Thread: EMPIRE: Song of Peace and War

Default Re: EMPIRE: Song of Peace and War

Intermission: Organisation of the Imperial Armies in the Early Period

Phalangites

File: 10 men. Commanded by a Sergeant with the help of a corporal
    Line (2 files): Commanded by a Bronze Officer
    Square (5 files): Commanded by a Lieutenant
    Battle Regiment (10 files): Commanded by a captain
    Phalanx Regiment (25 Files): Commanded by a Silver Shield Officer or Hypaspistai captain
    Phalanx Battalion (250 files): Commanded by an Archon

Regular Infantry (excluding elite units)

10 - squad (sergeant)
    20 - platoon (staff sergeant or in rare cases, master sergeant)
    50 - troop (Troop officer)
    100 - contingent/squadron (Lieutenant)
    200 - Regiment (Regiment Commander/Lieutenant)
    200-300 - company (Captain)
    300-500 - brigade (Brigadier General)
    1000-1500 - Battalion (Battalion Commander)
    2000-3000 - corps (Colonel)
    4000-6000 - legion (Legion General)
    10 000 - division (Division/Field General)
    20 000-30 000 - Field Army (General or High General)
    50 000 - Campaign Army (High General or Lord Commander)
    100 000 - Grand Army (High General or Lord Commander)

Regular Cavalry (excluding companions and elite units)

10 men: Wedge/squad (scout sergeant)
    50 men: squadron (squad leader)
    100 men: Troop (Companion officer)
    200 men: Regiment (Lieutenant)
    500 men: Company (Captain)
    1000 men: Battalion (Outrider General)
    10 000 men: Division (Master of the Horse)

Navy

1 ship - Ship (Captain)
    5 ships - Squadron (Commodore)
    10 ships - Wedge (Commander)
    20 ships - Group (Group Admiral)
    50 ships - Command (Vice Admiral)
    100 ships - Division (Admiral)
    200 ships - Fleet/Navy (Fleet/Navy Admiral)
    200-500 ships - Grand Fleet/Navy (Grand Admiral)
    500-1000 ships - Empire Fleet (Lord Admiral)

10 points for the first person to find all the firefly quotes in the next chapter

OH and double points for the person who also finds the famous movie quote
    ;)

Chapter 10: Blood in the Sand Pt. 1
    Summer 248 BC Saba

The hot gales of the desert's currents mingled with the cool breeze from the numerous large oases surrounding the city, a combination which soaked the soldiers' tunics with sweat and tepid condensation. The dam of the Sabaen Maleks, conceived and built aeons ago, was visible in the distance, a titanic wall of stone, flanked by the cliff sides. Dwarfing even the great dam was the city of Maryab itself, the shining heart of Arabia. Also visible was the Palace of the Kings, built on ancient dunes and rising above the city like a colossal monument, a tragic remembrance of the golden age of Arabia, now occupied by lesser men.

"If we take this city, the Sabaen will never recover. We win here and the war is all but over!" High General Euphorion had said to them on the march. Easier said then done, thought Sergeant Urban of the 7th squad of the Flame Breakers. He stared at the army of one hundred thousand Arabians marching out of the Great City. These were no tribesmen either. The wily Sabaen King Halik Il Watar had saved his best till last. However, it was fortunate that the commanders in charge of the army were unable to rally their battalions quickly enough or manage a cohesive marching pace and now their forces were split in two. The first Half of the army was a few hundred metres away from the Seleukid lines while the second one was leagues away. Idiots...

"Make them pay dearly for this mistake. We must rout the first army before the second arrives or we will be overwhelmed." Those were the orders, and the reason that the entire company of the Flame Breakers were once again isolated from the main army and hiding among the dunes, waiting to spring yet another trap.

Urban crawled over to where Captain Planck and the man he knew as Lizard were lying.

"Captain, do you a have plan yet?" asked Urban.
    "Yes, we wait for them to engage our lines and then charge their centre from behind. That's where they keep their elites. When the elites break, so will the rest of the army..hopefully. Oh and we throw a few Greek Fire munitions for good measure." replied Planck.
    "Greek fire munitions? After they engage with our line? Surely you can't be serious."
    "I am serious, and don't call me Shirley."
    "But what if we accidentally throw them into our own?"
    "You won't, unless you're telling me that you can throw further than a imperial catapult."
    "Sir, I think you got a problem with your brain being missing."
    "Sergeant, Do you know what the chain of command is here? It's the chain I go get and beat you with to show you who's in command. Now go ready your squad."
    "Yessir."

Urban returned to his squad and found Six-Inch, his corporal, waiting for him, a questing look on his face.

"Things are gonna get ugly corporal." grumbled Urban
    "Really? What did the captain say exactly?" asked Six-Inch.
    "We are gonna use the fire, despite the risk. Wipe that grin off your face Six-Inch or I'll beat it off for you."

Every Soldier in this damn company is Insane! I tell them that their task has become more dangerous and they smile?!

The sounds of the battle joining, filled the air. Steel rang on steel and the screams of dying men echoed across the battlefield in a morbid chorus.

"Well, that's our que," muttered Urban,"Time for some thrilling heroics."

Chapter 11: Blood in the Sand Pt. 2
    Summer 248 BC Saba

Dust swirled around the two armies, locked in deadly combat. Under it's cover the Flame Breakers crept cautiously towards their enemy. All around them, was a wall of moving sand, obscuring all vision further than 20 paces. Planck had decided to split the company into individual Platoons, reasoning that it would be almost impossible to keep a company intact under these conditions. So now Urban's 7th squad and the 9th, Planck's original squad before he had attained the rank of captain, found themselves alone and without bearing. Planck signalled for them to stop. Sergeant Urban and Sergeant Xenop moved to the front of the group.

"I sent Lizard ahead to scout." said Planck, shouting to make himself heard over the clamour of battle."We are very close now and I don't want to stumble into their rear lines."

"I thought that was the plan?" replied Urban

"Yes, but this dust storm they've kicked up means we now have a better one. Since they can't see us, we will throw our munitions into their rear. Our own lines won't be affected since they are familiar with the sound and concussion of the munitions but the enemy who don't get blown up first will assume that we have 20 catapults aimed at each of their squads or that we have enough horsemen heading in their direction to make the ground shake. They will be terrified."

"Sounds like another crazy plan Cap'n"

A figure appeared in the sands in front of them and Urban's hand went instinctively to his short-sword before he relaxed as Lizard's face became visible.

"Cap'n." said Lizard."Their lines are only 30 metres away."

"Good job Lizard, we move forward 10 more paces and throw."

"What about the other squads?" asked Urban.

"They are aware of the new plan. They wait for my signal first."

"And what signal is that?"

"Why, the sound of detonations of course."

The Platoon moved up 10 paces and saw the rear ranks of the enemy. Planck pulled out a charge.

"We throw one after the other, is that understood? I don't want all of us getting blown to Hades."

He pulled back his arm and threw the small clay ball. A column of sand and body parts flew into the air as the charge detonated. To his left and right, Urban heard a series of explosions and felt the concussion of scores of munitions hitting their targets. Urban threw his charge next and the second wave of munitions cracked in the distance. All of a sudden, there were men running towards them, and most of them, having dropped their shields and weapons, we unarmed.

"Form a long line, I don't want them escaping!"

The dust had settled down and Urban risked a backwards glance.

"Err, cap'n, we have a problem."

Planck turned around and cursed when he saw it. The vanguard of the second army had arrived...

Chapter 12: Blood in the Sand Pt. 3
    Summer 248 Saba

The ridge of the dune was now crowded with Arabian horsemen, forming ranks in anticipation of charging down the hill and destroying the isolated Flame Breakers, the soldiers who had single handedly turned around every battle the two nations had fought.

"We need to get behind the main lines!" exclaimed Urban.

"We will hold our ground here." said Planck, firmly.

"Against five thousand heavy cavalry?"

"Haven't you wondered where Babak has been all this time?"

"Babak?" asked Urban. He looked and saw that indeed, the infamous soldier was missing from the group.

The Sabaen cavalry had formed up now and as they prepared to charge, Urban saw a figure rise from the sands near the hill and run into full view of the Sabaen horsemen screaming profanities at them. Babak.

"I'm over here! You want me? Yeah you do!" screamed Babak, "Come get me you camel lickers! By the Gods you're an ugly bunch! I'll bet that if Medusa had seen the faces of you lot, she would have strangled herself with her own snakes while simultaneously cutting her own eyes out with a piece of stone the size and general shape of your mother's play toys. Then right before she dies of suffocation she would have thrown herself into pit full of scorpions and blessed Hades' testicles for giving her a way out of that horror." Then Babak turned towards the Flame Breakers and began running. As one, the horsemen raced after him, a wave flooding down the hill.

"He'll never make it!" shouted Six-Inch.

"Oh don't you worry about Babak," replied Lizard,"He's survived much worse than this."

The horsemen were closing in on the running figure that was Babak, their lances lowered, and then...chaos....as the entire dune erupted. Men were flung off their horses and others flew high into the air. Babak had dived onto the sand at the last minute and now he rose and began running again. The Sabaen cavalry had been utterly annihilated, those horses that were not caught in the explosion had been flung around by the concussion. Bones had broken, hoofs had crushed skulls and not a single horse was fit to ride. Urban stared in shock. The bastard had mined the entire dune....

Babak arrived out of breath and saluted Planck.

"How come you always get the fun jobs?" moaned Lizard.

"Because I'm better at everything." replied Babak

"No you're not!"

"Name one thing you're better at than I am."

"I'm faster than you! You couldn't dodge a sword swing of your life depended on it. Which it does."

"Yeah. Thanks for the advanced combat lesson Lizard..."

"That's enough!" said Planck,"We need to make our way back to the army. The High general has another plan to deal with the second force..."

The platoons converged and the Flame Breakers began to make their way back into friendly lines, a hostile, lumbering army in their wake...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234