Thread: Missing the old days

Default Missing the old days

Its been a while since ive been around on the forums. Between deployment, work, and other issues im climbing back into gaming. I recently built a new rig, (the specifics of which ill give if needed) and i want to start playing the old medieval total war. I have Steam and i can only get total war 2 from them. Are there any sites i can go to to download a good version of Medieval total war? and what are some good mods to use with it?
    If living is nothing dieing is nothing then nothing is everything and everything is nothing

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Default Re: Missing the old days

Welcome back, Kamakazi.

Ah, the limbo of MTW. To the best of my knowledge, STW and MTW are not available for downloads (legal) anywhere. Steam had a TW package in the Summer Sale, but it was RTW and newer. You should be able to order disk versions from Amazon. On your new rig, stay away from Intel graphics if you want to run MTW.

My unsubstantiated theory on the state of STW/MTW: CA/Sega doesn't control the rights to the games, it's all a legal jumble between CA, EA, and Activision. God knows who controls the source. Releasing the game to Steam or GoG would require code changes to fix the CTDs and other video issues seen with newer hardware, and it's too much hassle for CA to do (even if they wanted to).
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

so ive just gotta go buy the disks then.... ive got an evga gtx480 graphics card so i assume that wont work out....
    If living is nothing dieing is nothing then nothing is everything and everything is nothing

I think the newer nVidia cards work. You may need to tweak a few things depending on your system, but I don't think you will see the same issues as the 8/9XXX series cards.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

Kamakazi....

If you have previously tried the medieval-themed "big stuff" like MedMod, old Redux, XL and BKB supmod - all of that remain just the same as they were 2004-2009. The only major stuff that have changed somehow since then is Redux. In 2011 the first new (and very different) beta-versions of Redux was released and the latest so far was made available to the public in April 2012 (the RXB1003-version). Maybe you could give that a try?

Other then that, try highend ATI-cards I think they are still better then their Nvidia counterparts - both for MTW and in general performance - although it has been that way for some years now (so it might swing back to Nvidias favour again soon - I don't know).

- A

GOG.com (good old games) has a section called the wishlist. TWM is on there; perhaps if it got more votes ----

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Believe me, I already voted on that one a long time ago. If GOG were ever to release MTW on their site, I'd snap it up in a heartbeat!
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

Quote Originally Posted by LordK9 View Post
    GOG.com (good old games) has a section called the wishlist. TWM is on there; perhaps if it got more votes ----
    We had a thread on that some time back, maybe it's time to stuff the ballot box again.

It doesn't have a lot of votes relative to some others - I think eight hundred and sixty some. A real pity.

I believe Gamesplanet sells a download version of Medieval Total War Gold Edition. It is a British site though and may not allow American downloads.
    Last edited by Wodening; 03-12-2013 at 03:04.
    Fate will often spare a man not yet destined for death, when his courage is good (Beowulf)

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Such memories firing MTW again, incredible flood of nostalgia!
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Are those very old days? Having campaigned for quite a time I think I would do things differently. First of all, I wouldn't auto-appoint the governors (as you seem to have done) - acumen and dread of those chosen by the AI may not be what you would want them to. It is especially important for the isolated provinces - the islands and Naples. I wouldn't build so many inns - one in Trebizond is quite enough. Lesser Armenia doesn't deserve agricultural upgrade (at least so soon) - its income is pretty low - I would upgrade Nicea rather. Usually on my first moves I build watchtowers - it helps to keep the loyalty higher. I wouldn't leave Anatolia undefended - it is Nicea that isn't exposed to any threats from outside. And I usually don't start any offensive that soon - I prefer to firmly establish myself in my own realm - and have an heir at least.
    Well, you could say I 'm giving an unsolicited advice and you would be right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

Its funny; I don't auto appoint but I may as well. I just use the highest acumen guy in the conquering stack that is somewhat loyal (4+) and at least "3" acumen. Maybe because I heavily garrison so I have reserve troops in an emergency I don't have rebellion problems. Sure does slow down the conquests, though.

Been wanting to ask this but didn't think it worth a new thread since its a dead end discussion: the Byzantines occasionally get daughters - are they historical (as it seems so rare compared to the Roman Catholics)?
    Last edited by LordK9; 03-08-2014 at 02:13.

Been wanting to ask this but didn't think it worth a new thread since its a dead end discussion: the Byzantines occasionally get daughters - are they historical (as it seems so rare compared to the Roman Catholics)?
    Do you think Byzantine civilization was that developed to prevent girls being born in royal families?
    Princesses were pretty important in medieval politics, Byzantine empire included. I know of Anna Comnena, the daughter of the emperor Alexius I and a renowned historian (mainly describing events of her father's reign) and of a fact that one of Rus princes (1113-1125) was Volodymyr Monomach as his ancestress was a Byzantine princess with the corresponding last name.

Right, but I've often gone several generations without a daughter. I think it is usually just two or three for the whole game in "high" whilst the Catholic factions have several per king. It appears to me that the only daughters generated in the game for the Byzantines are historical figures.
    Last edited by LordK9; 03-09-2014 at 04:27.

It appears to me that the only daughters generated in the game for the Byzantines are historical figures.
    I doubt it. But Byz princesses are hard to get, it is true.
    An interesting thing I noticed about Byz emperors (in my game) that they start producing heirs when they are 35+ even if they were married at an early age.

That has to be some sort of balancing mechanism. It seems the Byz heirs have more rank then the other factions.

The video is not mine, I just posted it to bring back some nostalgia that came with the atmospheric music of the campaign map.

Proud

Been to:

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval View Post
    The video is not mine, I just posted it to bring back some nostalgia that came with the atmospheric music of the campaign map.
    The MTW camp map music is wonderful, one of my two favorites (MoO2 being the other). I'm like Pavlov's dog when I hear it.

I like the Viking and Danish victory music myself. So cool!

And let's not forget the haunting main menu music...

Proud

Been to:

Just a quick reply as to the availability of MTW+VI, Gold Edition for download. I Bought from Games Rocket just last week for 4.95$ U.S.

Games Rocket also has Shogun Total War for 2.95 I believe and I am going to DL that later on tonight probably.

P.S. It is sad that I still have my original CDs of MTW and VI but I think I'd lost the keys, still have my org. handbook and tech tree poster though..the org box pics take me back whenever I come across it, first time I looked at those massive colored pixie medieval armies I knew I was destined to play the game for a good time to come...Ahh, I sure do miss the old days

Get the original + VI if you can, it's better to have those separately IMHO than the Gold Edition. From a technical perspective.

Same goes for Shogun.

Proud

Been to:

Quote Originally Posted by muvs32 View Post
    P.S. It is sad that I still have my original CDs of MTW and VI but I think I'd lost the keys,
    If you find the keys again, take a permanent marker and write the key number on the top side of the CD. It doesn't look too pretty, but you cannot lose the key without losing the disc, in which case who cares about the key?
    In those simple times there was a great wonder and mystery in life. Man walked in fear and solemnity, with Heaven very close above his head, and Hell below his very feet. God's visible hand was everywhere, in the rainbow and the comet, in the thunder and the wind. The Devil too raged openly upon the earth; he skulked behind the hedge-rows in the gloaming; he laughed loudly in the night-time; he clawed the dying sinner, pounced on the unbaptized babe, and twisted the limbs of the epileptic. A foul fiend slunk ever by a man's side and whispered villainies in his ear, while above him there hovered an angel of grace . . .

Arthur Conan Doyle