Thread: Thumb Rings

Default Thumb Rings

I am aware that the Scythians used Thumbs Rings while firing their bows from 200 BC, but I was wondering if there was evidence for earlier usage than this among steppe peoples(from archaeology, presumably) . Second question: if the Thumbs Rings were in use, will there be a reference to them within the mod (with arrows on the right-hand side of the bow while firing)? I assume this is not possible, given scare resources and all but it would be cool if that it were done.

I'm going to do a little bit of shameless self promotion here: check out my Sweboz AAR for EB2 (alas discontinued)
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...irst-among-Men

COYATOYPIKC Senior Member Flatout Minigame Champion Arjos's Avatar
    Prisoners upon this rock, flying without wings...

Default Re: Thumb Rings

Afaik the earliest have been found in China dated to the later Bronze Age...
    The problem is that most where made of leather and bone, which were either disposed of at one point or simply perished. Those that survived were made of ivory or jade iirc...
    Later thumb rings are definitely attested with Turkic and Mongolic tribes, but afaik for their use by Central Asian nomads during the Iron Age, it is more of an argument related to commercial contacts and archaeological silence...
    Last edited by Arjos; 12-23-2013 at 18:18.

Default Re: Thumb Rings

So there is basically no proof that there were Thumbs Rings being used in this period-this far west-rather than anything else? In that case, are there any depictions of Scythians using Thumb Rings in Greek pottery and the like? However that refers to a much earlier period (500-400 BC was the heyday afaik) than EB, so perhaps not. But the Greeks had a great deal of contact with steppe peoples through their colonies in the Bosphorus, so maybe?

I'm going to do a little bit of shameless self promotion here: check out my Sweboz AAR for EB2 (alas discontinued)
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...irst-among-Men