Know the dark side Member Askthepizzaguy's Avatar

Default The Ashes of Rome- Blood and Steel

The Ashes of Rome- Blood and Steel

• STAINLESS STEEL 6.1
    • HOUSE RULES CHALLENGE
    • BYZANTINE EMPIRE, EARLY ERA CAMPAIGN
    • VERY HARD/VERY HARD

House rules:

1) Restore the borders of the Roman Empire to their fullest historical extent (allowed by the game engine) TO ACHIEVE VICTORY. "Long Campaign" victory not counted.
    2) Never lose a single native or captured province via conquest or rebellion, under any circumstances. Failure terminates the campaign and is recorded as a loss.
    3) Auto-resolve (outside of naval battles) is explicitly disallowed. Insignificant battles which pose no challenge (10:1 odds in my favor) are acceptable exceptions.
    4) Winning battles via battle time expiry is explicitly disallowed. Therefore, no battle time limit will be used.
    5) No wins via 3 minutes of holding the settlement's square allowed. Battles can end after the entire enemy force has routed, but battles must otherwise be played out.
    6) Faction Leader must, at all times, be a direct blood descendant of Emperor Alexius. If an adopted usurper takes the throne, the campaign ends in a loss.
    7) No code entry, no game editing, no bug exploits, no Crusades, no Jihads allowed by player's faction.
    8) All settlement captures must be permanent, and all settlement captures must have a screenshot.
    9) Once campaign has begun, it will continue until a win or loss condition is achieved, barring severe catastrophic real life circumstances.
    10) Win or loss will be posted for all to see. I do not know the outcome ahead of time.
    11) Stainless Steel 6.1 will be used.
    ...........Why? Because I said so. [6.4 is very nice but I like the look and feel of 6.1]

Thread rules/info:

1) You may post here, provided you abide by the rules of this section. You may comment on the game or tell me that you're subscribing.
    2) Off-topic commentary is not welcome. I will ask a Moderator to remove all content not related to this game.
    3) If you would like to talk at length with another poster, please take it outside. Excessive posting is just as unwelcome as off-topic posting. Some folks will want to be able to find my updates and not have to hunt for pages and pages to find them.
    4) I will reserve some posts for myself. These will be for reference later.

#Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Default Re: The Ashes of Rome- Blood and Steel

Reserve for Links to Updates

Chapter One: From out of the Ashes [1080 A.D.]
    Chapter Two, Part I: Victorious warriors win first, then go to war...
    Chapter Two, Part II: Defeated warriors go to war first, then seek to win
    Status of the Roman Empire: Turn 25. [1116 A.D.]
    Chapter Three, Part I: Let the world tremble as it senses all you are about to accomplish [1117 A.D.] Turn 50
    Chapter Three, Part II: Fortes fortuna adiuvat [1155 A.D.]
    Chapter Three, Part III: He who endures, conquers [1171 A.D.]
    Chapter Three, Part IV: A good general not only sees the victory, he also knows when victory is impossible [1179 A.D.]
    Chapter Three, Part V:

Last edited by Askthepizzaguy; 09-08-2012 at 18:54.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Reserve for Miscellaneous.

Log of my progress/OOC Commentary.

08/27/2012
    Campaign conceived of but not yet begun. Here's the challenges that I expect.

1) Jihads
    We've all experienced the weight of all Muslim factions sending armies against one settlement. Holding the settlement is vital, because here, you lose the campaign if you cannot turn back the armies of Islam. Knowing when it is safe to expand and when I need to have sufficient force to turn back several Jihadi armies is crucial to victory here. 10 turn grace period after a Jihad ends will allow focus elsewhere.

2) Crusades
    If you can get in good with the Pope, it's possible to expand into Catholic lands without a crusade taking you out. However, this campaign requires capture of all of Italy, Rome, and almost all of the Pope's major allies... pretty much all the major Catholic factions. That is why diplomacy will be vital.

3) Border defense
    The larger my empire becomes, the less defensible it becomes. Fighting off the entire world will be my challenge, and since I cannot direct the entire might of Roman arms against a single faction for fear of losing a single province on the far side of the empire, I must at all times play with a certain realism. The real Emperors of Rome couldn't abandon the home front to send all of Rome's armies against one nation. They needed to protect their wives, children, and lands at home. This means during the entire campaign I absolutely MUST field defensive armies that never leave the home front. I must prepare defensive fortifications, unlike my typical campaign style of Blitz-attack which cripples early AI before they have a chance to expand. I will expect, will fight, and will have to win at times purely defensive wars.

4) Economic woes
    Fielding a massive army and fighting with all my neighbors means that for much of the game, Rome must support its own economy. I will need merchants, ports, markets, all the fancy trimmings. I cannot ignore the home economy and build and expand based purely on sacking florins, as I did during my reign as Blitzmaster. The penalties my economy must endure include fielding armies which never contribute to Rome's *expansion* since they have to defend the home front, and building expensive fortifications and garrisons capable of defending walls even without supporting armies, such as garrisons with actual, professional archers and heavy infantry, and even cavalry units to bust up sieges. I will have to field an actual defensive navy, one that can sink ships which hope to take my inner provinces which will eventually be less defended than the outer provinces. In order to make progress on my campaign, I will likely need to expand to the east and the west simultaneously at a certain point, meaning defensive armies at home, defensive navies, and offensive armies on both fronts, plus garrisons capable of defending the newly conquered lands while the expansion army continues it's frontal assault on Muslim or Catholic homelands. None of this will happen for free, since Crusades and Jihads not only aren't allowed by the house rules, but impossible due to the Orthodox religion of my faction.

5) General difficulty
    The pure bloodlines aspect was thrown in there not because it makes the game more realistic; it makes things more challenging. You can often engage and defeat enemy armies with 3-4 generals and some basic troops in your army. That means adopted generals are regenerative heavy cavalry, expensive yet very useful. But, if you adopt generals, they generally become adopted by your Faction Heir. That means they would be next in line after him, instead of someone of pure blood. Which means they would have to die in battle before taking the throne. Some of these adopted generals would be governors as well, meaning at a certain point, I've got to send my best governors to their deaths just to preserve the family bloodline. That adds difficulty and forces me to part with excellent governors or generals that assist me in fighting. It tones down my ability to Blitz the AI factions, because I won't be able to promote captains or generals to my family unless I'm sure the family bloodline will be safe from contamination. I also have to wait until my Faction Heir has MALE children of his own before I start thinking about taking risks with the bloodline.

Remember: Females who are part of the family bloodline can marry folks into the family. Those men, married to the daughters of Greek Royalty, are not part of the bloodline! Their children can legally become heirs to the throne, but the fathers cannot! They are essentially the same as adopted usurpers because they do not have the bloodline of Greek royalty!

That means I am really, really hoping for MALE CHILDREN. If I get nothing but females, eventually the Faction Leader will be a man who is not a direct descendant of the Emperor. Rome will not be led by a common noble, but a male bearing the emperor's family name, or whose mother is a direct descendant of the Emperor. Ideally you want to have a male named Komnenos as Emperor throughout the campaign, but it is allowed for the Emperor to be the son of one of the true daughters of the Emperor. The male must have Greek blood indicated on his character card, or the child is not eligible to become Emperor and thus a danger to have as a Faction Heir, or in a position in the family where he could become a Faction Heir. Such a position is necessarily a death sentence for the tainted lad.

08/27/2012
    Strategies to use to overcome these obstacles.

1) Jihads/Crusades
    Fortunately, I've noticed the tendency of Jihad and Crusade armies to go directly to the target of the crusade, which means I can muster a defense that can repel even 5 or 6 invasion armies simultaneously. I will have enough forces on the home front to re-deploy to the Jihad target. Further, being allied to the Pope and constantly bribing him, and only attacking Catholic factions which are not in his favor, will mean that the Catholics should be slightly easier to conquer than the Islamic factions.

The main dangers to this victory from the Islamic side will be the Fatmid Caliphate and the Turkish Sultanate. I do not need to conquer the entire Khwarezmid Empire to win, and the Moors are easy to keep at bay with a proper navy, and can be conquered at my leisure. I haven't seen them send several Jihad armies to a distant target in the early game, so they are controllable. By the time I need to conquer them, I can do it en masse and wipe them off the face of the Earth in a single, crushing blow. Jihad armies won't be my concern at that time.

2) Border Defense
    I can delay invasion of key provinces through the use of forts at choke-points. Enemies must blast through these defenses to get at certain provinces, which gives me time to re-deploy. The more I can safely use this strategy, the easier it will be for me to leave core provinces without a massive garrison. The only way I'll be able to properly expand is if I have the funds to do so, and I won't have those funds if I have to field a massive army at every border province. The problem is that eventually the enemy will bring proper siege artillery, which will render this tactic less effective.

3) Economic woes
    My idea is to build up my economy a bit and take rebel settlements which are defensible first. I will engage in a campaign of diplomacy and build a trade network, and get merchants in place. Powerful merchants on expensive foreign trade resources will allow me to fund more armies. Some merchants can take in more income than some of my lesser provinces can, all by themselves. Each powerful merchant is therefore a potential "province" I do not need to worry about losing via conquest, or defending with an army. I will not, however, resort to using the Merchant Fort Exploit.

4) Generals and Family bloodlines
    I will refrain from adopting any generals until I get get my Faction Heir to marry a sweet foreign princess who is "Fertile" and beautiful and they have LOTS OF MALE CHILDREN. Having fewer generals and lots of provinces makes such an endeavor more of a reality. At that point, adopted generals become an option and I'm going to need them. As for commanding my armies, I can use heavy infantry or heavy cavalry units as captains, provided my Emperor's Authority rating is very high, or it is close to another army commanded by an actual general. I can also have armies with no general holding the walls of certain provinces.

5) Thwarting trouble before it reaches our walls.
    Spies and assassins will allow me to detect dangerous activity in my neighboring, friendly rival's territory. If I spot an army massing or moving toward me, I know to defend myself. I can also assassinate enemy generals, heretics, spies, merchants, priests, family members, and I can sabotage certain military buildings to make an assault on Rome less likely from my "peaceful" allied neighbors. Dangerous? You bet. Still better than losing the entire campaign due to a sneak attack by a so-called ally.

6) Diplomacy
    Conquering enemy provinces and then offering a cease-fire, trade rights, the whole smash, will allow me to conquer some enemies with less fear of losing the newly held territories, and it will also help my economy. Gaining tribute or forcing kingdoms into vassalage might be the key to victory. If I lose a vassal's province, I don't really care. If I lose a proper, Roman province, I will indeed be more concerned. Possibly might have to buy a new keyboard or monitor after that....
    Last edited by Askthepizzaguy; 08-27-2012 at 19:31.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Chapter One: From out of the Ashes.....

1080 Anno Domini. Constantinople.

Emperor Aleksios stood over a map of Europe, tracing the old borders of the once-mighty Roman Empire. He took note of what little territory remained under his control, and was not pleased. But ruling over a vast empire was not his foremost concern; his concern was the increasing demands of the nobles for more authority and independence to govern what little remained of the ancient Empire. This would mean that Aleksios would not be an Emperor at all, but a governor of a single province, even if he was still titled as Emperor of a forgotten empire. The title would mean nothing, and what remained of Rome would be easy pickings by the Turks, or the Normans, or the Hungarians, or the Venetians... and soon, some ambitious man with even a mediocre army at his disposal could put the last remnants of the Roman Empire into the ash-bin of history.

To keep the nobles in line, and keep the armies of Rome under his direct control, something had to be done. The nobles were sick of war, and even the most loyal soldiers were weary of losing their lives, and their homes, to foreign invaders.
    The Seljuk Sultan Arslan's victory over Greek forces at Manzikert left the Empire in tatters, and handed the Greeks their most devastating defeat in a long string of defeats. Morale wasn't just a problem, loyalty to the Emperor existed only because it was the duty of every soldier. No one wanted to fight for him anymore. They were barely willing to fight for Greece; they wanted to do little more than guard the walls of their home city and hope for the best. Many of the provinces were now in open rebellion against the Emperor. Unless bold action was taken, Emperor Alexios would see the last of the Roman Empire defeated under his watch, and go down in history as the last, and worst, Emperor of Rome. But Aleksios gave the nobles something they didn't expect; he gave them something more than what they asked for, but in return, he demanded their loyalty. He needed to retain full control over his armies. What he gave them instead was a guarantee.

Aleksios swore, on his honor as a Roman, that under his watch, none of Rome's provinces would ever again fall to foreign invaders. From the mighty capital of Constantinople, to the furthest-flung wooden palisade surrounding even the tiniest collection of tents. He put his title as Emperor of Constantinople on the line; if he should fail, the nobles could choose the next Emperor from amongst themselves. He would also pledge to use what remained of the Royal Treasury to fund new construction in all the provinces of the Empire. Greed is a powerful ally, after all. The thought of being the next Roman Emperor was enough to persuade the nobles to throw their fortunes in with Aleksios. Even if he should fail, they would profit from it by gaining even greater political power. And if he should succeed, they would enjoy the support of the people for being wise enough to maneuver such guarantees from the Emperor, and they would still profit from it.

Aleksios, however, was a shrewd man. He planned that the nobles would never gain control of the throne, and that his sons and their sons would forever be the Emperors of Rome. Once Rome was once again a mighty empire, they would be masters of the known world, and the greedy, disloyal nobles would get exactly what they deserved... their lands and titles would be stripped from them, and they would be executed for their disobedience. But now was not the time for all of that. For now, he would rely on the nobles, and wait for the right moment to make his move. That an Emperor should be forced to make concessions to his inferiors was beyond infuriating, and the injustice would not go unpunished. This he vowed.

Now, he began to make his move. The first order of business would be reclaiming some of the territories which had gone into rebellion. Then he would prepare his defenses against the next invasion by the hated Turks, and anyone else who had their eyes set on the Greek homelands as a prize of war.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Turn One

Captain Ioannis will lead the armies of Constantinople toward the castle of Sofia, which is in open rebellion against us. I will take possession of the army in the next season, as I have important administrative duties to take care of this season.

My fair daughter Anna will seek a treaty with the Hungarians to the north.

The army from Thessalonica arrives in Canakkale, to take possession of the castle there, led by Captain Makarios.

General Theodosios Opsaras arrives in Smyrna with the garrison from Rhodes. There he will hire some Armenian mercenaries, led by a very knowledgeable captain who has already scouted the town.

The army from Corinth arrives in Athens, preparing to ship off for war. Meanwhile, construction of improved roads begins in all major provinces, to appease the nobles.

I commission several diplomats to aid me in securing peace and trade for Rome, among with some other, more practical matters. Like establishing embassies so that we have a legitimate channel through which we can spy upon the enemies of Rome.

Further, both myself and my son Ioannis order the construction of numerous buildings vital to our recovery. When you're royalty, people are willing to offer you a discount on the construction. They know good things will come their way.

These moves lay an important foundation upon which we shall build... the greatest empire of them all.

Turn Two

The forces marching under captain Ioannis comprise the majority of Roman arms. I will soon join them in the suppression of the rebels at Sofia.

Armies from Athens have landed to reinforce General Theodosios.

Little more than army movement takes place this turn, but now we are ready...

Turn Three

The Prince joins the siege of Canakkale and recruits some local mercenaries.

Now General Theodosios will show the rebels what it means to be truly Greek.

A full frontal assault? We could lose too many troops that way.

Perhaps something more cunning; we will lead with our archers, to force the defenders back from the walls.

The cowards would rather huddle in the center of town than face our best archers. They will pay for their spinelessness.

Archers in place, now our ram can do its work without facing a hail of flaming arrows. Even the archers on the towers have fled.

Realizing they've made a grave error, they try to regain control of the gates. But they are greeted by Greek arrows from the sky. When it rains, it pours....

We have yet to lose a single man in this battle, and already the enemy is bloodied and in a very bad position.

Our infantry pushes the rebels back, and gives General Theodosios room to enter the settlement. Now the enemy will taste a heavy cavalry charge. And they thought the walls would shield them from that!

Several powerful charges later, even the spearmen turn and flee in horror, dropping their weapons as they run and hide. The arrows, spears, and powerful cavalry charge has broken them.

True Greeks prevailed over these impostors today!

Now our General, though naturally frail, has proved that he is not afraid to shed blood for Greece. He is not afraid to face an army of rebel spearmen, and risk his life for the glory of Greece.

His bravery inspires our men to follow in his footsteps. He protected our soldiers' lives today, with his own.

But General Theodosios isn't the only true Greek to test himself today. My eldest son Ioannis has a castle to storm.

This time, we must take the walls from enemy archers, lest we lose the experienced Greek archers we cannot easily replace.

Taking the walls from the rebels was no easy matter, but the deed was done.

The enemy have sent up reinforcements! Holding the walls is our foremost concern. Do not waver, men!

We have captured the gates. Now taste the wrath of Ioannis.

The rebels scatter under the weight of mighty Greek horsemen. These archers are ill-equipped to stand toe-to-toe with a unit of elite Bodyguards. Ioannis himself slew dozens of the traitors, reminding the survivors who their betters truly are.

We lost more men than we would have liked, today, but we preserved our archers, and we will tend to our wounds and recover our losses more easily than if we had charged in with our archers today.

Now it is my turn to show these rebels the might of the Roman Emperor. I think the cowards hiding behind the walls at Sofia deserve a more... personal touch.

Turn Four

We forge a worthy alliance with the Hungarians, and gain trade rights and maps of their territory for a very cheap price. My daughter is as valuable to the future of our Empire as she is beautiful and intelligent. We establish embassies in their cities, and take note of the size of their forces, at the very least.

The Prince's army arrives at Adrianople, but the Prince himself must make his way to Thessalonica and begin some much-needed improvements there.

Meanwhile, Captain Tamas prays his last, for our men now assault his walls.

These men are truly cowards. They dare not even try to hold their own walls. We advance with Greek spears, and take them with ladders. On the western wall, we place several Greek archers, to rain death down upon them.

Realizing that being slain from arrows from their own walls is a fool's end, they "bravely" decide to face us like men. But we shall get to the top of the walls before they do....

Fighting on top of the walls is intense, but our men stand their ground, and the rebels waver. Now they send their archers to try to take the western wall, only to find Greeks already there! We send more Greek archers to reinforce the west.

We take the gates, and now the Emperor marches his horse right into the middle of the melee. His terrifying black horse scatters the weakling peasants who no longer resemble an army.

Arrows rain down upon our victims, breaking the backs of the Bulgarian Brigands on the walls.

The Emperor and his spearmen charge the center of the castle, where some Maygars make their final, foolish stand.

There is little doubt that we managed a crushing victory here today. Some of our militia spearmen were lost, but our professional soldiers and skilled mercenaries took almost no damage whatsoever!

Truly this is a mighty victory. Now the provinces will think twice before rebelling against Emperor Aleksios. Perhaps the nobles will think twice before demanding concessions from him as well, lest they suffer the same fate.

Our Emperor gains a skilled, experienced advisor, who has fought in many campaigns. The victory here today has ensured his loyalty and service to the Crown.

The spearhead of the Greek empire is now aimed at the rebels at the castle of Scopia, a region notorious for its disloyalty.

The time has come for the traitors to fall, and true Greek men to claim what is rightfully theirs.

You can follow along by using these save files.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Askthepizzaguy; 08-28-2012 at 01:12.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Preview of next update:

Turns 6-25 COMPLETED

• Consolidation of the Greek homelands
    • Fortification of Greek borders
    • Solidification of alliances and knowledge of the known world
    • Growing the economy with merchants, trade, and infrastructure
    • Reinforcement of provinces which are presently unsupported
    • Fixing gaps in the defense
    • Marriage, Family, Children, the Royal Bloodline, and new generals and governors
    • Assessment of our Strategic Situation.

State of the Empire Report

Estimated to be completed by end of day today.

Which of Rome's enemies will be the first to fall?
    Last edited by Askthepizzaguy; 08-28-2012 at 13:46.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

This is really good ATPG! I didn't know you did aars, is this your first one? Regardless, I think it suits you!

You haven't seen anything yet.

Back in the day, I posted a lot of AARs. Mostly showcasing the art of blitzkreig-style warfare, culminating in my conquest of the world (106 provinces) in 23 turns on vanilla M2, a record that stood for a while until it was beaten by Grog; I was only ever to match his record, couldn't bring it down to 20 turns, although it is known to be possible. I also did the long campaign in 8 turns with the Holy Roman Empire on vanilla.

This would be a huge departure from my usual play style. I am perfectly capable of playing the long game on harder difficulties, but I'm one of those impatient types who prefers mate in 8 instead of mate in 100.
    Last edited by Askthepizzaguy; 08-28-2012 at 19:27.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Chapter Two: Victorious warriors win first, then go to war.....

1087 Anno Domini. Scopia province.

Emperor Aleksios and his army are camped outside of the rebel fortress of Scopia. The winter is particularly cold. The ground is frozen, and just to the north, a blizzard ravages the land. The Emperor's men are fortunate enough to not be caught in such weather. They are in good spirits, and their resolve is strengthened by the prospect of fresh reinforcements from Thessalonica.

Alliances with Hungary and Venice boost the morale of the people across the Empire. They are unsure what to think of the alliance with the hated Turks, however. The Emperor's inner circle knows the true purpose behind such moves; if these kingdoms break their word with Rome, the Emperor will be well within his rights to strike back, and strike hard, and it will be difficult for other Kings to paint him in a negative light, or threaten him and warn him away from conquest. Even the Pope wouldn't dare tell Emperor Aleksios that had no right to protect his Christian kingdom, even from his favored Catholics.

Aleksios is renown for his shrewd political maneuvering. His command of men on the battlefield is legendary. Soon, however, he will face a more mundane challenge; managing the bureaucracy of an Empire. The provinces are largely ungoverned and finding the right kind of loyal commanders will be vital to steering the ship of state along a steady course. Throughout all this, no small amount of blood will be shed for the Emperor's ambitions.

Turn 7

The rebels are outnumbered by a factor of 4 Greeks for every 1 rebel. Led by Aleksios, the morale of the Greek soldiers couldn't be higher. The battle is going to be a one-sided slaughter.

Captain Janos has nowhere to run, the fortress is completely encircled.

Our archers are ready to make short work of any soldiers not on the walls.

The siege tower should draw some of their missile fire while our battering ram does its work.

Interestingly, the enemy chooses to open the gates and try to rout our mercenaries manning the ram.

Thinking quickly, we push the ram between the gates to prevent them from being closed. Now the enemy will no longer have walls protecting them, and a sea of Greek spearmen will storm the gates.

Their move is a disaster! The Emperor charges in, routing those worthless peasants.

The archers on the walls watch helplessly as we take the castle. Only the bravest men step down to face us, and are immediately slaughtered for their foolishness. Surrender is the only sane option remaning.

Their archers did some damage, but we prevailed in a victory most certain. For every Greek man fallen in combat, the rebels suffered thrice the casualties.

We tend to our injured, and celebrate the glorious victory.

We forge alliance with the Kievan Rus, and establish embassies and trade routes, and exchange current maps.

We offer these maps to the Turks, for certain other concessions. Knowing the locations of their training camps will allow us to dismantle the Turkish war machine. How gullible can they be?

We divide our forces and head for Belgrade and Durazzo. These locations will allow us to maintain the defense of Greece more easily than if we had to patrol our present borders. Greece should not be divided.

Captain Iustinianos heads for Durazzo.

Captain Livanios marches north into Catholic-held lands. We can march no further today.

Turn 8

The Princess of the Kievan Rus has agreed to marry the Emperor's eldest son. Our alliance with the Orthodox Christians in Kiev should hold, and God willing, the Prince will soon have sons of his own that will one day lead the Empire.

The Emperor Aleksios rides ahead of the main army, and begins a campaign of harassment and hit and run tactics against the peasants and scattered noblility in the farmlands outside of Belgrade. Soon, all the survivors of this campaign barricade themselves inside the capital of the province, and inform the garrison there of the trouble.

A few day's march behind the Emperor, the main force is soon to arrive. Word reaches Belgrade that the best chance for defense of the settlement will be to attack the Emperor directly, before his reinforcements arrive.

Meanwhile, Theodosios and his mercenary captain begin training more troops at the citadel of Corinth. These men will bolster the West, and allow us to focus on other matters.

Predictably, the rebels in Belgrade take the bait laid out for them by the Emperor.

Captain Mate and his friends are walking into a trap. I'm afraid that the Emperor's personal battalion of knights, and an experienced band of veteran archers, will be fully capable of defeating the garrison when it arrives. The walls, it would seem, were the only reason Belgrade wasn't in the Emperor's possession already. Now they will experience the full power of Greek armoured cavalry.

The archers retreat to a safe distance, and the emperor's heavy cavalry prepare to charge. No speech is given by the Emperor, merely the order to attack. After the latest string of victories, that was all that the Emperor needed to say.

I'd say the rebels are feeling quite optimistic. They charge toward us wielding two-handed axes. They are going to wish for sturdy Greek spears in a moment.

In a thunderous clash, the Emperor's best horsemen skewer and trample the axemen. It was as if they had no weapons at all. What remains of the rebels' most fearsome infantry are little more than bloodied hoofprints in the snow, and a rather smart collection of brand-new axes.

The Emperor's men turn and charge straight through the enemy archers, who dive out of the way for fear of their lives. Some of them even survive. Greek missiles rain down upon the Emperor's victims, but they barely notice this subtle attrition. They are much more concerned by the charge of knights on black horses, spears and swords covered completely with Catholic blood.

Their improvised weapons and hunting bows have little effect on the Emperor's Guard.

In just a few short minutes of fighting, the rebel leader is slain. He rests in a pile of snow, with the bodies of his men scattered all around him. Now the rest of his men will lose heart, and we will press our advantage.

The rebels try to run back to thier homes to hide, but the Emperor charges after them.

The butchering does not stop. Every last rebel lies dead in the snow, or in the streets. The Catholics who would be restless under the rule of the Greek Orthodox Emperor are instead quite pacified. It seems their ideals about religious purity are dropped at the first sign of mass graves. Perhaps their faith in God has been shaken today, and are not yet ready to face the Maker of men. At least, not if it means facing the Unmaker of men first...

Turn 9

The Emperor orders fortifications to be built at key river crossings, to hold back any possible incursions by the Hungarians, who might be Hungary for more territory.

Durazzo has been conquered by Norman scum. The Sicilians must not have gotten the message that we have claimed these lands in the name of the Greek Emperor.

It seems we will have to teach them a lesson. Leaving their home islands in search of Greek territories to conquer will forever end in disaster for them. They would be wise to bring more troops next time.

The Prince prepares to reinforce our troops and assume command of these armies. The armies await his arrival, hiding their true numbers in the forest.

His sister, Princess Anna, has won the heart of a Hungarian general. This man now pledges loyalty to the Greeks, and his sons will be Greek as well. The Royal House of Komnenos is expanding in power, and now it is also expanding in number.

This man, Istvan, is not just any general. This was one of the Hungarian King's most loyal and renown generals. His skill is not just in warfare, but also commands respect at home. He has commissioned the construction of several important buildings. His expertise will greatly enhance our growing empire.

Anna herself is the most radiant daughter in all the known world. Istvan should have no trouble bringing more Greeks into being...

The Normans, making their way back to their ships, are surprised by Greek swords in an ambush. They have no time to prepare, and will be sitting ducks.

Of course, attacking Norman armies will mean war with the Sicilian crown. Not that such a prospect bothers Emperor Aleksios.

"You there! Spearmen! We see you hiding in the long grass. Now come out! We have covered your escape routes, and have you surrounded! Surrender, and your lives will be spared!" shouted the Norman Captain.

An arrow pierces the man's chest, and he falls to the ground, cold and dead.

His men turn and see that indeed, they are the ones that are surrounded. From behind the brush, a battalion of Armenian heavy cavalry charge the surprised Norman forces, who foolishly decide to go after our Greek Archers first, thinking that they are our weakest point.

Byzantine Spearmen seem to come straight out of the ground, and surprise the charging Mounted Sergeants. The arrows fell half of their horse, and the spears take care of what remains.

Their remaining infantry watches this in horror, as a volley of missile fire streaks across the sky and begins to impale them. And they feel the ground shake as heavy hooves pound the ground rapidly, just behind them, with lances pointed true.

The battle is brief, and decisive.

Word reaches the Normans in Durazzo that they are now at war with the Roman Empire. Unfortunately, they do not have time to construct even the most rudimentary wooden palisade, and we are just a day's march away.

General Theodosios prepares for battle with the rebels at the castle of Arta. Since the general has brought only a single band of mercenary spearmen, the enemy imagine they can encircle and engage our cavalry, and press them into oblivion with their spears. Bravely, they march....

The fight does not go well for the rebels, who underestimate the cavalry tactics of our experienced General. They are unable to pin down the cavalry, who pepper them with arrow fire. The infantry on the ground are unable to return fire, for the General's guard charges them every time they prepare a volley. The troops on the ground scatter under the weight of repeated charges, and are slowly melted away with Greek arrows.

Many bodyguards gave their lives, but for each one they lost, they took down more than ten in return. The slaughter was beyond crushing. The rebels turned and fled, finding that fleeing from horsemen without a horse is not the wisest strategic decision they could have made.

Turn 10

Captain Tancredi of the Norman Sicilian Army.

His army is not an unskilled, untrained, unarmed group of peasants.

His men represent the current strength of professional Sicilian arms. Over 1100 in number.

They will die well.

We position spearmen on the left and right flanks, and position our archers in a scattered, deep formation. They should be able to launch volley after volley of missile fire, while taking fewer casualties this way. They cannot be flanked due to the spearmen. And flanking the spearmen, heavy lancers and missile cavalry.

We are joined on the field of battle by Venetian allies- some ambitious Sergeants who are obsessed with taking the settlement for themselves. Good luck, little men.

We send a single unit of archers forward to harass the garrison at the center of town. The missile fire does its job, and the enemy sally forth rather than be slaughtered from afar by a single group of peasants.

When they step out from behind the protection of the settlement's buildings, the sky darkens. So many are the missiles streaking toward their targets, that the sun is blocked by at least half.

The Normans begin to fall to the Earth, never to move again.

Regrouping, they send out spearmen with large wooden shields. Our professional archers begin to fire flaming arrows, anticipating the maneuver. Within seconds, even these troops cannot advance, for they suffer from flaming arrows to the front and streaking missiles from the cavalry flanking them. Should they be foolish enough to continue charging, they would never reach our archers. Our heavy cavalry enforce the blockade with cold steel.

None of the Normans manage to leave the settlement alive, and none inside the settlement have a prayer of survival either.

Captain Zorzi of the Venetian mounted Sergeants charges the settlement, determined to take it for himself. He is quickly slaughtered by a small battalion of spearmen.

That's why he will die a Captain, and be quickly forgotten, and what remains of his men scatter to the forest. What an idiot, these Venetians are. Fortunately we were never counting on THEM to win this battle for us. We also warned them not to attack, but they were impetuous and greedy.

Turn 11

The Sicilians lose the settlement, and when word that their entire Eastern army has been annihilated the moment they set foot in Greece, they were only too happy to accept a cease-fire offered to them by Greek emissaries.

Turn 12

At long last, Prince Ioannis has a son of his own. Let the world hear the name Philippikos, and rejoice.... or despair.

Continued in Part II.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

PART II

Chapter Two: Defeated warriors go to war first, then seek to win.

1099 Anno Domini. Bucharest.

Captain Ioannis of the Byzantine Greeks meets with Captain Laszlo of the Hungarian Army.

"You will help us suppress the rebels in Bucharest. We have an alliance." said the Hungarian commander Laszlo.

"Very well, but I find it concerning that you came to fight in Bucharest without a sufficient force to defeat the rebels, or a plan to defeat them which didn't involve outside help. I'll honor the alliance, but I suggest for both our sakes that we come up with a reasonable plan before laying siege to the city." replied Ioannis.

"You attack from the rear, and we will assault the front. We must move quickly, if we don't hurry, we might not capture the city before all our troops catch pneumonia." said Laszlo.

"Didn't you bring blankets, provisions, and enough firewood to keep yourselves warm?" replied Ioannis.

"You have such items? Bring them to me. Our men are in desperate need of those." said Laszlo.

"Commander.... perhaps I should lead your forces into battle." suggested Ioannis, helpfully.

"We Hungarians will never be led into battle by some Greek peasant. We command our own forces. Did you build any siege equipment?" replied Laszlo.

"This battle will not go well, my Emperor...."
    -The last written words of Captain Ioannis, as he followed Laszlo on a fool's errand to capture Bucharest in the name of the Hungarian King.

The rebels held the city, and dumped the bodies of Ioannis and Laszlo in the forest where they were torn to shreds by wolves. It is said that Ioannis and his men fought well, and fought much smarter than the Hungarians, causing more casualties than their better-armed counterparts, and were the last ones standing on the field of battle. However, Ioannis did not bring enough troops to compensate for the incompetence of the Hungarians, and was in no position to take the settlement. When he was slain, his men routed quickly. Ioannis was not an unwise commander, but perhaps his troops were wiser still. They still have their heads.

Turn 15

Emperor Aleksios orders the construction of the most wondrous places of learning ever built, and a better building from which to govern the city. His vision for Greece is one where Greek royalty are masters of the known world, precisely because they know the ways of the world better than any other leader on the Earth.

In the meanwhile, the Emperor has forged alliances, established embassies and trade routes, and shared maps with such empires as the Holy Roman Empire, the Normans in Palermo, the Fatmid Caliphate, the Crusader Kingdom of Jerusalem, the Republic of Genoa, Lithuania, and the Russians at Novgorod. Even the Pope is now allied to the Emperor.

A strong empire begins with a firm foundation. All the nations of Europe now see the Byzantine Greeks as powerful, involved in the political landscape of the entire continent, and a reliable ally that keeps its word. The pacification of the rebels, along with the defeat of the Norman invasion army, proves that Rome is no longer a frail Empire. When even their most hated enemies have made peace with the Emperor instead of engaging him on the battlefield, that means Rome is either respected, or feared. To the Emperor, they are one and the same.

"Fear is the only true respect".

Turn 16

The Royal Family is expanding, and now we have five true-blooded male heirs to the crown, along with a true daughter of Greek blood.

The Emperor has not ordered the capture of any more regions. It would seem his plan is to fortify our current borders, and make preparations, before engaging in further conquest.

Turn 17

Construction begins on the University of Constantine. Here, the heirs of the Roman Empire will receive the finest education possible.

Meanwhile, the Emperor looks to the borders of his Empire and assesses the strategic situation. More spears and archers are necessary, as well as the construction of additional fortifications and watchtowers. For the Emperor to react quickly to news of invasion, having a series of watchtowers in view of one another, with beacons alight, will allow rapid communication across long distances. Such a communications system would allow the Emperor to arrive in time to help provinces under attack, before the enemies even reach the gates of their settlements.

Improving the Imperial Navy is also a necessary measure that must be taken. As for the Royal coffers, more merchants trading with foreign empires would be prudent. And perhaps a few spies to ensure the security and continuing stability of the Empire.

General Theodosios looks to the Western frontier provinces of Durazzo and Arta. He notes that midway between those two provinces would be the perfect place to make camp, in order to respond more rapidly to threats in the region.

He notes further, that there is only one pass in the mountains connecting Durazzo to Scopia and Thessalonica. This pass would be the perfect place to build a blockading fortification.

The General imagines a wall, sealing off the entire pass, built of stone and earth, and a gate manned by the finest Greeks. Watchtowers filled with Greek archers. Stones placed upon the walls. Pots of boiling oil.

On the Eastern side of the pass, the General would build a wooden palisade, and permanent buildings made of stone... large enough to house an entire legion of the Emperor's best troops. He envisions this fortification to have a paved path leading through it, to allow for greater movement of the armies, and of course, traders.

Perhaps such a fortification would be grand. Unfortunately, the General lacks the resources to build even a proper wooden palisade. He must wait for another chest of gold sent by the Emperor, before he could begin his plan.

Theodosios is a patient man, however. He's willing to make camp in the mountains, and begin taking measurements, and ordering his men to begin cutting the wood, and stockpiling the stone.

Turn 18

Fort Opsaras is completed the next year. A mighty fortification, the pass is completely blocked off, and the garrison camped there is the largest standing army in all of the Roman Empire. A battalion of veteran Armenian lancers serves as the Captain's guard. Three battalions of horse archers, 900 Byzantine spearmen, 200 auxiliaries, and over 900 Greek archers protect the Greek homelands from this well-constructed facility.

Now the only vulnerabilities in the West are the city of Belgrade, and the castle of Corinth. We will soon have an answer for that as well, but for now, the presence of generals, Greek naval forces, and the finest training facilities in all the Empire will do just fine. Response to threats might be made in haste from these provinces, but they can still be made. In truth, I am more worried that the castle of Nicosia is under-prepared to repel an invasion. Greek holdings in the east are less prepared, and they are within striking range of the armies of Islam, who hold no love for men they consider infidels, such as us.

We need more men in Nicosia, better armed and better prepared men. And we need some way of funding such a legion. Nicosia itself is not a particularly rich region.

Turn 22

Our shrewd merchants have swindled some Muslim traders out of their very lucrative glass business. Now the finest glass from the far east will make its way to the greatest city in the known world, and with those profits, we can fund a proper garrison at Nicosia. One with armored spearmen, and professional archers.

Only a few short seasons ago, Nicosia could barely arm peasants with farming equipment. Now it is becoming the finest armory in the region, with the best garrisons for professional soldiers that money can buy. This means that one of our extreme vulnerabilities has become less vulnerable, and we should be able to hold Nicosia from all but the most determined and numerous attackers.

The Royal Family has continued to expand. We have enough true sons of Greece to preserve the bloodline, that we can consider turning some of these young nobles into governors, and made into a part of the Royal Family.

They will know their place, however. They were told that their wives and sons and daughters would not be considered royalty, and that their claim to the Roman Empire would be valid only in the event that all the blood-heirs of Aleksios were deceased. In short, they are now royalty, and they will help us rule the kingdom, but these "adopted" sons are merely the red-headed step-children of the Royal Family, and would be treated as such.

They get to live in governor's mansions, flanked by royal bodyguards. That is too good for most of the disloyal nobility. They should consider even this low position to be more than they deserve. The Emperor certainly does.

The castle of Nicosia is preparing to train true Byzantine spearmen. That will bolster our archers more than a rabble of auxiliaries ever could. If these men want to hold weapons in defense of their homes, let them be proper Greek spears and shields, and let them receive the proper training and discipline!

And, at the last, these men need a commander. Perhaps one of our red-headed step-children would fill this role nicely.

Turn 23

General Oresmis will govern this island. His military experience is lacking, but he knows how to build and command, and is an educated person. This is better than having no commander at all. The people of Nicosia now feel as though the Emperor truly gives a damn whether they live or die, since he's sent a member of the Royal Family to govern them and fight for them in the event of invasion.

They don't need to know that he's about as close to the Emperor as the Captain of the Nicosian guard was. In fact, he's never met General Oresmis. He's little more than a common soldier who went to grammar school. He would become Emperor of Rome only if every single other member of the Royal Family were wiped out by a plague, and the other adopted step-children of Rome committed mass suicide in their grieving. In short, he's about as Royal as a bag of hammers.

His only real use will be to whip the province into shape, and build better walls and garrisons, and die defending the Emperor's lands, as all good pawns should.

Turn 24

Another adopted general?!? These idiots are making a mockery of the Royal Family. Who is this common man, that I must suffer to learn his name?

I hold him in contempt. Go govern one of my provinces, and get out of my sight, you wriggling little worm!

He will make excellent target practice when I need to train my assassins. If he can dodge poison knives thrown from his own guards, then perhaps I will hold him in begrudging respect.

Actually, I take that back. If he can do that while producing sacks of gold from his arse, then perhaps I'll let him live.

In case it isn't clear, I hate him! I hate him! I hate him!

BLOODY PEASANTS!!!

Turn 25

At long last, my son Andronikos Komnenos has come of age. Now I shall teach this one the art of war, that he might sheathe his sword in the beating hearts of Rome's enemies.

I take note that even at the tender age of 14, this lad has a healthy libido, and has been chasing down women twice his age.

Good. Perhaps he can get started on fathering me some grandchildren. Let's just say that his coming of age ceremony will have women from the finest brothels in all the land, and that I'll be paying them quite handsomely to find him attractive.

Go get 'em, son. Make daddy proud.

Some nuisance brigands on the bridge near Belgrade needed killin'. This adopted nobody with a familiar name puts them to a swift and unmerciful death.

Word to the wise: If you're not flying the banner of Greece, don't come a knockin' on my doorstep with weapon in hand.

STATUS OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE
    TURN 25 REPORT: 1116 A.D

Status of Constantinople:

Governor: Emperor Aleksios Komnenos
    Population: 21,844.
    Current Projects: Construction of the University of Constantine, Great Library of Constantinople, various government buildings, barracks, merchant wharf, brothel

Status of Thessalonica:

Governor: Vasileios Villas
    Population: 6,083
    Current Projects: Market, Inn, School, Land Clearance, Church.

Status of Nicaea:

Governor: Evarestos Evgenikos
    Population: 5,027
    Current Projects: Inn, Market, School, Land clearance.

Status of Athens:

Governor: Prince Ioannis Komnenos
    Population: 4,589
    Current Projects: Inn, Church, Town Hall, Land Clearance, School

Status of Corinth:

Governor: Kalliparios ek Lesvou
    Population: 3,247
    Current Projects: Land clearance, Marble Mines, Leather Tanner, Church

Status of Belgrade:

Governor: Aleksios ek Avidou
    Population: 3,075
    Current Projects: Improved walls, Land clearance, brothel, Leather Tanner

Status of Smyrna:

Governor: none
    Population: 2,598
    Current Projects: Church, land clearance

Status of Sofia:

Population: 2,507
    Current Projects: Church, Mustering Hall, Archer range

Status of Adrianople:

Governor: Theodosios Osparas
    Population: 2,205
    Current Projects: Stables

Status of Nicosia:

Governor: Areovindos Oresmis
    Population: 1,428
    Current Projects: Land clearance, Church, Stables, roads

Status of Durazzo:

Governor: Istvan
    Population: 1,386
    Current Projects: Brothel, church, mustering hall, land clearance, leather tanner.

Status of Scopia:

Governor: Efstathios Lampinos
    Population: 1,370
    Current Projects: none

Status of Arta:

Population: 1,352
    Current Projects: none

Status of Rhodes:

Population: 1,268
    Current Projects: Town Watch, tanner, land clearance, church, stables.

Status of Canakkale:

Population: 1,209
    Current Projects: Archer range, stables

A look at our diplomatic situation.

We are at peace with most of the known world, and have forged close ties with many Catholic nations.

The largest threat on our border is the Fatmid Caliphate, whose capital Cairo is presently a Crusade target of the Catholics. They will be busy for some time dealing with that.

The Norman King of Sicily has bitten off more than he can chew, and we stand aside to watch him hurl his men upon the spears of true Italians. Even the Kingdom of Leon-Castille will be after his head.

The Venetian Doge has likewise gotten involved in several wars. We kept our alliance with him, just so he could flail against everyone else and hopefully suffer the consequences of doing so. But we stand ready to terminate the alliance should he attack someone a bit more to our liking.

The Hungarians are allied to us and we watch them closely for any signs of treachery. We are well-prepared for any attack from the North, the West, or by sea.

That just leaves our dear allies, the Turkish Sultanate. They are at war with the Khwarezmid Empire, and will have to contend with the crusader state of Jerusalem, not to mention attempt to quell the Muslim rebels that surround his lands. Which means our Turkish "friends" are right on our borders, and they've more than they can handle. Since they were the ones that made us taste embarrassment and defeat at Manzikert, I believe it is time to pay them back for their incursions into Roman lands. These men view us as infidels, and have had no trouble breaking diplomatic agreements with us in the past.

I think it is time for the Seljuk Turks to crawl back under the slimy rocks from whence they came.

The current status of the Royal Family.

STATE OF THE DEFENSE OF THE REALM

"Report, General Theodosios."

Fort Opsaras

Over 2300 men protect Arta and Durazzo from Western incursions. A smaller fort north of Durazzo protects the settlement from land invasions.

Western Greece is fully impregnable.

"Excellent."

Fort Macedon

1,050 professional spears and archers are ready to defend the nearest three provinces, able to reach their gates well before the enemy, thanks to the Emperor's commissioned watchtowers and beacon communication system.

Central Greece is fully impregnable.

"And Belgrade? Constantinople?"

Danube Fort System

The Danube river now contains a system of bridge crossings, each of them fortified with a gatehouse and a nearby fort, with a garrison.

Spies keep watch over the Hungarian kingdom. We are completely safe from attack to the north. Belgrade and Constantinople will be quite safe. Safe enough to gain reinforcement.

"Good. Not perfect, but good."

Bithynian Fort System

A surprise attack by the Turks would be an issue, considering that the Eastern provinces have little in the way of professional soldiers. However, we can delay their assault long enough to send reinforcements.

"That's your answer? What if they have seige artillery? What if they arrive by sea?"

It would seem that we are still vulnerable in the East. The nearest help would have to arrive by ship. However, since the Emperor's plans include moving more than just a professional garrison to this region, and if all goes well, these provinces will no longer be frontier provinces at all, and will only need to be protected by a small naval force.

"Make the proper preparations."

And finally, your Excellency, the island of Nicosia.

"Yes, General. For too long, this island has been vulnerable to attack. What have you done?"

We've sent a governor to build proper defenses, and to train more professional soldiers. We also have built proper facilities so the soldiers will have better armor.

"Byzantine spears?"

We've already begun training them. Within a year or so, the Eastern part of the Empire will be just as impregnable as the West, and we already control the seas.

"Then we will be invincible."

Precisely, your Excellency. What orders now?

"Begin preparations...

It's time to avenge our losses at Manzikert."

Continued in Chapter Three.
    Last edited by Askthepizzaguy; 08-29-2012 at 16:23.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

Very nicely done ATPG! I'll be following this. Does anyone control Trebizond (sp?) at the moment? I can't tell looking at the minimap. Also, do you plan on doing an economic overview as well? Keep up the good work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

Near as I can tell, it's still a rebel province, but that region won't be captured by me until most of the rest of Asia Minor is in my possession. It's going to be difficult to support a defensive army in such a remote region without the economy to back it up, and it doesn't pose much of a threat to me. My maps could be out of date; if anyone does control it, it would be the Turks. Which is not that different from if the rebels controlled it, given my current attitude toward the Turks. It's all going to be a target soon enough.

As for an economic overview, I could list the provinces under my control, their population, and which economic buildings are present, plus their current income levels. Most of that information, however, could be found in the status of the empire report where I went through each province with the governor's scroll open, so I would view that as superfluous.

Do you mean just the scroll that shows my finances? I could screenshot that.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

I don't know if it's just me, but some of the images aren't loading properly, even when I refresh; could be due to the number of images on the board at once, but that still doesn't make sense.

Edit: Nevermind, there seems to be a number of images containing "errors".

That's weird. I'll have to fix that somehow.

EDIT: I replaced the images and they seem to work now. If anyone spots any images not functioning, let me know.
    Last edited by Askthepizzaguy; 08-29-2012 at 16:24.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

syö minun šortsini Member Space Invaders Champion, Metal Slug Champion, Bubble Trouble Champion, Curveball Champion, Moon Patrol Champion, Zelda Champion, Minigolf Champion El Barto's Avatar

I suggest you use Picasaweb.
    good lord| if you're telling the truth you're setting new records for scumminess as a townie -Renata on IM, 16/09/2011
    Feles deliberatissimae subiugare humanitiati sunt, et res solae quae eas desinunt canes sunt.
    I see I've been sigged yet again -Askthepizzaguy, 02/08/2012
    Hindsight is 20/20 Askthepizzaguy, 10/07/2013

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

Near as I can tell, it's still a rebel province, but that region won't be captured by me until most of the rest of Asia Minor is in my possession. It's going to be difficult to support a defensive army in such a remote region without the economy to back it up, and it doesn't pose much of a threat to me. My maps could be out of date; if anyone does control it, it would be the Turks. Which is not that different from if the rebels controlled it, given my current attitude toward the Turks. It's all going to be a target soon enough.
    I figured as much, just couldn't tell.

As for an economic overview, I could list the provinces under my control, their population, and which economic buildings are present, plus their current income levels. Most of that information, however, could be found in the status of the empire report where I went through each province with the governor's scroll open, so I would view that as superfluous.

Do you mean just the scroll that shows my finances? I could screenshot that.
    Yeah, I was talking about the finances scroll. Just wanted to know how your economy was doing. Income vs. Maintenance costs etc. is what I wanted to know about.

I haven't had any problems with the images that I've noticed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

Quote Originally Posted by Csargo View Post
    Yeah, I was talking about the finances scroll. Just wanted to know how your economy was doing. Income vs. Maintenance costs etc. is what I wanted to know about.

I haven't had any problems with the images that I've noticed.
    I'll include it with the next update.

I fixed the images that weren't loading, then. There were at least 4 of them.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Here it is, early.

Broken down:

INCOME
    Farming + Mining + Settlement trade [Base income level] = 8,263
    King's Purse [Part of Base income level].......................... = 1,800
    Subtotal A [10,063]

Income from taxes [High-Very High] Variable income rate........ = 8,600
    Subtotal A+B [18,663]

Merchant trade [income from merchants' trade routes] .......... = 1,583
    Subtotal A+B+C [20,246]

Miscellaneous.................................................................. = 594

Total income .................................................................. = 20,840

EXPENSES
    MANDATORY EXPENSES
    Army Upkeep [Amount likely to increase soon] ........................ = 11,876
    General's wages [Steady, increasing] .................................... = 3,880
    Income loss due to corruption/other ...................................... = 1,290
    Subtotal A [17086]

DISCRETIONARY EXPENSES
    Construction ..................................................................... = 3,380
    Recruitment ...................................................................... = 676
    Diplomacy/Tributes ............................................................ = 500
    Subtotal B [4556]

Total income ..................................................................... = 20,840
    Total expenses .................................................................. = 21,602
    Current [Turn 25] difference this turn..................................... = (762)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Current [Turn 25] treasury ....................................................... = 131
    Income per turn if no discretionary expenses: ..[20,840 - 17086] = 3,754
    Computer projection for next season's treasury........................ = 3,375
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

I haven't really played much Total War, but I must say this is very entertaining. Good job!
    But there ARE smilies on this forum! They are just well hidden. Hence the couch.
    I like Mafia! Play it at CFC! (and TWC)
    Why don't you have a bunch of quotes by famous and not-so-famous people?
    "There is no need to link Socialism to Evil, I live in Europe and have Free Speech." - strijder20 (lolwut?)
    "This thread is a either testament to the mods not giving a crap about us or their ability to be amused by our antics." - DoubleA (On this thread)

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaCow64 View Post
    I haven't really played much Total War, but I must say this is very entertaining. Good job!
    Thank you.
    Last edited by Askthepizzaguy; 09-04-2012 at 19:17.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

UPDATE COMING, hopefully today.

PREVIEW OF NEXT UPDATE: Some spoilers

Chapter 3
    Turns 26-75.

WAR!!!

• Catholic ally betrays Roman Empire
    • Roman Empire declares war!
    • Rome struggles against a larger empire with a standing army three times its size
    • Jihad declared at on the heart of the Roman Empire
    • Emperor Aleksios fights his final battle
    • Two factions suffer defeat!

Will Emperor Aleksios keep his promises, or will the Roman Empire lose a province, breaking the back of the Roman Empire and sending cities and generals into revolt?

Will the campaign end prematurely in defeat? Stay subscribed, and find out.
    ETA: Later today.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

PART I

Chapter Three: Let the world tremble as it senses all you are about to accomplish

1117 Anno Domini. Nicaea.

Evarestos Evgenikos, governor of Nicaea province, and Constantinople whenever the Emperor is away, dispatched a letter to Aleksios.

To his most honorable and wise Excellency:

You know that I have long served with and have the utmost respect for General Theodosios. His mastery of warcraft is unquestionable. However, I looked over the report on the inquiry of the status of the defense of the Realm and I noticed something overlooked. Under the section wherein it lays out a specific plan for the defense of our glorious capital, General Theodosios seems to be content with the Danube Fort System.

While I am sure this system will assist in delaying attack by our allies the Hungarians, it offers precisely zero actual protection of the heart of our Empire.

Indeed, my lord, as I am the governor of the neighboring province, the defense of my province and that of the Capital is my foremost concern. I do not believe that Adrianople alone will be able to assist in the repelling of any major invasion force, which I'm surprised Theodosios has not noted, which may come from the sea, not necessarily by land. As a veteran of Turkish incursions myself, I can attest to the fact that the enemy can show up at one's doorstep with little warning.

I offer a suggestion, an addendum to Theodosios' otherwise admirable plan: Include Nicaea in the plans for defense of the Capital. We are currently only prepared to hold out for a short time with a minimum of barely trained militia. Although military matters are not my foremost area of knowledge, basic defense falls under the administrative duties I am known for, and why you put me in charge of one of the Empire's greatest and most ancient cities.

My Emperor, let me focus the development of Nicaea towards military matters, not just economic ones. I know the Empire needs money, but we also need soldiers. The castle at Corinth is presently the greatest fortress in the realm, but it would be preferable if there were a great fortress close enough to the Capital to be able to supply relief forces by ship within a day. The Corinthian forces wouldn't arrive in time; ours would. But we have no forces to speak of.

If you should need to appoint another governor to oversee this transformation, I will understand, my Lord, but nevertheless I must still make the recommendation. I believe it is vital to the defense of the Realm.

- Evarestos Evgenikos

Governor of Nicaea

Governor Evgenikos, I approve of your suggestion. You will oversee construction. A mighty Fortress our God may still be, but stone and boiling oil is not bad either.

Turn 26

And so it is; Governor Evgenikos' plan to defend the heart of the Empire is put into effect. General Theodosios will oversee the outer provinces, while Evgenikos and Aleksios keep vigilant watch over the very heart of the Empire.

Turn 29

It would seem that the distant, newly formed Kingdom of Portugal did not last very long. The Iberian Peninsula must be a very dangerous place, especially when sandwiched between Muslims and Catholics at war. I think we Greeks know a little bit about that.

Turn 32

My son Isaakios has come of age. The lad has a keen interest in governance, and so I will see how he handles matters of state while he completes his education.

The Capital is now more prepared for any sudden incursions, as is the province of Nicaea, defended now by a mighty fortress of steel and stone.

All is quiet on the home front. It would seem that General Theodosios' plan for defense of the border provinces is strongly deterring the enemies of Greece, while the Emperor's emissaries have done much to ensure that we have many potential allies. Still, only the dead have seen the end of war. We must remain vigilant.

Turn 33

It would seem one of our merchants is robbing our competitors blind, and is raking in more profit than some of our lesser provinces, all by himself.

This man has done more for the empire than an entire legion of farmers and brickmakers. Although not even a member of the Royal nobility, he has caught the eye of Emperor Aleksios, and will be offered the protection of the Emperor's finest guards. A person of such value must be defended, even as he makes powerful enemies of his business rivals.

He's cornered the Gold market and delivering almost all of it back to the Empire. Gold means swords, arrows, shields, armor, and stone walls. Lack of gold means pitchforks and tattered cloth. This man is arming our soldiers almost single-handedly.

Guard him well.

Merely populating the Capital with soldiers is not enough; to best relieve a siege, it would be wise to have soldiers a day's march away from the city housed within forts that can be easily garrisoned by land and by sea. This fort will be named in honor of my son, Isaakios.

Turn 40

The Empire's finances, 1138 A.D.

The size and cost of our army is reaching the breaking point. We are well-defended, and soon, our enemies will taste the newly forged steel we have made.

Turn 43

Ha! Our attempts to revive the Christian community within the former province of Iconium have proved successful, my Lord.

Our spies have organized a rebellion, and taken control of the city! The foolish Sultan left his city so under-defended, that he was overwhelmed by the victory our rebellious forces have won here today!

This will be a portent of things to come. The Greeks may be beaten, but they will never be truly conquered!

Now we shall attempt the same in the province of Ankara. The Sultan of "Rum" thinks he is the master of the Roman Empire.

Little does he realize the Roman Empire is about to rise like a phoenix from the ashes beneath his very feet!

Turn 44

Young Prince Isaakios will deliver a terrible flaming missile of vengeance into the heart of the Turkish serpent.

As will Prince Ioannis deliver us to victory.... with blade and spearpoint.

The men seem slightly nervous to march off to war, after so long they have been at peace.

Emperor Aleksios stands before the invasion army and begins to speak.

This is the transcript, written by his Royal Biographer who is always in attendance.

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Aleksios Komnenos
    "Men of Greece.

Heirs of the Roman Empire.

Legendary soldiers of Athens, fighting warriors from Sparta, and men of Constantinople.

I stand before you today, a man.

I may be Emperor, but I am also a man.

A man is willing to give his life for what he believes; to defend the homes of his family, to turn back the vicious armies of foreign invaders.

A man is mortal. A man will die, always. Only our God can grant powers of immortality, and only our God can rise from the dead of his own accord.

I am an Emperor, but I am also a man.

Death comes to me as well. I have lived a full life, given back to the people who made me their leader, and laid the foundation for the revival of the mightiest Empire in all history.

I have become old. And one day, Death will come to me.

But I am not a man who wishes to die on his back, in the comfort of his bed, secure behind the walls of a palace, surrounded by ten thousand guards, behind the greatest walls Greek engineers can construct. For that is the death of a coward, or a man who is satisfied with all he has done.

I have NOT been sated. I have presided over one of the greatest eras of peace and expansion Rome has seen in hundreds of years. But peace does not make Empires, particularly when that Empire is still surrounded by its enemies.

The Turks who claimed much of our homelands, and still sit like sacks of bloated slime atop some of our own former territories. There are our Christian brothers living under their rule, the rule of barbarians who blaspheme the name of our Christ.

There are those who would have been our brother Christians who have taken from us our lands in Italia and Sicily. Our great city of Venice, gone. Then there is the ever-growing threat of Islamic forces occupying our holy land, spitting on the very earth our Christ has walked upon.

If I would be satisfied that I have reclaimed and defended the Greek homelands, then I will have forsaken my Roman legacy as well. We are not just men, we are not just Greeks, we are also the last of the Romans. And our lands are being held by barbarians who are trying to turn good Christians and good Romans to their own heresy and their own barbarous ways.

I, Emperor Aleksios, am not just the Emperor of Greece, but Emperor of the ancient Roman Empire, an Empire of Christ, our God.

These enemies of the Christian name not only threaten our very doorsteps here at home, by calling themselves the Sultanate of ROME, but they also hold the holy city of Jerusalem. Our Christian cousins, the Templar knights, are fighting a losing battle against the heathen. It is only a matter of time before all the Holy Land knows of Christ no more, and the civilization of Rome is forgotten, and replaced with Arab barbarism.

These enemies have taken from us our rightful lands. They have stripped us of our honor, they have killed our brothers and sisters, and they occupy our homes. They took the wives of our fallen soldiers, and made them into harlots.

For this, they must die. We can no longer tolerate their breed of vile scum on our doorsteps. So I am asking you to rid them of our lands, and restore our Empire. Should you win the day, you will no longer have to live in fear of another invasion by Muslim armies, for they will be defeated.

These are Rome's greatest enemies, who threaten our very existence. Perhaps the peace we established to buy us time to regroup and reinforce our borders has led to some forgetting about this history. But I have not.

So I am asking you to fight for Greece, to fight for Rome, to fight for Christ. I am asking you to fight, and even lay down your lives, in the name of Greece, and Rome, and our Christ.

But you are men, as am I. Within the heart of even the bravest soldier dwells the fear of death. But hear me now, men of Greece:

All men die.

You are already dead, as are your fathers and forefathers. There will come a day when only your children walk the earth, and then, only your children's children. What legacy will be theirs?

Should they die knowing that you were satisfied with peace? And with dying, alone, in your beds, as the enemy butchers our Christian brothers and spreads urine on the ground that touched the feet of our God? Would you die the victim of old age, rather than in conquest of those who would behead your wives and children?

I am not willing to die as a coward. I know some of you are brave enough to fight in defense of the walls of your cities. But are you brave enough to fight, so far away from home, that you may not see your wives and children again for ten years? Are you willing to fight in a land, surrounded on all sides by the enemy of Christ, with no hope of reinforcement? Are you willing to stand on ground, ancient and sacred, and give no quarter to the enemy, and fight to the last?

Are you willing, at the last, to die for Greece?

If you are not willing, go home now. Know this, men: What I am asking of you is your lives. I want you to die for Greece, not die as old men. Many of you will not survive the coming battles.

You knew when you became soldiers that you might die in battle, in defense of your homes. And the peace I have given you has made that an acceptable level of danger and risk for you. It is safer to be trained, and to hold a spear competently, when the enemy arrives at your doorsteps.

But I will no longer be satisfied with waiting for them to come! And come they will! They have taken all of the holy lands, and they threaten our walls here at our homes, the last of the provinces of the Roman Empire that are still free! Peace will not keep them from our homes. They are on a mission to kill or convert all Christians, and you all know this, for you have seen what they did when they conquered our lands in the East. What they did to our soldiers, what they did to our homes, and our families. Now they are all Muslim.

If you want to live as a Muslim, under the barbaric rule of a blasphemous Sultan who calls himself a Roman, a pretender to the throne, then you can go back to your homes and wait for them to come for your wives and your children, and they will come. They will come.

Our Catholic brothers from the lands far to the West have come far to fight against them, and they have fought gallantly. Worthy of recognition in the archives of the Roman Empire. But now, it is finished. They cannot turn back the tide of Arab barbarism alone.

You will die when they come and they try to conquer our homes. If you live through the battle, they will still come. They have been coming for hundreds of years, and have steadily gained ground. And we brothers in Christ are their targets. And we continue to fall to their swords. Even if you live, they will come after you have gone, after you have died, they will come when your children must fight in your stead.

Do you want your children to fight the battles that you refused to fight? Do you want them to fight in defense of their homes, possibly to be butchered by the heathen enemy of Christ? The barbarians that call themselves Romans, who kill true Romans?

Would you rather take up arms, and fight in the glorious name of Christ, for the glory of Greece, for the glory of Rome, and take your spears and shove them deep into the beating heart of the enemies of God, and make them suffer and die for their crimes past, and prevent them from ever coming near our homes again? Would you rather wipe them from the face of the Earth, and leave a land that is TRULY at peace, populated with Christians, united as brothers, sovereign rulers of the known world? Would you rather fight and die to create a world that is safe for men to speak the name of Christ, wherever they may be? Would you rather create a world where these bloodthirsty savages never again desecrate our holy lands, and our homelands, and call themselves what we truly are, FELLOW ROMANS?

I am asking you to die, as men.

I will not ask you to do what I am not willing to.

I ride to Iconium. There, the Christians have overthrown their Muslim masters and are fighting for their independence, but their numbers alone cannot turn back the Muslims who still control parts of the city. Those Muslims were allowed swords and spears and bows, and our Christian brothers were not, for they were considered less than men by their Muslim overlords.

At Iconium, I will fight the enemy. I will be surrounded by the heathens who are oppressing and killing our Christian brothers. I will be vastly outnumbered, in a battle far more mismatched than any I would ever ask you to fight.

I am not asking you to throw your lives away for nothing. I will only send you into battles I think you can win, or battles that require the iron-fisted defense of our homelands, where you must give no quarter no matter the odds. But you must see death, and be not afraid.

You will fight, and free your Christian brothers at Iconium. There, you will hear of my death.

When you hear that tale, you will understand what it means to be a warrior of Christ. A true Roman.

A true Roman is willing to ride into battle knowing he will die. And he will fight a thousand times more fiercely for Rome than any unwashed Muslim could ever fight for lands that never belonged to them in the first place.

I give my life for Rome, knowing that I will not come back. Do I fear death? Yes. Do I want to live? Yes. I want to see my grandchildren grow up into men.

But I would rather die for Rome, and have my grandchildren see a great Empire I have left for them. I would rather my grandchildren hear tales of my heroic deeds in the name of Christ, and in their name. I would rather my grandchildren know that I died for Rome.

My son, Ioannis, is your Emperor now. Death comes to me.

But I am not dead yet!

And death will not come to me, before I have fought in battle against the heathens, and slain one hundred of them with my own sword.

When you come to finish what I have begun, know that I fought and died for Rome, and that I fought and died to keep as many of you alive as possible. You must do the same for your wives and children. For as much as you love them, you must love Rome equally as much, and fight for Rome just as hard.

ARE YOU READY FOR A WAR?

Then follow me, men! Fight to the death if you must, but make sure you take ten of the barbarians with you before you do, as all Romans should! Do this, and you will see Rome restored to glory!

HEROES OF ROME..... WE MARCH TO BATTLE!!!

"My Lord, the Seljuk loyalists hold the settlement, and our Christian brothers hostage, and the outnumber our guards by a factor of twenty to one. This battle is one they will not be coming out of alive. Are you certain you want to order our men to charge through the gates of the settlement?"

"They will charge, and they will fight. And none will retreat. I asked these men if they were willing to die for Rome. Now we will show the Seljuk what it means to be a TRUE Roman."

These were the last words I heard Emperor Aleksios speak before the battle, as I rode back to Nicaea. I left the gates of the settlement open for him, and escaped with my life. The Emperor called me brave for taking on this mission for him, but I did not know bravery until I saw him charge the gates of Iconium. Let the world remember who this man was.

-Anastasios Zonaras

When the city was captured, the Christian men who witnessed Aleksios' deeds recounted the tale.

The Seljuk loyalists saw that the gates had been sabotaged, and some of their garrison charged out to meet Aleksios in the open field.

Emperor Aleksios rode into battle, and began to butcher them mercilessly. He rode ahead of his own guard, protecting them with his own body. His royal armor was bathed in blood within seconds.

Surrounded, he could not protect his men forever. They fought well, and took down half of the enemy forces. Hundreds of Seljuks lay dead in their own streets, at the hands of Roman Warriors.

With only a few guards left, he charged into the heart of the settlement, and was surrounded by the Seljuk on all sides.

It is said that he shouted to his loyal guards that this would make it easier to kill the enemy, for they were everywhere he could swing his sword. And he did swing his sword, and killed a hundred men in the process. This act was witnessed by the Christians of the settlement, and is in no way an exaggeration of the events. The Muslims we later captured said the exact same thing of Aleksios. They were still afraid that his body would come back to life and kill more of them.

When the last of his guard had been slain. Aleksios did not run from the battle, but he did lure the enemy behind their own walls, out of the path of their archers and spearmen.

It is said that this act was not meant to keep him alive, but to ensure more Muslims lay dead by his hands.

The General of the Seljuk Loyalists rode after the Emperor, thinking that he would be the man who would slay the Mighty Aleksios.

The men who were watching the battle from the house ten feet away watched as the Emperor dismounted and charged the Saracen leader, with arrows piercing his armor but not slowing him down.

Surrounded entirely by enemy horse, Emperor Aleksios slashed the face of the Saracen's mount, and the overconfident commander fell to the ground. When he stood, he saw the lone figure of Emperor Aleksios charging him with his sword, as his own horsemen could not stop him in time. The Emperor seemed utterly impervious to steel blade or flaming arrow.

The look on his face was dauntless, unbridled fury. Blood dripped from his royal visage, and turned the cloth on his royal garments completely red. A flaming arrow had struck him in the back, and had begun to burn his royal dressings. The man was stabbed, impaled with arrows, and literally set ablaze, surrounded by the enemy, and still he continued to fight without mercy.... without relent....

The Saracen saw Aleksios approaching him, and began screaming for Allah's intervention. He turned and ran away from the sight of our Emperor, fighting alone in a sea of his own men.]

The Saracen fled for his life, like a whipped dog. And he was stopped by one of his own men's arrows, biting him in the foot. He could still fight, but he could not run.

He turned and raised his sword to Aleksios, and swung in desperation. Aleksios did not even try to block the blow, as it seemed he had already chosen his next move, and that move was to destroy the Saracen General.

With a blood-curdling cry, the Saracen Mustafa was slain by the sword of our late leader. The sword impaled the Saracen through the chest, through the man's armor which was now in tatters.

Mustafa's men watched with horror as Aleksios withdrew his sword, and their leader fell to his knees. Aleksios swung his blade mightily, and cut off the head of the Saracen General right there in the sand, in front of his own men, in front of the Christian onlookers, and under the watchful eyes of God.

He then turned around and his battle cry pierced through the din. The flames which had consumed the fabric on his royal garments were now consuming the Emperor himself.

The man charged, engulfed in flames, toward the remaining Saracen Cavalry.

They turned and fled in horror. The entire rest of the Saracen army hid, as their archers continued to fire, in the hopes that they would kill the unkillable man.

But it was not their arrows that killed him. The Emperor was cooking alive inside of his own armor, and removed it so that he could continue to fight. He was overcome from the flames just as he removed the last of his armor.

He fell to the ground, ablaze. He was laughing victoriously as he did. He continued laughing long after most men would have been unable to breathe.

When he finished burning, none of the Saracens touched his body. What they witnessed, they considered a sign that God was displeased with them, and that he had sent a monster to slay them all for their impurity.

In the Muslim world, Aleksios is now known by another name: The Great Fire Demon.

Emperor Aleksios promised he would say one hundred men. But he more than quadrupled that amount. He kept all his promises; to Rome, to the Nobles, to Greece, and to God.

He fought like a warrior poet. He fought like the Spartans of old. He fought like a true Roman. And he broke the back of the Seljuk loyalists.

When we came for them several days later, they emptied their bowels in fear. They were barely able to turn back the fury of 43 Roman men.

Now there would be a thousand more. They prayed to their God, and prepared themselves for their deaths, wondering what they did to infuriate Allah so mightily.

Never forget what Emperor Aleksios did here today. He inspired bravery in our troops, and taught us what it means to live AND die for Rome.

We march to finish what our glorious Emperor has begun.

None shall escape his wrath, even as he lays dead and buried.

Turn 46

Meanwhile, our newly crowned Prince marries a Genoese Princess. We are now one family with the Italian nobles, and the unity of the Rome of old is already begun.

Turn 47

A thousand volunteers offer to take the city of Iconium, and return with tales of the deeds of our fallen Emperor.

They charge the gates, which have not yet been repaired. The enemy are swiftly routed.

They fight to the last man, not because of bravery or a will to fight, but because they were surrounded and there was nowhere else to go. Fleeing the city was not an option, for our main forces camped a day's march away.

They offered to surrender if we showed them mercy. They deserved none, and were offered only death.

A statue of Emperor Aleksios was erected on the spot he fell. His body was buried in a royal tomb at the exact center of the town square. The site is now a holy place in Roman culture.

Turn 48

But we are not here merely to dispose of Seljuk-loyalist rebels, holding Christendom hostage. We also take the fight directly to the Seljuk and his dogs on their home turf.

Turn 49

We spit on this peace treaty with the Seljuk. As long as they are committed to the wholesale destruction of Christendom, and our Christian brothers, they will be the enemies of Rome.

Other Christian nations do the same. The Seljuk are the enemies of Christ, and now feel the wrath.

Hearing word of our glorious Emperor's deeds, the Christians at Ankara attempt to overthrow their Seljuk overlords, and rout the governor and his garrison. Once again, Seljuk loyalists from Armenia crack down on the Christian revolt, but we arrive within a day and lay siege to the settlement. Liberation is at hand.

Turn 50

Captain Rusdi surrenders after the briefest of fights. He heard what we did in Iconium, and would not see his soldiers to suffer the same fate.

But still we butchered two thirds of his men. We massacred them in a matter of 10 minutes, and they began to throw down their swords and flee.

"Great empires are not maintained by timidity."

- Tacitus

These lands belong to Rome. Now take thy unwashed filth back to the desert, cowardly dogs!

General Theodosios take the Seljuk stronghold of Isparta, claiming it in the name of Rome.

The sky is dark and the only light comes from our torches, and the lightning strikes above. The heavens are shouting the name of Rome.

We batter down the gates, and soon, even iron begins to break and buckle underneath Roman might.

Through the gates, our spearmen charge. The enemy are quickly demoralized to see so many of us inside the walls.

Our generals charge their archers, unwilling to see our men be struck down from afar.

The remaining spearmen retreat to the center of the settlement. We surround them with our own archers, and hold them back with our spears. We hold our fire long enough to let the moment of utter dread sink in. Then comes the ferocious volley.

The enemy do not hold long under the rain of arrows, and they charge our spearmen in vain. We crash into them from behind with our heavy cavalry.

The combination of spear, arrow, and lance breaks the rest of the men, but we do not simply allow them to surrender. They are butchered without mercy.

All Muslims in the settlement are put to the sword, except those who renounce Mohammed in the Christian name.

The Empire's finances, Turn 50.

Our Royal Family, 1153 AD

Faction Information.

Our Royal Family, 1153 AD

Diplomatic Status.

The Fatmid Caliphate has the mightiest army in the known world. Our spies report that but a fraction of their army dwarfs the size of our own entire standing army.

This army is at the gates of our Christian neighbors, the Templar Knights.

Soon, we must send aid. If we leave this up to the Catholics, then all will be lost to the armies of Muhammed.

Soon, we march for the glory of God and the Roman Empire, and strike with flaming swords deep into the belly of the infidel.

Continued in Part II
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

PART II

Chapter Three: Fortes fortuna adiuvat

1155 Anno Domini. Caesarea.

Emperor Ioannis Komnenos, commander of the largest legion, begins the long, slow march toward his destiny
    after liberating the settlement of Ankara.

His sights are set on the holy lands. But first, there is this poor beggar, upon which he will wipe the grime from his boots.

First we shall make a line of our Archers, that no man stands between them and the enemy. They are more effective when firing in a direct line, rather than an arc.

Next, to ensure that they not be routed, I shall assemble a line of armored spearmen to the left and the right, that they might close the gap between them should there be a frontal cavalry charge or infantry battle.

This will ensure the safety of our Archers, who are the cornerstone of our grand strategy. To kill a man and not die is great; to kill an army and not die is grander still.

Next, we shall have a unit of heavy infantry ready to charge the center of the line, in case heavy fighting requires their strength and force of arms.

Finally, our cavalry shall defend the flanks and chase down skirmishers.

But this is just the beginning.... General Istvan will reinforce our position.

But we shall not allow General Istvan to have all the fun. From here, you see our archers in the distant position, firing flaming arrows upon the silly Turkish cavalry. They consider themselves masters of horse archery, but the fools do not realize that 120 archers on horseback present a very tempting target for 800 archers on foot with flaming arrows. We are able to shoot them down with a minimum of casualty.

The enemy have brought up their heavy cavalry. For these horse to charge our line would be a disaster; for them, not for us. Now they too face the gauntlet of flaming arrows, and are flanked by our missile cavalry.

They will never get a formed charge in against us, even if they slip past our cavalry line.

Difficult to see here, but our enemy advances their main line towards ours, and our missile cavalry slip behind them.

In the melee, all does not go as planned, and some of our archers get exposed to enemy attack. However, we have slain the enemy general who would choose to charge into them.

Our spears make short work of him, as our cavalry pins him against our spears to prevent escape.

When the Saracen General is slain, his men rout, and Emperor Ioannis cuts them down like grass, along with our other cavalry.

General Istvan could not believe his eyes, to see the enemy was utterly annihilated before he could arrive.

Our armies have reached the gates of our enemy's most heavily guarded fortress, and their current capital.

Be not afraid, men. We have a plan.

Our spies have sabotaged the gates. We shall remove as many of their lives as we can with our archers, both on foot, and on horse, and then we shall withdraw those forces and advance with our heavy infantry and spears.

Our archers fire long, over the walls and into the den of snakes.

While the enemy are distracted, we send in our cavalry to crash the gates and fire on them at point-blank range!

The enemy immediately take the bait, sending half their force after our brave cavalrymen.

Our archers now target a distracted, moving target. They cannot be counterattacked as easily.

Their infantry gives chase through the streets of the settlement. We fire mercilessly.

Our archers depleted, having done nearly half the damage we need done, we withdraw them from the battlefield and call in reinforcements.

Our cavalry charge the wounded infantry they have harried, but find that a formed charge is harder to perform in the close quarters of the settlement alleys.

Still they fight onward, like true men!

We send in our spearmen to attack the enemy general. Now we shall overcome them!

Our fresh reinforcements storm the castle, routing their weakened and exhausted forces. The enemy runs and hides at the center of the settlement, where we have them cornered.

The enemy put up a strong fight, we lost more men than we would have liked, particularly our cavalry. A hard battle, but the enemy is no less dead for that, and we still killed two men for every one we lost, when the battle conditions should have strongly favored the defending force, in such a fortress!

Emperor Ioannis
    has sent the idiots scampering out of their strongest bastions of defense. They retreat into the mountains.

Caesarea is a Fortress which boasts superior facilities. Here, we shall make our defense, and our stand, as we regroup and prepare for the next stage.

The Seljuk realize they've been beaten, and head back to the pile of rocks they would hide under.

With these conquests, our finances look much better. Our taxes and farming alone cover the cost of our armies, which gives us more we can divert to new construction.

After getting whipped so badly, even the most vicious cur will beg for forgiveness.

Give us what remains of your Sultan's treasury for the next 10 years, and perhaps we won't slaughter you all where you stand. If we don't feel like it and have better things to do, you understand.

Turn 54

The Turks gone home to lick their wounds, the cries of desperation from the neighboring Templar Order do not go unlistened to.

Emperor Ioannis begins to stage an invasion.

At Sinop, we will rout the band of rebels and make this province Greek once more.

A fairly straightforward battle wherein our archers disposed of them with little resistance.

Turn 55

Meanwhile on the home front, our reinforcing armies happen upon a band of brigands who are blocking an important supply line. Our freshly trained heavy cavalry charges into battle!

Their missile cavalry poses a true threat. But we are nearly as nimble as they, and more cunning.

The enemy general is slain easily by our heavy cavalry force, pinned by our lighter cavalry, and the infantry rout like children in a swarm of bees.

Would that I not have already many great generals, for this man would otherwise gain a promotion for his brilliant fighting today.

Turn 56

The Caliphate seems to be having some troubles with a plague. Surely this plague wouldn't be caused by one of our own?

There is only one way to test this theory. Perhaps he will go to another settlement and see if the same thing happens there. After all, for the plague to kill the Caliph's men, to weaken them, before we arrive, that would be a sign that God favors us.

You can't argue with the science of God's favor.

Turn 57

Well, it would seem to be the case that the Caliph has plague all throughout many of his settlements. Every single one we visit with our scout.

Coincidence? I think not. This must mean these men are unwashed beggars after all, if they can't learn basic sanitation.

They should bathe in public, like us. Far more sanitary.

A noble son of the Komnenos family comes of age. This one is the grandson of Aleksios, and will serve our Empire well.

Now, he trains under General Theodosios, one of our most experienced veterans.

Turn 59

Our landing party drops in unexpectedly, at the port of Damietta.

Greetings former allies of the Fatmid Caliphate.

You have attacked our new allies the Christian Templar Knights. This is unacceptable to us.

Lower your banners and shields and surrender your settlements.

We are the Romans. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!

Faction Summary, turn 60.

Diplomatic situation, turn 60.

Military summary, turn 60.

Taking the Nile Delta will enable us, a small but faithful band, to cut off Alexandria from resupply and reinforcement, and prevent this region from launching any counterattacks.

Our enemy is engaged with the Templar Knights. Frankly, those Frankish men can handle themselves for now. They will force the Fatmids to divide their forces to meet both threats, or have their settlements conquered unopposed.

Divide and conquer.

The first battle was so overwhelmingly in our favor, it makes little sense to go into detail.

The enemy were never going to even inflict two dozen casualties on our massive invasion force. We have conquered.

Now we must take to the bridges, and fortify our position. Our navy will blockade all their ports, and engage any of their ships. We will not be attacked by sea, and by land, the enemy must go directly through stone, spear, arrow, and over water.

Needless to say, we have the Fatmids in a delicate position. Now they must attack, for if they should fail, they will slowly fall.

Turn 61:

At long last. The enemy have finally called upon their God to save them. The armies of all Islam now march toward Constantinople, while the bulk of our forces are now engaged in hostile, distant lands.

God Preserve us.

Turn 62:

General Istvan leads an all-cavalry force to Alexandria. There he will pillage the lands, and encircle the greatest city in Egypt.

They will wish to come out and fight him. I hope that they take the bait.

The enemy do not fight so well without archers.

Nor do they learn their lessons well.

Our plan here is simple, our missile cavalry will go around to their rear flank while we harass them from the front. The enemy will have nowhere to run, and no safe place to turn their backs.

Our pieces in place, we force the bank rank checkmate.

Little armies do not fare well against a small contingent of cavalry.

We prepare to assault the capital of the Fatmid Caliphate, a mere eleven turns after we did the same to the Seljuk Turks.

Losing three great settlements at the heart of their homeland will be devastating enough, but worse, the riches that we will find in these cities will more than pay for our occupying forces.

As any good accountant knows, that means we can train another massive army, to defend Constantinople from the terrifying armies of Islam.

We did not go light on the heavy infantry this time. And now we have proper equipment to decimate the walls.

So far, everything has been easy. But we have not yet begun to feel the wrath of the Caliph, or the endless armies of Islam.

Soon, we shall taste the vengeance of our adversaries, and lose friends most dear to us.

Continued in Part III
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

PART III

Chapter Three: He who endures, conquers.

1171 Anno Domini. Cairo.

Emperor Ioannis Komnenos, conqueror of the Seljuks, now prepares to make the Caliph's beard his most personal of wash towels. In the desert heat, his Royal nether regions become very sweaty indeed, and the Royal jewels must always be clean and exquisite to admire. Some may say that this is a lot of effort to go through to obtain a wash cloth. However, the Emperor's jewels deserve only the finest and silkiest of the strands of the Caliph's beard, woven into the finest and rarest of fabrics, to wipe his sweaty hindquarters with.

Let none doubt this obvious fact.

Now then, to the battle at hand. There seems to be some rabble of spearmen and a general encamped inside some kind of fortification. I recommend killing them, sire. Let's call that Plan A.

Those spearmen guarding the gates of the settlement are ripe targets for our archers.

The best angle is from the side, from a distance, so we can get a shorter arc. We also fire just over the walls instead of more straight up in the air like.

We breach the gates, and the enemy spearmen are engaged in close quarters combat, while our archers rain death upon them mercilessly from their rear.

This is not a good position to be in when defending a settlement. Not only do your walls confer no advantage, you can't even engage and rout my archers. They can fire at will.

Use the enemy's walls against them!

The routed forces make their final stand at the center of town. Our spears and swords finish the bloody task, not so easy considering how many of them there were.

But, we still killed more than 2 men for every one that we lost.

Here, we shall sack the city. Our fighting men deserve the spoils of war from this gutless enemy.

A general wandering around without his army? Only Aleksios was so brave. This one is merely foolish.

Another dead rat on a pole.

Aha, now this is a battle more worthy of my time.

No cavalry? It seems I was mistaken.

A landing party of some spearmen and a horde or our archers takes the westernmost Fatmid province of Benghazi.

These may be peasant archers, but they have brought some armor, and a hundred arrows for every one man they wish to slay today.

Not led by a general, our forces decided to simply try to take the walls with our heavy infantry first, rather than batter down the gates.

This plan works, and we fire flaming missiles into the enemy until none move and all are burned to cinders.

So eager to fight, even these peasants armed with knives charged into battle. A little impetuous, don't you think? Try fighting a little smarter next time.

Nevertheless, this province is almost entirely Muslim. In order to maintain order here, we must make an example of them.

All the men are hanged in front of their wives. Their wives do not dare oppose our rule. Get thee back to farming sand or something, and respect my authoritah.

My lord, a whole host of the enemies' most brutal forces are at the gates of one of our fortified positions. Even if we charge in to win this battle, reinforcements lie a day's march behind them. We could be surrounded and our invasion could end right here!

The forces at Alexandria sally forth to attack our General Istvan! Let us hope we have swift steeds and sharpened lances.

Oh yes. You see, the enemy general charged out well ahead of his men, and was peppered to death and then charged.

Witnessing the death of their leader, and the coming cavalry charge, thunderous hoofbeats, and the sky blackened with arrows, the enemy turned tail and began to run.

Away from men on horseback, who are much faster. Not the best strategic decision. Is there an echo in here?

I think we will take your greatest city, yes. Thank you very much for handing it over to us so generously.

Turn 63:

Our noble daughter finds a brave and competent noble man to marry. Would that she would find someone younger, but this man will do.

Our Prince Phillipikos, marches deep into the desert to find the enemy's final stronghold in Egypt, in the upper nile region of Luxor. Here it would seem an army of Jihad has just departed for our shores.

Now we shall claim their lands in the name of the glorious Empire.

The balance of forces is evenly matched.

We cannot reinforce Damietta from Cairo, lest we possibly lose the settlement and the campaign. If we lose half of our army here, the enemy can reinforce at will, and we cannot.

We make our stand. Pray that the enemy turn back from our gates, unwilling to try to take our well-defended camps.

Turn 64:

Another mediocre general wants to marry my noble daughter. We are fighting a war, and so I will accept this man as a noble, that men would fight for him more bravely.

The enemy march to meet our prince in the open field. They must have taken their stupid pills this morning.

D'-uhhhhhh.

Oh happy day. A general all alone in a settlement. Would that I had some spearmen, but this will do. This will do quite nicely. Some mercenary infantry perhaps.

We have destroyed enough of the enemy force to be considered the strongest faction, but a closer examination reveals more reasons to be afraid.

Our spies report that the enemy still have reserves, and reserves, and reserves, and reserves for those reserves.

*pleading*

My lord, we cannot win this day! We must retreat back home and defend our Capita-- UGGGH!!!

Some good news; our noble allies have fought well, and are trying to counterattack the Fatmid.

They have more zeal than brains. But an excellent distraction, they are. Very shiny. I particularly like the white robes.

My Lord, if these men march on Luxor, we may lose the settlement, or our Prince. Neither are acceptable outcomes. We must do something, now!

Reinforcements from Caesarea, led by Prince Andronikos Komnenos, will bolster our men's resolve.

Turn 65:

It would seem that Fathead is dead, too feeble to even march to meet us in battle. What a pity. I would have liked to mount his head on my wall.

Our allies have lost their leader. Will this break the backs of the Order, or will they survive long enough to be of use to us?

Let's at least get behind the walls. It might be of some, marginal, help.

We sent the nubian infantry to fight, and they fought poorly. They did weaken the enemy general and make it easier for the rest of us to slay.

Acceptable losses. Non-greek mercenaries. Now we don't have to pay them!

Now the Fatmids have been purged from here. Will they march to Luxor and take the province, forcing us into total defeat?

Our military forces are ranked better than theirs for the first time.

Our gains in territory.

There was never any doubt, our faction has more people under the Emperor's rule than theirs now, even if many aren't Christian yet.

Overall, we are slightly better than our Fatmid counterparts. But the war is not yet begun.

We delay the enemy advance by sabotaging the bridge and building a fortification as a stumbling block. Reinforcements are coming, and we have trapped them on the other side of the Nile.

Turn 66:

Our forces unite. Now we do not fear their armies' advance. Indeed, it is now the enemy who should fear us.

Their forces must be divided indeed; they no longer form a vast and unstoppable host in the Holy Lands.

Perhaps they are hiding, trying to lure us into an ambush?

The differences are becoming clearer now.

We now double their population. But still we should not count them out.

A minor battle for a minor stray army.

And... defeated.

Where are all their forces?

"General.... they're here!!!"

My God........ have mercy on us!

Continued in Part IV
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

PART IV

Chapter Three: A good general not only sees the way to victory,
    he also knows when victory is impossible.

1179 Anno Domini. Upper Nile.

Prince Philippikos Komnenos, conqueror of Aegyptus, prepares to meet the armies of Captain Abu Ubaydah on the glorious field of battle!

Unfortunately this is less a glorious field, and more a desert wasteland. But worry not, glory is still to be found today.

Our cavalry, led by Philippikos, harass the enemy general and force him to break away from his group, where he is surrounded and he breaks.

When he turns to flee, our cavalry charges into the enemy.

Was it all a ruse? The enemy general turns back around and rallies his men to his cause. Hoping to break the army quickly, we are instead forced to play the patient game, and fire from afar with our arrows. We call in our reinforcements.

Finally, the enemy general truly breaks, and his army is well-scattered. We send our wounded forces to withdraw, and call in fresh reserves.

When the enemy flees the battle, we ride them down and capture 600 of them!

A crusade is called on the Pagan kingdom of Lithuania. We are forced to break the alliance with them.

Turn 67:

Armies of Jihad are but a day's march from the Capital! Prepare our defenses.

Turn 68:

My Lord.... there are even more of them. This is a battle we cannot win!

Should we try to break one of their armies, we will sustain losses to our vital garrison, and they may not be able to survive several sustained assaults. We must remain inside the walls and wait for assistance.

Gaza.

The stronghold of the Fatmid Caliphate. A Fortress that has not been captured in centuries.

If we do not take this place, more armies will come forth from here. This is the head of the serpent, we must cut it off, no matter the cost.

Turn 69:

Our Capital is surrounded by more armies assembled in one place than we have ever seen! If we do not hold these walls, the campaign ends in defeat!

Our relief forces are not equipped to handle an enemy of this magnitude!

Messages of distress have been sent to all Greek provinces, and those in Asia Minor. We need assistance, NOW!!!

Emperor Ioannis Komnenos, Prince Philippikos Komnenos, General Andronikos Komnenos, General Istvan, General Theodosios, General Vyrennios
    , and our entire invasion force marches on Gaza.

If we are to lose our Capital, we must at least take theirs in one final show of Roman vengeance!

The settlement will not be easily taken, my Emperor. These are highly trained, heavily armored infantry, and the best cavalry in all of the Caliphate. The Caliph's royal brethren defend the settlement personally, and the walls are doubled. Relief forces are already en route. Even starving them out will not work, and we will not outnumber them when we arrive.

My Emperor, a great number of our men will die in the coming battles.....

Turn 70:

The enemy threatens checkmate. WE MUST STOP THEM NOW!!!!

Our relief forces are not very strong, just merchant cavalry. We have some poorly trained militia, some mercenaries, and Greek archers.

Against an enemy this size, I do not expect we can crush the enemy in this battle. It will weaken us and then, we have nothing left to defend the Capital against the next three armies.... four armies.... five armies.....

Then let us make a good show of it. Show these Muslim rats how true Romans fight, and die.

Our archers on the walls prevent the enemy from advancing, and our spears hold the entrance of the settlement, giving our general a place to flee. Unfortunately until relief forces arrive, he might do this himself.

The battle is utter chaos. Our relief forces arrive and charge the enemy recklessly. Their commander is not used to battle, and our general must lead our own forces into an ill-advised attack. Our archers must come down from the walls and engage the enemy at close range!

Our general fights long and hard, but ultimately gives his life for the Glory of the Empire.

He fought like a true Roman today. Our allies lick their wounds, and we fight on without a commander.

We surround the enemy. If they are to deal us a damaging blow today, then we must ensure none escape alive to fight us again.

We lost a third of our defensive forces today. Half of our cavalry, and too many of our infantry. How can we hope to win the coming battles?

There are some defeats more triumphant than victories, and some victories that are too costly.

Let us finish off the survivors.

Even this battle was too costly.

We need a strong general to lead us to victory, otherwise all will be lost.

We push back their siege forces, but now they outnumber us by three to one. And our forces are damaged, and theirs are fresh.

Reinforcements are necessary, or defeat comes soon.

Our three greatest armies lay siege to the enemy Capital. Perhaps we can win after all....

CLICK *End turn*

The enemy have surrounded US, my lord! They outnumber us three to one, and are attacking our flank, our men on the other side of the siege cannot join us on the battlefield.

Should they be able to crush our forces here, we could lose too many of the Royal family. I bid thee, General Istvan and General Theodosios, break off from the seige and retreat.

You are to protect the Royal Family.... give the enemy a target, divide their forces for us, that some of us may yet prevail.

And General Istvan.... fight well for your men. Remember Aleksios.

General Theodosios.... fight well.

General Andronikos Komnenos... tell your men that the Royal Family will not allow our standing armies to perish. Fight well.

The enemy swarm around our forces, causing a series of strategic retreats by our Emperor and Prince. But the forces of General Istvan, Theodosios, and Andronikos are the odd men out.

The enemy, sensing blood, sensing death, direct their fury against the weakest third of our invasion force.

A mostly cavalry force, with only a few true Greek spears, and not nearly enough Greek archers....

I saw General Theodosios fall to his knees in prayer.

We shall harass the enemy with our cavalry archers, and slay the enemy commanders with our own.

Our infantry are meant to stay alive. Do not allow them to fall this battle. There are more armies approaching!

Our commanders follow in the footsteps of Emperor Aleksios, and use their bodies and guards to protect our men.

We lose half of our cavalry, and too many of our general's guards. But the infantry survived.

We lost General Istvan here today. Our men mourn the loss of so great a man.

Dear God, more are coming!

General Theodosios, stay alive! Stay alive!

It cost us almost all of our cavalry, and half of our archers, and more than half of our mercenaries, but we have won this day.... Pray that our Byzantine Infantry do not break in the coming battles, for they are all that remains of our army, once so great.

LORD HAVE MERCY, MORE ARMIES ARE APPROACHING!!! GOD SAVE US!!!

General Theodosios, WE CANNOT WIN THIS BATTLE! WE CANNOT RETREAT! WE ARE DOOMED!!!!

Our forces have become tired, bloodied, and broken. We have barely any cavalry, and our infantry cannot hold against a force of heavy infantry and so many enemy cavalry....

Quote Originally Posted by General Theodosios
    "Men of the Roman Empire. Men of Greece.

The enemy have been beaten twice already, and we have crushed them. They have outnumbered us, with fresher forces, and still they fell. Because we have better commanders? Perhaps, but more than this, what is it about our army that causes us to continue to prevail? We do not turn and flee when the battle becomes hard.

This is your hardest battle. Men..... DO NOT BREAK.

STAND AND HOLD THE GROUND WITH YOUR LIVES!!! DO NOT FALTER!!! FIGHT TO THE LAST MAN!!!!

GLORY TO ROME!!!"

Andronikos Komnenos
    : "Fine speech.... Now what do we do?"

General Theodosios: "I will rally the men. You must destroy the enemy general, whatever the cost. Go behind the enemy lines and rout their commander, and then finish the task. I will hold the line and hopefully we will survive until the final wave hits us."

Andronikos Komnenos: "This is not the final wave, Theodosios. The enemy have more men, more armies coming. It will not stop."

General Theodosios: "Then God has willed us to die. But we will not die before we have slain every last one of them."

Andronikos Komnenos: "Die well, my friend."

General Theodosios: "Die well, my Lord."

Andronikos manages to slay the Saracen general, but his men still advance and do not break.

The enemy reinforcements arrive. We may have routed some of their men, but we still have another Saracen leading his army of heavy infantry and cavalry.

We are completely outmatched. This is not going to go well.

Andronikos knows that he must take the Cavalry and attempt to slay the enemy general.

Andronikos cannot defeat his guard, and dies in the attempt, and our cavalry is nearly destroyed, fleeing just before they are completely destroyed.

General Theodosios cannot take on the enemy army, and must attempt to stay alive, even as the enemy general chases him, and the enemy cavalry slam into us from all sides, trying to break our men's resolve.

There is nothing left, no more tricks, no more moments of triumph which will break the enemy. The enemy have us encircled, our infantry engage, our cavalry defeated, our archers useless except as infantry.

Our general outmatched, he runs. He rallies the men, telling them to give no quarter.

The enemy cavalry break off, only to charge into us once more. Slamming into our line from the north, and then the south. Again, and again, they crash into our men.

The enemy general continues to pursue. General Theodosios does the unthinkable, and charges into the rear of the enemy spears and heavy infantry, trying to cause them to break.

They do not break. He fights his way through their line, trying to reach our own men, that he might take refuge behind our spears, even though we are completely surrounded by the enemy. It is a desperate move.

The enemy general's force is still larger, his guard more massive, and he follows Theodosios into his own men.

We are now swallowed whole by the enemy. We fight to the death.

The enemy general, overconfident, follows General Theodosios into the sea of men hacking one another apart, and soon, he cannot tell the difference between his own men and ours.

He leads the enemy general directly into the center of our own spearmen, who gleefully take note that the Saracen General is within reach.

General Theodosios roars one final battle cry.

"KILL THAT WRETCHED SON OF A WHORE!!! HE DIES ALONGSIDE US TODAY!!!!"

The badly bloodied Greek spearmen, exhausted and outnumbered, roar in affirmation of the order they were given, and stop fighting the enemy army, instead charging their bodies directly into the Saracen.

He falls, and our men cheer victoriously.

The enemy cavalry cannot charge into us any longer, as their infantry completely surrounds us.

They look on helplessly, as our reinvigorated forces gleefully push outwards, taking on fresher and better-armed men all around them. General Theodosios himself escapes from the melee, and charges the enemy horse, who turn tail and run at the sight of our GLORIOUS general, bathed in Saracen blood.

He continues to fight, and slams into the enemy infantry, who although shaken, still refuse to break. Not harassed by enemy cavalry anymore, he turns, and does another charge, and slams into them again. And again.

He roars with frustration, the enemy do not break, but neither do our men. He tries again, losing more of his guard, and again.

Now only he and two of his guard remain. They die in the next charge.... he turns and charges again, and again.... and now, he sends our Byzantine archers out of the melee, and orders them to circle around to the back of the enemy, and press our forces together, sandwiching them, surrounding them, even if they still outnumber us.

The enemy cannot believe their eyes, when they see a contingent of archers with swords appear seemingly out of nowhere, led by a lone general on horseback.

Believing relief forces have been sent from our Emperor, unaware of the maneuver we have just executed, distracted by the melee, they believe that they have been surrounded, and that their general is dead. They are correct about one of those beliefs.

Finally, at the last, they break.

Our general does not allow them to flee. He hunts them down, one by one, slaying each of them with hatred and fury. He avenges every man we lost today.

The survivors limp back to their camps, and tell the Saracen leader that they have lost six of their armies, and have not only failed to rout our forces, but that they were ambushed.

The told the Saracen General that they were ambushed by an army of ten thousand men, hiding in the trees, and that there was nothing that could be done.

They told the Saracen General that their forces were obliterated by two thousand men on horseback, wielding weapons that could not be turned away.

They told the Caliph that Allah had cursed them, and sent angels down from heaven to fight at our general's side.

They told the remaining armies of the Caliphate that Allah would not have mercy on them this day, and that their only hope against an army so massive, was to retreat.

They told the Caliph himself that General Theodosios, and his army of TWO THOUSAND HORSEMEN, and TEN THOUSAND ARCHERS, and TWENTY THOUSAND SPEARMEN, could not be defeated!

And so General Theodosios became known as the man who is ten thousand men.

His forces, bloodied and broken, were not attacked again that day.

The armies of the Fatmids did not know whether to advance on our Prince and our Emperor, even though it would have been an even fight.

They saw what happened to the other five thousand men they sent against us, how they were all annihilated. All annihilated. They hesitated.

Meanwhile, our Emperor heard of General Theodosios' triumph against half of their armies, and ordered his men to attack and finish what Theodosios began.

General Theodosios became a legend, while he still lived.

And remember, the man was 66 years old when he killed half of the Caliphate on a single day. God only knows what this man could have done in his prime.

This is the man that has kept us safe since the time of Emperor Aleksios, and the fort in western Greece still stands to this day, ensuring armies from the West never break through those mountains.

But the mountains have nothing on Theodosios, who is more than a mountain, and more than nine thousand men.

Over nine thousand? Indeed.

General Istvan and Andronikos Komnenos, son of Emperor Aleksios, both gallantly gave their lives, to keep China British.

General Theodosios, on the other hand, became so legendary, that his bodyguard was said to be unkillable. He was forever surrounded by men who were themselves renown as heroes who could not be slain, who had men that followed them around and would not let them die. He was given gifts of armor and horse from all across the lands.

But Theodosios would go out on top. God has seen what he did this day, and soon, will ask him to ascend to heaven, and fight by his side against the armies of Satan.

He passes into the great beyond soon. But the end is not yet.

Turn 71

Emperor Ioannis, once known as a chivalrous man, heard of the relentless slaughter of the Fatmids and vowed that he would do the same, as Emperor.

He vowed that every last one of them would lay dead by his hand, whether they surrendered or not.

He could have charged them head on, like a gallant warrior, but enough greeks had died. Now, he turned and attack their weakest flank as well, just as they tried to do to General Theodosios and his men.

Now they would taste the same sort of dishonorable fighting. DIE, YOU WORMS!!!

They run, they hide, but the Emperor comes, and does not have mercy.

Brutally, he slaughtered them. They had no chance. Their cries to Allah went unlistened to.

More of them break off and retreat, and he hunts them down.

So terrible was the fire that fell from heaven, that none survived.

So terrible were the arrows we fired, so many of them, that it seemed as though God and Satan were both attacking the Fatmids at once, with the forces of heaven and hell, all together.

And we rounded behind the enemy, and slew them.

And they fell, and continued to fall.

And we have only begun to fight.

When all is said and done, we broke the armies of the Caliph. And now we lay siege to his fortress.

Our heroic archers lead the way.

Our armies unite, and march together.

Into the breach they go.

But a sickness has come over our Emperor, who marches back and forth as if possessed by spirits, unable to attack or retreat.

It would seem that when spies open the gates, and we possess a trebuchet, and are inside the fortress, the devil possesses us and does not allow our allies to make moves that make any sense.

Apparently this is what our scholars and historians refer to as a "game-breaking bug that makes me want to smash the keyboard", whatever and whoever that is.

What foul curse this is. Still, we march on, with our archers alone. They fight like true men, even if our Emperor has gone temporarily mad.

Our Prince wins the day by himself, for the most part.

Curse be upon thy game designers.

We comb the desert, and find some droids.

A Greek general and a few men on horseback with bows make an army.

And now Emperor Ioannis marches on Jerusalem, and find Alladin, the Genie, Jasmine, and even this sorceror-lookin' guy.

Emperor Ioannis Komnenos will now take Jerusalem in Christ name.

But unlike Christ, when he comes, it will not be to teach mercy and to love thy enemy.

CONTINUED IN PART V
    Last edited by Askthepizzaguy; 09-08-2012 at 18:03.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

General Istvan and Andronikos Komnenos, son of Emperor Aleksios, both gallantly gave their lives, to keep China British.
    Monty Python reference, eh?

Anyway, brilliant update.
    But there ARE smilies on this forum! They are just well hidden. Hence the couch.
    "There is no need to link Socialism to Evil, I live in Europe and have Free Speech." - strijder20 (lolwut?)
    "This thread is a either testament to the mods not giving a crap about us or their ability to be amused by our antics." - DoubleA (On this thread)

Save files, so you can follow along
    Last edited by Askthepizzaguy; 09-09-2012 at 09:26.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

More saves.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

And the rest of them.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

May I ask who are my subscribers who are downloading and following the campaign? Would be interested to pick your brains since you've got front row tickets.

Notice I've been saving before major battles so you can fight them yourselves.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Quote Originally Posted by Askthepizzaguy View Post
    May I ask who are my subscribers who are downloading and following the campaign? Would be interested to pick your brains since you've got front row tickets.

Notice I've been saving before major battles so you can fight them yourselves.
    I would, but unfortunately I do not own a copy of any Total War game at this time. *sigh* I really wish I did though.

The Bad Doctor Senior Member Chaotix's Avatar

I'm mostly lurker, but I did want to let you know I am watching and enjoying.

Interestingly enough, I took nearly exactly the same expansion route the last time I played I Byzantium. However, this was more over a 200-turn period rather than less than 100 turns.
    Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer: The Gameroom

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast