Thread: Yellow death, orange greeks, and the brown barbarians. My trifecta of destruction.

Default Yellow death, orange greeks, and the brown barbarians. My trifecta of destruction.

It is 204BC in my Romani H/H campaign. I have conquered western mainland europe, from Gibraltar to the eastern boarder of modern day germany, and destroyed all the tribal factions within. In North Africa, I have destroyed the Carthaginians and taken everything from Gibraltar to Alexandria.

I have been quite successful on all fronts up until this point. In the last five rounds my fortunes have radically altered. The Ptolemaioi forged an alliance with the Baktria and together rapidly destroyed AS(my ally for a hundred years), Pontos, Pahlava and Hayasdan. With peace in persia, the Ptolemaioi have turned their attentions fully to my incursion into their territory. Unlike other enemies I have fought, the Ptolemaioi seem to have infinite resources and armies consisting of large numbers of elite troops. My legions of veteran polybian troops have been greatly depleted in the onslaught of phalanxes pouring into the Nile delta region. All I have left of any substance are a few rag tag armies made up of local militia and mercenaries. Because I stupidly neglected to update my navy, the Ptolemaioi have that part of the Mediterranean firmly under their control, stopping me from shipping in fresh men. Hopefully in 10 or so turns I can defeat them at see, but at the moment it is impossible.

To make matters much worse, the Getai have taken control of all of eastern europe between my boarder and the black sea. They have also made the Sauromatae their vassals, providing them with a single front to fight on. KH has dominated greece and the western tip of persia, making Makedonia their vassal. About four turns ago, the Getai and KH joined forces and are now invading my lightly defended eastern boarder.

As of where I stand now, I am being invaded by three superpowers simultaneously. My economy is in ruins because of the vast number of troops I am creating to try to hold the line. It looks very much like the KH and Getai will join with the Ptolemaioi and Baktria, leaving me to bear the full brunt of their combined military might. I am only three or four major defeats from having both of my boarders steamrolled.

The only silver lining I can see is that the Baktria have made the Saka their vassal, and the rest of their territory is surrounded by the Ptolemaioi. Hopefully this will end in a major bloody conflict between the two.

I am out of ideas of what to do, aside from pumping more and more men into the two fronts, and this has only turned a few regions into meat grinders. I was hoping that some of my fellow imperators would have some suggestions.

Default Re: Yellow death, orange greeks, and the brown barbarians. My trifecta of destructio

The advice you will probably get is to not play hard battles. Med battles are easy, yes..but so it goes. Maybe if you altered your sword infantry to have ap ability that may bring some balance to the battles and give your border armies some durability. Or perhaps in this campaign, there will be no Roman empire..or maybe you will need to cheat a little.

Default Re: Yellow death, orange greeks, and the brown barbarians. My trifecta of destructio

Never cheat, never back down.

Well, you are stretched out too much, yet you have no Marian troops recruitable in most of your provinces. Once you get the superiority over the seas you might be able to resuply your armies more effectively, but your Polybian troops ( actualy all non elite Roman troops ) are no match to the elite phalangitai of the Diadochy. You could follow the advise and change the recruitment time for their elites from 1 to 2 turns ( adjusting the EDU ). That way you´d fight more realistical enemy army compositions. I, for my side, have adjusted the EDU heavily, to bring some more balance concerning the AI rectuitment behaviour. If you do not want ( can´t ) do this manualy, just take the edu from Jirissis mega mod pack ( those weaken a phalanx quite a bit in a realistic way, and make skirmishers more effective etc., iirc ).
    If you are too "proud" to do so, then you´d have to adjust: The Romans had no experience in using hoplites of phalangitai in their ranks, only as allied forces perhaps. You could ( roleplay ) start heavily relying on such allies, hiring all the mercs you can get, or establishing a client gouvernment aka allied kingdom, to form a solid line of pikemen, while using your Roman troops to flank and surround the enemy.
    - 10 mov. points :P

Since I posted this things have changed. I have won some major victories over the attacking Ptolemaioi and halted their advance a bit. My navy is vastly improved and I am preparing to send in some relief roman troops. In the north, the Getai have proven to be unable to hold their footing. Several allied state barbarian hords in the northern area and a few legions in the south have sent them running. Their military is dog shit, consisting of mainly militia units, so they scatter like sand in wind every battle I fight against them.

My only real problem is HK massing troops in Illyria. I hope that in this next battle I will crush several of their stacks, and possibly get leverage for peace. The marian reforms are so far off, I might just burn the Egyptian cities I have and retreat back to western North Africa.

my advice is to confuse the ai by dividing there fronts send a army to occupy tarsus and hold it with slingers and the usual garrison troops the ai will suffer horribly with the thorn in there side.
    Is eating a taco.

Raid. Since your navy is now ok shove a few troops into the boats and go for the weakly garrisoned towns. Enslave everyone and destroy everything then skip home with a pocket full of cash.

I have turned the tides completely in my favor now. The peace between KH and Ptolemaioi has broken down into a huge conflict in persia. The Getai lost all their steam after I took their three largest cities, leaving them with tiny little towns and wreaking their economy. Raiding seems like it would be a good idea to further weaken and destabilize the Ptolemaioi.

wow KH in persia?? Can i see a map of your campaign?

I have turned the tides completely in my favor now. The peace between KH and Ptolemaioi has broken down into a huge conflict in persia. The Getai lost all their steam after I took their three largest cities, leaving them with tiny little towns and wreaking their economy. Raiding seems like it would be a good idea to further weaken and destabilize the Ptolemaioi.

Whats the best way to take a screen shot of just the map?

I think "toggle_fow" and take a shot of anything, and then crop it.