Thread: For all the punching masterminds out there

Default For all the punching masterminds out there

I guess professional boxers are just as stupid as me. The also seem to think that increasing padding decreases the effectiveness of punches. So, do the professionals just not know what they are doing?

It's usually wise to discount a lot of what goes on in sparring sessions. Sometimes, one fighter is working on something and, because of that, the other fighter looks better than he is by comparison. And fighters wear large gloves in sparring they often derisively refer to as pillows. The additional padding takes a lot out of the blows delivered with them.

Bailey, though, can no longer wear the 14-ounce gloves that most men wear. He was asked to put on 16-ounce gloves because he was hurting men – frequently, much bigger men – with his shots with the 14-ouncers.

"I couldn't get any sparring until I put those 16-ounce gloves on," Bailey said.
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Default Re: For all the punching masterminds out there

There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Member thankful for this post:

Blog Entries

I guess professional boxers are just as stupid as me.
    Funny, I was going to say the same thing until I realised it would be an insult to boxers.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Members thankful for this post (2):

IceVisor 

Well Strike, do you and your band of happy fools still believe that padding makes punches more effective? Why do you think it is that majority of UFC fighters and many professional boxers would disagree with you?
    Last edited by Vuk; 08-20-2012 at 04:26.
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think some one is missing context here between bare knuckle fighting and modern boxing and between 14inch gloves and 16inch gloves.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Wherever my blade takes me or to school, it sorta depends

Quote Originally Posted by Tiaexz View Post
    I think some one is missing context here between bare knuckle fighting and modern boxing and between 14inch gloves and 16inch gloves.
    It's ounces.
    Last edited by Secura; 08-29-2012 at 08:52.

Amphibious Trebuchet Salesman Member Whacker's Avatar

I have to fart, but I'm scared that it might be a bit more than just a fart.

"Justice is the firm and continuous desire to render to everyone
    that which is his due."
    - Justinian I

smell the glove Senior Member Major Robert Dump's Avatar

Not this again.

I didn't see anything about bareknuckle boxing in that article, but I will read it again........
    Baby Quit Your Cryin' Put Your Clown Britches On!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiaexz View Post
    First of all, if you go back to the thread, you will find that people were arguing that heavier gloves meant more effective punches than lighter gloves. I had made the claim that I always was more damaged by punches with lighter gloves than heavier, and I was called a liar for it.
    Also, either padding makes a punch more effective or it doesn't. Which witch is which?

Quote Originally Posted by Major Robert Dump View Post
    Not this again.

I didn't see anything about bareknuckle boxing in that article, but I will read it again........
    You argued in the other thread that lighter gloves equalled less effective punches. Either recant, or come up with a good defense of those statements.

Quote Originally Posted by Vuk View Post
    First of all, if you go back to the thread, you will find that people were arguing that heavier gloves meant more effective punches than lighter gloves. I had made the claim that I always was more damaged by punches with lighter gloves than heavier, and I was called a liar for it.
    Also, either padding makes a punch more effective or it doesn't. Which witch is which?

You argued in the other thread that lighter gloves equalled less effective punches. Either recant, or come up with a good defense of those statements.
    I argued no such thing, little man. I don't even think I posted in that thread, **except to crack wise.
    Last edited by Major Robert Dump; 08-21-2012 at 19:50.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    The padding in MMA gloves is mostly positioned by the knuckles to dissipate the majority of the force.

You punch harder with boxing gloves on. You are lying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelatinous Cube View Post
    UFC fighters often still break their hands, there's been talk about switching to heavier gloves for years. Boxers still break their hands too, although not as often.

Your head is pretty solid, guys. It can take a hit. The gloves are for the hands.
    Were just a few of the posts. Everyone on the thread was either arguing that less padding=less damage or were agreeing with them.

Wherever my blade takes me or to school, it sorta depends

Were just a few of the posts. Everyone on the thread was either arguing that less padding=less damage or were agreeing with them.
    Jesus your an idiot both of those posts just said boxing gloves are to protect fighters from breaking their hands which is why nobody thinks fighters should fight without gloves besides your and your clan of obese trolls.

Actually, they said that lighter gloves=lighter punches.

We should really stop with the personal insults.

I am trolling now, just like I trolled the last thread, in which I levied no arguments, but read and admired with much amusement, as I do this one, but deep down inside I cry when you guys do personal attacks because it is the Frontroom and I am a great guy

I am trolling now, just like I trolled the last thread, in which I levied no arguments, but read and admired with much amusement, as I do this one, but deep down inside I cry when you guys do personal attacks because it is the Frontroom and I am a great guy
    Lyke dis if u cry evertim.

Member thankful for this post:

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Actually, they said that lighter gloves=lighter punches.
    That is not what I said.

A bare fist requires a different fighting style due to the high risk of injury to the hand. MMA gloves, while smaller, pad the most vunerable parts. Uncovered areas are uncovered to enable grappiling, not harder punches.

Unfortunately for you, it's not a simple sliding scale, please watch a bare knuckle fight and realize how much more defensive it is
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

I have a feeling your being sarcastic but I agree, I'm getting really tired of all the Vuk bashing. I come here to read interesting discussions, not to watch the same Billy Madison clip over and over again. I thought the .org was supposed to be the "mature" corner of the internet.

I know Vuk's mindset can be frustrating but there's no need to insult his intelligence. If you can't convince him then stop discussing it with him.

Members thankful for this post (5):

Attacking someone for silly stuff they say and do is one thing.
    Making fun of how they look or of their family is, in my opinion, out of line and will discourage people from posting pictures of themselves and their family
    This in turn makes it harder for me to e-stalk people and hang their photos on the ceiling over my bed

Members thankful for this post (2):

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tuuvi View Post
    I'm getting really tired of all the Vuk bashing.
    Me too.

This is the Kingdom of Love and Peace. Keep it that way, please.

Thread closed.
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu