Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So I kind of got mugged

Default So I kind of got mugged

I was driving my sister and her young kid back to their place in a nearby town, when we stopped to eat a packed lunch.
    I just parked the car a little way off the road and we were eating, when I notice these two young men....twenty-ish something looking at us from a distance. After some five minutes they and a third guy come over, and tell me that I'm trespassing on their land. I politely tell them that I'm sorry and we're about to leave. The two other chaps though are standing in front of the car, and he says that I'll have to pay a 'rent' for using his land.
    His tone was aggressive, but the three of them weren't very big, and I was confident that if it came to blows I could stand my ground long enough to scare them off. So I get out of the car. He backs off, and suddenly starts abusing me, asking me to give him a five hundred rupees. I refuse and tell him to shove off, before things get any worse. At this he directs the two others to pick up some big stone from nearby and tells me that if I don't pay, they'll break the windscreen and windows of my car. My sister and her kid are sitting inside, and all of a sudden I feel more helpless than I've ever done in my life or ever want to again.
    I had some 400 bucks on me, I took out my wallet and handed him 200 and tell him that's all I have. He seems satisfied and asks me to get in the car and push off, while the other two were still holding the large stones.
    I got in and quickly drove off, trying to ignore the abuses they're yelling behind me.
    All the way to her house my sister kept trying to convince that driving away quietly had been the correct choice and how I should not feel upset about it. I don't recall saying anything.
    Point is though that now that I've calmed down, I'm having doubts. I feel like a coward who fled instead of standing his ground. I should've just called their bluff and driven the car directly into them. I feel.....angry, at them and at myself. And I would give anything to find them again, and deal with them one by one.

Edit:
    JFR I went and lodged a complaint with the police but they said that that was a bad area with a lot of disputed land and the chances of finding those thugs were almost non-existant.
    Last edited by rajpoot; 08-25-2012 at 15:29.

The horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight.

Annoyingly awesome Member Booger Flick Champion, Run Sam Run Champion, Speed Cards Champion rickinator9's Avatar

Default Re: So I kind of got mugged

It was the good thing to do. If you would have attacked them, they could have used those stones on you!
    rickinator9 is either a cleverly "hidden in plain sight by jumping on the random bandwagon" scum or the ever-increasing in popularity "What the is going on?" townie. Either way I want to lynch him. - White Eyes

Quote Originally Posted by rajpoot View Post
    ....asking me to give him a five hundred rupees.....
    I had some 400 bucks on me,....
    Are you visiting India?

Edit:
    JFR I went and lodged a complaint with the police but they said that that was a bad area with a lot of disputed land and the chances of finding those thugs were almost non-existant.
    Which means that the thugs will feel free to do it again.
    Wooooo!!!

Member thankful for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Shaka_Khan View Post
    Are you visiting India?

Which means that the thugs will feel free to do it again.
    I am from India.
    The police said that they were most likely a bunch of drug addict boys who were looking for an easy score.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Sorry to hear that, but you acted in the only way you could have. You shouldn't carry around so much money though.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    Sorry to hear that, but you acted in the only way you could have. You shouldn't carry around so much money though.
    It's not about the money really. 200 bucks is like.....not much at all. That's less than what I generally spend during an evening out. What's hurting right now, is not my wallet, but my pride.

It's not about the money really. 200 bucks is like.....not much at all. That's less than what I generally spend during an evening out. What's hurting right now, is not my wallet, but my pride.
    Better your pride than them actually throwing a stone through your window no? Glass flying around, maybe even the stone hitting your sister or your nephew, maybe you will see them again when the stakes aren't so high, get even then

Good choices rajpoot :)

Going down in a blaze of glory is always tempting but: cars is ok and no one got hurt=>sometimes its about outcomes, not about you.
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Ridiculous.

You acted like a man should, and got your sister and her kid safely out of a very hostile situation. Oh, and yourself.

I of course understand where your feelings are coming from though, but really, chill. You did exactly what you should have done!

Members thankful for this post (2):

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

I'd say you made the right decision considering the circumstances. If they had started breaking your windows, and possibly hurt your sister or her child you would probably feel worse than you do now. You protected them both and you should be proud of that. I would have done the same as you in this situation.
    Last edited by Csargo; 08-25-2012 at 18:25.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

Blog Entries

You did the right thing, and I'm not saying that to make you feel better.

You put the safety of your family first, which is far more important than the material sacrifice in the end! I can see why you'd be angry given the situation, but you shouldn't be angry at yourself. You made a good call. Imagine how much worse you would feel if you did retaliate and one/some of you got badly injured. As you said, you could have called his bluff, but when you're playing with other peoples livelihoods, this is an irresponsible move.

So kudos to you.

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

you did what you could. I doubt you could have done better.

as to your pride? well, we all suffer a few knocks in life. what more can I say?
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

Member Member stratigos vasilios's Avatar

You should have killed them...

On a more serious note,

Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    You acted like a man should, and got your sister and her kid safely out of a very hostile situation. Oh, and yourself.
    +1 absolutely this!

I believe you definitely did the right thing. Your first goal was to ensure the safety of your sister and her child (which you did), second goal would have been to ensure the safety of yourself (which you did) and your third goal should have been to ensure the safety of your belongings (which you did car windscreen wise). Parting with the money is a small price to pay to ensure all above criteria is met.

The bigger man always walks away and doesn't escalate a situation. Scumbags who took your money will probably buy drugs and OD from it anyways, revenge made.
    We love you because you died and resurrected to save us...
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    We love you Goku!

Thanks guys. Feeling a lot better this morning.

Agree with the others.

There will always be situations in life you cannot control, where you feel helpless. It's probably because regardless of your muscles, you're just a tiny speck in the universe or something like that. Important is that you got out and you're fine, your family is fine, your car is fine and you didn't even give them all your money so you got out way better than you could have. That's an achievement in itself.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

There's no price you can put on the safety of your family members. Plus repairs for the car would almost certainly cost more than that right?
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    Ridiculous.

I of course understand where your feelings are coming from though, but really, chill. You did exactly what you should have done!
    This - 3 to 1 odds is one thing if it's just you, it's something else when there are women and children involved.

Next time you, don't get out of the car. Just start the engine and reverse.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

This - 3 to 1 odds is one thing if it's just you, it's something else when there are women and children involved.
    I would call that "approaching parity".

Next time you, don't get out of the car. Just start the engine and reverse.
    Yes!
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

smell the glove Senior Member Major Robert Dump's Avatar

I have always found the best way to avoid an unwanted fight is to strip down naked, flex your muscles and say "the gunshow is about to start". Most men will not fight a naked dude. 10% won't mind. 25% if it is in Afghanistan.
    Baby Quit Your Cryin' Put Your Clown Britches On!!!

Members thankful for this post (3):

IceLemurrajpoot 

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

Dude, never leave the vehicle.

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!

It is a shame that your right to protect yourself and your family is so limited in India. Those people could have done anything to you, your sister, and her child. The police would surely write a thorough report after the fact, but that is about all they are good for. Did anything ever come of NAGRI?

Quote Originally Posted by CountArach View Post
    Plus repairs for the car would almost certainly cost more than that right?
    Yeah, 3000 at least.

Quote Originally Posted by PanzerJaeger View Post
    Did anything ever come of NAGRI?
    Not really. They're still active, but I doubt they'll be able to change anything. It's still near impossible for the common man to buy a firearm here, because for one the amount of red tape and formalities are daunting and secondly the weapons available in the market are old models and priced exorbitantly. I mean AFAIK a snubnosed revolver is the same price as a brand new car.

It would be fun if someone tries to mug our Panzer

From the hypothetical article 'it is unsure which one of the 10.000 bullets that were found in mr **** turned out to be the fatal one'

Members thankful for this post (2):

That's why I keep an armed bear with me all the time.
    This space intentionally left blank.

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hax View Post
    That's why I keep an armed bear with me all the time.
    You just came out of the closet didn't you? As an American I'm going to label you as a bad person now.

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!

Hax 

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

good choice

Know when to hold them, and know when to fold them
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    good choice

That is not enough you have to put them somewhere. My suggestion http://www.pinkorblue.nl/Merknaam/Ha...sen-en-koffers

Amphibious Trebuchet Salesman Member Whacker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    good choice

you know nothing, Vuk will be along shortly to give out some solid martial arts advice and how he could have handled these robbers in a life and death self defense situation

"Justice is the firm and continuous desire to render to everyone
    that which is his due."
    - Justinian I

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PanzerJaeger View Post
    It is a shame that your right to protect yourself and your family is so limited in India. Those people could have done anything to you, your sister, and her child. The police would surely write a thorough report after the fact, but that is about all they are good for. Did anything ever come of NAGRI?
    A firearm would not have helped in this instance any more than a knife - as it was Rajpoot did the right thing, he lost a bit of money but nobody got hurt.

Rajpoot has learned his lesson; don't get out of the car.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

You couldn't have really done much considering the situation. The world is full of crappy people, that's the sad truth. On the bright side there's also a lot of good people too.

"A lamb goes to the slaughter but a man, he knows when to walk away."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast