Thread: Usage of spears

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Usage of spears

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-xtFXThEOc

Not exactly high ranking historian speaking but still...interesting arguments. Any thoughts?

BTW, his entire youtube account is dedicated to history and weapons usage and I found it interesting enough to recommend it:)

Default Re: Usage of spears

interesting enough video indeed

i have this feeling the whole overarm/underarm thing will be debated evermore and we'll never really solve it
    Gott mit dir, dem Bayernvolke,
    Daß wir unsrer Väter wert,
    fest in Eintracht und in Friede
    bauen unseres Glückes Herd;
    Daß der Freund da Hilfe finde,
    Wehrhaft uns der Gegner schau,
    Wo die Rauten-Banner wehen,
    Unsre Farben – Weiß und Blau!

hoplites overhand and peztharoi underhand since their funcations where diferent pike = pinning down while hoplite means kill as fast possible before th man loose moral and break

I like his thinking. I'm not sure whether he is correct in this case, but the importance of decorations is sometimes overestimated, I guess. The artists are definitely interested in making them visually appealing, not accurate. You certainly won't learn much about warfare from watching Hollywood movies or analysing paintings. I just hope that he doesn't show some of these vases to the CA, because they will introduce Dolphin Hoplites unit in RTW2.

Still, his arguments are based on common sense alone (and this can be misleading) and he admitted it himself that he is more used to underhand grip (bias), so for the moment I will remain sceptical.
    Last edited by Cybvep; 07-23-2012 at 07:57.

dolphins where a simbol of poseidon i think so nothing wrong with hoplites wearing dolphin images in their hoplon

Quote Originally Posted by moonburn View Post
    dolphins where a simbol of poseidon i think so nothing wrong with hoplites wearing dolphin images in their hoplon
    How about hoplites riding dolphins? :D