can't you see I am still sleeping?"
    "OK~"

Frankly, Minato is quite disappointed from the arranged marriage.
    She imagined her husband would be similar to his nephew Nagao Kagetora.
    Now she realizes that her husband is just a bystander of the Nagao family - not exactly respected, not really appreciated, only occassionally mentioned.

Kagenobu: "OK then, I will leave the breakfast on the table. I have to hold a meeting soon in Kasugayama Castle."
    Minato: "What meeting?"
    Kagenobu: "A clan officer meeting."
    Minato: "Why do you have to do it? Don't they usually ignore you anyway?"
    Kagenobu: "Well, I am technically the highest ranked Nagao family member in Echigo now. Kagetora and Masakage are both on the ships."
    Minato: "So you are the least useful Nagao family member?"
    Kagenobu: "Yep... I've never fought a battle... I don't want to."
    Minato: " So you get left at home to hold meetings..."
    Kagenobu: "I got left at home to take care of my wife. "
    Minato: "Estúpido..."
    Kagenobu: "Hey, I can understand Portugese if you keep using the same word! But if I was as smart as Kagetora, I would have a lot of lady fans. Then I probably won't come back tonight."
    Minato: "How dare you?!"

Minato actually has a smile on her face.

Minato: "Just go to your meeting... who will be in the meeting?"
    Kagenobu: "The internal affairs officers, Naoe Kagetsuna (直江景綱) and Honjo Saneyori (本莊實乃). They are nice people. Kagetora brings his wife on the trip. Why don't you join me?"
    Minato: "No, I want to sleep more."
    Kagenobu: "Let's take a look at Kasugayama's 'sea of cloud' together."
    Minato: " You call that little lump of dirt Kasuga mountain? You didn't see the mountains in Portugal."
    Kagenobu: "Well, Japan also has Mount Fuji, which must be taller than your Portugese mountain. Hm... but Mountain Fuji is a dangerous volcano. You don't want to live close to a volcano. Think about this. When a person is not very tall, a small mountain would appear taller."
    Minato:

Minato gets off the bed in pajama.

Minato: "BAH. You go to hold some boring meetings. I will go have tea with Maoko sister."
    Kagenobu: "Sure... are you coming home for dinner?"
    Minato: "I don't know. Just go! Don't let people wait for you!"

Kagenobu nods in silence and puts on his straw coat, as the cold spring fog could quickly dampen his clothes.
    Marriage is not as sweet as he imagined. But he is very satisfied with life nontheless.
    Afterall, one does not need a reason to be happy.

Actually, Nagao Kagenobu still has quite a few hours to kill until the scheduled meeting.
    He planned to see the 'sea of cloud' from the top of Kasugayama mountain with Minato, and maybe take a walk in the trails of Kasuga mountain for the beautiful display of cherry blossom.
    But that plan didn't work out.

"Some monk said that life is lonely in essence." Kagenobu shrugs.
    Maybe he will take a cherry blossom tour by himself.

Kasugayama Castle, Top Level

When Nagao Kagenobu finally arrives at the meeting room, it is close to noon hour.
    It was indeed a very enjoyable and refershing walk, even if he saw many couples holding hands on the trails.
    Any single man knows that feeling. They would hope all romantic lovers suddenly discover that they are actually brother and sister separated since birth.

"I am very lucky that I am a noble, and I have a wife."
    Nagao Kagenobu walks into the meeting room...
    and backs out in shock!

Minato is inside, along with everybody else!

"Come in, estúpido! Everybody is waiting for you!"
    "OK~"

Everybody is watching - how shameful for a samurai to be publically scolded by his wife, especially in front of his fellow clan officers.

"I am so sorry~"

Nagao Kagenobu sees quite a few familiar faces in the meeting room besides Minato:

Naoe Kagetsuna (直江景綱)

Born in 1509. An long-time clan officer since Kagetora's father Nagao Tamekage. Kagetsuna was one of the first to join Kagetora's side during the feud of brothers. An expert in internal affairs and diplomacy, Kagetsuna possess a rare talent in the military-expert roster of Nagao clan. A Bugyo (奉行, quite like cabinet minister today) in diplomacy and internal affrais, Naoe Kagetsuna was very depended upon in the clan.

Honjo Saneyori (本莊實乃)

Born in 1511. A Nagao clan officer during Harukage's rule, Saneyori noticed the unusual qualities of Torachiyo (future Kagetora), and invited him to live in his castle and taught him military tactics. During the feud of brothers, Saneyori accompanied Kagetora's military campaign and secured his rulership of Echigo. Honjo Saneyori then became a Bugyo of internal affairs, sharing significant power and responsibility with Naoe Kagetsuna.

Maoko: "It is OK. Lord Kagenobu is not late actually. But we moved forward the meeting due to an emergency. Too bad, we sent out more than 20 ashigaru, but none could not find you."
    Kagenobu: "I was taking a walk around Rizenji. What's the matter?"

Naoe Kagetsuna: "How about let the captain speak for himself?"

"Yes. I am captain Saito Tomonobu, responsible for the border of Echu and Echigo."

This captain looks young, probably in his early twenties. With a bulky stature, he shaved his head but kept a large beard. His eyes spit anger under those thick and dark brows. His look kills.

Saito Tomonobu (齋藤朝信)

Born in 1527. Famous for his all-purpose role in the Nagao/Uesugi clan, Saito Tomonobu was a Bugyo of Internal Affairs, but also participated in many battles. His ferocity and bravery earned him the title of "Echigo's Ghost Buster (Zongqui)".

Saito Tomonobu: "We have received Jinbo Nagazumi's report - as he has mobilized an army and ready to invade Kaga. I find Jinbo's move very troublesome, as Kaga is still technically Honganji's land. And we have signed a peace treaty with Honganji. That's why I am here to ask for advice."

But Saito Tomonobu speaks with such a soft and smooth voice, just like reading a bedside story to babies. This is such a mismatch with his appearance.

Naoe Kagetsuna: "Well, although technically Jinbo is an independent clan, it shares a inseparable bond with us. We Nagao have a peace treaty with Honganji. How can Jinbo Nagazumi not checking with us before attacking Honganji's Kaga?"
    Saito Tomonobu: "Probably because Jinbo Nagazumi is eager to restore the glory of his clan... Currently, Honganji's power has greatly diminished in Kaga. So maybe Jinbo Nagazumi thought Kaga was free for grab."
    Honjo Saneyori: "But then this gives Honganji a perfect excuse to remove Jinbo from Echu. If we help Jinbo, we break the peace treaty with Honganji. If we do nothing, we fail to fulfill our promise to protect Jinbo."
    Naoe Kagetsuna: "Lord Kagetora will make that decision..."

"Yep. Yep. Yep."
    That's all Nagao Kagenobu said in between.

Naoe Kagetsuna: "Let's assume the worst. Suppose Jinbo Nagazumi is defeated by Honganji in Kaga. Honganji's army would march to Echu next - and declare war on us due to our alliance with Jinbo."
    Honjo Sangeyori: "Yes. Then Lord Kagetora's fleet would be in danger. And the Ikko-Ikki army would march to Echigo... that's not good."
    Saito Tomonobu: "I was thinking about the same thing. Therefore, I have sent some fast boats to catch up with Lord Kagetora, warning him of possible danger."

"Sounds like we are heading into trouble land..." Nagao Kagenobu wipes away some sweats on his forehead.

"Can we do something here in Kasugayama Castle?"
    Actually, Kagenobu IS the highest-ranked Nagao officer in Echigo. He has to something.

Honjo Saneyori: "Hm, if Ikko-Ikki came to attack Echigo, we can ask Lord Kagetora to land on Echizen. This would draw their army back."
    Naoe Kagetsuna: "Or simply pretend to."
    Maoko: "Another possibility - if Lord Kagetora's fleet defeats Honganji on the sea, we might be able to come to another peace treaty with the Ikko... maybe recognizing their ownership of Echu. That's not ideal, but at time like this we have to yield somehow. I can be the emissary."
    Naoe Kagetsuna: "After the incident of Fukuyama castle, I think the monks no longer trust you, Maoko. I go."
    Maoko: "Certainly. Kagetsuna will show them reasons."

"Lord Kagenobu, what do you think?"
    "Eh..."
    "Estúpido, say something!"

Saito Tomonobu looks at Kagenobu with sympathy.
    That's the thing about political marriage though - he has to endure this for the sake of Nagao clan.

"OK... this is what I think. I think... I think Jinbo Nagazumi can't find a worse time to anger Honganji, as there is no army in Echigo to back him up. With a friend like this, who..."
    "Don't say cliche!"

Naoe Kagetsuna: "That's actually a good point. Jinbo Nagazumi trusts us, likes us, and... almost obeys us. Why would he suddenly do something against our interest? Maybe a third party is behind this."
    Honjo Saneyori: "That could be the one Lord Kagetora worries the most."
    Saito Tomonobu: "I am thinking about the same thing."
    Maoko: "OK, please let me go to Shinano and warn Lord Murakami Yoshikiyo. Someone might be coming at him."
    Honjo Saneyori: "Yes. If we lose Shinano, Echigo would be next, undoubtedly."

"What? losing Echigo? And what will happen to us? Who is this person you are talking about?" :on_cold:
    "I told you to pay more attention to meetings!"

I am (again) very sorry about the delayed update! Being quite busy lately.
    I am still going to continue the story - but I will be out of town for a week first.

If you can read Chinese, welcome to check out the official forum for this story.
    The original version has progressed to chapter 76, which is about 200,000 words (?) ahead of the English version.

http://novels.freeforums.org/68-t4.html

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789