Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: EMPIRE: Song of Peace and War

Default Re: EMPIRE: Song of Peace and War

Loved it ! Keep up the good work.

thank you!!! :D
    I included that last part so you would feel sympathy for him despite the fact that he is a slimy, plotting eel. I wanted to show you some of the suffering he has undergone which made him the way he is. After all every every enemy is a hero on the other side. Thats why i gave more than one dimension to all my characters. even the main protagonists are flawed (e.g. Archimenes has rage, killing his daugter and wife, Helioketes is bound by vengeance and Mardonious is cold and calculating)

Member thankful for this post:

Jive 

Chapter 10: The Arrows Flight
    Winter 249 BC Assyria

The Enemy approached steadily and silently towards their position. This fact alone amazed Helioketes. Were the enemy not composed of levies and peasants? Helioketes had seen levied peasants fight in battle before. They usually charged towards their enemy in a disorderly line, screaming obscenities at the enemy as if doing so would give them the courage they desperately lacked. Indeed, that was what had given their position away in many battles he had fought. In the battle of Alexandria all those years ago, the noise made by the enemy levies had alerted Alexandros 'the Black' to the flanking force that Ptolemaios II had hidden before the battle. This gave Alexandros enough time to wheel his Peltasts in place and prevent an envelopment, winning the famous victory. However, the enemy they faced today were utterly silent despite being armed like levies. He felt very uneasy.

He gave his men the signal and they moved to the front of the battle line. The hill that the army had deployed on gave his archers a huge advantage over the enemy archers. He had been placed in command of his own company of some 1 000 men almost a month ago. When he had arrived at the camp of Lord Artabazanes, he had immediately befriended two Persians, who were unfortunately, very prone to gossiping. The news that a member of the legendary Death Seekers and a survivor of the Northern Legion had arrived in camp spread through the ranks like wildfire. In the very same afternoon, Lord Artazabanes had called him to his tent and asked him if he would command and train some of the new recruits as he was desperately short of competent commanders who had seen battle.

Helioketes made a judgement of the enemy force spread out on the plains below them. Something was wrong. They had expected 8 000 men in the army of Philetairos but there was at least 12 000 approaching them now, maybe even 15 000. Still, despite this unexpected surprise, they had a good chance to win the battle. Lord Artazabanes had gathered 6 000 well trained Thureophoroi, the standard medium infantry of the empire, 2 000 Persian and Syrian archers and his personal retinue of 500 heavy cavalry. The army of Philetairos appeared to be primarily composed of Persian Archers and Peasants armed in the same manner as the Parthian spearmen of the east. Helioketes had seen these spearmen before in his time serving in the east and had observed that they broke very easily. However there was something about the way these spearmen marched in synch and they way they locked their shields together as they marched that suggested that today, it would not be so easy.

The enemy were now 250 metres from the base of the hill. If it were the Death seekers in place of these recruits, they would have began to fire already and gotten many devastating volleys in before the enemy even knew that they were in range. However these were not his old companions and he waited patiently until the enemy were close enough before he gave the signal. A thousand arrows arched into the air and showered on the enemy. Hundreds died in that first volley but they kept their pace, not even noticing their fallen comrades. They gave three more volleys before the enemy were at the base of the hill. They marched up steadily and Helioketes gave the order for his archers to fall back behind the main line.

The Thureophoroi lifted their javelins and at their captain's command, they loosened, 6 000 javelins falling on the enemy. Then, a second volley of Javelins followed. The enemy must have lost close to a thousand men by now but they still marched steadily. Then, a single loud note blew into the air. The first line of Thureophoroi charged down the hill using the slope as momentum. The two lines clashed and the sounds of swords clashing and shields breaking rang through the air. He ordered his archers to fire on the middle ranks of the enemy, who were crowded together, inflicting huge casualties. But they did not break. Helioketes realised that these men must have been the surviving veterans of the fallen Bactrian Kingdom, who had all followed Philetairos west to inflict misery in the heartlands of the empire that had stripped them of their lands and freedom.

He had ordered his archers to bring two quivers of arrows with them into battle and this proved wise as they could now shower arrows at their leisure inflicting mass destruction. but although they had killed hundreds and maybe thousands, many more men replaced each that had fallen and they never seemed to waver. The situation at the centre was not well. The Thureophoroi, despite being much better armed were beginning to be pushed back by the sheer force of numbers. The Second line of Thureophoroi now marched downhill to aid their brothers. At a signal, the first line broke off from combat and reformed behind the second line, which charged into enemy spear men. He saw a movement at the back of the enemy lines. They were moving their archers forward.

He ordered his men to concentrate their fire on the archers. Many arrows found their mark, but many hit the other infantry men. They were now in range to return fire. The sky darkened. Helioketes knew what was coming next. This was the hardest part of battle for any archer. When the enemy returned fire and each archer could do nothing but stand and watch as the arrows came and prayed that the arrows hit another man and not himself. They were at the mercy of pure chance in every battle. The fates decided who lived and who died. The arrows made a whistling noise as they approached. When they struck, there were horrible cries among his company.

Three loud notes rang through the air. Helioketes heard a thundering of hooves and saw the heavy cavalry charge into the flank of the enemy. Faced with a flank attack by the companions, their enemy, who had until now been resolute, suddenly broke and began running down the hill. The Thureophoroi ran after them, cutting many down. Helioketes ordered his archers to fire at any of the enemy who remained defiant and soon, they also broke. Helioketes watched as the cavalry and infantry hunted them down without mercy. Then, he saw it, a thousand cavalry men emerging from a cluster of trees and making for the retinue of Artazabanes. Artazabanes saw the threat and wheeled his cavalry around and faced them. The two companies met with the scream of dying men and horses.

Helioketes spotted Lord Artzabanes fighting in his beautifully gilded armour. His opponent was a much older man but he fought with the grace of a Bactrian noble who spent their lives fighting from horseback. Helioketes instantly knew that the man was Philetairos. Philetairos quickly gained the upper hand and with a swift and sudden motion, he slid the tip of his spear past Artazabanes shield and into his chest. Artazabanes fell off his horse and his cavalry panicked and broke. Philetairos quickly turned his attention to the Thureophoroi who were chasing after his men. His charge bought time for his men who had began to reform into lines. However, he had made one fatal mistake: He had come too close to the hill. Of course it was not Philetairo's fault. How could he have known there was a member of the death seekers on the hill? How could he had known that there was a man who could deliver a killing shot at that range? Helioketes only took a second to aim. Then he loosened. The arrow went swift and true, a blur across the battlefield and lodged itself in right in Philetairo's eye, the only inch of his body that was not covered in armour. He was killed instantly. Seeing this, those of his men that had reformed broke again and ran for their lives. The chase went on into the afternoon..

Helioketes crept silently past the sentries posted at the camp. Earlier that night, he had been in a council with the captains of the army. The others had all agreed that to go on to the north without a leader after losing 3000 men was pointless and had voted to return to Babylon despite his protest. So he had silently left the camp. He would not rest until the spirits of his brothers had been avenged. With nothing but his bow, his short sword and a weeks worth of provisions, he began the long journey, into the north....
    Last edited by seleucid empire; 10-06-2012 at 06:50.

well that was the first battle ive written about, I hope you like that. I auto-calced that one and for some reason my general died even though we won. srsly wtf????(this was before i started a new game on VH)

Chapter 11: Discovery
    Winter 249 Seleukeia

It had been a great past few months for Mardonious. He allowed himself to whistle happily as he strode through the Agora, ready to spend some of his gold. They had arrived in the camp of Seron just before he had taken the city of Maryab. Seron had been extremely bold. He had bypassed the Arabian army waiting near the fortress of Carna and went straight for Maryab, the heart of the Sabean Federation who were utterly unprepared for siege. Of all the would-be slave traders throughout the empire, only Mardonious had believed that Seron would actually survive his journey down the desert M'ain with his army intact. His faith was repaid when he was allowed to get first pickings of the slaves, since none of the other slave traders would arrive for months afterwards. He paid a quarter of what was usually paid because the soldiers were so eager to be rid of them. As a result, he had gathered 10 000 of the fittest slaves for a meagre sum and brought them back to Seleukeia to sell for twenty-fold the price he had bought them for. Some of his slaves were educated in mathematics and arts and these he had sold at Palmyra for a hefty sum. Now he was richer than even Archimenes

He stopped by a Merchants store and examined the wines imported from the west.

"Hello friend." greeted the merchant."May I interest you in some fine Greek wine, imported from Olympia?"
    "Yes, three jars of your finest." replied Mardonious. Then he remembered the foul mood Archimenes had been in since yesterday, when he had been insulted at a tavern resulting in a fistfight, "Make it five jars... Do you have any news?"
    "There have been some ill tidings these days."
    "Oh?"
    "Yes, just yesterday I heard that the 12th Army crushed the rebellion of Philetairos near Edessa. They say a lone archer made a near-impossible shot and brought down Philetairos."
    "Interesting" replied Mardonious. Helioketes marched with the 12th and Mardonious wondered if it was his bow from which the arrow flew."But that is hardly bad news."
    'Nay, but they lost a full 4 000 men and Lord Artazabanes lost his life!"
    "That is shocking indeed."
    "What's even more shocking is news from Arabia."
    "Arabia? I have come back from Arabia not a month ago"
    "Haven't you heard of the disaster that has befallen the 4th army?"
    "The fourth army? Of Lord Seron? I have just returned from his camp after the sack of Maryab."
    "You were lucky to have left when you did. His forces were utterly crushed near Carna."
    "What!" exclaimed Mardonious.
    "Yes, the poor general was too kind hearted I believe. He sold many of the men of Maryab as slaves but otherwise didn't harm them. That was his mistake. When he left to attack Carna, and finish of the Arabians in the north, the inhabitants of Maryab revolted and threw out the Garrison. Then the bastards called for help and the Sabean King arrived with a vast army. Trapped between the two large forces and unable to retreat to Maryab, the entire 4th army was annihilated. The few survivors of the disaster made their way back here in disgrace not a week ago"
    "What happened to general Seron?"
    "Well some of the survivors rode past Maryab in an attempt to evade the Sabaen forces. They saw his head on a pike on the city walls... But he will be avenged. The 5th army stationed near Homna has rallied under Seron's Brother-in-Law and now march on Ubar. It is said that their general is far more merciless than Seron."
    "Yes, I have no doubt they will succeed," mused Mardonious, "The empire always wins in the end..."
    Last edited by seleucid empire; 09-22-2012 at 14:56.

Interlude- The Armies of the Empire

The First/Royal Army: Lead by King Antiochus, Alexandros the Black and Sarpedon they are the veterans which created the empire and have never been defeated on the field. They currently roam the steppes, securing the borders.
    Original Strength: 40 000 during the invasion of Egypt
    Current Strength: 30 000 after the Eastern wars

Second Army/The Legion of North: Destroyed. Was originally composed of Mercenaries and the hoplites of the Bosphoran greeks as well as the legendary Death Seekers
    Original Strength: 9 000
    Current Strength: 0

Third Army/The Legion of Cyrene: Protect the city of Kyrene and are the last Bastion of defence against Carthage. Recruited among men of Kyrene and kept at constant 20 000 strength
    Original strength: 20 000
    Current strength: 20 000

Fourth Army/The Sand Raiders: Formerly commanded by General Seron. Destroyed near Carna when surrounded by 80 000 Arabians
    Original Strength: 35 000
    Current Strength: 0

Fifth Army/The Avenging Spirits: Making a perilous journey across the desert of Zafur to reach the Maryab heartlands
    Current strength: 33 000

Sixth Army/Defenders of the West: Protect Greece and Macedonia against the Getai, Romans and Epirotes
    Original Strength: 30 000 after the conquest of Greece
    Current Strength: 20 000

7th/8th/9th army: Disbanded

Tenth Army/The Armenian Guard: lead by a feared and respected general however only numbers 11 000
    Original strength: 11 000
    Current strength: 11 000

Eleventh Army: Was a huge army of mercenaries and levies that conquered India. Although they succeeded they suffered tremendous casualties. Disbanded at Bactra
    Original Strength: 75 000
    Strength after conquest of India: 4 000

12th Army/ The Rebel hunters: Lost half their numbers as well as their general Lord Artazabanes in the battle of Edessa. Now march back to Babylon
    Original Strength: 8 500
    Current strength: 4 500
    Last edited by seleucid empire; 09-16-2012 at 13:12.

Chapter 12: Whispers of the North
    Spring 249 BC Edessa

The Patrons of the Chimera were an unruly lot. They shouted for drinks while grabbing at any of the serving girls who came into range of their hands. The serving girls, daughters of the matron of the tavern had learned quickly how to dodge their patrons' grasps. There were few nights where brawls didn't occur here, yet it was a good place for men to talk where they wouldn't be overheard. The racket of the drunk men made it impossible for anyone to eavesdrop without coming in too close and revealing themselves. On this night, Two men sat in the darkness, talking in hushed voices. They looked alike in feature but one man looked much older than the other. Had anyone noticed them, they would seem like father and son, although in reality, they were brothers, born not one year apart.

"Brother it has been too long." said one
    "Aye it has." replied the other
    "I can see war has taken a toll on you. You look 20 years older now although it has only been 5 since you left home."
    "I have seen horrible things, and I must journey east to bring news to the King."
    "What news?"

The first man hesitated and looked around before speaking
    "The North has fallen to the Sarmatians..."
    "What?! That's impossible! You said yourself in your letters that the northern cities were safe. You said the Sarmatians had no way to breach their high walls. What happened to the stalemate?"
    "Lord Herakleides Artarneou, The Lord of the North was killed. He was hit by an arrow through the neck while he walked the streets of Pantikapaion"
    "An Assassin?"
    "Yes."
    "Were there no guards?"
    "There were many guards. That is the strange thing. I was part of his guard and I witnessed it myself. The arrow came out of the air from the direction of the Barrack towers. It was two blocks away. By the time we reached the tower, whoever had shot the arrow had disappeared."
    "Thats an impossible shot. No-one can hit a man in the neck at that range! Especially within a city with buildings blocking the view"
    "Yes, well, there are rumors. Some say it was a shade of one of the Death Seekers who died ten years ago, come to take his revenge."
    "What do you believe?"
    "I'm not sure what I believe. I thought I saw a figure running across the rooftops. He was a huge man but he moved as swiftly as a shadow. I dismissed it as a trick of the eye but now I am not so certain"

The first man shuddered before continuing "What happened next?"
    "Lord Herakleides' son became the new lord. He believed it was the Sarmatians who had sent the assassin and sent messages to all of the northern cities. He called to himself a vast army, 80 000 strong and marched on Sarmatian lands. The army had a core of hoplites from the Greek cities of the North and many Scythian tribes who joined as archers or heavy cavalry. He even hired vicious Getai and Thracian tribesmen"
    "80 000?! Surely then the Sarmatians would have been crushed?"
    "Nay, it was a foolish idea to face Sarmatians in open land."
    "But I hear the King is doing just that except he has even fewer men! He has taken settlement after Settlement from the Saka barbarians."
    "His army may only number 30 000 but he has the veterans of the Royal army! He is the empires' greatest general along with his brother Alexandros. He also has 4 000 companion cavalry with him. Not even the nomads can stand against those men"
    "Go on brother. What happened next?"
    "We met the Sarmatian horde near one of their few strongholds. They numbered 15 000 horsemen, from three tribes of their Federation. They were led by the High King of the Sarmatians"
    "So few!"
    "Yes, that is exactly what our new lord thought. He ordered his 10 000 Scythian heavy cavalry to charge into the centre of the Sarmatian line. They simply retreated and fired arrows into the Scythians. He then lead his own bodyguard and 5 000 greek cavalry straight at the Sarmatian King. He didn't realise that the lighter Sarmatian cavalry had moved behind his forces. They surrounded his cavalry and destroyed them. Then they turned on the Scythians and routed them. Most of our cavalry was gone as well as our lord. The remaining men began to retreat orderly. The Sarmatians pressed us but our hoplites formed a rearguard and our archers drove them back each time. We slowly retreated, leaving a trail of bodies behind us. We nearly made it to the safety of the cities but then a second army of the Sarmatians arrived from behind."

He stopped talking for a moment, his face contorted as if remembering a painful memory. Then he continued.

"They crashed into our levies and caused an almost instant rout of our front ranks. The Sarmatians who were chasing us then attacked us from behind. The Greeks and Thracians fought almost to a man. I survived because I was part of the group who rode ahead to Pantikapaion to warn the governor. A few weeks later the Sarmatians attacked. Almost all of our men had died in the campaign and even the Sarmatians who were inexperienced in siege warfare managed to break through. I boarded a ship just in time and I left the harbour as the palace went up in flames. The other Greek cities were in the same situation as us. There were almost no men left to defend them and within 2 months, all of the north had fallen except the fortress of Uspe which is now under siege. I reached Armenia safely and I made my way to the camp of Lord Epikrates Syriakes, a distant cousin of Lord Herakleides and commander of the Armenian Guard. Along the Way, I heard news that the formidable fortress of North's Reach which guards the northern passage into Armenia has fallen to the hordes and they have spilled past into Armenia."

"If what you say is true then, the Sarmatians can take Kotais and use it as a base to attack the rest of Armenia!"
    "Nay, have faith, general Epikrates has raised the Armenian Guard and now marches north to fight them."
    "The Armenian Guard is only 11 000 strong. They will not be enough."
    "I think it will. Epikrates is a very competent general, if not a popular one. And his stubbornness legendary. You have heard of the famous siege of Trapezous years ago haven't you?"
    "Yes, as I recall, Epikrates took the city from the Tyrant of the city but before he had consolidated his control, a vast Hayasdan army besieged him in turn."
    "Yes, outnumbered 5 to 1 and out of supplies, he still refused to hand over the city. He ordered his men to eat rats and vermin. Thus they held until Alexandros the Black arrived to relieve them."
    "But these are Sarmatians..."
    "They are having no luck against our canny general. They have only managed to move a few leagues south towards Kotais. Epikrates has been harassing them every step of the road. If anyone can end the threat right now it is he"
    "Well I hope his luck holds."
    "It has nothing to do with luck... I must leave again soon brother and tell the King of this news. When this storm has passed, I will return to you.."

The Empire after the fall of the North
    Last edited by seleucid empire; 09-26-2012 at 12:11.

I hope you liked that chapter. as always any criticism is welcomed

For people who have read my other Seleucid AAR, Road to Immortality they may see some familiar characters return in this one ;)

Chapter 13: Sandstorm Pt. 1
    Spring 249 BC Zafur

"By Ares! Look at all that dust they're kicking up." muttered Draco,"Their army must be huge."
    "Forty Thousand or more I would guess." replied Babak

The two men squatting next to one another made the unlikeliest of comrades. Draco was a small man of a lean stature with a very youthful face, who had just reached manhood. His comrades in the 6th squad of the 2nd Battalion had nicknamed him 'Lizard'. His companion Babak, a dark skinned Babylonian half-blood was a full 2 heads taller and had arms of steel. Both men however, had a number of hideous burn marks all over their bodies. In fact, many Peltastai in the 6th had similar burns but none had as many as these two. The marks were a result of years of service in the 6th Squad, who wielded a secret weapon to battle: Greek Fire

A few years ago, the Peltasts of the Second Battalion had served in the navy as marines and learned the power of Greek-Fire which allowed the small and fairly inexperienced navy of the Empire to win countless victories in the Arabian Gulf against superior opponents. In the years since, the 6th squad of the 2nd battalion had risen to infamy for using Greek Fire in land battles, which was extremely dangerous since no man could predict when and in which direction the wind would change. They had grown more and more adept at using the Fire and even created several devices which would allow them to concentrate it into a small area and cause an explosion. This proved very useful in the siege of Homna 3 years ago, when the 6th were placed at the front of every assault. They had become general Euphorion's favourites, who used them extensively for sapping, assaults and other dangerous missions. Everyone in the army respected them for their reckless courage and called them 'The Flame Breakers'

"They are marching in a very wide column. I think they mean to descend upon us in battle formation before we can react!" exclaimed Babak,"We must ride back and warn the army"

As they returned to the army, they halted at the vanguard where the Flame Breakers were marching and saluted a man wearing the helmet of a captain. The captain was only in his early thirties yet he had a huge scar stretching from his temple to his mouth as well as a limp in his left leg. Every man in the army had seen Captain Planck in action, leading the Flame Breakers. Stories of his missions were the stuff of legends and everyone, enemies and allies alike, held him in respect and awe.

"Hail Captain!" greeted Lizard.
    "What news Lizard?"
    "We've spotted the enemy up ahead. They are kicking up a huge cloud of dust. Babak thinks there could be 40 000 or more of them."
    "Warn the general, he is riding in front of the 7th Battalion, a third of the way down the column. Go quickly!"
    "Yessir!"

They spotted the general in his white war-horse, surrounded by his elite companions. They hailed the generals bodyguards, who parted to allow the two men in. The High General was a rather plain looking man but had the look of cold steel in his eyes.

High General Euphorion

High General Euphorion eyed the two men and their equipment before his posture relaxed and he gave a rare smile.
    "Ahh Flame Breakers! You are the scouts Captain Planck sent out?"
    "Yes my Lord. We have spotted a huge army marching in our direction at a fast pace. We believe there may be 40 000 or more. In any case they outnumber us by at least 10 000 men. They are also marching in a very wide column. I think they mean to come upon us in full battle order and attack before we can deploy"
    "I see. Did you note the composition of any of their forces?"
    "My Lord I believe they have a large regiment of heavy infantry similar to the brown coats we faced at Homna. We saw at least 4 large divisions of those men as well as 10 divisions of their regular skirmishers. The rest of the army we did not see."
    "Very well, return to the vanguard. I will give the order to deploy."

The two men rode back to the vanguard. Draco glanced back. The General was smiling...
    Last edited by seleucid empire; 09-29-2012 at 13:28.

Chapter 14: Sandstorm Pt. 2
    Spring 249 BC Zafur

The sun beat down on the army mercilessly. It heated the men's armour so hot that to Lizard, it felt like being in Hephastious forge. Babak shifted uncomfortably in his armour as did everyone else in the squad. The only one who seemed unaffected was captain Planck who stood absolutely still, his face a mask of seriousness. In front of them, the Arabian army unfolded from its columns and quickly formed into battle order. Babak's suspicion had been proven correct. The enemy army stopped on the opposite hill, hesitant. They had obviously not expected their enemy to be ready and waiting in lines. But soon they began to move again, their confidence in numbers showing. Fifty thousand Arabians would march against the 5th army today, and Fifty thousand would fall. High General Euphorion rode up beside the captain.

"Planck, move the Flame Breakers to the left wing, behind the Babylonians. Await my signal and then attack. You know what to do."

The 6th marched into position and waited. The enemy army was approaching at a steady pace.

"Look at all those horsemen. They must have 5 000 cavalry." exclaimed Lizard.
    "As us?" asked Reudon, the newest recruit of the 6th
    "I haven't seen any horsemen except those of the general's guard. Around 500."

That silenced Reudon. As the Arabian banners came into view, Planck spat on the ground and cursed. Similarly, all along the lines of the 5th army, men spat at the ground and shook their weapons threatening.

"Two Rams and a full moon. The Banners of Marek il Satar" whispered Babak

Marek il Satar was well known to the 5th army. It was he who had convinced General Seron to spare the citizens of Maryab and install him as a governor to keep the population under check. Seron had agreed and Marek had betrayed him by instigating a rebellion and sealing shut the city, thus dooming Seron and the entire 4th army to their bloody fate. General Euporion rode to the front of the lines and began his speech.

"Today we honour the memory of General Seron and our brave comrades of the 4th, who survived a march through hell, only to die because they put their faith in a snake! Do you see those banners? You know who they belong to! They belong to the bastard who betrayed our trusting general! He was unbeatable in battle so the enemy laid him low with the only weapon they have: treachery! Such a desperate act shows us how truly weak they are. Today we will crush them, and then we will continue onwards destroying every city until we arrive at the gates of Maryab. And when we arrive, we will show these Sabaens what happens to those who betray our mercy! Fight well today my Avenging Spirits so that when you meet General Seron in Hades, you can look into his eyes without shame and tell him of our bloody retribution!"

The men roared and their voices were carried by the wind to the enemy ranks. A shuddering motion passed through the Sabaen army. The Persian archers, 6 battalions strong, raised their bows. As the Sabeans reached the bottom of the dune, they fired. 10 000 arrows fell amongst the Sabaens who fell where they stood. The smell of the sweat and blood of cowards filled the air.

The Sabaen skirmishers reached the Seleucid pike line but fled after minutes, seeing the hopelessness of their situation. The rain of arrows continued to fall among the Sabaens shredding their ranks. On the right wing, the Sabaen noble infantry charged into the Thureophoroi, who held firm. The 3rd Battalion Peltestai rained arrows on the nobles and they fled. The Thureophoroi chased after them, seeing the threat too late. 5 000 Sabaen cavalry slammed into their ranks and one battalion broke instantly. General Euphorion charged with his personal guards into the fray. On the left wing, the Sabaen citizen spearmen fought ferociously armed with nothing but a spear and a simple shield. They were men defending their homes and fought bravely. These men stood fast, unlike the cowardly nobles who wore their shiny armour, bragging before battle of how many men they would kill only to run away after minutes of engagement. A real shame that these men would die today, but such is the way of war.

The Babylonians were holding but taking heavy casualties. Then, the signal came: 4 short bursts from the general's horn. Captain planck raised his sword and charged into the flank of the citizen spear men. The entire 6th squad, 300 men in total, followed their beloved captain. They fought furiously with their short-swords, stabbing and thrusting. A large explosion sounded through the air. Planck looked back and saw Lizard and Babak throwing their Greek fire charges everywhere and fighting like berserkers. They both cackled madly every time one of their bombs went off.

"For Ares sake!" cursed Planck.

Several loud explosions happened at once and the Sabaen spear men began to flee in terror.

Kill as many as you can

Those were his orders. He pulled out from under his Cuirass a smiliar device to the ones that Babak and Lizard wielded except instead of dry powder, a dark swishing liquid filled this one. He threw it hard. It arched over the fleeing Sabaens and landed in front of their fleeing ranks. An explosion rocked the dune. The contents of the charge spilled everywhere. Liquid fire spread from one fleeing Sabaen to another. All it took was a simple brush and it would spread from one man's clothes to the next. Soon the entire mass of men were aflame. They emitted inhuman screams and a few dropped into the sand rolling, in an attempt to smother the flames. But these flames did not smother. They burned until there was nothing left to fuel it. They burned until all flesh was gone.

The captain turned to survey the rest of the battle. The Sabaen army was completely routed. The 6th squad marched towards the the generals guard, who sat observing the slaughter of the enemy army. A few men were taking turns pissing on the captured enemy banner. The Flame Breakers walked past the bodies of the Sabaen warrior priest elite who laid sprawled in a large circle. These men were true warriors and had died to a man defending their cowardly and worthless lord. Captain Planck had a sad look in his eyes.

"Captain?"
    "I am alright Lizard. It's just such a waste. These are men just like us. Willing to lay down their lives for honour. It is sad that they met this fate. I have seen as many good men die fighting for our enemies as I have men who fight for the Empire."

Lizard couldn't find the right words to reply so he stood in silence. In the distance he could see a man walking up to the general with a round object in his hands. As the general's guard saw the object they spat. The object was placed on a spike and lifted for the army to see. It was the head of Marek, now a trophy of war.

Another gruesome trophy for the empire...
    Last edited by seleucid empire; 10-12-2012 at 07:42.

Your Favourite Characters?

I have already planned the next 10 or so chapters but for the readers sakes I will let you vote for your favourite characters and I mite put in an extra one of that character. (This includes characters that have been mentioned but not introduced yet)

Vote For:

Mardonious
    Archimenes
    Helioketes
    Ennychos
    Lizard/Draco
    Babak
    Reudon

Lord Vanara

Captain Planck
    Captain Abibaal

Emperor Antiochus II
    Sarpedon
    Alexandros the Black
    Prince Seleukos Kallinikos
    Berenice
    Laodice

General Epikrates Syriakes
    General Euphorion

Grand Chancellor Oxatanies
    Last edited by seleucid empire; 09-29-2012 at 08:15.

Chapter 15: The Twin Thrones
    Spring 249 BC Antioch

"Our Stepmother is up to something, I know it." muttered Seleucus Kallinikos, prince of Syria and heir to the Empire
    "That much is clear already, but what goals and how she plans to achieve them are still a mystery." replied Megasthenes, his younger brother.
    "Berenice is gaining too much power. Grand Chancellor Oxatanies seems to be her new ally in whatever she is planning"
    "I hear rumours that the Grand Chancellor is always present in the queens council chambers...as well as her bed chambers."

Seleucus reeled back,as if struck. "By the Gods! This insult to our father must be dealt with. I will go to the commander of the silver shields tomorrow and.."
    "No, we do not have any proof. No man or woman can ever be convicted based on the testimony of a spy, especially not the queen."
    "A spy?"
    "Yes one of mine. Don't you remember? It has always been my wish to rise to the top of the Sphere of Shadow but father has remained adamant that I do not join them. He said something about 'princes needing to work in the light and not behind cloaks and daggers' which I find rather ironic since he uses the services of the Shadow Battalion frequently and he had no objections when our uncle Prince Sarpedon assumed control of it. I have followed father's wishes but I have nonetheless employed a few agents of my own."
    "Ahh yes, you wanted the Throne of Shadow." replied Sarpedon, thoughts rushing through his head.

The Throne of Shadow, the highest seat of the Sphere of Shadow, the Empire's vast net of spies, agents and assassins which spread not just across the empire, but across the entire length of the known world. The men and women who served the Sphere were known collectively as the Shadow Battalion. The Throne of Shadows was a power that rivalled that of the Emperor himself and that made the current Shadow Lord, Sarpedon, the second most, if not the most powerful man in the empire. He was certainly the most feared and dangerous. The Sphere controlled the House of Cloaks, The House of Death, The House of Twilight and the House of Silk. The House of Cloaks were the imperial spies which provided valuable information to the Shadow Lord, who in turn passed it onto the King. The House of Death was the host of imperial assassins and they were more often successful against their target than not. The affairs of the House of Twilight was a mystery that only the Lord of Shadows knew. It was rumoured that they dealt with the supernatural although many who believed such a rumour also believed that the House of Twilight was filled with superstitious fools wasting the Sphere's time and resources. The House of Silk, despite its deceptive name was the most frightening and terror inducing sector of the Sphere. A mere whisper of its name would cause utter panic and fear because whenever their name came up, a trail of death would follow. It was no wonder that Megasthenes wanted to be the Lord of Shadows. He had always been subtle and cunning in that way, more like their uncles than their father.

"We should send a message to our father and uncle Sarpedon."
    "Nah, there is no need. This may be a recent event but no doubt Sarpedon's spies are already on their way to bring him a message. He has placed many of his best in Antioch. He always called it the Viper's nest."
    "Then we should send a message to our mother Laodice in Ephesus and warn her. If my worst suspicions are correct, then we may be dead very soon and then the queen will come after her."
    "We must also escape now, before she makes her move."
    "Nay, it is not the right time yet..."
    Last edited by seleucid empire; 09-29-2012 at 08:40.

As of the last update:
    Archimenes is 35 (Joined the Elite companions at the request of Alexandros when he was only 13 and fought for 21 years, making hiim 34 at the beginning of the story)
    Mardonious is 16
    Helioketes is 33 (Left Crete and arrived at Antioch at the age of 12 in 270 BC so he is 32 when the story begins)
    Berenice is 26
    Lizard is 19
    Captain Planck is 31 (yeh i changed it)
    Babak is 24

The Rest of the Characters have Pictures and you can deduce their age since its only been one year into my aar.

Some characters I have left them out because its not really necessary for me to include their age
    Last edited by seleucid empire; 09-29-2012 at 13:46.

Chapter 16: Queens Gambit
    Spring 249 BC Antioch

Two lone figures stood in the Great Throne Room of Antioch. The first was a man who had reached his fiftieth year, the first whispers of grey hair showing. He wore a robe of the finest silk, a great luxury which marked him as a powerful Lord. The second was a young and extremely beautiful woman of 26, her belly showing the early signs of pregnancy. On her head she wore a thin silver crown.

The queen stared around the familiar room. On the highest dais sat the Throne of the Emperor, A monstrously large chair of Silver and Steel. The back of the chair was adorned with etchings of 9 Sigils: The 9 Regions of the Empire. In the centre of them, a figure carved with the likeness of Alexandros Megas. Not a single piece of cloth or cushion sat on the chair for comfort. Next to the throne, raised on a smaller dais, was a chair of bronze. It had carvings of famous battles and attached to the top of the chair was a great bronze spear. The seat of The Lord Commander of the Army. An alcove was built into the left side of the hall. The alcove was built so that no light penetrated its depths and and a man standing or sitting in it would not be seen at all. Although it was not visible, the queen knew that there was another chair built into the Alcove. It was carved out of dense, dark ebony: The Throne of Shadows. Berenice shuddered.

"My Queen have you listened to a single word I've been saying?" asked Oxatanies.
    "No, should I have?" replied the queen sharply

Oxatanies sighed.

"My queen, I was telling you how much I would like to **** you right now on top of the throne." replied Oxatanies casually.

That got her attention. She hissed.

"You idiot, the eyes and ears of the Lord of Shadows are everywhere."
    "No need to fret about that anymore, I'm sure one of Sarpedon's agents is already on his way to inform him."
    "How can you be sure?"
    "We cannot keep any secrets from him"
    "Then we need quicken our plans."
    "As I was saying just then, but you were too busy lost in your thoughts."
    "We need to get rid of my step-son Seleucus."
    "If the crown prince dies, the news will spread like wildfire. He is popular with the people and the army. We cannot act so rashly yet. When we are ready, then we will kill him."
    "What about Megasthenes? He is the dangerous one. He is clever and will have suspected something already if his older brother hasn't. He is so much like Sarpedon in every way that even I begin to wonder if the former queen Laodice was as faithful to her husband as they say."
    "Yes, I agree that he is a bigger threat for now. Since he is not as well liked as Seleucus, killing him will not arose as much suspicion. However, no doubt he has already told his brother of his fears. We must act only when we are ready."
    "How many mercenaries have we smuggled into the city so far?"
    "Around 10 000 I would guess. That's barely enough to overcome the city guard and I don't even want to think about the Hypaspistai and the Silvershields right now."
    "Then we are not ready. Keep in mind that we need to act quickly. We need to take Antioch and travel to Egypt to rouse the Egyptians to our cause."
    "You are sure that the Egyptians will accept you?"
    "Of course. I was taken away from Egypt only 12 years ago to marry Antiochus, they will not have forgotten me so quickly. I am the last Ptolemy! The child inside my belly is the heir to all of Egypt"
    "Yes, but even with the support of the people, to take Egypt, we will need to bring an army to drive out the imperial forces and to make sure we arrive in Egypt without being stopped along the way. We must leave the mercenaries in Antioch to maintain Loyalty."
    "We cannot raise an army quickly enough!"
    "No, but alas, something has come up to our good fortune. Lord Vanara is here and I believe we have found our solution."
    "Vanara?"
    "Yes, he arrived this morning with 1 000 cavalry of the Elissian Guard and requests and audience with you. It would be good to make an ally of him. He controls the Satrap of Phoenicia. He can raise a sizeable army and he controls the fleet of Tyre, almost 300 ships strong. We can go to Egypt by Sea and bring his army with us to take Alexandreia. Then all of Egypt will quickly be yours."
    "What does he want?"
    "I do not know but he is a prickly man. It is safe to say he has guessed our plans and comes to offer us his support in exchange for something"
    "Very well, tell him I will meet him now."
    "He is weary from the journey, we can see him at night when less witnesses may be around. Meanwhile, I have a hunger that needs to be satisfied now.."
    Last edited by Ludens; 10-01-2012 at 19:35. Reason: language ea

Chapter 17: The Pact
    Spring 249 BC Antioch

"So what is it you have come for Lord Vanara?"
    "My Queen, I ask a simple request. I am hunting down the criminal that slew my son. I ask that you lend me 500 horsemen for pursuit and send a decree to all of the other Lords to make sure I am unhindered in my search."
    "Really? Why should I do that?"

Vanara smiled. "I have heard things my queen. That you have made certain plans with the Grand Chancellor while you were...in your bed chambers together."

Berenice turned white with fury. "Guards!"
    "That would not be wise." said Vanara,"My nephew is eating lunch with the Lord Commander of the Silver Shields. If I am not back by noon, he will tell him everything. Besides, you need me."
    "What makes you think that?"
    "I am no fool, if you are planning what I think your planning, then you will need me. My Satrapy lies between Antioch and Egypt and you must pass Sidon to reach it. If I choose not to help you, you will never reach it. I promise you that. I am not asking for much. Between you and the Lord Chancellor, you have enough power to give me this decree."
    "Fine, but when I ask, you must be ready with your army and fleet to help me."
    "Thank you my queen. It will be as you say..."
    Last edited by seleucid empire; 10-08-2012 at 03:48.

Chapter 18: North's Reach
    Spring 249 BC outside the Fortress of North's Reach, Egrisi, Northern Armenia

Epikrates, the High General of the Armenian Guard, surveyed the Fortress in front of him. The only path that led up to the fortress of North's reach was one that had been forcibly cut through the rock of the hill. The Fortress itself sat atop the hill which was round to allow the fortress a clear view in every direction. Clearly, it had been built to withstand attacks from enemies and treacherous allies alike. Looking over its walls, he saw no marks of siege. How then, had it fallen? Epikrates decided that the garrison commander must have baulked at the sight of the horde and surrendered the fortress without a fight. What idiots! They had passed the bodies of the garrison on the way and Epikrates had then believed that they had fought to a man and were dragged and dumped here. Now he knew. They had made a deal but the Sarmatians had turned on them and used them for shooting practice.

Epikrates pondered his options. He could order an assault against the mighty defences of Norths Reach which were built to easily withstand armies several times the size of the one Epikrates commanded now. His forces were veterans however, and he commanded several battalions of Georgian assault infantry. If he settled for a siege, he could destroy them with hunger. No armies would come to relieve them since Epikrates had destroyed the main horde several weeks ago. The Sarmatians really didn't have a chance to begin with. Armenia contained the largest network of Fortresses and Fortified mountain towns in the entire empire. Over 1 000 fortresses were built into the sides and peaks of mountains or built to guard the valleys. On top of that were around 5 000 fortified mountain towns which sat halfway up mountains and were inaccessible to hostile forces. Epikrates' scouts had discovered the trail of destruction. The Sarmatians had attacked several unfortified villages along a valley and had taken them with light casualties. However, when they had reached the first fortress in their path, their forces had broken like water on the rocks. The remnants of the horde had fled north with Epikrates in pursuit. He had caught up with them in the night and surrounded them. Come dawn, he ordered his archers to fire down into the Sarmatian camp and butcher them. The cream of the horde had been slain, the men who now garrisoned Norths Reach were vassals and slaves to the Sarmatians.

Epikrates gestured to one of his companions. The man rode to the gates of the fortress. He pulled from his pouch, the head of the Sarmatian chief and threw it hard over the walls. The he shouted so all the defenders could hear.

"My master, the High General Epikrates has destroyed your horde. Surrender this fortress and leave our lands and we will grant you your lives."

A speaker on the ramparts shouted something back. The companion rode back and proclaimed,"My Lord General, they have agreed. They ask you to give them time to gather their belongings and march out."

An hour later the gates swung open and a line of men began to march out of the gates in single file. Epikrates' men quickly marched into the fortress and took control of its towers and ramparts. The line of Sarmatian soldiers reached the end of the valley, before a unit of Thureophoroi appeared, blocking their way. The Sarmatians became fearful. They started wailing as Epikrates rode up with his elite cavalry. A man stepped forward from the throng and spoke in garbled Greek

"You promise us our lives." he said, staring accusingly at the general
    "Indeed I did and so you will live, but you have raised arms against the empire and there is a price to be paid for that. You will each lose two fingers on whichever hand you use to draw your bow."

They rode past the Sarmatians as the first screams of pain began. They came over the edge of the valley and beyond they saw a vast plain meeting the foot of Caucasian mountains, which ended sharply. The plain stretched on in every direction with no signs of life.

"The plains of Dahyu Siraca" muttered Epikrates.
    "My lord we are to march into that??" asked his companion
    "Yes Crotus, the Fortress of Uspe lies there and we must relieve it before it falls."
    "But my Lord, those are the Steppes. Just like the Sarmatians we have defeated, we would be fighting in land that is ill suited for our army and advantageous for our enemy. We could be wiped out."
    "I have fought on the steppes before."
    "My Lord?"
    "Ahh, I forget that you have only come into my retinue recently. Ask you comrades in the companions. I was the one who conquered Dahyu Siraca and brought it into the empire in the first place."
    "But Lord Alexandros the Black.."
    "No, he conquered the Greek cities near the coast and expelled their Sarmatian garrisons. That was an easy enough task. I was the one who had to march inland on the steppes to Uspe and then fight the main Sarmatian horde. I lost a lot of good men in that campaign, and Alexandros got all the credit."
    "I'm sorry to hear that my Lord."
    "Well, the past is the past. I think it best if we focus on the present. We will march out there and we will defeat them."

Crotus began to see his general in a new light.

Epikrates the unpopular, Epikrates the harsh, Epikrates the Stubborn, Epikrates the Conquerer...
    Last edited by seleucid empire; 10-04-2012 at 13:26.

aww crap i just realised i wrote son in chapter 17 instead of nephew

it shoulde be :My nephew is eating lunch with the Lord Commander of the Silver Shields.

Chapter 19: The Black Citadel
    Spring 249 BC Elymais, The Black Citadel, Headquarters of the Black Guard

Archimenes found Mardonious on the highest walls of the citadel, staring at the distant ground, nearly 700 metres below them.

"Impressive isn't it?" asked Archimenes
    "That is an understatement. Seven sectors with seven rings of defences and the lowest one is 200 metres off the ground. This is the largest and most impressive fortress I have ever seen."
    "Then you haven't seen Tempestfall."
    "Tempestfall?"
    "Yes, the largest fortress in the Empire, and the World. The Black Citadel is the second largest but Tempestfall is 5 times as large and can garrison 150 000 men."
    "That would make this fortress look like a hovel."
    "Nah, tempest fall may be the largest fortress but The Black Citadel is a far greater challenge to take. It's built into a mountain and seven rings of defences would stop any army."
    "And with the black guard guarding it..."
    "Millions would not be enough to take it."

"So where are the black guards Archimenes?"
    "You have seen them already. They opened the gates for us. They are everywhere."
    "Those men? They are not companions."
    "No, the companion cavalry regiments of the Guard are all with Alexandros. The Infantry regiments have been stationed here, around 5 000 strong. They may not be as famous as our cavalry but they are deadly in combat."
    "I see, so we are safe here from Vanara."
    "Yes, but I do not intend to stay here. I'm going to travel to my own lands. I'm going to return to Green Shade Hall "

It had been several weeks ago when they had received the news from a merchant, that Lord Vanara was travelling along the Royal Road escorted by 1 500 cavalry, including the Elissian Guard. There was only one possible reason for his trip. The hunt had resumed. The fact that Vanara had not been questioned or stopped along the way, meant that Hector had not succeeded in his mission and was probably dead. No doubt Vanara had a hand in it.

"You plan on luring Vanara into a trap and avenging Hector." stated Mardonious with a sigh of acceptance.
    "Yes."
    "You do not even know if Hector is dead or not. He may have been delayed somewhere or reached Sidon after Vanara had left already."
    "Do you really believe that Mardonious?"
    "Alas, no.."
    "I will avenge Hector and strangle that snake."
    "Then I will come with you..."
    Last edited by seleucid empire; 10-08-2012 at 05:54.

Lover of Beauty Member Imperator Invictus's Avatar
    in the lands of the Free Dacians, just outside Dacia Felix

The Gods blessed us with our brother in war with the ephitet "Seleucid Empire". There is a better Rome Total War player, Europa Barbarorum player, or even an EB Seleucid campaign player, but a better AAR Author there is none!!

Quote Originally Posted by Imperator Invictus View Post
    The Gods blessed us with our brother in war with the ephitet "Seleucid Empire". There is a better Rome Total War player, Europa Barbarorum player, or even an EB Seleucid campaign player, but a better AAR Author there is none!!
    thank you! This is probably the best praise (If i interpreted that correctly) I have ever gotten from anyone in the forums :D

Chapter 20: Storm Clouds
    Summer 248 BC Gava-Aursa, the Steppes of Dahyu Aursa

The Warlords hold was a shabby hall of wood, poorly constructed. However, it was probably the largest building in the steppes for hundreds or even thousands of leagues. The former nomad city of Gava-Aursa was nothing more than a town compared to the great cities of the Empire. As Sarpedon approached, two guards quickly stepped aside to let him in. Inside, he found Alexandros and Antiochus hunched over a map of the Sarmatian territories. They both looked up as he entered.

"Brother, cousin, ill news has reached my ears." stated Sarpedon
    "Well?" asked Antiochus.
    "Queen Berenice has declared an open rebellion and taken Antioch."
    "What?!" exclaimed both Alexandros and Antiochus.
    "She is also pregnant with Lord Oxatanies child."
    "By the Gods!" exclaimed Alexandros
    "How did she take Antioch?" asked Antiochus.
    "She smuggled 15 000 mercenaries into the city. When the time came, they lured the hypaspistai and silvershields to a feast and slaughtered them. Then they fell on the unsuspecting city guards. It was all done in a day. In addition, five hundred noble families have been killed on her orders."

Antiochus turned visibly pale.

"And my sons?" he asked, shaken.
    "My sphere agents helped the entire Royal family escape out of the city and brought them to Ephesus where you exiled queen Laodice. They are now raising an army to fight back. Our sons and relatives are safe for now."
    "Thank the Gods" said Alexandros. Then he turned to Antiochus and said, "Cousin, I told you years ago it was a bad idea to marry that Egyptian *****! Laodice was a good queen and you cast her out."
    "It was a necessary action. I needed Berenice to claim Egypt. If I had not, we would still be fighting rebellions up and down the Nile to this day! Laodice understood my actions and only made me promise one thing: That our son Seleucus will ascend the throne after me!"

"What is done is done, we need to focus on what to do now." interrupted Sarpedon.
    "Just cut her throat!" roared Alexandros."Surely you have one agent capable in the sphere."
    "I have many capable agents!" snapped Sarpedon, "But she will be prepared. She has Neoptolemus of Karia, the greatest warrior in the empire as her personal bodyguard. You, yourself gave him into her service"
    "Neoptolemus is loyal to me.." said Alexandros
    "Was loyal to you, but I'm guessing that its changed now. After all, I don't think that Oxatanies is the only one who she spread her legs for..."
    "Neoptolemus was never trained as a bodyguard, he may be the greatest warrior but surely he has never faced assassins of the same calibre as those found in the sphere."
    "Yes, I have plenty of assassins who can easily kill them both, however, they are unavailable. You asked me to send my best to Roma to assassinate the members of the senate who oppose making peace with us. In between missions, they are unreachable. Such is the way of the sphere. However, I will try and get the word across to Flashblade or maybe Quicksilver..."

Antiochus flinched when he heard the name.

Quicksilver, Sarpedon's best assassin. Memories came flooding back to slaughter he had witnessed nearly six years ago. The Siege of Bactra was at an end. Only the palace remained, held by those desperate soldiers still loyal to the Bactrian King Diodotos. Four days they successfully held off Antiochus' forces. On the fifth, the Empire's forces rushed to gates again, only to find them unguarded. The assault force made their way cautiously to the throne room where a horrific scene greeted them. The room was filled with bodies. 400 elite warriors of the Bactrian Guard lay dead, their limbs and intestines scattered everywhere. All of them had their throats cut and a few had lost their heads completely. Sitting calmly on the throne was quicksilver, and he was Smiling. In his hand was a spear with Diodotos' head on top of it. All that slaughter, done by a singe man. Antiochus had not asked how he had managed to achieve it. He had not wanted to know..

"No" whispered Antiochus."No assassins. She has the support of Egypt behind her. If we assassinate her, then Egypt will continue to resist us. We will wait for her to raise the Egyptians to her cause, and then crush her in open battle. This resentment has been building up for far too long. An assassination will not stop Egypt from rebellion."
    "My spies tell me that the population of Antioch is hostile towards her." continued Sarpedon,"But the presence of 15 000 mercenaries will keep them from troubling her."
    "What does she plan to do next?" asked Alexandros.
    "Well she has seized the treasury and hired another army of Mercenaries. They are on their way to Ephesus to put it under siege and kill the prince. Berenice has lead the Phoenician army down to Egypt and taken Alexandreia as well. Naturally, the population welcomed her as their rightful queen. Our loyal Satraps have fled down to Nubia and Ethiopia. They control Meroe, Axum and Ptolemaios Theron and are raising an army to counter-attack."

"Phoenician army?" asked Antiochus
    "Vanara, that snake.." hissed Alexandros.
    "We will return to the Heartlands immediately, marching through Armenia on the way" said Antiochus." I have received word from High General Epikrates that he is on the march for Uspe. If he succeeds in relieving the fortress then we will meet them halfway. I will hand him control of half the royal army so he can continue the campaign in the north and continue south with my core of cavalry and infantry."

Sarpedon nodded approvingly. "As I have told you countless times, we should have returned years ago. Now we face a massive rebellion."

"Not for long..."
    Last edited by seleucid empire; 10-10-2012 at 13:05.

Interlude

blue = territory under Berenice's control
    black = territories under the Emperor's control

wow, civil war. But I think that Berenice's rebels are doomed, unless Carthage helps them or/and High General Epikrates changes sides or claims the throne for himself.

Quote Originally Posted by seleucid empire View Post
    Your Favourite Characters?

I have already planned the next 10 or so chapters but for the readers sakes I will let you vote for your favourite characters and I mite put in an extra one of that character. (This includes characters that have been mentioned but not introduced yet)

Vote For:

Mardonious
    Archimenes
    Helioketes
    Ennychos
    Lizard/Draco
    Babak
    Reudon

Lord Vanara

Captain Planck
    Captain Abibaal

Emperor Antiochus II
    Sarpedon
    Alexandros the Black
    Prince Seleukos Kallinikos
    Berenice
    Laodice

General Epikrates Syriakes
    General Euphorion

Grand Chancellor Oxatanies

So far, my favourite is Helioketes, the Cretan archer, I'm curious what happened to him after the episode in Crimea

wow, civil war. But I think that Berenice's rebels are doomed, unless Carthage helps them or/and High General Epikrates changes sides or claims the throne for himself.
    ahh well, she controls egypt and Syria, two key provinces and the rest of the empire is newly conquered. The King only holds a portion of the heartlands to draw his best troops. He is also cut off from Macedonia and Asia Minor
    Last edited by seleucid empire; 10-10-2012 at 21:37.

So far, my favourite is Helioketes, the Cretan archer, I'm curious what happened to him after the episode in Crimea
    Haha I wont give too much away but you will definitely be seeing him around ;)
    Last edited by seleucid empire; 10-10-2012 at 21:46.

Chapter 21: Greeks and Nomads
    Summer 248 BC Dahyu Siraca

The outriders sent by the General days ago had finally returned. They had confirmed that the Sarmatian horde was no longer besieging Uspe and was now heading in their direction.

"How many?" asked Epikrates
    "16 000 or more, all horsemen. They will be here by early afternoon" replied the scout.
    "Good work, get some rest soldier."

Crotus turned to Epikrates, "My Lord, perhaps we should find a more suitable position. Surely we cannot best them in these open plains. There isn't a single mound or hill in sight."
    "What would you have me do Crotus? March our army for days and days in search for a better position? As you said before there is not a single hill in sight. Besides, they will be here by afternoon."
    "Our infantry cannot hope to catch their horse-archers in the open. This was how the Great Northern Host fell only months ago, and they had 80 000 men!"

"The Great Northern Host was not a real imperial army like ours." replied Epikrates.
    "What's the difference? They had plenty of heavy infantry and cavalry and all kinds of troop types yet they still lost because they were stupid enough to face the Sarmatians in the open"
    "But they were not an imperial army." repeated Epikrates

Seeing Crotus' blank expression, he explained further.
    "Crotus, do you know what the most dangerous thing in the world is?"
    "No.."
    "The most dangerous thing in the world is an Imperial Seleucid army. Do you know what sets it aside from armies of any other nation?"
    "Our Generals?"
    "Every nation has some good generals. It is our Organisation.."
    "Sir?"

"Our organisation, training and chain of command is the epitome of military perfection. High Generals, Legion generals, commanders, captains, sergeants, lieutenants, regiment commanders, troop commanders file commanders and so on... No civilisation in the world has even a fifth of the different officer ranks that we have in our armies. Our armies are organised down to the last man, so thoroughly that they become like living organisms, like a body able to move any of its limbs as soon as the brain commands it. Even Romans with their ability to recruit huge armies quickly and their flexible maniples have nothing nearly as complex as our military systems. We may still use the outdated phalanxes in our armies, but the organisation and training provided for imperial armies ensures that they far outshine anything the Romans have. I once saw a company of levy phalangites, fresh out of the training ground who wheeled their entire unit around within seconds to meet the charge of a group of cataphracts. That kind of manoeuvre and discipline would not have been possible for any other Kingdom, especially not with phalangites. Also, our chain of command means that only capable men are allowed to command imperial armies. It is promotion based on ability rather than noble birth, allowing our armies to be commanded by the best generals and leaders possible. It is because of these factors that the empire has bested every enemy it has faced so far despite facing huge numerical disadvantages every step of the way."

Before Crotus could respond, cries of alarm sounded from the ranks. Epikrates wheeled his horse around and scanned the horizon. In the distance a large mass of horsemen had appeared.

"It appears that they have arrived much quicker than we anticipated..Don't look so gloomy Crotus, if nothing else I say has settled you then at least remember that the empire has bested many nomad nations before. The Sakae and Parthians come to mind."

Crotus managed a weak smile and turned to survey the rest of the army. The Infantry formed up into ranks, 8 000 infantry and 3 000 archers deploying in a strong and flexible crescent. They had recruited several thousand mercenary steppe horsemen along the way, lesser tribes like the scythians and alans who had lost their lands to the Sarmatian onslaught and now sought vengeance. These men formed up behind the infantry in the safety of the crescent, around 4 000 in number.

The Sarmatian horde approached and began to scream their war cries and the Steppe mercenaries responded to the challenge, howling. The infantry of the 11th were perfectly silent. As the horde came closer, the archers let lose a volley into their midst. Horses toppled and the Sarmatians returned fire, the first volley hitting the shields of the hoplites. A group of Sarmatians horse archers broke off from the horde and wheeled to the left. Epikrates lifted his sword in the air and the entire cavalry arm of the 11th began to charge. The Sarmatian horse archers retreated, leading the cavalry in a fruitless chase. Crotus looked back and saw the majority of the Sarmatian horde crash into the crescent.

What is the general doing? Why would he send all of our cavalry on this chase and leave the infantry unprotected?

The Crescent was tightening, the infantry pushed back by the onslaught. Suddenly, Epikrates blew his horn and the charge stopped. He shouted new orders and the entire cavalry force wheeled around and charged into the backs of the horde. The Alan mercenaries dropped their bows and pulled out their heavy lances. The companion cavalry lowered their spears. The impact was devastating. The Sarmatian horde broke instantly, 15 000 tribesmen fleeing in terror.

"Chase them down!" ordered Epikrates. The Steppe cavalry dispersed into smaller squadrons and began to methodically hunt down the fleeing Sarmatians.

At the end of the day, the bodies were tallied. The Sarmatian horde was destroyed at the cost of 3 000 infantry and 2 000 cavalry. Crotus approached Epikrates.

"That was some brilliant tactic general. You let the Sarmatians believe we were foolishly chasing their light cavalry and wheeled the cavalry around as soon as the Sarmatians had attacked."
    "The simplest of traps Crotus, nothing more.."

Both men turned at the sound of the horns. A company of Greek cavalry, not part of the 11th, was approaching their position. One of the riders urged his mount forward.
    "General! The Emperor and the first army are a days march away. He sends his congratulations for this victory and wishes to converge at Uspe."

The Generals face showed worry at these words. "If the Emperor is this far south, something must be amiss..."
    Last edited by seleucid empire; 10-13-2012 at 09:48.

Chapter 22: The Ghosts of Green-Shade Hall
    Summer 248 BC Elymais, Green-Shade Hall, the Seat of Archimenes

As Mardonious passed through the gates of Green-Shade Hall, a feeling of desolation overcame him. The fortress had witnessed so much death and horror within it's walls that the black stones themselves cried out. No wonder Archimenes had moved his wife to Antioch. Even the pissed-stained walls of the capital were preferable to this place of death.

"Archimenes...What happened here? Why do the spirits of the dead hang over this place?"
    "It is said..that Green-shade Hall was once a place of beauty and abundance and was called the Green Palace. A Persian Nobleman owned these estates and his servants and people loved him. All of that changed when Xerxes ascended the throne of the Persian empire, the same accursed Xerxes who invaded Greece with a host of millions. Xerxes took away the nobleman's son for the war. The son was killed in the battle of Thermopylae and when the Nobleman heard, he went mad with grief. He lured all of his subjects into the hall for a feast...and then set fire to the place with them inside…"

Mardonious took this in silently. Finally, he asked, “What happened to the nobleman?”
    “He locked himself inside the hall with his people. He also died in the flames.”

On the main steps, a group had gathered to greet the entourage. In the front was an old man, his beard white with age. He stepped forward and spoke with a crooked smile on his face.
    “So, the boy who set out all those years ago, returns as a man to claim what is his.”
    “Hello Aristomes. I see old age has not made you any less poetic,” growled Archimenes.
    The old steward chuckled. “So my Lord, have you truly come to reside over us or does your visit have another purpose.”
    “I am afraid it is the latter, and one that may cost my people dearly.”
    “Ahh I see now, you bring a large armed host with you. You mean to bring war to your own lands.”
    “I have 300 members of the black guard infantry with me. Behind us are 1 000 Galatian mercenaries which were stationed in the Black Citadel. Further still, are the forces of Lord Vanara, come to kill me.”
    “I see. You mean to set a trap for this Vanara. Hiding your galatians in the countryside and then using them to sweep behind his forces while they are attacking Green-Shade Hall.
    “One day Aristomes, you will have to tell me something of your history. You have always surprised me with your knowledge of warfare.”
    "Some day I will" he replied, then his face became serious. “My Lord, although we have not seen you in 20 years, we are still your loyal subjects. We will stand by you and not betray you. You have sent us many gifts from your campaigns and we have used the gold to expand our trades and flourish. There is not a county in a hundred leagues as prosperous.”
    “That may change; no doubt Vanara will loot the land around us if we do not manage to defeat him quickly.”
    “I see, well you had better be ready by the time he arrives…”
    Last edited by seleucid empire; 10-14-2012 at 06:48.

Chapter 23: Quicksilver
    Summer 248 BC Armenia

Helioketes was exhausted. Months of running and hiding on the vast steppes had taken its toll on him. The Sarmatians were not the only ones he had been avoiding. Two weeks ago, he stumbled on an imperial army and had narrowly avoided detection. Guilt racked his very soul. He had not fathomed the consequences of his actions and now 80 000 soldiers lay dead as well as the hundreds of thousands of civilians who had been butchered in the north. He had slain Herakleidies Atarneou and the spirits of his vengeful Death Seekers would finally find peace. But now the souls of hundreds of thousands would haunt him in turn.

The sound of wolves filled the air. Large Armenian beasts who hunted packs. They were closing in. Helioketes did not care anymore. If his fate was to be ripped apart by wolves, he would welcome it. It would bring an end to the guilt at least. He lay down on the hard ground, resting his head on a boulder and closed his eyes...

He was awakened by the smell of roasted meat, its scent filling the air. He opened one eye, and then two and the world slowly came into focus. Beside him was a camp fire with a Deer roasting on a spit. Next to the fire sat a man, his face covered by his black hood. The man seemed to be staring at something in the distance. Helioketes slowly reached for his bow..

"How rude of you Helioketes, to even think of killing the man who saved your life from vicious wolves." the man said suddenly.

Helioketes snatched his bow and reached for an arrow, only to find his quiver missing.

"Looking for this?" asked the man, lifting Helioketes quiver. In his other hand was Heliokete's shortsword.
    "Who are you?"
    "Ah yes, I'm afraid now I am the one being rude. I should have introduced myself. My name is Quicksilver."

The name rang a familiar bell in Helioketes' mind but he could not quite remember where he had heard the name before. That is, until the man pulled out two long knives and began to polish them.

Oh Gods! Not that Quicksilver. Not the master assassin who's name was a whisper in the wind. An urban legend, told to kids to make them more obedient...

"I know what you are. What are you doing here assassin? How do you know my name?"
    "Assassin! No, no, please, I am merely a servant to a man of nobler blood than mine. Gods know I have less pure blood in me than a stray mongrel." said quicksilver. He had chuckled at the last part of his sentence as if it were an inside joke. "I am merely passing through this place. As for how I know your name, that's simple. You don't kill powerful warlords such as Philetairos and Herakleidies without someone asking questions. I am a...fan...of your work archer. Both generals killed by impossible shots fired from even more impossible distances. That is impressive Helioketes."

Oh ****, he means to recruit me into the sphere...

"No" said Helioketes
    "Excuse me?" asked Quicksilver, whose lips turned upwards into a smile.
    "I will not join your house of assassins Quicksilver. Your intentions are clear to me now."

At this, quicksilvers grin became even broader.

"Ahh, but you see my dear friend. You are already serving my cause and you have been for the last 20 years in your campaigns. Sphere agent or not, you will continue to serve our cause."
    "No I will not kill any Lords for you or the Sphere."
    "But who said the Sphere wanted you to assassinate Lords? The Sphere have plenty of assassins who can do that. You serve us in a much higher way as a soldier. After all, my father's realm holds no distinction for those who enter. Lord or slave, they are the same to my father. He prefers quantity, that greedy bastard and you have made him very happy with your recent actions. His realm is now crowded with a few hundred thousand more occupants."
    "Your father's realm?"
    "Yes, yes, a great realm which you will eventually see. Alas, I must be off now, I leave you your weapons and there is sufficient meat left on that deer to last you until the border of the heartlands, if that is indeed where you were headed. Farewell, I'm quite certain we will meet again and I am looking forward to it!"

Helioketes watched the man walk away in silence, pondering over the assassin's words.

What was he talking about? He must be mad. He probably isn't even the real quicksilver. He's just a madman

But his gut feeling told him otherwise... Then, realisation hit him like a hammer.

A realm which I have sent people. A few hundred thousand more occupants. But not occupants. Souls. Souls of the northmen who were butchered by the Sarmatians. And there is only one place that souls go: To the Underworld. To the Realm of Hades.

And that would make Quicksilver...the son of Hades...
    Last edited by seleucid empire; 10-15-2012 at 10:32.

Jive 

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast