Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Release plan

Default Re: Release plan

I don't post often but I lurk a lot.

I don't care if it does take until 2015/6 or whenever to release the mod as the forum is entertainment itself. It is the only non sports/news website I check pretty much daily so no 'let down' here.

Apprentice Geologist Member Blxz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DaciaJC View Post
    Insider info. Sorry, can't compromise my sources.
    Then like any true scientist I am going to have to discount your theory until the sources can be confirmed. Not that it matters. Its all a bit of fun as Olly said.
    Completed Campaigns:
    Macedonia EB 0.81 / Saby'n EB 1.1
    Qart'Hadarst EB 1.2 / Hai EB 1.2
    Current Campiagns:
    Getai/Sauromatae/Baktria
    donated by Brennus for attention to detail.

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Release plan

I am sorry to hear the Gaza campaign has been abandoned. It seemed like a good idea to test-run EB2, but I understand that without someone pushing for it, it turned into a timesink.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

yea good luck releasing a stable mod without alpha or beta testing with a wide range of configurations beforehand. Developers dont do that for fun you know. This will be more of a mess than EB1 for years after 'release', if it even gets to that.

I am in no way saying this as an insult, as I used to be a very big fan of EB, but this project is pretty much vapourware. Last update on the website was over 1 1/2 years ago, previews and updates are constantly dwindling. We're down to maybe seeing a couple of WIP models/textures being tweeted. Its signs like these that reaffirm what many others believe as well, that this project will most likely not be completed.

i do keep checking back every few months in hopes that someone with proper understanding of software development has taken the reins.

go ahead and tell me that its the historical research and that it takes time but many people accomplish more in 3-4 years and yes many do it for free.

...but hopefully I'm wrong, because I would like to play a game like EB2.

RABO! Member Brave Brave Sir Robin's Avatar

Uhh, the last large preview was approximately 4 months back revealing Naebatea (sp?). We all know Tux has been working his off on some of the eye candy for the mod and there have actually been a lot of limited visual previews over the last few months. It is most likely scripting and coding that is slowing the release down (as EB has always been at the forefront of mods which test engine limits) but I have no doubt that the mod will see light of day sometime in the near future overseen by the current team. This is their labor of love and it doesn't deserve such pessimism.
    From Frontline for fixing siege towers of death
    x30 From mikepettytw for showing how to edit in game text.
    From Brennus for wit.

I think this verges on trolling, frankly. What possible purpose could there be for coming onto the site to write what is (for all claims that it is not) insulting/derogatory and misinformed (as Brave Brave Sir Robin pointed out) drivel. There are alot of new and integral game-play mechanisms and the coding for all of that, the many, many all new units and other models (at a level commensurate with the EB team's standards).... these were always going to quieten things down in terms of progress reports.

I have little doubt, unlike the "many others" (weasel words) and yourself, that EB2 is alive and kicking. I have seen nothing that has given me any reason to doubt it.

Im sorry i didnt realize that this forum was for praises only.

And if you are really that interested in who else thinks that this may be vapourware, please add me on steam and I will forward you names. Or maybe we could start a poll here? But i wouldn't think that would be appropriate.

A good quality game, even mods, will last the test of time as long as they release. Games such as alpha centauri or Moo2 still remain one of my favourite titles. We still have EB battles once in a while at our LANs, but have some gripes with the RTW engine that the 2nd iteration(M2TW) has resolved. For example the use of same textures for all soldiers in a unit, and wacky glitches with phalanx units.

Call me a troll and ill politely ask you to pull your head out of your ass. Not sure if you know the meaning of insulting/derogatory. Look up vapourware while you're at it too. Last preview I can find was almost 6 months ago(03-31-12, 15:16). Yes, I am pessimistic, but I dont doubt the quality of their work.

Anyways, like I said before, I hope EB2 releases whenever that may be.

Member Member stratigos vasilios's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Elthore View Post
    It is, but it also offers a means for fans to offer constructive criticism to the team (and each other). The forums is a great way to discuss facts by presenting arguements in a constructive manner as well as resources to support or refute claims.

I can recognise your impatience in between previews, which I share with you as a fan and not a team member. However, it is important to always understand that the team has real life commitments which perhaps take away time from modding. There's no doubt of the quality and skill of the EB team and you cannot disagree with the quality of their previews, however these things do take time.

I am in no way saying this as an insult, as I used to be a very big fan of EB, but this project is pretty much vapourware. Last update on the website was over 1 1/2 years ago, previews and updates are constantly dwindling. We're down to maybe seeing a couple of WIP models/textures being tweeted. Its signs like these that reaffirm what many others believe as well, that this project will most likely not be completed..
    I disagree, however I respect that this is your opinion. Enough members are active on these forums, twitter and in the frontroom (etc) to suggest that the mod is indeed being worked on. These members (as I'm lead to believe) have their own hidden sub forum dedicated to EBII's development. I believe the project will be completed, when will it be in an entirely different question. Putting a 'release date' on a project would only dissapoint fans should the tight schedule not be met, and cause unnecessary team grief and stress (after all it is a free fan mod!).

i do keep checking back every few months in hopes that someone with proper understanding of software development has taken the reins. go ahead and tell me that its the historical research and that it takes time but many people accomplish more in 3-4 years and yes many do it for free.
    The team is always looking for help, if you have spare time (which is the basis of this mod, 'spare time from RL') the team are always looking for people to showcase their modding/scripting/skinning/research skills to help them out.
    We love you because you died and resurrected to save us...
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    We love you Goku!

Blog Entries

i do keep checking back every few months in hopes that someone with proper understanding of software development has taken the reins.
    Judging by some of the announcements about tools and updates, the team understands software development quite well. They just prefer to limit the number of releases and do most of the work in their private forum.

Your message may not be intended as an insult, but it does come across as hostile. I agree it's gone (too) quiet here, but this is not the right way to ask for more releases.

Member thankful for this post:

Moros 

yea good luck releasing a stable mod without alpha or beta testing with a wide range of configurations beforehand. Developers dont do that for fun you know. This will be more of a mess than EB1 for years after 'release', if it even gets to that.
    That's why we would release an alpha or beta at all: so people other than us may test it.

I am in no way saying this as an insult, as I used to be a very big fan of EB, but this project is pretty much vapourware. Last update on the website was over 1 1/2 years ago, previews and updates are constantly dwindling. We're down to maybe seeing a couple of WIP models/textures being tweeted. Its signs like these that reaffirm what many others believe as well, that this project will most likely not be completed.
    Last release was the 17th.

I suppose you have this proper understanding of software engineering, do you? So tell me, then: how would this "fix" things? Please don't give me generic, non specific, vague hand wavy, dreamland fantasy story in which proper planning and meticulous execution somehow combine to magically present the solution to any problem. I've heard those love stories before (I attended classes, you see) and like any good love story they are all a misty eyed, wishful, self-deceiving lie. No Mr. Right does not exist, there will be no knight in shiny armour, and software engineering only ever hits 20/20 when blessed with liberal amounts of hindsight.

Well luckily it's not. But by the same token, whoever wrote that your post was drivel is free not to praise you either.
    I dont doubt the quality of their work.
    I admit my English may be fallible and I may be reading more into/between the lines than you intended but this is not how I would have understood your post hadn't you posted your little "disclaimer" there.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Cool Re: Release plan

EB 2 must be out by Thanksgiving or the masses will riot!

It undoubtledly will be, since you kindly didn't put a year on that.

welcome to the forum!

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spoonman View Post
    EB 2 must be out by Thanksgiving or the masses will riot!
    wouldn't that be a bit extreme?

frankly, EB's mod team should continue with it's policy on release dates: It's done when it's done, as many here have already said.
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrahim View Post
    frankly, EB's mod team should continue with it's policy on release dates: It's done when it's done, as many here have already said.
    Something about this post and EB II in general reminds me about Duke Nukem Forever...

Ah well, that one got made eventually, so we still have hope!

Uergobretos Senior Member Brennus's Avatar

wouldn't that be a bit extreme?

(Sound of teeth gritting) I will explain why in years to come when I am allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Vilkku92 View Post
    Something about this post and EB II in general reminds me about Duke Nukem Forever...

Ah well, that one got made eventually, so we still have hope!
    Never fear, this mod will not die.

donated by ARCHIPPOS for being friendly to new people.
    donated by Macilrille for wit.
    donated by stratigos vasilios for starting new and interesting threads
    donated by Tellos Athenaios as a welcome to Campus Martius

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brennus View Post
    I think he was referring to the fact that the game took too long, and when it was released, it was an anticlimax...I think
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

I'm totally onboard whenever the EB II ship sails into port. To all those posters who were/are concerned about development delays I'd like to direct you to the EBNOM sub-forum...
    "Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools speak because they have to say something"

-Plato

I think he was referring to the fact that the game took too long, and when it was released, it was an anticlimax...I think
    Actually I was just referring to the game simply taking very long, not it proving a disappointment in the end. I'm too much of an optimist for that.

There really should be a smiley for shrugging...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vilkku92 View Post
    There really should be a smiley for shrugging...
    We have one, actually. Just type : shrug : without the spaces:

That's what we like to hear !

Keep up the good work lads !

Satyros
    Smell the battle in the wind, before you see us.Winterhorde of furyride, the wind will lead us.

Well we now have our first Roman building.

Member thankful for this post:

Vlixes 

Well we now have our first Roman building.
    With some very nice custom graffiti on...

Right, Brennus?

Romanes Eunt Domus
    Depending on the government type

Mithridates, I really wasn't expecting him to put it on the model. I like it though.

Maern, Romani eta domun.

This is the kind of cool stuff that one would expect to see in a project like this. It is brilliant, more so because government type is taken into consideration. Shared it with non EB ppl and the totally got it too. Brilliant, guys!
    -Silentium... mandata captate; non vos turbatis; ordinem servate; bando sequute; memo demittat bandum et inimicos seque;
    Parati!
    -Adiuta...
    -...DEUS!!!

Completed EB Campaigns on VH/M: ALL... now working for EBII!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12